Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Very nice BM. The Breitling reminds me of this Heuer which was posted on TZ yesterday.
    a99e6c9b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

According to my research (google ;)), the Calibre 11 was a joint effort by Breitling, Heuer, Buren and Dubois-Depraz.

Marcusm wrote: »
    The Breitling has a Heuer movement?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

[vintage nerd]:o
    bogmanfan wrote:
    According to my research (google ), the Calibre 11 was a joint effort by Breitling, Heuer, Buren and Dubois-Depraz.
    Yea a very important milestone in modern horology that movement. Very strong and reliable movement to boot.
    So when I was offered an original (46mm) in trade for my JLC I had to jump at it. It's in amazing condition for a 42-year-old watch, with nice sharp edges to the case. I suspect it's been re-dialled at some stage, and also had replacement hands. Also, although it's a tritium dial, the numbers seem to have luminova coating, so has probably been relumed at some stage also.
    They've good strong metal cases on them lads. The hands may be replacements, but I'm not that familiar with that model. Still I've seen hands even older than that "look like new" so they're just as likely to be original. As for the redial I'm not so sure. If it is one it's either made in house by Breitling themselves or it's the best third party dial I've ever seen. :) Don't be thrown by the lume in thinking it's luminova. Tritium doesn't burn out the phosphor material to nearly the same degree as radium. So after the tritium is inert the phosphors can still glow brightly from exposure/charging with strong light. My Heuer Bundeswehr chrono is slightly older than your Brietling(1967) is all original(save for the bezel), has the original Tritium dial and hands and both glow strongly if exposed to light though the tritum is well dead.

Have to say love the Breitling BMF. A rare statement from me :D. Big watch too. More in keeping with current fashion that's for sure. The 70's stuff tends to be. That time seems to be the start of the move towards the larger cased watch. Before that only "tool" watches were of a larger size and you'd look weird back in the day wearing one. It was more about "elegant/dress" watches. Every day mens stuff was waaay smaller than today, even some tool watches. Men have been getting larger in limb since the invention of the wristwatch with better diets so that would have something to do with it I suppose(not fatter BTW, just bigger). That and the show off thing we all have ;):). As well as fashion the smaller watch was considered a greater show of the watchmakers art. I remember my dad discussing watches with mates and showing off how thin a dress watch was. Quartz kinda did away with that. Then there was less likelihood of a smaller watch smacking off something while wearing it. [/vintage nerd]

TL;DR? Only gorge BMF, well may you wear. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Thanks for the detailed response Wibbs. I guess I just assumed because it looks so good that it was a service replacement, but perhaps not. The only vintage models I've owned previously were a Speedmaster and a Rolex Datejust, and both looked considerable more 'worn' than this one. Hopefully you're right, and I just got someone's safe queen. :D

Wibbs wrote: »
    [vintage nerd]:o Yea a very important milestone in modern horology that movement. Very strong and reliable movement to boot.

They've good strong metal cases on them lads. The hands may be replacements, but I'm not that familiar with that model. Still I've seen hands even older than that "look like new" so they're just as likely to be original. As for the redial I'm not so sure. If it is one it's either made in house by Breitling themselves or it's the best third party dial I've ever seen. :) Don't be thrown by the lume in thinking it's luminova. Tritium doesn't burn out the phosphor material to nearly the same degree as radium. So after the tritium is inert the phosphors can still glow brightly from exposure/charging with strong light. My Heuer Bundeswehr chrono is slightly older than your Brietling(1967) is all original(save for the bezel), has the original Tritium dial and hands and both glow strongly if exposed to light though the tritum is well dead.

Have to say love the Breitling BMF. A rare statement from me :D. Big watch too. More in keeping with current fashion that's for sure. The 70's stuff tends to be. That time seems to be the start of the move towards the larger cased watch. Before that only "tool" watches were of a larger size and you'd look weird back in the day wearing one. It was more about "elegant/dress" watches. Every day mens stuff was waaay smaller than today, even some tool watches. Men have been getting larger in limb since the invention of the wristwatch with better diets so that would have something to do with it I suppose(not fatter BTW, just bigger). That and the show off thing we all have ;):). As well as fashion the smaller watch was considered a greater show of the watchmakers art. I remember my dad discussing watches with mates and showing off how thin a dress watch was. Quartz kinda did away with that. Then there was less likelihood of a smaller watch smacking off something while wearing it. [/vintage nerd]

TL;DR? Only gorge BMF, well may you wear. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

bogmanfan wrote: »
    The only vintage models I've owned previously were a Speedmaster and a Rolex Datejust, and both looked considerable more 'worn' than this one. Hopefully you're right, and I just got someone's safe queen. :D
    :D maybe and a good find BMF. It so depends on how they're worn and looked after. Materials and quality of same can make such a difference. I've a 1916 Longines that you could say to a non watch person nutter "oh that? Got it ten years ago" and they'd likely believe you*. It looks "newer" than another 1950 Longines I have. Some models and materials can look remarkably fresh if looked after even a little bit. Most speedmasters that were looked after look pretty fresh. Ditto for 60's Rolex. IWC dress watches of the 50's can look brand new. Patek Calatravas can be very hard to date by looking at them. Could be 50's, 60's or later. I suppose quality lasts.

*mostly down to the dial I reckon. Early wristwatches tended to use ceramic/porcelain rather than metal dials which so long as they don't crack look exactly the same as the day they were made. Pity they're so delicate. Plus many were made with either high quality nickel or silver cases which will polish up like new. Look at this American lad's ebay stuff. He does full back to new looking restos on early wristwatches and all the parts are original, just cleaned and polished. When I say just, I'm more than slightly negating the work the guy puts in to be fair. Lots of effort and skill. Not my bag, I prefer the patina of age, but design wise aside they look like watches made yesterday.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Great watches Bogmanfan you know how to pick em I will tip my hat to you on that. Love the Breitling hybrid ;-).

Now with all your purchases comes sales ! Lets be having ya ? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The P52 got new shoez (from the watchbancenter).
    Only problem was that the end links were a bit too beefy for the fancy lugs and holes didn't quite line up. So I spent three hours yesterday evening attacking the bracelet with a file :D (luckily all the scars are hidden under the swivel lugs)

I like the result very much, the hevay bracelet balances the heavy watch out nicely and is actually more comfortable to wear than on the strap even though the whole ensemble now weighs in at a whopping 230 g.

193924.jpg
    193925.jpg
    193926.jpg
    193927.jpg
    193928.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

Today, it's my recently acquired Stowa Marine Original.

iml4cm.jpg

zter1f.jpg

I bloody love the Stowa range dancrowley. Very understated and elegant. Very little bling going on. Classic styling with little movement touches to match. Look at the vintage stylee regulator on that beauty. Just like they had back in the day. Handwind too, none of this automatic lazy boyo stuff :D Lovely watch DC, well may you wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

I bloody love the Stowa range dancrowley. Very understated and elegant. Very little bling going on. Classic styling with little movement touches to match. Look at the vintage stylee regulator on that beauty. Just like they had back in the day. Handwind too, none of this automatic lazy boyo stuff :D Lovely watch DC, well may you wear.

Many thanks, Wibbs! I've a soft spot for what these guys deliver, too. This was my first Stowa, and for sure it won't be the last. They had a sale recently, and I picked myself up one of what you see below... it's one of just 19 (w/black hands, logo and date); they're unsure if they'll make any more of these, so for now it's a "Special Edition".

photo2sku.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

These watches are an absolute steal. I was in a high-end watch store last night trying on pieces which cost many times what I paid for the Marine Original, and the sales guys couldn't take their eyes off it. Definitely worth the 3-month wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

I have always had an interest in watches but don't have many and this was given to me at the weekend.

Its a Stainless Steel Baume but thats about all I know of it. I believe it was bough in America in the fifties, new or secondhand I don't know, so it maybe older.

I have ordered a new strap and spring pins, as you can see from the last pic, a soldered wire was previously used to hold it onto the old type military straps. It also needs a good cleaning as it has been in a box for at least the last 25 years. These pics were taken tonight without flash, so the quality is not great.

Anyone know anything about this type watch, there are none like it an the old internet?

Thanks

79338905.jpg

29243958.jpg

Looks like 1950's to me alright. Stylish looking. Are Baume the same as Baume et Mercier? I think so, in which case it's a good solid maker and would have some value alright. How big is it? Size affects value as vintage tends to be smaller than the monsters of today :) If it's around the 35mm wide mark then that helps, if under 30 mm not so much.

Like you suggest I'd get it cleaned and oiled, slap a strap on it and wear it as a bit of family history. You won't see anyone else wearing one anyway. Nice present.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

peasant wrote: »
    Is that mechanical? ('tis very thin)

If so ...any info on the movement?
    Apologies for the delay; it had slipped my mind. The movement is a Universal 1-42. The original seller's movement pic.
    Movement%20Universal%201-42.JPG
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Universal_42_1

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Looks like 1950's to me alright. Stylish looking. Are Baume the same as Baume et Mercier? I think so, in which case it's a good solid maker and would have some value alright. How big is it? Size affects value as vintage tends to be smaller than the monsters of today :) If it's around the 35mm wide mark then that helps, if under 30 mm not so much.

