Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I did week 1 day 2 last night and found it much harder going than day 1. Especially the first half. I felt quite stiff but much better today (the day after) than I did the day after the first.
    I did about 45 mins of indoor football tonight though and now I'm stiff as a board.

Are you stretching properly before and after?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Are you stretching properly before and after?

"properly", probably not but I do go through a few stretches before doing the runs.
    But I didn't stretch out before the soccer at all, and only barely afterwards. Only myself to blame I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lolamars29

hi all, i have recently started doing a couch to 5k called 5k runner. i am finding it really good, as i never run and have a mental block about it. i am on week 4 now and i am finding it good but it is getting more difficult every day, i did my 2nd 5k on tues where i use the app to do it. got a time of 36 mins which i was happy enough as took 2mins off the 5k from 2 weeks before. glad to see other people are doing this, i can never see me been able to run for all of a 5k tho. maybe if anyone has achieved this they can let me know....

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

lolamars29 wrote: »
    glad to see other people are doing this, i can never see me been able to run for all of a 5k tho. maybe if anyone has achieved this they can let me know....
    You need to read some of the previous posts... mine included :) Keep at it! :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lolamars29

oh great thanks!! fair play you have reached your 5k goal!!! fingers crossed i will get there in the next 4 weeks.!! by the way did you lose weight on the scales by anychance?? my legs feel like tree trunks today and very fat...lol maybe its after the 5k on tuesday my muscles are still not use to it.

• Advertisement

Week 2 Day 1 done this evening.
    It was torture for the first half and I very nearly called it a night but I pushed on and got it done and found a new lease of energy in the second half, still tough going but I got there.
    As hard as it was, this evening afterwards is the best I've felt yet.

@lolamars29: I lost about 1kg in the 8 weeks of the C25k although I wasn't too focused on weight loss - I figured it would drop naturally as I worked through the sessions.

@Savage Tyrant - Haha, I love the feeling *afterwards* too. During... hmm, not so much :)

Week 4 day 1 done today....a 3 min, a 5 min jog, a 3 min jog and another 5 min... I came to a realisation that I LOVE running.
    The muscle aches have gone, I day to day feel like I have more energy, I'm losing weight. I even feel more confident oddly.
    And when I'm running, it's a "head rest" from other stuff. Just me and my music and sometimes my imagination.
    I've quite a long way to go but I'm loving getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

Myself and the missus started the C25K yesterday with our first run. Fitness level; low to non-existent and to be fair it's my first time doing any major running since GAA training a decade or so ago. All cycling for me since then. Herself has a good bit of gymwork done over the past few months

Pleasantly surprised by how well I did. Small bit stiff just above the knees, but gone today. Must warm up-down better.

Motivation was simple. Get off my arse. Better eating habits had seen me lose a stone and a half since Christmas, but I needed a goal, so we've targeted a 5k in 8 weeks time.

MrStuffins, keep it up, think of how positive you feel after, and set a medium term target, such as a first 5k. Then use that time and target an improved time for another one a few weeks later.

We're all in the same boat. None of us are Olympians. Our goal is to better ourselves and finish, so pat yourselves on the back for lacing up the trainers and getting out, no matter what level we're at.

Well said shergar. Here, have a sugarlump :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭thumper10

just went for my first run in ages yesterday - on the treadmill in the gym, started on week 4 - completed and didnt feel bad for it at all, hurt my ankle ages ago and its now affeting my knee when running, so wrapped it up yesterday and it was ok....

felt great for doing it, so missed my running, great to be back at it, hopefully i'll keep it up

The dreaded week 5 is done...

Day 2 was an 8 min run, 5 min walk and 8 min run .... The walk part honestly felt like it was in my way and holding me back and when the second run finished on the iPhone program I kept running for an extra 4 mins and felt good.

Day 3 was the dreaded 20 min run with no walking... I felt great doing it and when the program finished I was still a good bit away from the car so I kept running. Almost 26 minutes of continuous jogging and I honestly think I had at least another 5 mins left if I'd gone for it.

I'm ahead of the program most likely due to playing 30 or 40 mins of friendly soccer games for the last 2 weeks and almost an hour of indoor soccer the few weeks previous.

Given that day 3 of week 6 is a 22 min run which I already know I'm capable of, would I be better skipping ahead a week or sticking with the program?
    Tomorrows run is 2 x 5min runs and an 8 with walks between and I don't see the point unless someone better clued than me can advise?

Ok, so I threw caution to the wind today...

Felt great before the run, and on the back of doing 25mins 2 days ago, I decided not to use the couch25k app today. Week 6, day 1 looked too easy, and I wasn't too sure where to skip ahead to...
    So I set the Runkeeper to update me every 5 mins and decided to run as long as I felt comfortable..... 39 mins and 5.74k was what I ended up doing. The time was SLOW (I'd covered 4.4k in 30mins) but I felt brilliant and really proud of myself.

mightly pissed off with meself tonight. Seems like I'm gerting nowhere. Finished week 2 after doing Week 1 twice 'coz I felt I needed it. Week 2 is killing me though.
    It's not my legs, plenty of pre- and post-stretching is keeping that at bay.
    I'm just seeing no signs of progress and actually feel like I'm going backwards. Struggling for breath at tje end of 90 second runs, diaphgram feels really constricted, getting no satisfaction, no light at the end of the tunnel.
    Perhaps it's the fact that I'm doing evening runs or having my dinner beforehand (albeit 3 hours before a run).
    Seriously thinking of jacking it in. Can't see the point of going onto week 3 if I'm going nowhere and more importantly aren't getting any sense of satisfaction/enjoyment/achievement out of it .

You finished week 2! Well done! Could you see yourself doing that before doing week 1? I know I couldn't.

Keep at it. As it said in the app I used, if you're finding it hard, that just means it's working :)

One thing is for sure, you are NOT going backwards, only forwards. Well done on completing week 2.
    Maybe you just need to SLOW DOWN. Just because it says RUN for 90 secs doesn't mean you need to Usain Bolt it. It took me a while to cop on that i was pacing too fast for the first 2 weeks. Just ease up a little. Aslong as your pace is quicker than your walk then you're running.
    Keep at it....I'm really glad I did.

Went for a run/jog today and was able to (suprisingly comfortably) jog for an hour. Covered 8.7k and loved every second of it. Can't believe now that I waited till I'm nearly 31 to do this.

Just wanted to say a big thanks to the people who've posted on this thread (I read every single post late one night after being linked to it elsewhere on boards) ... The stories on this thread gave me the motivation to start the Couch to 5k program and the belief I could attain the goal.
    I have a few questions on "where to go now" with my training but I suppose I'll take them over to the main board.

PS Shergar22, did you start week 3 or how you getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dancingshoes

I was delighted to find this thread. I have planned on starting the c25k programme for weeks, and just never did, a few times I spent ages getting ready, setting up my music, my app, sorting my clothes stretching etc, but I always chickened out. after reading this thread I decided the best way to start is just to start.

I have finished week one, I am seriously unfit, and thought I was going to have a heart attack at times. but I am delighted to be finished. I downloaded Now that's what I call running 2012 and love listening to the music, and even though I am covered in sweat and looking none too attractive afterwards I felt brilliant.

from reading the thread I have an idea what is coming up, but I have purposely not looked through the app to see what is coming up in the future. I have decided to trust the programme to get me to the end.

I can't wait until I am posting about my last day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

I'm reading the posts here and slightly in awe of you all! Do you have to have an ap to do this? I don't have an iphone or ipod. Is there another way to do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭hiram

Hi, just started running about 2 weeks ago. I'm male, 13 and a half stone and 5 11. I run every evening except Friday and Monday. I do 1.7 miles at 7mph in 14.5 minutes. It's uphill for half and downhill for second half. Is this bad going or good going? I also think I have increased my weight since running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

happyday wrote: »
    I'm reading the posts here and slightly in awe of you all! Do you have to have an ap to do this? I don't have an iphone or ipod. Is there another way to do it?

You don't need an app or an ipod, just a watch so you know when to run and when to walk.
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Firstly, many thanks to all for the gee-ups, they really helped and made me realise I wasn't the first to flounder.
    After my last rant, I took two days away from running and went onto Week 3 last night.
    Thankfully I found it very good, and hopefully have crossed some invisible hurdle.
    Two things happened. Firstly I took Savage Tyrant's advice and dialled it back a notch. It really helped. My own view is that you handle the 60 second burst at a fair clip and try week 2 at the same speed, but can't maintain it. As you head into Week 3 you realise you've an extra 30 seconds so subconsciously you slow it down.
    Secondly, my Ipod ran out of charge, so I was counting myself off. I think the music was making me go too fast.
    I'll report back on tomorrow's run

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Hi and thanx to Raycun for the link to this inspiring thread:D

I am on week 5 and even though I run at a snails pace I am really enjoying it,today for the first time i changed from a rugged terrain to the pavement and i could not believe how much easier it is!

Still I have one or two questions if someone could answer for me.

1) why is it that on some days i find my breathing difficult but my legs are fine,and then the next time its the opposite! my breathing is grand but my legs are killin me! this happens all the time with me.

2)is it normal for the weather to have an impact on my performance,for example when its hot and humid i find it difficult and yet when its raining I am fine, I expected it to be the other way around!

thanx v.much!

youtube! wrote: »
    Hi and thanx to Raycun for the link to this inspiring thread:D

I am on week 5 and even though I run at a snails pace I am really enjoying it,today for the first time i changed from a rugged terrain to the pavement and i could not believe how much easier it is!

Still I have one or two questions if someone could answer for me.

1) why is it that on some days i find my breathing difficult but my legs are fine,and then the next time its the opposite! my breathing is grand but my legs are killin me! this happens all the time with me.

2)is it normal for the weather to have an impact on my performance,for example when its hot and humid i find it difficult and yet when its raining I am fine, I expected it to be the other way around!

thanx v.much!

2. Most definitely it's harder when it's warmer. A cool day with possibly a little light rain is ideal, for me anyway.

1. I can't help with that, though on my route I find that my breathing is a little difficult for my first 5 mins but I think that I'm running into the wind on that route. Once I've turned my breathing seems to be easier.

Thanx ST for your input,

I always find that after about half way my breathing always settles down and I get into a nice rhythm, but once my legs are hurting from the start they are hurting all the way to the end,in saying that however not bad enough to make me stop.

The funny thing is though as I said earlier today was my first day on the pavements and even though I am still slow I shaved a few minutes from my time and found it much easier on the legs and the breathing.
    Perhaps it was a lot to do with the terrain I have been training on up to now. it was a rough stony path alongside the river great scenery though!

The reason I chose this path was simply because it is really quiet so I didnt want to be seen jogging at my snails pace! :P

Now I am going to stick to the roads so watch out snails I am coming after ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

some days are good some are bad, the main thing is to just stick with it. you seem to well on the way youtube!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dancingshoes

youtube! wrote: »
    watch out snails I am coming after ya!

ha ha, I know how you feel, but slow and steady works for me, I'll work on my endurance first then when I can comfortably run for 30 minutes I will work on increasing my speed. distance is not a priority for me now.

Best of luck with it

Out again last night and while it was tough, I felt pretty good after it, good enough to add an extra run off my own bat. I had finished and had a bit of a walk back to the car, so decided to jog it.
    Tough going though, probably hadn't mentally prepared myself for the run enough. Ducked out to do it while the family were eating dinner so it was a bit rushed and too me a while to get into rhythm. That seems to be the big issue with me, getting into a rhythm, and it was about the third run before I felt 'comfortable' with my pace/breathing.
    Again, went without the iPod, counted it off with my fingers, rather than counting under my breath (affecting my breathing rhythm).
    (Actually, having read back this post, people are going to think that I've got serious issues!)

Still, I'm continuing to move forward and will hopefully be on Week 4 come Saturday. Nearly halfway there!! Again, many thanks for the pep talks (pep posts?). Made a huge difference between going on and giving up.

Youtube! Some days good, some days bad. Some days you want to puke a lung up, some days you feel like the wind is behind you and is lifting you off the ground.

On a completely selfish point, I get a great kick from passing people who are out for a walk. I think the pace goes up a notch or two when in public view.

shergar22 wrote: »
    On a completely selfish point, I get a great kick from passing people who are out for a walk. I think the pace goes up a notch or two when in public view.

Ha, that definitely happens with me too... In the early weeks I hated if the App told me to walk when I was approaching people or worse again if I was near the pub I watch my footy matches in.

Just from my point of view, I think you'd be better off letting your iPod take care of your timing or a watch just to make sure your doing the full 3 minutes. It must be quite hard timing it in your head I'd imagine. Week 4 has 2x3min and 2x5min jogs if I remember so it might be a bit of a shock if you've counted out this week a bit fast. Not saying you have though.

Good luck, keep us posted. I'm quite interested in your log actually... I think mostly because I'm reading it in real-time whereas the others I read after they'd completed.

• Advertisement

shergar22 wrote: »
    Out again last night and while it was tough, I felt pretty good after it, good enough to add an extra run off my own bat. I had finished and had a bit of a walk back to the car, so decided to jog it.
    Tough going though, probably hadn't mentally prepared myself for the run enough. Ducked out to do it while the family were eating dinner so it was a bit rushed and too me a while to get into rhythm. That seems to be the big issue with me, getting into a rhythm, and it was about the third run before I felt 'comfortable' with my pace/breathing.
    Again, went without the iPod, counted it off with my fingers, rather than counting under my breath (affecting my breathing rhythm).
    (Actually, having read back this post, people are going to think that I've got serious issues!)

Still, I'm continuing to move forward and will hopefully be on Week 4 come Saturday. Nearly halfway there!! Again, many thanks for the pep talks (pep posts?). Made a huge difference between going on and giving up.

Youtube! Some days good, some days bad. Some days you want to puke a lung up, some days you feel like the wind is behind you and is lifting you off the ground.

Ha ha its so funny cos I thought I was the only one doing that:p, its just amazing how the brain somehow manages to fire you along when approaching a walker for fear of looking stupid.:pac:

Advertisement