Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does my hair get greasy so quickly???

• 31-12-2011 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi I'm a teenager and I now shower everyday because my hair gets greasy after 1 day out. People have told me that it is because I shower everyday? I don't know how it started as I didn't always shower everyday but now I need to shower everyday because I hate greasy hair as I think it looks very dirty and unhygienic. Anyone have any idea why this is?(I'm a very clean person BTW).And any suggestions on how i can stop this??
    ,thank you
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

This thread might get a better response in "Fashion & Appearance"

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Are you using conditioner? My hair used to be like that and I found that it improved a lot when I stopped using conditioner.

Showering every day also doesn't help. Try not shower for a day or two and use dry shampoo instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Hi OP,

I also have very greasy hair, I washed it yesterday and by this morning it was greasy again, I was it every second day as I find it's better than washing every day.

Washing your hair every day strips your hair of it natural oils and as a result your hair works harder to produce more oils hence why your hair gets get very greasy very quickly.

Don't wash your hair for two days and then start washing it every second day, it's not nice having to go around with greasy hair, even for a day, but it helps the greasiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

I use dry shampoo occasionally for those 'in between days'. I have blond hair so you would never know i had used it.

Try washing your hair every second day instead of daily and try dry shampoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lilliec

Hi, I think it is caused by having fine, straight hair. If I curl my hair it stays fresher longer, possibly because the hair isn't resting so much on the head as when it is straight.
    I find that styling products (heat protection spray) makes it worse. Also, I only get a few hours out of mine if I straighten it. There is a brunette version of that dry shampoo...I don't like to use it because I don't like the smell, but it doesn't leave the grey effect that the normal one does.
    Finally, I try to leave my hair to dry naturally rather than using the hair dryer, again finding it keeps longer this way. Hope this helps you, I'll be keeping an eye out for other peoples responses too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭AoifeCN

thanks everyone! Any suggestions on what dry shampoo to use? I only condition probably once maybe twice a week (to stop my hair getting staticy) and not on the roots as that's where my hair gets greasy. some extra info I've never dyed my hair it is natural but i straighten it whenever i wash it and i blow dry a lot because my hair is naturally very curly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

AoifeCN wrote: »
    thanks everyone! Any suggestions on what dry shampoo to use? I only condition probably once maybe twice a week (to stop my hair getting staticy) and not on the roots as that's where my hair gets greasy. some extra info I've never dyed my hair it is natural but i straighten it whenever i wash it and i blow dry a lot because my hair is naturally very curly.

I'd say the straightening and blow drying are your problem. Curls are amazing! Don't ruin em :-)

I always use batiste and find it good

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Littleminx

hi,im the very same ishower everyday,and my hair is greasy and also get only one dayoutof it, but i use ballistic dry shampoo get itin boots or tescos or any chemist and its great rather than constaly washing.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

I use both Baliste and Girlz Only dry shampoo. I get them both in Pennys but you can get them in the chemists either. Pennys seems to have them a little cheaper though.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

I find if you run your fingers constantly through your hair it makes the hair extra greasy, so if you have a habit ogf doing that try to catch yourself before you do it.

• Advertisement

Ha most of the things everyone has mentioned that makes your hair greasy I do :P

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

I used to have the very same problem, and my hairdresser suggested that if I could leave it without washing it for 2 or 3 days it would improve, she advised me to wash it Wednesday night, so that it was okay for work Thursday, use the dry shampoo Friday morning, and to not wash it all weekend. I did this for a week or two and am now getting 2 days out of it. I know some people get longer but it's a huge improvement for me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Running your hands through your hair regularly will add to the greasiness, as will frequent brushing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Tres semme do a nice dry shampoo. It smells nice but does leave the white flaky stuff so maybe not best option if you're brunette/black haired. Also if you're gonna straighten your hair anyway you could try leaving it to dry naturally first, or only straighten every alternate day. I find changing shampoo every so often can help as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Some people are just prone to greasy hair. I have fine, straight hair and there's not much I can do about it. I try not to wash it every day because it takes too much time and it's not good for it, but I always feel manky the second day. I noticed that when I had a bob with lots of short layers, it wasn't as greasy because it had volume and was sitting more away from my scalp, if that makes sense? Now it's longer, it's getting weighed down and greasy. I've noticed that leaving it to dry naturally helps, but that's not usually possible in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

i agree that sometimes you're just prone to greasy hair...ive washed my hair everyday since i was about 13 and couldnt function going around even for a day with greasy hair, id feel manky!!! my hair is healthy and shiny and I condition the ends with vo5 miracle oil. My whole family are the same except my little sis who gets an extra day out of it since she started bleaching it blonde...I reckon that unless theres some reason you cant possibility wash it everyday then why not just do it??

