Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direction of satellite dish?

• 27-04-2010 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Sorry if this was asked before but I can't find an answer.

If you get sky digital I presume you have to get a satellite dish. If so does it have to face a particular direction? My husband hates the look of a dish on the front of a house. The house behind us has their dish on the back of their house facing roughly south east. I presume therefore that we would have to put a dish on the front of our house facing roughly the same direction. If this is the case I know my husband will have a fit and insist we get UPC instead but from what I've read sky seems to be better barr a few problems like tuning in ITV and UPC will cost us more for the channel we wants.

I think he's being ridiculous as I think dishes are like overhead wires, people are so used to them being there they don't even notice them anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

You can fit a stand off bracket and pole to the back of your house and still have the dish facing in the right direction, you will be charged extra for this though.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 14 PrettyP

Thanks Tony.

Had a look at your website. It's a pity I watch Sky1 and Living quite a bit as otherwise the free to air would do just fine. And to be able to receive the London versions of British channels would be bliss. Can't stand regional programming, I just want the main stuff (at the time it's supposed to be on!).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

No problem, you can tune in regional channels on a sky box . Theres a sticky thread with the details. Good luck with it

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

PrettyP wrote: »
    Thanks Tony.

Had a look at your website. It's a pity I watch Sky1 and Living quite a bit as otherwise the free to air would do just fine. And to be able to receive the London versions of British channels would be bliss. Can't stand regional programming, I just want the main stuff (at the time it's supposed to be on!).

You could always get a free to view box for your second or third tv in the bedroom etc and save on multi room costs. With certain set-ups you can have up to 8 feeds/cables running from you dish so in theory you could have 8 satellite receivers all running from the one dish. You can have Sky and Freesat running from the same dish. You can also get TV's with freesat built in so no under the TV receiver/box is needed.

Regarding the dish and how they look, I agree 100% with you. In my opinion from a cost and flexibility perspective a dish is a better option than UPC, the cost argument should win your husband over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭montgolfiere

There are also Flat Plate Satellite 'Dishes' or 'Transparent' Dishes which are more 'Discreet'...maybe these may offer a solution to your dilemma
    The Skyman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 PrettyP

Thanks for all the advice!

Advertisement