Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    The Mask - havent seen it in a very long time tbh, and i have to say i seriously forgot how hilarious it is especially when a little bit tipsy :D, brings back memories of seeing it in the cinema when i was like 9 or 10 i think :eek:, plus Cameron Diaz is the eptimome of 90s hotness in it just wow! ;)

greatest. entrance. ever.

purely for critique of statement I just made, I present exhibit A :

she was only 19 in this, I feel very old.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Super: Watchable, I know it got labelled as a Kick-Ass rip off when it came out but there aint really many similarities between the two. Super provides a more realistic and mundane take on what happens if someone becomes a superhero. For a comedy there isn't too many laughs and most of them come from the OTT violence, and Ellen Page's (who plays Ellen Page yet again.) sidekick character. The
    rape scene between The Crimson Bolt and Boltie was odd and handled in a manner that was fairly dismissive of it, I don't know if it got any attention when the film was initially released but I reckon it would have got a lot more if the roles had been reversed.

I thought the
    rape scene
    was one of the biggest laugh out loud moments in the film. Think its unfair to dismiss Paige's role as just playing Ellen Paige, she played a complete homicidal maniac, was a very different role for her imho. Seriously messed up movie, and all the more awesome for it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The next three days

Didn't like it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just after watching world's greatest dad, thought it was very good.

Nova Zembla

Dutch historical film, follows the true story of a Dutch ship which tried to sail along the top of Russia to Japan

Interesting story and well shot

Very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,821 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA

Kris Kristofferson gets all introspective
    talkin' to a bagged head on the seat of his car.

Another masterpeice from the legendary Sam Peckinpah.

Warren Oates.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I watched all three Matrix movies: the first a couple of weeks ago, then the final two over consecutive evenings this week. It made more sense that way, since Reloaded and Revolutions were filmed in one go and are basically a single two-part film - which tripped me up when I first saw them ten years ago, when I lost the thread entirely. The last film jumps in straight from the end of the 2nd, with no exposition or flashbacks to refresh your memory.

Now I can say I've done it, and can say I've seen all three and got a decent handle on the plot. I did want to rip out my scorched retinas when the final credits rolled, after over 4 hours of being bombarded with some of the most insane imagery ever put on the screen. That final fight between Smith and Neo had me going "ow!" at every gargantuan blow, and I had to go on Wikipedia for explanations of what happened at the end.
    Neo and Trinity and all those people in Zion killed, and for what? The Matrix wasn't destroyed - just rebooted - so could it all happen again?

But I did appreciate the imagination and skill that went in to it, the "easter eggs", and historical allusions such as the Merovingian and his wife Persephone. If you saw the Revisited documentary, you'll know that Keanu was a bit stiff for a good reason: he'd had major surgery on his neck before the first film, and couldn't risk doing more damage, so that became his fighting style.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

I hated how in Matrix Revolutions the three main characters are missing for over an hour of the movie, we're instead left with uninteresting crusties battling robots in a place we dont care about. does anyone else thing given the choice they'd take staying in the matrix? I would, supercool place where you can defy phsyics or hanging around in a cave with a bunch of hippies? no argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

krudler wrote: »
    I hated how in Matrix Revolutions the three main characters are missing for over an hour of the movie, we're instead left with uninteresting crusties battling robots in a place we dont care about. does anyone else thing given the choice they'd take staying in the matrix? I would, supercool place where you can defy phsyics or hanging around in a cave with a bunch of hippies? no argument.

Yep but you wouldnt aware of that so you wouldnt know that you could mental stuff.

What Morpheus should have said to Neo instead of the red pill/blue pill was do you want steak or this 'oatmeal'.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Yep but you wouldnt aware of that so you wouldnt know that you could mental stuff.

What Morpheus should have said to Neo instead of the red pill/blue pill was do you want steak or this 'oatmeal'.

steak! that whole thing with Cypher wanting to go back in should have been explored more in the sequels, surely other people got sick of the cave dwelling existence and wanted back into ignorant bliss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Well, as I understand it, the Matrix itself was in danger, since Agent Smith was taking over and ruining it. The process was already underway at the start of the first movie. By the end of the last movie, he'd "assimilated" every single "avatar" in the Matrix, so it was populated solely by copies of himself. So it had to be rebooted, but to let the Architect do that, Neo had to defeat Smith. I presume there were "backups" of the avatars of all the other billions of people we don't see.

