Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

• Registered Users Posts: 14,264 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Dónal wrote: »
    I hope you won't mind if I ask you not to cycle again for the rest of the year.

considering where i live i doubt that would make much difference

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭furiousox

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    Could've done without seeing that tbh, why post it?

Dont really know, sorry about that. Deleted it now.

Here is something more cheerful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4vST6_clnA

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The cancer spreads to Newstalk. You've probably heard the latest survey this morning which finds that 46% or so Dublin cyclists have admitted to breaking the law in some way. Of course their editorial on the lunch time show leads with "Almost half of al cyclists admit to breaking the law". Montague put them right by saying that more than half of cyclist abide by the rotr.

Just listened to this on http://www.newstalk.ie/programmes/all/lunchtime/listen-back/. Its at about 10.30 in part 2, if anyone else is sad enough. In fairness Conor Faughnan of the AA was quite balanced in most of his replies and pointed out that all road users break laws and ignored the presenter's attempts to turn it into all out cyclist v motorist war. He also claims to cycle commute himself!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Went to clean bicycle and tinker for half and hour, it took me two and a half hours. I didn't know it was possible to tinker for two hours on a bike.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Just listened to this on http://www.newstalk.ie/programmes/all/lunchtime/listen-back/. Its at about 10.30 in part 2, if anyone else is sad enough. In fairness Conor Faughnan of the AA was quite balanced in most of his replies and pointed out that all road users break laws and ignored the presenter's attempts to turn it into all out cyclist v motorist war. He also claims to cycle commute himself!
    I think he does cycle. I heard him mention it a few years ago on the radio; something about parking on the outskirts of town and cycling the rest of the way.

Some of you have seen the various "Three Men on a Boat" series with Dara O"Brian etc. These were loosely inspired by a book of the same name by Jerome K Jerome written in 1889 and he also wrote a lesser known sequel "Three Men on a Bummel" about a cycling tour of Germany about 1900. The prose style is a bit elaborate and archaic for modern tastes but there are some comic gems in it which will amuse modern day cyclists. As an example to show there is nothing new under the Sun ...

Then there are saddles,” I went on — I wished to get this lesson home to him. “Can you think of any saddle ever advertised that you have not tried?”
    He said: “It has been an idea of mine that the right saddle is to be found.”
    I said: “You give up that idea; this is an imperfect world of joy and sorrow mingled. There may be a better land where bicycle saddles are made out of rainbow, stuffed with cloud; in this world the simplest thing is to get used to something hard. There was that saddle you bought in Birmingham; it was divided in the middle, and looked like a pair of kidneys.”
    He said: “You mean that one constructed on anatomical principles.”
    “Very likely,” I replied.“The box you bought it in had a pic- ture on the cover, representing a sitting skeleton—or rather that part of a skeleton which does sit.”
    He said: “It was quite correct; it showed you the true position of the—”
    I said: “We will not go into details; the picture always seemed to me indelicate.”
    He said: “Medically speaking, it was right.”
    “Possibly,” I said, “for a man who rode in nothing but his bones. I only know that I tried it myself, and that to a man who wore flesh it was agony. Every time you went over a stone or a rut it nipped you; it was like riding on an irritable lobster. You rode that for a month.”
    “I thought it only right to give it a fair trial,” he answered.
    I said: “You gave your family a fair trial also; if you will allow me the use of slang. Your wife told me that never in the whole course of your married life had she known you so bad tempered, so un-Christian like, as you were that month.

As it is out of copyright, its available in lots of places on the web in pdfs or kindle editions, and worth IMHO seeking out just to read chapter 3

Three Men in a Boat has been dramatised on BBC Radio.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01c6h6q

Haven't heard it yet, but read a bit of the book years ago and also read his Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow. Enjoyable reads.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,101 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Free aero positioning and physiological testing worth €1,000 on offer in new study
    Bleedin' typical - vets need not apply (not that I would fall into the required A1 racing category anyway:))

...guess it may be of interest to some around here though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

BX 19 wrote: »

sounds like one those coppers who will nab anyone, not sure you can be done for speeding in Ireland, seeing as it has no motor or licence.

can hit someone anywhere cycling not just in school area people step out on roads anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

well deserved imo

Are you serious? :confused:

Do bicycles come with calibrated speedometers?

I cannot see that standing up in an appeal court.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Well deserved" depends on the circumstances IMO. The report states that it was a time when parents and children, "were reasonably likely" to be crossing, but it seems to avoid stating that it was during school hours.

If it was 7am on a Sunday or 10pm on a schoolnight, then "well deserved" might be pushing it. "Unlucky" is what I'd say.

Though in any case it's a silly move on his part. You can't get done over here for breaking the speed limit, but there is a downhill section between Donard and Glenmalure with a big "CAUTION SCHOOL" painted on the road that I'm careful to slow down for. If only for my own sake rather than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Second para in says

"....56km/h through a children’s crossing outside St John’s Primary School in Scarborough during morning peak hour earlier this month......"

That sounds like a stupid speed to be doing at that time of the morning.

seamus wrote: »
    Though in any case it's a silly move on his part. You can't get done over here for breaking the speed limit, but there is a downhill section between Donard and Glenmalure with a big "CAUTION SCHOOL" painted on the road that I'm careful to slow down for. If only for my own sake rather than anything else.

Agreed. I cycle downhill past a school entrance on my morning commute and have seen some of the daftest manoeuvres there. I could easily hit 50 km/h but I tend to free wheel and stick to about 30 km/h.

One wet and slippery morning a woman overtook me with the intention of left hooking me to turn left into the school entrance, so I braked and went wide to pass her on the right as she turned. Instead she saw a bus waiting to turn right across her path and stopped to let him through leaving me hung out to dry. Fortunately the bus driver saw me coming and stopped leaving me enough room to squeeze through. When I turned round to go back for the chat after nearly filling my shorts I found the bus driver already having a word with her. As she saw me approach she started apologising. I just could not believe that she had moved wide to overtake me and then claimed that she never knew that I was there. :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

If I got it, the ticket would be framed and hanging on my wall with pride of place. I might even ask the officer to take a photo with me and his speed gun.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Second para in says

"....56km/h through a children’s crossing outside St John’s Primary School in Scarborough during morning peak hour earlier this month......"

That sounds like a stupid speed to be doing at that time of the morning.

I agree that it is stupid, but how can it be illegal when the cyclist has no legal onus to have a working, calibrated speedometer? That prosecution would never fly under Irish law, I wonder how it can be justified under Australian law.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,101 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I agree that it is stupid, but how can it be illegal when the cyclist has no legal onus to have a working, calibrated speedometer? That prosecution would never fly under Irish law, I wonder how it can be justified under Australian law.
    Because it would appear that speed limits apply to a bike in Australia, whereas Irish law does not impose such speed limits

The onus is on the individual to obey the law - the fact he may not have had a calibrated speedometer is completely irrelevant (he could easily have had a computer that would have indicated he was breaking the limit though)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

If I got it, the ticket would be framed and hanging on my wall with pride of place. I might even ask the officer to take a photo with me and his speed gun.

I've tried several times to set one off on the N4 at Islandbridge but as yet have not succeeded.

• Advertisement

Another thing I notice missing from the report is what the posted speed limit was. It could be that he was just 6 km/h over because the general urban speed limit is currently 50 or 60 km/h in Australian cities.

Both the Tour of the Basque Country and San Sebastian are under threat because the Basque regional government can't provide sufficient funding

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/feb/25/cycling-basque-tour-threatened?INTCMP=SRCH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I think you would do the person for dangerous cycling, given the context.

I agree that if the speed limit was 30km/hr and the cyclist got nabbed for doing 33 km/hr, the no speedo argument would fly - but I think anyone who has been up to that kind of speed knows it would be dangerous to do it outside a school in the morning.

On a related note when de brudder was doing speed traps once (he calls it traffic enforcement) - I took spin out to see him on the bike and got him to clock me with the laser to see how accurate the Garmin is - "reasonably" was the answer:)

I get the impression that the police in Australia, like much of the rest of the population, regard cyclists as an intolerable burden on society (though this particular ticket might be well merited for all I know).

Speaking of intolerable burdens on society, 4FM seemed to be having a discussion about "dangerous" cyclists, but I've a very low tolerance for demagogic topics on radio shows. Before I continued browsing the stations for something more edifying, I did catch something about a bus driver texting in to say that only bus drivers could understand how dangerous cyclists really are or something like that. I did wonder whether it was eggball.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Another thing I notice missing from the report is what the posted speed limit was. It could be that he was just 6 km/h over because the general urban speed limit is currently 50 or 60 km/h in Australian cities.
    The story comes from Western Australia, where the speed limit in a school zone is 40 km/h, so he was clocked at 16 km/h over the limit.

Is that beasty on his new bike? :P

194571.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Speaking of intolerable burdens on society, 4FM seemed to be having a discussion about "dangerous" cyclists, but I've a very low tolerance for demagogic topics on radio shows.

You missed George Hook, on NT 30 minutes ago with his "unbiased" spiel talking to the guy who runs cycling.ie

AstraMonti wrote: »
    As you know, AM, my new bike is much better looking than that
    188.jpg

And here she is in action, leading the charge:

tcd12w-16.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

AstraMonti wrote: »

194571.jpg

Your Heart Rate Monitor looks a bit low Beasty. Or is that a gastric band??

• Advertisement

Your Heart Rate Monitor looks a bit low Beasty. Or is that a gastric band??
    TBH I was a bit more concerned that I had not got enough air in the tyres

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement