Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

I'd advise getting one, just a small one, because your uniform is so poorly made that the buttons may well have come off your tunic or epaulettes before they even arrives to you.
    As Jailer said, get Kiwi shoe polish, the kind in the circular tin. Any other kind won't cut it.
    Also, get yourself one of those mesh ironing sheets, if you iron your trousers without one they will go shiny and be ruined.
    Your mother/wife should be able to source you one.
    Here's a picture of one just incase...

I knew I'd find a use for her one of these days:D. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

lol

lol what?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

jesus-facepalm-facepalm-jesus-epic-demotivational-poster-1218659828.jpg?1248715819

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Contract arrived today.

As a matter of interest sodbuster, roughly what number were you on the panel for the job? I have a mate in the 700's and wonder how high they have reached!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Jailer

Salmon wrote: »
    As a matter of interest sodbuster, roughly what number were you on the panel for the job? I have a mate in the 700's and wonder how high they have reached!!!:D

Quote]

Recommend you go back in and edit to "mid 400's"

Very easy to check you off a list

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

Jailer wrote: »

Haha a true jailer you are ;);););)

lol what?
    lol about the mother/wife reference to sourcing your little womens stuff :rolleyes:

you are a funny little guy!

Jailer wrote: »

you just quoted what he shouldn't have quoted! :D

lol about the mother/wife reference to sourcing your little womens stuff :rolleyes:

you are a funny little guy!

I can't lie, I'm no better.
    I had seen one around the house for years but never knew what it was or what it did. The mother/wife line is basically what our ACO told us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Hi Lads and ladies. I'm in the job since August 2008 and I'd like to pass on a little tip to RPO's in Beladd currently.

Purchase a TurtleWax Dashboard shiner to get your shoes blinging in one easy stroke. Never mind any of that polishing for hours with cloths/tights/cotton wool in anticipation of parade! Its a blue and silver sponge and costs 5 euro in any motor factors or garage.

As regards the Sligo IT work, it's largely do-able BUT time management is key. So you will have a fair few written assignments to complete over your first two years as a recruit. If you can keep on top of your work, you will pass.

Guys when you get to the jails, dont be afraid to ask other staff questions or for advice. The officers are generally very welcoming to newbies. Look forward to meeting ya'll.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭redhotdevil

Best of luck to everyone starting tomorrow,it can be a bit daunting being your first day down there but it gets easier and before you know it you'll get your postings to the jail.........

Time flies when you're having a good time:D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭The Sheriffk

I'd advise getting one, just a small one, because your uniform is so poorly made that the buttons may well have come off your tunic or epaulettes before they even arrives to you.
    As Jailer said, get Kiwi shoe polish, the kind in the circular tin. Any other kind won't cut it.
    Also, get yourself one of those mesh ironing sheets, if you iron your trousers without one they will go shiny and be ruined.
    Your mother/wife should be able to source you one.
    Here's a picture of one just incase...

Guardsmans Gloss if you can get it ...!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

Guardsmans Gloss if you can get it ...!!!!

No, Parade Gloss is what your looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

Anyone know how many are in Training ???

cordub wrote: »
    Anyone know how many are in Training ???

I heard 40 from someone who was down there during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

I heard 40 from someone who was down there during the week

There is two groups of twenty in Beladd at the moment...

And the rumours about more after them are still just rumours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Is it true that Prison Chaplains are paid same as Prison Officers ?

I would assume they are paid by the diocese, no?

• Advertisement

I would assume they are paid by the diocese, no?

Yeah , I would thought so but I was told by someone that they get a salary from the Department of Justice / Irish Prison Service ?

In that case I can't say as I don't know for sure.

In that case I can't say as I don't know for sure.

Cheers , yeah I'm a tad sceptical that the story is accurate but on the other hand you may find its some old tradition going back 100 years , etc.

Delancey wrote: »
    Is it true that Prison Chaplains are paid same as Prison Officers ?

The Chaplin gets paid more than your average PO

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭redhotdevil

Chaplins recieve TWO salaries,their normal salary and also a full-time salary from the Government...total €70-75k p.a.

Chaplins recieve TWO salaries,their normal salary and also a full-time salary from the Government...total €70-75k p.a.

:eek: Jayz , nice work if you can get it !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Chaplain's are Assistant Governors grade, 90k plus. They have no rank or authority over officers though, it's purely for pay.

Rawhead wrote: »
    Chaplain's are Assistant Governors grade, 90k plus. They have no rank or authority over officers though, it's purely for pay.

And here was me thinkinng it was for love of the prisoners and humanity :rolleyes:

Rawhead wrote: »
    Must need it to pay for all the cigarettes they don't smoke.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

In fairness some of them do a good job. The majority would be lag lovers though. The nuns in one particular Dublin prison are a despicable bunch altogether and have been caught passing phones and other contraband over the years.
    Another yoke down the country a few years back began to think he was an officer. He took to carrying a radio and one day he "stood down" staff responding to an alarm because he looked out his office window which overlooked the yard and deemed that the situation was under control. He was quietly touched on soon after.

Advertisement