Like you suggest I'd get it cleaned and oiled, slap a strap on it and wear it as a bit of family history. You won't see anyone else wearing one anyway. Nice present.
    Thanks Wibbs for the reply. Just measured it and its 35mm outside diameter. Its keeping good time, so not interested in opening it up as yet. Apart from leaving it to get serviced (and cleaned), any tips for a general cleaning of it myself to start with.
    Thanks again.

35 MM is a nice size, especially for vintage. Myself I'd leave it pretty much alone C. Down the line maybe get a pro to polish the case? Stainless steel is a beauty for this. About the best material for a watch case for longevity. A new glass properly fitted and in keeping can make a helluva diff with a vintage. Leave it alone and wear it on a nice strap and enjoy it. Nice watch. Kudos and well may you wear. :)

OK I've been saving the pennies and taking a leaf from Peasants book(a very good book BTW. Cheap too :)). Been keeping my poor monetarily constricted eye out for bargains. I have a couple pending but here's one I got in the post...(for mid range G-Shock money too)

194776.jpg
    It's a Hampden "wristlet" watch(on a period so called Kitchener strap I had laying around) from before world war one. Like 1909. Over a century old. It's a lever set watch. What this means is that rather than pulling out the winding crown to set the hands, you have to flip the lid and slide out a lever under the 5 and then the crown will set the hands. Very steampunk looking too, I've been informed by the better informed/younger set :).

The case is fixed lug and very high quality. I have polished it up a little, I could make it like new, but I like the patina of age.

The movement is very nice. Most early wristwatches are low jewel ladies pocket watch movements. 7 jewel or less. Not this bad boy. 15 jewel in screwed chatons and micrometer adjustment with very fancy finishing on the plates.
    1676701_4_l.jpg
    That's the movement in a pocket watch, but you get the idea(it's like 25mm :eek:). IMHO our Yankee cousins were massively ahead on this score at the time and after. With a few notable high grade Swiss exceptions(Zenith/Longines/Omega) early wristlet movements were very workaday. Early Rolex movements with the very rare exception of their extra prima line were pretty basic, even crappy. An Elgin or Zenith would blow the majority of Rolex movements out of the water IMHO. Nearly a century later my 1916 Longines is consistent to a few seconds a day either way. And I don't spare the horses when I wear it at least once a week. Hell I had a bad fall that left me wrecked and I even landed on it, but it kept on going. These early wristwatches are not nearly as delicate as claimed in my experience. I wouldn't go swimming in one but otherwise I've been surprised.

The only thing is the dial. It's an original (and rare enough in my searching) Hampden dial alright and the hands are right too, but one doesn't fit the other quite right... The dial is designed for radium paint, the hands aren't. Luckily I found an American chap who sent me the right dial for the hands and at a daftly low price. Like just over a tenner. And he was overly cautious in his description. Nice guy. I could have looked for the right hands and keep the existing dial instead but they're rarer again.

Hopefully I get one more "grail" watch, if my funds will allow. Fingers crossed...:o:)

This has been brough to you, by the Vintage nutter society of Ireland. Down with automatics and reliable water proofing we say. New fangled nonsense. Haaaarumph. :)

Is that a birth year watch W. :D

Banned... :)

Testing!

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Morning all,

For some reason the IWC flieger chrono and I werent getting along, so it promptly got moved on, and i had the opportunity to buy another classic pilots watch that i have always wanted to try, Breitling Navi in tri compax format, chuffed with it :)

Also bought from adverts so that was nice, thats a few watches ive bought and sold in ireland which is always good!

be1b695d.jpg
    8ec289fc.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Very nice Cyrus, the only Breitling that I like. It looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

That's a great looking watch Cyrus. That along with the Speedy are two of the most classic/timeless chrono's ever IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Looks great Cyrus - that's the only Breitling I have ever thought of buying. Wear it well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭pychofairy

Lovely watch Cyrus. Well wear.
    Can't help but say I'm absolutely raging because my offer was accepted first.
    I had the cash ready and was in the process of arranging a meeting with the seller when he suddenly wouldn't answer my calls and the add was mysteriously withdrawn. Very poor and ungentlemanly form from "adamc".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

pychofairy wrote: »
    I had the cash ready and was in the process of arranging a meeting with the seller when he suddenly wouldn't answer my calls and the add was mysteriously withdrawn. Very poor and ungentlemanly form from "adamc".

Ouch :o

Not to put a downer on Cyrus' new watch, but if this was the case I'd suggest reporting/flagging that seller for the relevant Adverts mods. To be fair they take that kinda thing from sellers pretty seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Sorry but it was nothing to do with me, i had asked the seller to keep me informed if the deal didnt go through (which unfortunately happens more than not for higher value items on adverts) and that id match the offer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Yep, sounds like it had nothing to do with Cyrus, but I'd report it to the adverts mods all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Homer

Was it the Navitimer on adverts?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If you search for withdrawn Breitlings, you'll see it on the first or second page.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement