Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v Scotland -Aviva Stadium - Saturday 10th March 5pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,690 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I think experience is very important at 9.

Yet another reason the selection of Murray was baffling.

I'd agree and the whole defense thing annoys the bejaysus out of me as well. Since when is it the SH's job to act like another backrower?
    It's not just the fact he has very little international experience, he very little experience of pro rugby.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Well hang on a minute, we're constantly berating Kidney for not trying new guys, sticking with the same players etc etc so we can't insist on all the selections being massively experienced at the same time. I don't agree with Murray's selection either, but still...

The problem with O'Leary's selection is that he has plenty of experience but most of it is negative. It could be argued that TOL should get the nod because we know exactly what he can do. I would argue that he should not be picked because we know exactly what he can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

JRant wrote: »
    I'd agree and the whole defense thing annoys the bejaysus out of me as well. Since when is it the SH's job to act like another backrower?
    It's not just the fact he has very little international experience, he very little experience of pro rugby.

lads hang on a minute

Murray was very good in the first half in Paris and easily justified his selection

He was faster from the base and less indecisive. Not to mention how good his defense was, must have a look for one very good hit on Dusatoir in particular

He went a long way to putting Para off his game too.

Credit where credit is due is all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Well hang on a minute, we're constantly berating Kidney for not trying new guys, sticking with the same players etc etc so we can't insist on all the selections being massively experienced at the same time. I don't agree with Murray's selection either, but still...

The problem with O'Leary's selection is that he has plenty of experience but most of it is negative. It could be argued that TOL should get the nod because we know exactly what he can do. I would argue that he should not be picked because we know exactly what he can do.
    We're arguing for Kidney to give more experience to different players. That's exactly what he should be doing here.

I'm agreeing that experience is important at 9. That's clear as day. I think its a reason to involve Paul Marshall more than anything, as we know TOL is not good enough. Marshall needs to be coming off the bench to get a taste of international Rigby and give him an idea of what he is aspiring to.

Re: France. Conor Murrays defense contributed to a good overall performance, but if anyone thinks that was a good attacking display then it just shows how low our standards have been lowered the past three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I'm really worried about this game. Scotland have been playing very good rugby with little reward. They are going to be gunning for us. If we win this it will be a really good win. With their backrow, Reddan is going to be under serious pressure unless we commit men to the ruck and be absolutely ruthless clearing out. If we do that then we should win the match, if we end up with slow sloppy ball, turning over ball at rucks etc, we'll lose the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Conor Murrays defense contributed to a good overall performance, but if anyone thinks that was a good attacking display then it just shows how low our standards have been lowered the past three years.

On the money; France were really crap in the first half; fair is fair though; The Irish capitalized on it but all France had to do was make a few tweeks at half time and we were totally rattled.

Fishooks12 wrote: »

lads hang on a minute

Murray was very good in the first half in Paris and easily justified his selection

He was faster from the base and less indecisive. Not to mention how good his defense was, must have a look for one very good hit on Dusatoir in particular

He went a long way to putting Para off his game too.

Credit where credit is due is all I'm saying.

I'm not saying he didn't have a good showing against France at all. He was sound defensively and did manage to speed up his game No doubt he can become a very good player but he's still very raw. Admittedly this experience can only be good for him in the long term, however his game is suffering short term because he's still learning how to play pro rugby never mind international. I think he could have done with a full pre-season program at Munster to iron out his faults and really nail his basics. Hopefully he gets back soon enough from his injury.

I have no problem with young blood coming into the team, lord knows we could do it. What I can't understand is how he went from 4/5th choice to starting a WC QF despite not doing a whole lot to earn it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I'm worried about this. Something was wrong in the lineout last week and that cannot improve with loss of of POC.

Also I worry that we psycologically we're back in a place where we feel we have lifted our performance and with a bit more of the same we'll put Scotland away handily enough.

We need to build on our performance, France were abject in the first half and Scotland will definitely come at us with another level of aggression and passion than the French displayed.

Key to keep up the line speed in defence, stop the ball from getting to hogg and attack their 10. We can't cede anything physically or it will feed them and give them belief. Got to get them pyschologically feeling dominated and cause them to try and force the game.

Hope Cap'n Rory enjoys his day with the armband.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

SOB out.

- Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Infected foot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

bleg wrote: »
    SOB out.

- Twitter

6 Ferris
    7 POM
    8 Heaslip

19 Henry

?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Confirmed on RTE Radio.
    SOB Out.

Wonder who will be called up. Dom Ryan? proper number 7. Chances are minimal but would be good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

.ak wrote: »
    Infected foot?

Presume so. Would take a while for a skin infection to clear up in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

FFS. Now I KNOW Ferris is going to be crying off with a knee problem during the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

THIS IS FARMINGS FAULT SOMEHOW

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Shane Jennings called up. Heard it on the radio a few minutes ago

He's got foot in mouth.

I wonder will he start or will POM start?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

I'd say POM will start. They said Jennings has been called into the squad, not the 22. So if Henry or Ruddock are already in the squad perhaps they will get the bench spot?

Knowing Kidney however they wont be. He'll go for the least progressive, most absurd and pointless option. Although Jennings can be usefull coming on after 60 minutes to speed things up a bit

Confirmed on RTE Radio.
    SOB Out.

Wonder who will be called up. Dom Ryan? proper number 7. Chances are minimal but would be good to see.

Dang.

I think Kev McLaughlin has been with the squad, he could be in with a shout, or maybe promote Toner to the bench and have McCarthy as back-row cover?

I'd love to see Henry get the shout but Kidney just doesn't seem to rate him.

Edit: just saw the post about Jennings, presume he'll be benching while POM starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Is it an accurate presumption to make that Jennings will be on the bench instead of Henry?

If this is the case, I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

RoundBox11 wrote: »

ah here, that's a disgrace if he is in ahead of Henry.

RoundBox11 wrote: »

It would seem the Ulster lads are not well thought of by the current management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Its POM's first start though, you cant realistically have no experienced cover on the bench when blooding a new player. As much as I'd like Henry to be there if he was we wouldnt really have any cover. We know Jennings can do a job so he's the safer option I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

It would seem the Ulster lads are not well thought of by the current management.

Deccie's only brought through one Ulster player (Tom Court) in his four years in charge. The fact they've once again become a major European force has completely passed him by.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

The Irish team for this weekend's match (http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/25843.php)

15 - Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
    14 - Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)
    13 - Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
    12 - Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    11 - Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
    10 - Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
    9 - Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    1 - Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
    2 - Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) (capt)
    3 - Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster)
    4 - Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    5 - Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
    6 - Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)
    7 - Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    8 - Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)

Replacements:

16 - Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
    17 - Tom Court (Malone/Ulster)
    18 - Mike McCarthy (Buccaneers/Connacht)
    19 - Shane Jennings (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
    20 - Tomas O'Leary (Dolphin/Munster)
    21 - Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    22 - Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

This is starting to annoy me, I'm a Leinster fan, but come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

So can we start questioning Kidneys stance on Ulster players? I know Best has been made captain but he's the only provincial captai left in the starting line-up. That was a no brainer decision.

Tuohy and Henry can feel very hard dome by in these selections. And lets not forget Craig Gilroy. A starting winger for Ulster who is apparently not good enough for the Wolfhounds :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Touhy's snub I can understand. He jumps at the front and doesn't have McCarthy 's experience of running a lineout. But Jennings ahead of Henry makes no sense, especially as Henry has been training with the squad afaik. Maybe Kidney wants an out and out 7 just in case POM doesn't work out and Scotland will be playing 2 7s?

• Advertisement

Tox56 wrote: »
    This is starting to annoy me, I'm a Leinster fan, but come on.

In fairness now, a lot of us have been b*tching for a long time that Jennings hasn't gotten a fair shake from Kidney when he's been in great form for Leinster. Of course, his form for Leinster has dropped off a bit recently, but he's still a good player. I would have liked to see Henry get a run, but Kidney was never going to start with POM and have him backed up Henry, another guy with only one cap to his name.

While I'm gutted for O'Brien and I think it weakens the team, let's just appreciate the fact that it's forced Kidney's hand into trying out a new guy. I hope POM goes well on Saturday, the Scots have a class act at 7 and with Barclay and Denton, their back row is probably their main area of strength so all three of our guys will have to be on their game.

Advertisement