always so jealous of people who can get a blowdry and get a few days out of it though!!!

thanks everyone! I'm going to try a lot of ye'r suggestions. as I'm on holidays I'll try to not wash is for a couple of days (and lock my self in my house :p) then start off washing my hair once every 2 days and so on ,I'll also try dry shampoo and drying naturally and trying not to straighten so much (which will be hard as I hate my natural curls) so check back to this thread and I'll keep ye updated.
    I've now almost gone 2 days without washing my hair (still showering just not my hair BTW) and it is very greasy probably gonna have a shower on Tuesday then not again till Thursday and see how it is,
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭sunshiner

dont use really hot water,use tepid water and maybe try change a different shampoo, one for your scalp to balance it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I was the very same, it was such a pain. I also found that if I didn't use conditioner my hair would be dry and brittle. It felt horrible and just looked really dull. Then I started using spray in conditioner, the aussie one, and now I get 2 days sometimes even 3 without washing it. Plus everyone comments on how shiny it is.

Its like a cycle, your hair is greasy because you wash it, that strips away the natural oils so your scalp over compensates making it greasy again. You need to break the cycle. Dry shampoo is great to get you over the hump. It sucks until you get your 2 days but once you get there its great:D

Ya I use Revalon spray conditioner an I don't really have a shampoo that I always use but i do use a lot of head and shoulders and treseme.

• Advertisement

I always thought tres semme was good but as soon as I stopped using it I noticed a difference. I do like their dry shampoo though.

thanks everyone :) dose anyone know whether dry shampoo is bad for your hair, I heard it dose is it true?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I can't imagine dry shampoo doing much other than adding a powder to your hair that'll dry up the oil in it.

Definitely try some Aussie shampoo - Some of the Tresemme and Pantene and Herbal Essences ones add a deposit onto your hair that'll make it look lovely the first time around but after that, it'll drag it down.

jenizzle wrote: »
    I can't imagine dry shampoo doing much other than adding a powder to your hair that'll dry up the oil in it.

Definitely try some Aussie shampoo - Some of the Tresemme and Pantene and Herbal Essences ones add a deposit onto your hair that'll make it look lovely the first time around but after that, it'll drag it down.
    Thats the idea alright. Hair doesnt look fresh exactly when u use it but it absorbs some of the oil and givesa bit of a lift at the roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 2022rae

Showering every day is probably worsening your condition! Stripping your hair of its oils will just encourage your hair to produce more, faster to try and compensate for the loss and so it will get greasy very quickly. It will also cause damage to your hair as without these oils it will just become weak and will lack the nourishment it needs to stay healthy and strong. Every two days is plenty to wash your hair!

If needed, try a dry shampoo between showers to help clear up some excess oil in your hair.
    AoifeCN wrote: »
    thanks everyone :) dose anyone know whether dry shampoo is bad for your hair, I heard it dose is it true?

Dry shampoo isn't bad for your hair when used sparingly. The powder is designed to absorb any excess oils in your hair. You leave it in for a few minutes, allowing it to work, and then just brush it out. It's not a miracle worker and won't leave you with that just-washed feeling but with the right one it will definitely help make your hair look and feel less greasy and it will give your hair an overall boost. The only time it would be bad for your hair is if you overuse it as it could just dry out your hair in a similar way washing too often can.

Make sure to alternate between at least two different shampoos/conditioners (I recommend using two different types and brands altogether for even better results). Using one for too long will just cause a build up of certain chemicals/ingredients in your hair, by using a different shampoo it will remove all of these. I recommend trying a deep cleansing shampoo once a week or so.

If you use hair spray/serum/frizz ease/shine products, etc. be sure to place these from the ear down to the tips, avoiding the roots and areas closest to your scalp. These types of products will make your hairy greasy (or at least look and feel greasy) in no time. If you need to use them near the roots, do so sparingly!

Try to stay away from hair dryers and other hot tools (straighteners/curlers, etc.) as not only will the heat cause moisture near your scalp but these will also encourage oil production as well. I know that's easier said than done but even every now and then if you can leave your hair air-dry it will be so worth it!

Remember you might not notice results immediately as your hair will be used to producing oils at a high rate but after a few weeks you should notice a difference. Hope this helps! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭lace

When I find my hair getting greasy quickly, I give it a break from the constant washing and just dry shampoo it for a few days. I have dark hair and find that a lot of white dry shampoos can leave my hair looking dull or evern grey so I use Batiste's range of coloured dry shampoos. The one for black hair is great! they're available in Boots.

Advertisement