Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

dowlingm wrote: »
    I don't doubt there are tourists to be got, but am wary of how many and how accurate estimates of existing usage are. Let us for once underpromise and overdeliver.

Certainly a concentration of greenways (Athenry-Claremorris-Coolloney and shared alignments Claremorris-Westport/Ballina) might bring a scale which allows flights into NOC to offer a choice of destinations for travellers, as opposed to a greenway here and the next one being 100km away.

dowlingm this really is the whole point its not about the standalone sligomayo greenway or the stand alone great western greenway its about offering the potential for a week or two of safe cycling in the West of Ireland unhindered by 8 axel trucks or family vehicles that resemble troop transporters coming round the bend of some wee boreen and wiping you out.

As mentioned in that letter to the Irish Times - provide the SMgreenway and link it with the GWG and you begin to get the prospect of 3 or 4 day cycling breaks on the route, take the route south of Claremorris to Athenry and link it with Galway - and put in the proposed Galway Clifden route and you might start seeing the picture. Put a parallel greenway next to the re-opened southern WRC and connect that with the Great Southern trail and we will begin to compete with our european neighbours in offering long distance leisure touring cycling as an option if we add a dublin to the west route using the old canal banks, disused rail lines and quieter minor roads then you really do have potential to attract touring cyclists from the east coast to come out west on their bikes on a two week holiday. its got huge potential for both domestic and in bound tourism.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/travel/2011/1105/1224307073501.html

is an aricle from the IT last year that I have just stumbled on here is the important extract:
    iRISH TIMES ARTICLE NOVEMBER 5TH 2011

ACTIVITY TOURISM HAS HUGE POTENTIAL BY RONAN MCGREEVY: EXTRACT

Activity tourism is a rapidly growing part of the global tourism market and accounts for €830 million worth of business in Ireland every year with more than 930,000 tourists participating in some activity holiday.

According to the Adventure Tourism Development Index 2010, Ireland was ranked seventh among the top 10 developed countries in the world with the highest adventure tourism potential. However, Ireland does not feature in the top 10 nations in Europe in terms of attracting activity tourists.

Failte Ireland are well aware of this problem, back in 2007 they issued a reprot on cycling in ireland - the opening gambit from that report says it all

THE REPORT WAS CALLED MARCH 2007
    A STRATEGY
    FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF IRISH CYCLE TOURISM
    CONCLUSIONS REPORT
    NEW EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

IT CAN BE DOWNLOADED HERE: anyone who really wants to see the potenta

http://www.failteireland.ie/FailteCorp/media/FailteIreland/documents/Business%20Supports/Tourism%20Sector%20Development/Activities/Cycling_Strategy_2007.pdf

Anyone with any interest in seeing why we just can't get it right - even though the problem has long since been known about - should look at this report. It does have some serious flaws mind you - for one it does not recognise or include the WRC as as potential greenway route - I think had FI insisted on a parellel greenway on the southern WRC we would have seen more bike/rail users on the line - bike one way train the other woudl have been a successful formula.

Not seeing the potential of the SM Greenway in the Failte Ireland report simply shows the lack of imagination in that organisation, however the serious loss of opportunity in not having cycle network is recognised in the report:

THE OPENING COMMENT IN THE REPORT SAYS:
    Cycle tourism is in decline in Ireland. In 2000 the number of overseas participants in cycling stood at 130,000. By 2004 this number had dropped to 85,000 and by 2005 it had fallen by a further 25,000. While there was a very slight increase in cycle tourism numbers in 2006, this increase was less than the increase in walking tourism numbers and the satisfaction ratings for the product continued to decline.
    Cycling on Irish roads is not perceived to be safe – cyclists face dangerous bends, fast cars, intimidating HGVs, more traffic and higher speeds

have a look at the report scroll through it and begin to see what the WRC really should be - a goldmine for irish tourism that will cost very little. If you throw in the potential for high quality fibre optic ducting along the route to help technology based companies in the west of Ireland and you can stop seeing it as a "Railway" and start seeing it as an economic corridor for tourism and technology. In other words a goldmine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I don't doubt there are tourists to be got, but am wary of how many and how accurate estimates of existing usage are. Let us for once underpromise and overdeliver.

Certainly a concentration of greenways (Athenry-Claremorris-Coolloney and shared alignments Claremorris-Westport/Ballina) might bring a scale which allows flights into NOC to offer a choice of destinations for travellers, as opposed to a greenway here and the next one being 100km away.

