Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get the appearance of Vista on XP...

• 03-12-2006 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,758 ✭✭✭✭

Just installed this.. was sick of my WinOSX Mac theme.

Screenshot here!

And found the last Vista Beta i tried practically unusable (it was a couple of betas back but was a tremendous memory hog). Anyways, install this on XP to get the nice shiny appearance of Vista.

The only problem is it doesn't 2 of my favourite features of Vista on it:

- the collage of screenshots showing the contents in a video folder,
    - and also liked the fact Vista picked a random screenshot in a video to use as it's thumb, rather than XP's standard first frame (which is typically a black screen!)

Anyways, much recommended!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Have a variation on this myself, looks great.

There are others here for your perusal... Ah it's that Crystal Clear one I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,758 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Ooohh.. cheers for that The Gnome. The Crystal XP pack is "teh sex"! :D

Think i'll stick with my Vista theme for now though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Are these things heavy on the cpu/memory? Like is this likely to affect my gaming? They do look funky.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Are these things heavy on the cpu/memory? Like is this likely to affect my gaming? They do look funky.

You stay away from it!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I sugest using this for xp themes: http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=140707
    And then look here for themes: http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showforum=36 and also here http://browse.deviantart.com/customization/skins/windows/visualstyle/

It's basically a cracked version of the file that windows use for themes. Ones cracked you can use any of the visualstyles i linked to instead of the default xp ones. I might be wrong about this but as its a windows component (cracked) i assume it would use up less resources than any 3rd party programs?

Jozi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

You stay away from it!! :p

Haha :D, the voice in my head is saying run away, but the sparkly lights are screaming out bling bling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I used that vista Inspirat theme basquille started the thread about - no difference whatsoever to my games, at least, nothing I noticed. A pretty decent theme though. Reverted back to my old XP style though eventually - got bored of the 'vista' one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

Have you try thisone?

I use this for ages now and have no problem with it, even boot screen is Vista :)

http://www.windowsxlive.net/index.php?id=208

• Registered Users Posts: 8,631 ✭✭✭SeanW

Haha :D, the voice in my head is saying run away, but the sparkly lights are screaming out bling bling.

GO FOR IT man! I have the Vista Inspirat theme myself it kicks tail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The Gnome wrote:
    Have a variation on this myself, looks great.

There are others here for your perusal... Ah it's that Crystal Clear one I have.

Same as me own now, real purteh. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks OP this is very very cool! Absolutely loving it so far, the navabar at the top is excellent.

The only thing is that it has changed some of the find in e.g. firfox and it looks a bit graney, anyone know how to get it back to normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Zascar wrote:
    Thanks OP this is very very cool! Absolutely loving it so far, the navabar at the top is excellent.

The only thing is that it has changed some of the find in e.g. firfox and it looks a bit graney, anyone know how to get it back to normal?

Not sure if its a new shortcut but right click on it properties and navigate to the old shortcut in program files firefox proably.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 43,758 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Zascar wrote:
    Gah... i LOATHE Objectdock myself! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,421 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

So it's basically the Vista non 3d card scheme, which is basically a grey XP...

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

/me goes to download it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

So it's basically the Vista non 3d card scheme, which is basically a grey XP.

Sort of.. more like a silver version of Aero which is the name of the Vista theme.

Windowblinds does a much better imitation of Vista's UI too good in fact Microsoft put the kibosh on KoL one of the more well know skinners Vista themes. You don't have to resort to major DLL hacks either (not talking about uxtheme.dll) and can disable/remove it quickly if need be.

WB can do all the fancy alpha transparency stuff (3D card required) and does it with very little impact on system resources. If you Google around you can still find KoL's themes but I'm sure there have been better clones since then you just wont find a direct copy on Wincustomize.com the main WB portal. Neowin and DeviantART are the places to look.

You can also find themes inspired by Aero like Vista Plus & Delta.

Of course the problem with all this mimicry is that it just looks like Vista on the surface so all the bugs of XP's UI become apparent if you have actually used the real deal (Vista).

More Aero skins here & here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Pah mayaswell. Getting bored of the mac osx skin myself.

The us server must be under huge load, was getting 0.7kbs from it, 240 from the romanian one.

Bloody yanks, cant even get the internet working properly :p

wooo 1500th post

\0/
    \0\
    /0/

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭easy_as_easy

i cant install the top theme, the install just hangs with out any warning screens, anybody else had this trouble

installing now, will let you know.

• Advertisement

Installed fine for me. now problems. Didnt effect boot up times or anything.
    pretty happy so far. Now off to devianart to find a decent background.

hmm having troubles, tried it twice. hung at two different places in the installtion. battlefield 2 just crashed to me thinks something is wrong.

pooh

close down all non essential applications when installing it.

i tried it after a restart. avg and my bluetooth app. were the only things running. ive got dual monitors could that be screwing things up?

meh i give up guess i'll just have to wait till i get vista.

I installed one of them a few days ago, but I can't remember which one it is - it's definately not the one featured in the OP....it's nice though, heres a screenshot of my desktop.

Also - I despise that stardock that was in the Vista Inspirat release - so awful, not to mention bloody annoying.

edit: Never mind, it was the one Striker linked to. Great looking theme though. Love the default see through folders.

holy ****, i fogot the new bsg ep...

Edited :D

Advertisement