Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old vBulletin Search

• 18-02-2012 5:29pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is this option now gone? I used to get it through the advanced search at the bottom of the page?

I found the old system much better and the new system impossible to use. If it is gone can we have it back, or am I just not seeing it for some reason?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Scroll down the forum...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056541991

...and maybe try reading the mods' forum from time to time! :pac:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056541993

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Thanks, except the mods forum says that we should still be able to use it and I can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

you still can. The only thing that went away from old search was the ability to type into a box free handidly. everything else is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I often try reading the mods forum :P
    The mysteries of what gone on there memorise my little mind.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

you still can. The only thing that went away from old search was the ability to type into a box free handidly. everything else is still there.

How? I can't see the link where it used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It depends, what are you trying to search for?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Might be worth taking this back to the mod forum guys. We don't want Teddy to know we're searching all his posts. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It's not much of a sekrit Zaph, nobody can do a keyword search any more, no exceptions. The only remains left of old search is for mods where we can still search for posts / threads by user in our forums.
    I was only asking the above to confirm this. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

I wish you guys would come up with personalised searches for each member!!

I havent really done ANYTHING HERE since you removed it because i cant find my stuff anymore! (There is way to much activity on this site to easily find your stuff w/o being able to search for it)

Let me please explain to you what i mean about personal searches....

On SMF sites there is a link when you logon "Show new replies to your posts" what it does is generates a search WITH ALL THREADS YOUR ACTIVE IN WITH NEW ACTIVITY SINCE YOUR LAST VISIT.. I dont have to use search hardily EVER on SMF sites thanx to this feature!

Please take a look and see what i mean: www.inthe00s.com/index.php (Please register and test the feature...)

When i first signed up on that site HE HAD SEARCH DISABLED AS WELL (for the same reason you guys disabled it) this was the only thing that kept things easy for me there finding my stuff! (He has search enabled now (member groups only) but I dont use it (I have used it maybe once or twice on this SMF site anyway since it was enabled (I dont really need to use it to find my stuff :))))

PLEASE LOOK @ WHAT IM REFERRING TO AND TRY TO BRING IT HERE.....

Merci Beaucoup :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Dude, we kinda do this already. You may not have noticed. In your User CP , under Edit Options on the left hand side, there is an option to auto follow any thread you post in. Then on the front page of the site there are three tabs, one for the unfiltered site, one for forums you follow and one specifically for threads you are following.

In this way you can see a time-based list of all posts in threads that you are following and since you auto follow any thread you post in , that should fulfil your needs. Give it a try!

• Advertisement

But the search i mentioned above Devore goes IN ORDER from newest to oldest (new activity since last visit) and you can click "VIEW FIRST UNREAD" in the thread...

Can ya please look into my idea buddy,it would make it much easier! (And you would like it,its not server heavy)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Thats what ours does, on the front page. Thread with most recent post is listed first.

Follow my instructions and you will see that its what you are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Dude111 wrote: »
    I wish you guys would come up with personalised searches for each member!!

I havent really done ANYTHING HERE since you removed it because i cant find my stuff anymore! (There is way to much activity on this site to easily find your stuff w/o being able to search for it)

On SMF sites there is a link when you logon "Show new replies to your posts" what it does is generates a search WITH ALL THREADS YOUR ACTIVE IN WITH NEW ACTIVITY SINCE YOUR LAST VISIT.. I dont have to use search hardily EVER on SMF sites thanx to this feature!

Please take a look and see what i mean: www.inthe00s.com/index.php (Please register and test the feature...)

When i first signed up on that site HE HAD SEARCH DISABLED AS WELL (for the same reason you guys disabled it) this was the only thing that kept things easy for me there finding my stuff! (He has search enabled now (member groups only) but I dont use it (I have used it maybe once or twice on this SMF site anyway since it was enabled (I dont really need to use it to find my stuff :))))

PLEASE LOOK @ WHAT IM REFERRING TO AND TRY TO BRING IT HERE.....

Merci Beaucoup :)

To borrow your love of caps - THAT'S NOT A SEARCH :cool:

It's activity tracking, and it is most definitely catered for here on Boards.ie through subscriptions/following.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

Your posts prove otherwise which I found out by capably using new search to search for the 'newest first' posts by 'Dude111', all be it they complain about search mostly where you don't need a search to accomplish the task you're wanting to do.

As Danny said, this isn't a search.

Right first off, SMF is not vBulletin, they are hugely different innards but with the somewhat similar end goal (a discussion forum).

Currently the largest SMF board out there is a german board which has 1,184,550 million posts, now compare boards.ie taking january as an example we done 586,006 posts, that's nearly half of the total posts the biggest SMF board has done in its lifetime IN A SINGLE MONTH!!!!11.

There is no way they come even close to our level of posts, users, searches, traffic they are nowhere near us you can't compare. if you are you're comparing an elephant to a fly and we're the elephant.

you also mention inthe00's.com their stats are tiny in comparison to boards.ie.

2,739,703 Posts in total, boards at it's current rate, would do that many posts in in 4.6 months.

These sites, haven't even begun to see the roadblocks we have when it comes to dealing with insane amounts of data, they are probably still running a single server that acts as a web server and a database server, where as for us to cope with our traffic we have 3 dedicated database servers and 5 web servers and 2 load balancing servers to ensure we don't keel over.

If you follow threads, and go to here from our home page http://www.boards.ie/?filter=threads you'll get threads you have posted in with the ones with the latest replies at THE TOP and the older ones at THE BOTTOM.

DeVore wrote:
    Thats what ours does, on the front page. Thread with most recent post is listed first.
    Thank you guys..... I have discovered IT DOES GIVE YOU THE ARROW TO "READ FIRST UNREAD" if you follow a thread..... (Like it did in search)

I guess thats better than not being able to find my stuff :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Stop using caps lock in the middle of sentences!

Sorry buddy

Advertisement