Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Touch E-Reader PRS-T1 Wi-Fi for €127.98 delivered @ Book Depository

• 22-12-2011 5:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

One of the best E-Readers in the market at a lovely price!

Sony Touch E-Reader PRS-T1 Wi-Fi for €127.98 delivered

Width (mm) 110
    Height (mm) 173
    Depth (mm) 8.9
    Weight (g) 168

Available in Black, White or Red colours

Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n) access to Reader Store and open browser IR

Clear touch screen with Dual touch - 6 inch E Ink Pearl display

12 Embedded Dictionaries, independent e-dictionary application + search history.

Up to 1 month battery (wireless off), 3-4 wks wireless on(tbc)

8 font sizes, 6 font types.

2GB(1.3GB available) - Expandable memory (via micro SD slot) up to 32GB.

Audio player

Delivered included in price

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

What can it do besides ebooks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

jayteecork wrote: »
    Basic audio player and web browsing - pretty similar to Kindle's capabilities.

It's a dedicated e-reader, not a jack of all-trades tablet, not sure what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭petecork

jayteecork wrote: »

review here

Comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭POKERKING

dam would of held off getting a kindle if id of known this, might bring kindle back after xmas and swap it for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭Soarer

There's 3% cashback too if you order through Fatcheese.

• Advertisement

POKERKING wrote: »
    dam would of held off getting a kindle if id of known this, might bring kindle back after xmas and swap it for this.
    where did you buy the kindle? would they allow you exchange it after its been used and its not faulty?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Walter White

Bought one a few weeks ago, cant go wrong at this price... Also bought this cover from ebay, fits perfect good leather look and feel and also a great price. http://www.ebay.ie/itm/230673012054?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Zxc

petecork wrote: »
    One of the best E-Readers in the market at a lovely price!

Sony Touch E-Reader PRS-T1 Wi-Fi for €127.98 delivered

Width (mm) 110
    Height (mm) 173
    Depth (mm) 8.9
    Weight (g) 168

Available in Black, White or Red colours

Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n) access to Reader Store and open browser IR

Clear touch screen with Dual touch - 6 inch E Ink Pearl display

12 Embedded Dictionaries, independent e-dictionary application + search history.

Up to 1 month battery (wireless off), 3-4 wks wireless on(tbc)

8 font sizes, 6 font types.

2GB(1.3GB available) - Expandable memory (via micro SD slot) up to 32GB.

Audio player

Delivered included in price

Would this attract any extra duties coming in to the country?

Also, would bookdepository mail this to Ireland?
    Dont some UK / Channel Islands companies refuse to send electronic products to Ireland, I think for WEEE/recycling reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Don't get me wrong, Sony makes great e-readers (and I own one myself). But if you're not inside the Kindle ecosystem, life is an awful lot more complicated to buy books. For the moment I'd never buy a non Kindle capable device for e-reading.

Zxc wrote: »
    Would this attract any extra duties coming in to the country?

the bookdepository.co.uk is a UK registered company, so I think products delivered from within the EU don't attract duty/vat etc

the bookdepository.com is a Guernsey registered company, so maybe its possible orders from here as subject to duties etc, but I'm not certain as I only order from the UK website as its always been the cheapest for me
    Dont some UK / Channel Islands companies refuse to send electronic products to Ireland, I think for WEEE/recycling reasons?

not sure about this, but it lets me get to the payment page and doesnt mention not delivering to ireland. I didn't buy my Sony Touch from here as didn't know they sold them for this price as the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

hmmm wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, Sony makes great e-readers (and I own one myself). But if you're not inside the Kindle ecosystem, life is an awful lot more complicated to buy books. For the moment I'd never buy a non Kindle capable device for e-reading.

Having used both I'd prefer the Kindle too. I prefer the screen and Amazon wipes the floor with Sony when it comes to ease of use/buying books.

That said, if you like Sony Readers, this is a great price.

petecork wrote: »
    the bookdepository.co.uk is a UK registered company, so I think products delivered from within the EU don't attract duty/vat etc

the bookdepository.com is a Guernsey registered company, so maybe its possible orders from here as subject to duties etc, but I'm not certain as I only order from the UK website as its always been the cheapest for me

not sure about this, but it lets me get to the payment page and doesnt mention not delivering to ireland. I didn't buy my Sony Touch from here as didn't know they sold them for this price as the time

They deliver to Ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

hmmm wrote: »

It's not that bad - no worse than if you're used to downloading MP3s with your PC and uploading them to your player.

Certainly the direct access to the kindle store is a good bit simpler; but if you're in any way computer literate; it's dead easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

quick question here lads if you don't mind.

can this (and/or the Kindle) support arbitrary formats like pdf etc? I'm new to e-readers sorry and id be interested if I could side load other formats other than their respective bookstore closed formats. this could do wonders for my lecture notes in college. I suppose .ppt is too much to ask?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

ePub is an open standard, but there might be some DRM on some files.

