Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is running best exercise for weight loss

• 20-11-2010 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Is running the best cardio exercise for weight loss? I have 3 stone to lose and would also like to get mega fit, also any recommendations on how to get started with the training

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭kennyb3

TBH for weight loss you ll struggle to beat cycling, you can do it for so many hours assuming you go at the correct speed and if you are heavy you dont have to worry about impact injuries, such as knee injuries. A 3 hour cycle on a saturady morning toghther with 2-3*1hr intense rides during the week and you ll be flying. just be careful not to eat loads extra to compensate when you feel tired. if you do feel hungry eat the right foods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 KJL3

Consistent running/jogging over a few months and you'll have no problem losing weight. Consistency is the thing, no point in just 1 or 2 days a week. But important to remember to start low and go slow. If you haven't run before, start by walking 20-30mins 3/4 days a week, gradually increasing the distance, frequency and intensity as the weeks go by. The big mistake is to do too much too soon - your body won't be used to it and you'll just risk getting injured and demoralised. Stick with it though and you'll be amazed at the difference it'll make to you (If you can stay motivated over the winter months). Good luck

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

The main key to weight loss is your diet. Exercise will do you no good in this regard if you eat too much. I've found running every second day with 3 nice meals a day to work perfectly for me. Good luck :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Running is only second to cross-country skiing for weight loss. Cycling comes a bit down the list, but as kennyb3 says its kinder on the joints.

gerard65 wrote: »
    Running is only second to cross-country skiing for weight loss. Cycling comes a bit down the list, but as kennyb3 says its kinder on the joints.
    I'd say your talking in terms of calories per hour? but you have to compare how long your average cyclist spends training to your average cyclist runner.

I'd spend up to 15hrs per week training to be cycling fit but only 6 hours or so running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

kennyb3 wrote: »
    I'd say your talking in terms of calories per hour? but you have to compare how long your average cyclist spends training to your average cyclist runner.

I'd spend up to 15hrs per week training to be cycling fit but only 6 hours or so running.

That's a good reason to go running so!

Is 1 hr running equal to 3 - 4 hrs cycling for burning calories? Hence running is more efficent as a weight loss exercise. (Disclaimer - I may be completely wrong about that, scampers off to google it)

Is 1 hr running equal to 3 - 4 hrs cycling for burning calories? Hence running is more efficent as a weight loss exercise. (Disclaimer - I may be completely wrong about that, scampers off to google it)
    I think 1:4 is the often mentioned ratio of miles run to miles cycled, but not in terms of calories.

http://www.fitpronutrition.com/main.asp?nID=803

dna_leri wrote: »
    That's a good reason to go running so!
    Depend whether you like the wife or not:D

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

yes you are completely wrong!

• Advertisement

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    yes you are completely wrong!
    Thanks, your comment has been very helpful and amusing:rolleyes:

OP you asked where you could start. The 'couch to 5k' program works, here's a link:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Is running the best cardio exercise for weight loss? I have 3 stone to lose and would also like to get mega fit, also any recommendations on how to get started with the training

I'm not qualified to say whether its the best or not at losing weight but lose weight you will if you put the training in. In the year when I ran my first marathon I lost more than 3 stone so its definitely achievable. Hardest days are at the start but once you get the willpower sorted and your goals in order you can do it. I've been running regularly since 2004 and my weight is a hungry looking 68 kgs. As for getting started, little by little and build gradually is key. My first slow jogs were probably around 20 mins duration and I built slowly but surely from there. Best of luck.

Can i just add OP that you should do whatever sport you are likely to enjoy most, as you are more likely to stick with it. I love both running and cycling, but not cycling in the winter and hence concentrate fully on running over the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

This might sound very obvious, but if you want to lose weight you have to eat less calories than you use every day.

Exercise is very good way of helping you do this, but will not help unless the basic equation of calories burned > calories eaten is true.

Here are a few statistics to underline this.

3500 calories = 1 lb of fat. If you undereat by 3500 calories, you will lose 1 lb of fat.

So, burn 500 calories a day less than you eat and you will lose 1lb a week.

Running burns approx 100 calories per mile run. (This is an average for someone who weighs 70kg). So a 5K run burns 300 calories.

1 chocolate biscuit has 100 calories. 1 Mars Bars has about 300.

If you start a C25K running plan now, you could be running 5k 3 times a
    week in 10 weeks and you can improve from there. Until you get to the
    point where you are running 10K, 3 times a week, running on it own will
    not make you drop 3 st.

Exercise will help you loss weight, but as the numbers above show, you have to eat less, every day to loss weight.

Buts lets be positive, you have taken the first step. Start regulating your eating and start the C25K program and see where it takes you.

It can be done, get started, it great fun out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

+1 to the above two posts

The best exercise for weight loss is the one you will stick to.

Don't underestimate diet - unless you're training large volumes, you can't out train a bad diet, you will need a calorie deficit like mentionned above

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

This ...
    ULstudent wrote: »
    ...you will need a calorie deficit like mentionned above

I do running ... I haven't lost any weight and have probably put it on. Eat less food than you burn and you'll loose weight, eat more food than you burn and you'll put it on. Simples

As for the highest intensity workout you can do I was pretty sure that was XC skiing by quite a distance, but I can't remember what to poke Google with to get the list up right now. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 holatrish32

thanks for all the advice and suggestions, time to get motoring:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

Get yourself a bike. i myself am a jogger and prefer that form of excerise, but if its the weight you want to lose then just start cycling. it will drop off. trust me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I have had experience in both running and cycling. I took up running when I was in my early twenties as I was looking to shift a bit of weight. I was touching 14 stone and looked every bit of it. Within 2 years of steady running (4/5 times a week) I was down to 11 stone 5. I maintained this weight for a few years until runners knee forced me to take up cycling. My lifestyle didn't change much and I got well into the cycling (2 or 3 x 1hr a week with a long 3to 4 hr cycle at the weekend). However with the cycling my thighs became massive and I gained a stone within a year.
    Back running the last few years and I am finding it hard to come down from my current 13 stone but as I am in my late thirties maybe this is to be expected?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

Lets say your running a fair bit (~60-70miles) and want to drop weight. You eat like a horse to keep energy levels up. Any way to drop the weight that way?
    Eating less means less energy so can't train as hard...

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

ocnoc wrote: »
    Lets say your running a fair bit (~60-70miles) and want to drop weight. You eat like a horse to keep energy levels up. Any way to drop the weight that way?
    Eating less means less energy so can't train as hard...

Thoughts?
    Am in the same boat myself. I thought I couldnt live without bread and have nearly cut it out of my diet altogether(nearly) I have a huge appetite but now I mix a load of salad in a bowel add in xtra light mayo to mix it up add in chicken or tuna etc. This fills me up until dinner. 3 weeks ago I wouldnt have thought a lunch without bread was a lunch. Now I know its possible. Expect to shed a good deal of weight if i carry this on.
    Keep a diary of what you eat ? I bet you eat more than you think.
    Still 13st 10ibs but expect to get under 13st by xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Can i just add OP that you should do whatever sport you are likely to enjoy most, as you are more likely to stick with it. I love both running and cycling, but not cycling in the winter and hence concentrate fully on running over the winter.

Best advice on the thread so far.

If you can find something that you really enjoy doing wheather it is cycling, running, 5 a side soccer, squash its much easier to stick to. Also if you can find a training partner it really helps as you can spur each other on and on the dark winter nights its much easier to get out of the house training if you know that you will be letting someone down if you dont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I cycle now and then and have started jogging in the last few weeks. If you have a bicycle with plenty of gears you can get up most hills by going to a lower gear (it is still a struggle).

A good training spin on a bike for me is about 75 km / 3 hrs 20 mins. My morning jog is 1.8 miles and between 16 and 17 minutes, five times a week. My maximum jog is 3 miles. It is jog / walk. You can see that my cycling and jogging is slow. I am 60 years old.

If you want to lose weight I believe you need to eat less. I have electronic weighing scales that measure to 0.2 pounds (Argos). I now weight myself every morning. My weight 12 months ago was 161 pounds, today it is 151 pounds. What gets measured gets actioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Just another thought. Recently I had a minor operation. The instruction was to stay off food and liquid from midnight for the operation at 07:30 next day. It was in the middle of October and there was an Ireland soccer international on TV. I had a snack at half-time (about 20:15) and didn't eat or drink afterwards.

Next day I was ready for the operation at 07:30 but the surgeon sensibly did the younger patients first (small children). My op was at about 10:00. By then I was starving. When I woke from the general anaesthetic I had a cup of tea and two slices of toast. Magic.

What I realised is how accustomed I was to snacking throughout most evenings until midnight while watching TV. I'm sure I could lose weight by not eating after 9 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

buck65 wrote: »
    I was touching 14 stone .... Within 2 years of steady running ... I was down to 11 stone 5. I maintained this weight for a few years until runners knee forced me to take up cycling. .... However with the cycling my thighs became massive and I gained a stone within a year.
    Back running the last few years and I am finding it hard to come down from my current 13 stone but as I am in my late thirties maybe this is to be expected?

Surely this is missing a key point. Being heavy and out of shape is very different to being in shape and 'carrying' muscle.

Given your regular exercise, your present weight of 13st is unlikely to be overweight. If you want to lose weight then you are looking to reduce muscle mass. {BTW, just in case anyone points to BMI as a measure, I recall reading that based on his BMI measurement Brian O Driscoll would be categorised as obese}

On another point, not sure how scientific but IMO when I am exercising I tend to eat better in terms of what I feel like eating. The cravings for a burger or Kebab are not really there after a session in the pool :p That said, mid-afternoon chocolate is still my downfall, but working on it - ( do chocolate-covered raisins count ? :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Oldlegs wrote: »
    {BTW, just in case anyone points to BMI as a measure, I recall reading that based on his BMI measurement Brian O Driscoll would be categorised as obese}

True. BMI is not an accurate measurement of healthy weight, if your percentage of muscle is much higher than normal. This is usually made clear in the introduction on any reputable BMI calculator.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭VirtualWorld

Hmmm.... while on the one hand I want to say that I agree, the best sport to loose weight is the one that you enjoy.... On the other hand I can't help but think that it took over a year of running for me to get to the point where I can now say I enjoy it.

I'm concerned that by pushing the "you have to like it" idea that you might put someone off from continuing after the tenth "why the hell am I still doing this?" run.

It did take me a good year to feel like I actually like running. (Being an ex smoker may have contributed to this... I really don't known)

The tricks according to me are as follows:

1) Rem. ANY run, even the ones that are mostly walked, are that many steps more than you would've taken if you had stayed on the couch eating crisps. Well done you!!

2) In my experience, it doesn't matter how much I hate the idea of going out for a run, I've NEVER been sorry I went by the time I get home again.

3) Set goals. Goals to run a distance or time without stopping. Goals to only allow yourself 1/2/3 little walks in your run. Goal when you do resort to a walk to start running again when you get to that next ESB pole/tree/car/gate/sheep. :eek:

4) When you feel yourself talking yourself out of the run half way around, rem to try not to finish the run knowing you could've done better.

5) Company is always good on a run. Don't feel bad if someone is volunteering to run with you and you feel as though you are slowing them down. Chances are, they are thinking about point number 1 above. You will push yourself along a whole lot easier with company in my opinion. Also, if you plan to meet someone for a run, then you're obliged to actually turn up and run!! Ipods etc are probably good for this too even though I personally don't use them.

6) Vary your route. Choose a route that doesn't allow a short cut home if you can. Then even if you end up walking you've still done the distance.

7) Time yourself on a certain route/distance once a fortnight or so.

8) Cut yourself plenty of slack. Sometimes you are just banjaxed on a run. That's allowed for a million reasons.

9) STRETCH

10) Allow yourself to do something else other than a run if you just CAN'T talk yourself into a scheduled run. Swim, cycle, play the wii... Anything so that you don't feel like you've sold out.

11) Read running stuff. It gets you motivated.

I prob could think of another 10 if I tried. I best stop though.

Best of luck with it.

BEST reason to run... speaking as a girl.... You get to have a better ass than you ever had as a teenager!!!! I never stopped to inquire why... I just know it to be true!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Running is one of the least time effective methods of losing weight permanently. The problem with running is that in order to continue to lose weight, you have to do more of it. Thats fine when youre training for a marathon but once the marathon is over, you will be doing less training than before so weight will creep back on.
    You can run faster, but again, most people are limited by a natural upper speed limit and cant contiually run faster.

I agree that you should do whatever you enjoy, but for permanent weight loss, weight training is far better. The reasons its far better are numberous, but the two main ones are; workouts can be made progressively harder, without being made longer and muscle burns more calories, so more muscle mass = higher meatabloic rate.

For the record, I enjoy running and triathlons and have been a personal trainer since 1997 so I've tried everything myself and with clients since then and in my opinion, weight training has the best LONG TERM results for weight loss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 holatrish32

thanks for that i have weight trained in the past but it was never a priority in my workouts, kind of rushed through it to get to my cardio, will give it a go

Advertisement