Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

U21 team for tomorrow has both midfielders from last years minor team. Back in September there were long stretches of the game where Tyrone minors took over on kickouts/breaking ball. Thought Tyrone were more athletic in the middle that day. (Centre back/centre forward are last years minors also)
    This is a big stepup in physicality, Roscommon could have an advantage there. Adam Gallagher would have been safer option for midfield maybe?
    Obviously people monitoring form of Gallagher, Coen, Regan, Diarmiud OConnor.
    Think Darragh Ruane on the bench could be a good future prospect. Might feature at some stage in defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Isnt Cunniffe very injury prone as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

U21 team for tomorrow has both midfielders from last years minor team. Back in September there were long stretches of the game where Tyrone minors took over on kickouts/breaking ball. Thought Tyrone were more athletic in the middle that day. (Centre back/centre forward are last years minors also)
    This is a big stepup in physicality, Roscommon could have an advantage there. Adam Gallagher would have been safer option for midfield maybe?
    Obviously people monitoring form of Gallagher, Coen, Regan, Diarmiud OConnor.
    Think Darragh Ruane on the bench could be a good future prospect. Might feature at some stage in defence.

Looking at the Mayo team i think a few positional changes will be made. The rossies are apparently missing a few through injury and they find it tough to win in MacHale park at any level.

Hard to know with underage level but the Western people have tipped Mayo to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

What is the story with Chris Barrett anyhow? When is he back? Pity to see Kevin Keane having a tough time, looks like a player with low-confidence.

Keane looked very frustrated the last day and conceded some silly fouls, he hasn't had a good year so far but it's early days and there's still plenty of time for him to improve, we need as many options in the back as possible, especially if Horan is going to keep up this experimenting with Higgins. Varley is another man that looks a bit flakey so far but the talent is there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Guys, looking for a favour.

If any of you season ticket holders are not planning on going to the Club finals on St Patrick's day, don't let your season tickets go to waste. Please pass them on to Castlebar Mitchel's supporters. You can also send them on (pdf's) to Mayo Club 51 and they will pass them on to a Mitchel's club representative. Full details on how to order and download the tickets are on http://mayoclub51.com/season-tickets-free-entry-club-finals/

Thanks for your help.

Great idea, will definitely send them on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Guys, looking for a favour.

If any of you season ticket holders are not planning on going to the Club finals on St Patrick's day, don't let your season tickets go to waste. Please pass them on to Castlebar Mitchel's supporters. You can also send them on (pdf's) to Mayo Club 51 and they will pass them on to a Mitchel's club representative. Full details on how to order and download the tickets are on http://mayoclub51.com/season-tickets-free-entry-club-finals/

Thanks for your help.

Have passed on our 2 tickets to Cbar lads.
    There are 2 more which aren't mine but I might be able to pass them on, but I haven't got "the nod" to do it yet :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

I'm planning on going up Monday to croker. Can I just use my cairde on the day or do I need to apply for a ticket online?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Rawhead wrote: »
    I'm planning on going up Monday to croker. Can I just use my cairde on the day or do I need to apply for a ticket online?

Different tickets, we have the GAA season tickets, Chairde Mhaigheo tickets from what I am aware do not allow entry to the club final in Croker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Rawhead wrote: »
    yop wrote: »
    Different tickets, we have the GAA season tickets, Chairde Mhaigheo tickets from what I am aware do not allow entry to the club final in Croker.

Apparently the County Board are working on having them accepted for the club final.

Apparently the County Board are working on having them accepted for the club final.

Mighty. Be great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Anyone heading into McHale park tonight for the u-21 game?

Roscommon will be strong but Mayo have some talent on the team too. Should be a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Will it be covered live by MWR?

Kalyke wrote: »
    Will it be covered live by MWR?

I honestly couldn't tell you..

Definitely updates on the Mayo GAA Facebook page though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Live on Mid-West.

Throw in 7.30pm.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Anyone heading into McHale park tonight for the u-21 game?

Roscommon will be strong but Mayo have some talent on the team too. Should be a good game.

Looking forward to it.
    Kitterick from Westport at full back is getting rave reviews, so that will be interesting.
    Also step up for a lot of the minors, think midfield might be too light as lads who are 18 yrs of age are still light compared to a lad of 20 or 21.
    Coen and Regan and Campbell will cause havoc and COS also at FF.

Lovely evening though going to be cold!

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Live on Mid-West.

Throw in 7.30pm.

There's the answer.

Fair play to MidWest, you can say what you want about them but you can't fault them on their coverage of Mayo GAA..

Looking forward to it.
    Kitterick from Westport at full back is getting rave reviews, so that will be interesting.
    Also step up for a lot of the minors, think midfield might be too light as lads who are 18 yrs of age are still light compared to a lad of 20 or 21.
    Coen and Regan and Campbell will cause havoc and COS also at FF.

Lovely evening though going to be cold!

I've heard a few people saying this, it could be a problem.

Regan has been in great form the last couple of months, hopefully he can carry that into this evening. Gallagher is obviously a key player too.

Good evening for a game alright, should be a decent crowd in there too.