Anyway, most readers can display PDF, but with varying degrees of success. They're extremely slow to render on my PRS-505. Calibre can convert between many formats. Not sure about powerpoint - some might, but can't imagine they'll be able to cope with anything but quite basic presentations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Tea_Bag wrote: »

can this (and/or the Kindle) support arbitrary formats like pdf etc? I'm new to e-readers sorry and id be interested if I could side load other formats other than their respective bookstore closed formats. this could do wonders for my lecture notes in college. I suppose .ppt is too much to ask?

If you pdf the ppt file (ie open it in powerpoint then as 'save as' (or export as pdf on the Mac version I think - or maybe it was 'print to pdf)) you should be able to view it. Obviously if the ppt has fancy stuff like dynamic changes, stuff flying in and out, this won't work. I am looking at a few ppt files on Herself's Kindle at the moment - it understands straight .ppt files all right but you just get the basic text and the content is not nicely arranged like the slides would be in a presentation. Obviously colour is displayed as shades of grey so if the creator has gone mad on fancy colours you may miss out a little of the content.

When I look at the pdf versions of the ppt slides - if these were saved as 1 slide per page then yes it looks pretty much like a powerpoint presentation - text and graphics look normal - click page up or down gets you to the next slide etc.
    You might want to rotate the screen to landscape (click the text button - the aA one - and use the cursor control to select the landscape orientation) if you want a bigger screen - but I find the slides take up a bit more than i screen that way so you have to click twice to move slides. In portrait mode (ie normal) the slides are nicely displayed.

If you generated the pdf as you would when you want to create handout notes then you will get 3 per page etc. OK if you are young and can read small text! So my suggestion is to create 'handout notes' in pdf format, 1 slide per page setting.

I just flipped through a few presentations she gave just now - the Kindle works very well I must say. Saves lugging copies of the handouts around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Dont do it to yourself, e-ink no matter what the device is that uses it is for reading novels and nothing else. Trying to make notations or even flick back to something you read an hour ago is torture. pdf's, powerpoint etc are not what the device is designed for and it does it terribly whether its a Kindle or a Sony. Get yourself a netbook or something if you want to do that or I guarantee you'll regret it and your college work will suffer.

Went on a bit of a rant there but its just because Ive cringed at a few friends making the same mistake, they seem to think its a little black and white tablet pc with several weeks of battery life that they're buying but its not. I love my PRS-505 reader, its a couple of years old but still impresses me every time I use it, its honestly the most well designed and built device Ive ever bought, but as I said it has exactly one function*, reading books one page at a time from the beginning to the end, if I had to do anything else with it Id have taken a hammer to it long ago.

*Okay 2 functions, it can play mp3s and audio books really well.

this is now €15.50 cheaper on the .com website

www.bookdepository.co.uk = €129.98

www.bookdepository.com = €112.40

If that's shipped from outside the EU, the savings could be very quickly eaten up if you get stung by customs though.

Eoin wrote: »
    If that's shipped from outside the EU, the savings could be very quickly eaten up if you get stung by customs though.
    you're correct, I wasnt thinking about that when I posted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 nicolaed

Eoin wrote: »
    delivered, shipped from UK(
    www.bookdepository.com = €112.40) no any customs fees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

In theory, yes, both support PDF. However, these devices shine with flow text, reading PDFs on a 6" screen is a pain in the behind. But all is not lost:

Some publishers offer special 6" PDFs

You can crop PDFs with programs like PaperCrop.

You can convert PDFs to EPUB/MOBI with Calibre (the Swiss Army Knife for ebook conversion), although the results may vary.

Neither reader can handle Powerpoint slideshows, however, you can "print" PPS/PPT as PDF and view them on the reader.

I much prefer the KOBO reader over the Sony/Kindle for the simple reason that I can just copy my books onto the device or SD card and begin reading, whereas SONY/Amazon require you to install their own software on your computer to manage your library.

Torqay wrote: »
    In theory, yes, both support PDF. However, these devices shine with flow text, reading PDFs on a 6" screen is a pain in the behind. But all is not lost:

Some publishers offer special 6" PDFs

You can crop PDFs with programs like PaperCrop.

You can convert PDFs to EPUB/MOBI with Calibre (the Swiss Army Knife for ebook conversion), although the results may vary.

Neither reader can handle Powerpoint slideshows, however, you can "print" PPS/PPT as PDF and view them on the reader.

I much prefer the KOBO reader over the Sony/Kindle for the simple reason that I can just copy my books onto the device or SD card and begin reading, whereas SONY/Amazon require you to install their own software on your computer to manage your library.

That's not the case - you can easily manage your Sony device without their library software.

Advertisement