I thought the "Zion" thing was partly lifted from William Gibson's book Neuromancer. In the book, Zion was a space station populated by mad orbital Rastas, which had an access port that could be used to attack the rogue AI "Wintermute". In the movie, it's the "anti-Matrix" - everything the Matrix is not, the "analog" vs the "digital". The people in Zion, who had left the Matrix were the only ones left who had not been taken over by Smith, the only ones left to resist him, and Neo's success wasn't guaranteed. So yeah, it was kind-of important that they survived, I suppose.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

The Cannonball Run (1981)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082136/

Was my first time seeing this old classic that I'd heard lots about. Was great fun I must say with an all star cast including the incomparable Farrah Fawcett... Highly recommended :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,821 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Never really understood what it was that people saw in 'The Matrix' films. The first one is good, but trails off in the last third.

The second is terrible, with terrible characters and by the third, I just didn't care anymore.

Plus Reeves is just awful. Just awful.

How that flute managed to carve out a career in acting, I'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Tony EH wrote: »
    Plus Reeves is just awful. Just awful.

How that flute managed to carve out a career in acting, I'll never know.

This...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

greatest. entrance. ever.

purely for critique of statement I just made, I present exhibit A :

she was only 19 in this, I feel very old.
    she was 22, born in 72 and this was out in 94, she was smoking hot in this, at her best in my opinion,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"The Actors" (2002) - Comedy with Michael Caine, Dylan Moran and Michael Gambon. A little gem shot in Dublin City. Caine and Moran are two down on their luck actors starring in a strange adaption of Richard III at the Olympia when the former comes up with a scheme to scam a Dublin criminal - Michael Gambon - with hilarious results. DVD was only €4.90 on eBay and provided light relief at the end of another hard day. :D

The whole movie is only 88 mins and is on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Auvers wrote: »
    I like Tom Cruise

but War of the Worlds is terrible

When I watched that I was constantly thinking "Oh the aliens are after Tom Cruise", "What's Tom gonna do now" and such.

I'm not alone either. Others felt the same way. He's a great actor, but for some reason I saw Tom Cruise, not, the character.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Stormageddon

Tyrannosaur - Paddy Considines (full length) directorial debut. Overall enjoyed it, Peter Mullan and Olivia Colman were fantastic in the lead roles, but the whole thing was almost relentlessly bleak and depressing. Had to have a pixar marathon afterwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Zodiark12

Tree of Life - I can see why some people gave up on it (slow, overblown sometimes) but the imagery, camera shots and the story of a boy growing up with his family really stuck with me. I really wished I had seen it in the cinema when it was released - the birth of the Earth sequence would have been something to behold on the big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Saw Silent Predators last night on movies24. Reminded me of snakes on a plane. Scary sh*t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Tony EH wrote: »
    Warren Oates.

You are indeed correct sir. My mistake.

:o

Shaft

How did I never get around to watching this before now?
    Heard about this film for years and of course knew the music but had never seen it

John Shaft, now that man is cool :cool:

What's my name???

Very good film, enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Watched Senna there tonight, thought it was excellent. Never realized how much hate there was between Senna and Prost.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Just watched as much of Love Exposure as I could, absolutely stunning film but it's always on too late for me. Must buy DVD off ebay or amazon this week. Anybody else here a fan of this bizarro film?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah its brilliant in its insanity, scope and self indulgence.

All of Sion Sono's other films are worth a gander. Hugely underappreciated fellow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Watchmen

Had to knock this off after an hour; hadn't a clue what was going on.

Too many flashbacks, complicated and moody voice-over, and characters I didn't warm to.

Obviously a film made by a fan of the graphic novel...

for fans of the graphic novel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

JAWS: Watching this on UTV and it never gets old.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Spirited Away cause I hadn't seen it in a few years. Forgot how it just such a beautiful film and so heartwarming :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just watched Tower Heist, really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,905 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

teednab-el wrote: »
    Watched Senna there tonight, thought it was excellent. Never realized how much hate there was between Senna and Prost.
    Good movie, but seriously biased.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement