Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cork to Dublin

• 11-01-2011 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

3 tolls, Km's of Motorway, lots of rest places (as in tarmac)

but zero filling stations, coffee shops, toilets, eateries...

is Ireland so prehistoric like this.. its 2011.

There would be $$$$$ to be made from anyone to open at least 2 huge outlets on that route

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

There would be $$$$$ to be made from anyone to open at least 2 huge outlets on that route

how far is urlingford off that motorway? a mile?
    and before the third toll, i presume the m50, there are petrol stations off the naas rd
    And as for prehistoric? that would be when the journey took 5-6 hours, stuck behind tractors and passing through every village along the way.
    Now? Not one single village to pass through on the way.
    And what do you want coffee shops and 'eateries' for?
    Its only two hours!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Did Limerick to Dublin to Tralee on saturday - couldn't agree more!

FYI best stop currently is Roscrae - 2mins from M7 to Macdonald's or Centra - free toilet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Look on the bright side. At least when you arrive in NAAS you're too fucking tired to bother to holler abuse at the idiots hogging the ''fast'' lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

squod wrote: »
    Look on the bright side. At least when you arrive in NAAS you're too fucking tired to bother to holler abuse at the idiots hogging the ''fast'' lane.

Thank you! I was thinking it was me being paranoid. There are 4 lanes too in places and they sit there in #3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Not really IMO. You can stop in portlaoise if you must but realistically it's a two and a little bit hour journey for most and if you start off with an empty tank you're brain dead. There's plenty of rest areas and a bottle of water will hold for a couple of hours I'm sure and if you're badly caught for a pdiddy either turn off or go in a rest area. Not ideal but...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

At least there's one Applegreen on the Galway-Dublin road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

There's only 2 tolls if your going city centre to city centre, and there's about 250 petrol stations on the naas road, there's plenty of exits on the motorway with petrol stations (Johnstown, Littleton etc) close by, there's fcuk all traffic until you get to the Jack Lynch tunnel, I dont see what the problem is. I usually go off at Twomileborris, go to the petrol station, then go back on at the next junction, only about 10km down the road. Good to have a break from the motorway driving anyway

Johnstown in particular is good, the apple green there you get some food. At least by not having the UK style service stations it allows the smaller stations to stay in business

And its not like you have to use the toll roads. If things are that tight you can always go through Abbeyleix and Fermoy. If you want to avoid the M50 toll, well Dublin City is still open to traffic, turn off at Finglas or Blanch and head to the Naas road via Drimnagh

The Cork Dublin drive time has reduced dramatically in the last 6 or 7 years, I think its well work the €3.80

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

for any travellers coming from UK, Europe or the states is stinks of backward Irishness

come on now, lets get onto this exit and go to ballytwotownshandy and look for a toilet and some food...and about 30 mins later and maybe a bust suspension, buckled alloy, a near miss with a massey you might, just might have found a big mac and a toilet

of course most Irish accept it for what it is, you should NOT have to veer off a motorway into other towns for a piss, or some grub, or some petrol for that bad ass V6 you have under the bonnet.

tommyhaas wrote: »
    There's only 2 tolls if your going city centre to city centre, and there's about 250 petrol stations on the naas road, there's plenty of exits on the motorway with petrol stations (Johnstown, Littleton etc) close by, there's fcuk all traffic until you get to the Jack Lynch tunnel, I dont see what the problem is. I usually go off at Twomileborris, go to the petrol station, then go back on at the next junction, only about 10km down the road. Good to have a break from the motorway driving anyway

Johnstown in particular is good, the apple green there you get some food. At least by not having the UK style service stations it allows the smaller stations to stay in business

And its not like you have to use the toll roads. If things are that tight you can always go through Abbeyleix and Fermoy. If you want to avoid the M50 toll, well Dublin City is still open to traffic, turn off at Finglas or Blanch and head to the Naas road via Drimnagh

The Cork Dublin drive time has reduced dramatically in the last 6 or 7 years, I think its well work the €3.80

€5.5 tbh

we know that dublin has loads of filling stations, try get your ass to cork or limerick and drive up on motorways to naas and see how it goes

• Advertisement

we know that dublin has loads of filling stations, try get your ass to cork or limerick and drive up on motorways to naas and see how it goes

Well it would be pretty difficult to do the Cork Dublin drive without having been in Cork first

My point was that there are service stations near the motorway exits, even before you come on at the Jack Lynch tunnel, there's a petrol station on the Lower Glanmire Road if your coming from the City, and at least one off each of the two junctions on the South Ring Rd prior to the tunnel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

totally agree, i left cork on x-mas eve to go to north dublin, due to the weather my 3 hour journey went to 4.5 hours,
    i stopped at the useless small garage on the naas road and they dont have a toilet, i have no idea what the grumpy guy behind the counter did when a toilet break was needed:eek:

leaving the motorway wasnt really an option considering most of the country was buried in snow,

€5.5 tbh

Thats if you use the M50 toll. Anyway, you're not being forced to use these toll roads, there are alternatives
    bladebrew wrote: »
    totally agree, i left cork on x-mas eve to go to north dublin, due to the weather my 3 hour journey went to 4.5 hours,
    i stopped at the useless small garage on the naas road and they dont have a toilet, i have no idea what the grumpy guy behind the counter did when a toilet break was needed:eek:

leaving the motorway wasnt really an option considering most of the country was buried in snow,

In fairness, the snow is an exception, the country as a whole is totally unprepared

@ bladebrew & x in the city, yea can imagine that would be quiet frustrating. Iv stopped recently at a garage near Abbeyleix, the toilets were disguisting. Facilities of a decent standard definitely need to be provided at service stations

Thats if you use the M50 toll. Anyway, you're not being forced to use these toll roads, there are alternatives

In fairness, the snow is an exception, the country as a whole is totally unprepared

@ bladebrew & x in the city, yea can imagine that would be quiet frustrating. Iv stopped recently at a garage near Abbeyleix, the toilets were disguisting. Facilities of a decent standard definitely need to be provided at service stations

Its not using the M50

3 motorways between cork city and the end of the naas one

1.8 x 2 & 1.90

bladebrew wrote: »

What you're doing taking three hours to go from Cork to Dublin I'll never know

Its not using the M50

3 motorways between cork city and the end of the naas one

1.8 x 2 & 1.90

Could you tell me the location of those three tolls that don't include the M50?

Well it would be pretty difficult to do the Cork Dublin drive without having been in Cork first

My point was that there are service stations near the motorway exits, even before you come on at the Jack Lynch tunnel, there's a petrol station on the Lower Glanmire Road if your coming from the City, and at least one off each of the two junctions on the South Ring Rd prior to the tunnel

dude, you are missing the point here

I am not talking inter city filling stations, its the ones (or lack of) along M routes....

zero, zilch... f**k all!!

there should be no need to go to god knows where along exits for petrol and many would be not open late also..

this is the sort of backward $hit that people in Ireland have to face

Maybe there is a niche market

X IN THE CITY ZONE!!!

Piss, all you can eat and fill that v8 bitch right up man!

actually scratch that, the general lack of a decent jax in any filling station is pretty sad!

can somone else confirm that its 3 tolls from cork to the last one on the naas road.

i paid 3..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Rodin wrote: »
    What you're doing taking three hours to go from Cork to Dublin I'll never know

he did say North Dublin...

Absurdum wrote: »
    he did say North Dublin...

Is he including Drogheda?
    Sure Newry is only 3 hr 15

how fast do you drive, 90mph constant?

• Advertisement

Is he including Drogheda?
    Sure Newry is only 3 hr 15

Dunkettle RA to Citywest is bang on 2 hours if you stick within the speed limit, it can easily take another hour to get to somewhere on the northside from there.

how fast do you drive, 90mph constant?

225 miles in 3hrs 15
    I'll let you work out the average speed

Absurdum wrote: »
    Dunkettle RA to Citywest is bang on 2 hours if you stick within the speed limit, it can easily take another hour to get to somewhere on the northside from there.

Rubbish.
    Its not 240 km from Dunkettle to Citywest

dude, you are missing the point here

I am not talking inter city filling stations, its the ones (or lack of) along M routes....

zero, zilch... f**k all!!

there should be no need to go to god knows where along exits for petrol and many would be not open late also..

this is the sort of backward $hit that people in Ireland have to face

Maybe there is a niche market

X IN THE CITY ZONE!!!

Piss, all you can eat and fill that v8 bitch right up man!

actually scratch that, the general lack of a decent jax in any filling station is pretty sad!

can somone else confirm that its 3 tolls from cork to the last one on the naas road.

i paid 3..!

Are you sure you didnt just but the Evening Herald off that lad at Newlands Cross and confuse it with a toll???

Red Cow to Jack Lynch, there's only two tolls

Johnstown, Littleton, Portlaois. They're all petrol stations along the M roads. Agreed, they may not be 24hr (dont know whether they are of arnt)

Are you sure you didnt just but the Evening Herald off that lad at Newlands Cross and confuse it with a toll???

Red Cow to Jack Lynch, there's only two tolls

Johnstown, Littleton, Portlaois. They're all petrol stations along the M roads. Agreed, they may not be 24hr (dont know whether they are of arnt)

Applegreen in Urlingford has 24h fuel. Shop and toilet closes about 10
    As I said before, it is only two hours!
    Wouldn't want it to be like Dublin to Dundalk which has TWO service areas in both directions

Rubbish.
    Its not 240 km from Dunkettle to Citywest

sorry, it's 236 :rolleyes:

142957.jpg

Applegreen in Urlingford has 24h fuel. Shop and toilet closes about 10
    As I said before, it is only two hours!
    Wouldn't want it to be like Dublin to Dundalk which has TWO service areas in both directions

I think I might be confusing Johnstown with Urlingford

I think I might be confusing Johnstown with Urlingford

Off the slip road, around two roundabouts then left for Johnstown, right for Urlingford

Urlingford has 3 fuel stations

Off the slip road, around two roundabouts then left for Johnstown, right for Urlingford

Urlingford has 3 fuel stations

you might want to get out of the big smoke a while and go down south and count the huge array of splendid 24h filling stations...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

you might want to get out of the big smoke a while and go down south and count the huge array of splendid 24h filling stations...:rolleyes:

Urlingford has 24h fuel.

It is roughly half way on the Cork to Dublin trip. You complained there was nowhere to stop for fuel (why you dont fill up before you leave I dont know) and I just provided you with a place. 2.5km off the motorway.
    And its a proper village, not just a service station.

I think you're just moaning for the sake of it. You probably want a station every mile.

Advertisement