As we predicted we are being beat around middle Ruane overlooked as first sub defender Was best defender in U21A club championship n reports on his Hastings appearances were good

Roscommon 3-5

Mayo 1-3.

Half time score.

Breaffy co commentator mentions Michael Hall n Liam Irwin as possible game changers :) It seems problem is at midfield n defence We havent had that many wides really

• Advertisement

4-10 to 1-8.

11 point win for Roscommon.

U-21's well beaten. Roscommon better in every department, physically and technically. They took a big support too, definitely outnumbered the Mayo contingent, fair play to them but they're a hard bunch to listen to when winning :D

Only positives to take is that it was a young Mayo team who will learn from that and there will be a few who will definitely make the step up to senior.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

padd b1975 wrote: »
    4-10 to 1-8.

11 point win for Roscommon.

Terrible

Very poorly selected team No way to look past it Midfield should have been Adam Gallagher and Anthony Jordan as the runner. Jordan won more ball than both midfielders, coming on with the game already gone. Darragh Ruane should have started or at least come on and pick up Murtagh. He was the only defender with the size, speed n aggression to be able to limit him
    The game was 14 scores to 9 Alot of those scores self inflicted with how we setup. The County U21 A champions Moy Davitts featured just one appearance off the bench tonight. They had a simple tactic all year get goals at one end n prevent them at the other Ruane was no 1 in that regard He held Evan Regan scoreless which is rarely done at club level Didnt make the first 8 defenders tonight!! Kept on the bench

Very poor display from us, lacklustre and idea less, a lot of blame on the side. Felt sorry for P Prendergast as he was clearly out of his dept, putting him and Diarmuid, are they both 18?, into the middle there was a big gamble and didn't work out.
    Our no 2 had a nightmare and can't believe he stayed on the pitch.

O'Shea was ur stand out player. outside of that it was a learning experience for the young lads.

Rossies will be eat alive by the Dubs if they get to meet them. Big strong team but we caused all them goals ourselves.
    Our record is poor at U21 for the last few years, so a review is certainly needed if we are to compete, that said I can't say we can be disappointed with a minor AI and our seniors have back to back AI appearances. I'd give up U21 success for progression in them 2 competitions.

Cracking evening for football.

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Terrible

Yep.

Listened to it on the radio, but from what I could make out, what little gameplan they had came unstuck when Roscommon cranked it up a notch.

I suppose it's always a hazard with very young and inexperienced players.

Was really expecting something to happen at this level this year, but they just can't seem to get it together.

Tonight was an alarm call to modernise at this level or get left behind. Solve at least one problem to start with. We were bossed physically by Roscommon. In the modern game speed n power is crucial. I don't see how some of the minors could be physically at this level Some of those young players would be eaten by the physicality of u21s in Cavan Cork Dublin n as we seen tonight Roscommon All Mayos players are all on the correct strength programs but they wont be ready for another year minimum some of them. U21 should be packed with 21/20/19 year olds in that order

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Yes a lovely evening for a game of football,we were soundly beaten in all departments,full back line was all at sea.Struggled to win any ball around the middle until Conor O Shea moved out there.He was our outstanding player tonight,serious potential.
    Evan Regan and Adam Gallagher had disappointing outings,the inside line were very ineffective.
    That Roscommon team has a serious potential to compete at the later stages of the All Ireland series,extremely fit,slick in movement and physically strong.Huge contingent of Roscommon people in McHale park tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Lads, hard luck but ye are putting too much emphasis on the fact some of yere lads are only out of minor, we had the fullback, a midfielder and Murtagh corner forward (who destroyed ye) minor last year, but for injury the center half forward who would have stared was minor last year, 6 of our minors from last year finished that match this evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Very poor display from us, lacklustre and idea less, a lot of blame on the side. Felt sorry for P Prendergast as he was clearly out of his dept, putting him and Diarmuid, are they both 18?, into the middle there was a big gamble and didn't work out.
    Our no 2 had a nightmare and can't believe he stayed on the pitch.

O'Shea was ur stand out player. outside of that it was a learning experience for the young lads.

Rossies will be eat alive by the Dubs if they get to meet them. Big strong team but we caused all them goals ourselves.
    Our record is poor at U21 for the last few years, so a review is certainly needed if we are to compete, that said I can't say we can be disappointed with a minor AI and our seniors have back to back AI appearances. I'd give up U21 success for progression in them 2 competitions.

Cracking evening for football.

We weren't 'ate alive' by The Best U21 Team Ever in the 2012 AI U21 final and but for a few subs we could have held out the final eight minutes when we had the lead. That team contained more key players (the remaining ones just so happen to be exact same ones that played in 2012) than this year's Dublin panel and that doesn't even account for Ciaran Kilkenny's injury. This Roscommon team is better than the one that contested that match.

If we get that far I'd have no worries about being devoured by Dublin or anyone else. Always amazed by the blind hype that surrounds Dublin.

Oh, and you conceded goals because you weren't good enough to mark our well-signposted FFs, one of them half-fit. Those players have been doing that at every grade all the way up and at senior too. Also, one of our midfielders is 18, the other 19. Very little difference in age or experience.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement