Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars 4-6, Star Wars 1-3 or Lord of the Rings?

• 13-02-2012 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Heres a question for my fellow AH'ers. Over all, which is the best trilogy? I finally saw Lord of the Rings about a month ago and I re watched Star Wars episodes 4-6 this weekend. IMO Star Wars episodes 4-6 were better but not by much. second comes lotr then the other star wars trilogy third Just interested in what the After Hours community thinks! I'll add a poll if I can find out how..

Please use spoilers if spoiling is necessary

The best over all trilogy? 211 votes

Star Wars Episodes I-III
    0% 0 votes
    Star Wars Episodes IV-VI
    6% 13 votes
    Lord of the Rings
    42% 90 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    51% 108 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

LOTR is very childish, everything turned out too perfectly in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Both stories have their merits and very few drawbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,490 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

While I like Star Wars no one trilogy was ever totally amazing. Empire Strikes Back was a great movie, for instance, but the first 3 altogether? Just seems not as good as LOTR. No offence to Jedis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

LOTR is very childish, everything turned out too perfectly in the end.

you obviously didn't pay much attention to the films or books. I wont give the ending away for anyone, but to say it worked out perfectly is not right. Now I better say goodnight, before I get emotional about it. Serious fan here. Sad I know :o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

star wars. it changed everything. the beatles of film. its ingrained in popular culture to a ridiculous extent and will never be matched in this regard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I havn't seen any of the Star Wars films, so LOTR

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

SW 4 - 6. Epic. Empire Strikes Back is my fav film of all time. That said, I also love LOTR. But not above SW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Lotr books.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Star Wars must have been completely mind blowing when it came out back in the 70s, and it still looks good today. Im going with star wars 4-6

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Spunge wrote: »
    Star Wars must have been completely mind blowing when it came out back in the 70s, and it still looks good today. Im going with star wars 4-6

There is probably some validity to the fact that without Star Wars then LOTR would never have been made.

Star Wars was a monumental game changer for Hollywood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

the only good thing about the newest star wars trilogy is this guys reviews of them, brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Spunge wrote: »
    Bigtime, even without CGI they could very credibly be released tomorrow and be very acceptable. More than that, they'd easily give something like Avatar a run for its money. The closest thing since would have to be Firefly.

The LotR in cinema was fairly scalped as I recall, you need the director's cut on DVD to really enjoy it and understand the plot if you hadn't read the books. What I liked about the books was the effort Tolkien put into realising his world in great detail, elaborating beautiful descriptions of even minor events and scenes, a wordsmith at his peak.

It was a very tough job to translate that to cinema but I reckon Jackson did the best job possible with it.

My verdict would have to be both were incredible in their own way, SW 4 to 6 were made for cinema and really took advantage of the medium, with fast punchy scenes, plot and character development. The LotR movies credibly tackled the difficult task of pushing what was basically an epic along the lines of Beowulf, complete with quite archaic language, onto that same medium. Both good for different reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the original Star Wars changed movies forever, thats not even up for debate. while the overmarketing and merchandising of summer movies is pretty much down to the merchandising of Star Wars (which 20th Century Fox gave to George Lucas for half nothing as they thought nobody would want little action figures of the characters, Lucas has since made about $500 MILLION from the merchanise alone). the positives in the wake of it can't be ignored, no Star Wars= no Pixar (Lucas owned the company originally before selling it to Steve Jobs in 1986) and without that we wouldnt have some amazing animated movies being made these days. Lucas for all his filmmaking faults is a true pioneer of technology in film, he still cant write a script to save his life though.

It must have been amazing to see Star Wars on its release, I was born in 1981 so missed all of the original movies in the cinema but my dad told me that he went to see it and you could hear the air being sucked out of the cinema from the collective gasp of the audience who had no idea what they were seeing when this happened:

so yeah, Star Wars wins. am really looking forward to The Hobbit though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Probably one of the few that hasn't seen any of these, sorry but I could never sit through 3 hours of wizards or space wars, etc. I've never seen Star Wars but I do know Darth Vader is Luke's father so not really bothered watching them now...Lord of the Rings movies just look very, very dull and depressing..not something I'd be in any way interested in..very boring stuff altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 15,228 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Im gonna go with the original trilogy Star Wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

AH->Films

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Hmmmm, I don't think I need to leave a comment!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

star wars 4-6, to be specific the first version I saw.

i.e han shoots second and no gungans shouting "we'z free" at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

star wars 4-6 no contest - watched Empire on Blu Ray recently and looks like it could have been made this year, one of the best films ever made.

LOTR is just 3 films of people walking....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Star Wars episodes i to iii are completely sh*te and i think the orignals were kinda ruined when lucas started adding extra scenes. Lotr is class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Was the inclusion of Star Wars 1-3 another joke option?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭fusuf

biko wrote: »
    AH->Films
    can this not be in AH? It was a question for AH'ers.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Probably one of the few that hasn't seen any of these, sorry but I could never sit through 3 hours of wizards or space wars, etc. I've never seen Star Wars but I do know Darth Vader is Luke's father so not really bothered watching them now...Lord of the Rings movies just look very, very dull and depressing..not something I'd be in any way interested in..very boring stuff altogether

This makes my brain hurt!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I havn't seen any of the Star Wars films, so LOTR

If you haven't seen the alternative how can you vote on which is better?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Huge LOTR fan but probably gotta go with Star Wars 4-6, I did thoroughly enjoy Star Wars 3, but the first two were muck

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,117 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I went with LOTR purely because in terms of consistency its a far better trilogy. I love both episodes 4-6 and LOTR though and the cultural and cinematic impact of Star Wars can't be denied.

Revenge of the Sith is the only half decent of the newers ones, I prefer to think of Genndy Tarkofsky's(SP?) Clone Wars volume 1 & 2 as the first 2 parts of that trilogy proper ;)

Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones belong with the two Ewoks movies(which I loved as a kid but refuse to watch now as I'm sure they're crap).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Star Wars is an easy winner. Return of the King was a disaster of a film I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Fcuking voted for the wrong Star Wars trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭fusuf

Fcuking voted for the wrong Star Wars trilogy.
    you and 4 others!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Hard to vote for any of these.

LotR was interesting in spots, but suffered badly from being a heavily edited version of much better books, with a certain amount of nonsense inserted because Peter Jackson said so.

Original Star Wars is badly let down by Return of the Jedi, which is crap.

The prequels are all much worse than RotJ.

Advertisement