Try to find figures for the number of foreign nationals who took part in that triathlon in Athy on Saturday and most of those will be doing one triathlon a week as part of a cycling holiday. Cycling is far more popular as a sport and just for recreational travel than people realise. I was in Sligo a few years ago and there was some cycle race on, just some regional event but Sligo was packed, pubs were full as were all the guesthouses as well as the hotels. Many people had travelled from where they were holidaying in Belfast and Dublin and Wicklow to take part. These people have a lot of money to spend and we should be looking at ways of. Giving them something they will use and a slow bumpy train ride is not such a thing.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    . Cycling is far more popular as a sport and just for recreational travel than people realise. .

Failte Ireland realise it - they have realised it since the report they published in
    2007 - and the market research they commissioned in 2006 that told them its in a mess as a product - they have just sat on their backsides doing very little about it - and apart from the GWG and one or two other off track greenway isolated projects - we are no nearer achieving a national cycle network of off road trails and greenways that will attract cycling tourists in in their droves - in the meantime - the rest of Europe, and the UK are marching on developing the infrastructure that is needed. Our friends in WEst on Track once spoke of the thousands of jobs the WRC would create - they were right! It just doesn't need the railway to be put back in place to create those jobs, it doesn't need the millions of euro on infrastructure they are asking for and it doesn't mean creating a drain on the public resources for evermore by putting in a huge loss making and unnecessary railway line - it needs imagination to use the goldmine that is the WRC route for something that is relevant and needed for todays toursim industry. This is the point that west on track never got!

We don't need a network though because these tourists have and will travel great lengths to get to a good cycle path, unlike with the railway the saying "build it and they will come" actually does apply to Greenways.

We don't need a network though because these tourists have and will travel great lengths to get to a good cycle path, unlike with the railway the saying "build it and they will come" actually does apply to Greenways.

Foggy if you build a network it creates far more access points for people to make decisions to get on their bikes and get tired and hungry on their journies. Just take the domestic tourism market - if the network I envisage happens in the west, there is potential for say groups of cyclists from Sligo to get on the SMG cycle for 70k down to kiltimagh - stay there overnight - cycle to say newport - stay there overnight - cyclet to Achill stay there overnight etc etc. B n Bs and hotels could co-operate to provide accomodation packages for people wanting to do certain routes, of for companies to offer bag carrying services from point to point. There are huge marketing opportunities like this, these opportunities will create jobs. If the network has an east west connection - it brings a lot of potential internal tourists to say join the network in the midlands and cycle west for a few days and back. Or for people from our largest domestic market the dublin area to plan a cycle trip to the west. 2 or 3 days to cycle to the west, 2 or 3 days cycling in the west and the train home (ok so the bikes on trains issue needs sorting), so I disagree the aim of a network with as many access points as possible for as many people as possible to use the network - even if its only for an evening stroll or cycle from Tubbercurry to Charlestown - the greenway network is just as much about providing locals with a safe walking and cycling facilities as it is about catering for needs of long distance walkers and cyclist - this is the vision of a cycling greenway network - the sligomayo greenway and using the WRC for this is only part of the whole thing to increase activity tourism in this country; the WRC is a potential economic goldmine for the west - if the opportunity can be grasped to do the right thing with the old alignment and to tie it into a network of greenways - this is what failte ireland, michael ring and the two county councils need to wake up to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

One point there though about B&Bs co-operating etc - there has to be quid pro quo from the private sector. It can't be a case of "build a greenway and we just watch the tourists and their Euros roll in"

One point there though about B&Bs co-operating etc - there has to be quid pro quo from the private sector. It can't be a case of "build a greenway and we just watch the tourists and their Euros roll in"

Dowling a fair point but did West on Track ask businesses in Gort to pay for the white elephant railway?? here's an example of one hotelier iwth a hotel on the route of the sligo mayo greenway who said to me recently if they build the sligo mayo greenway it will mean I can keep 3 or 4 staff on = less dole = more paye and social charges + more sales of VAT attracting items eg food beer soft drinks crisps bottled water. Not to mention the renting of bikes, the purchasing of bikes etc. I think it has to be seen in the context of the economic activity it will generate. If for example the SM greenway created 2 million euro of extra spend between Collooney and Claremorris and that 2 million attracted VAT then you could be looking at 400 k a year extra in VAT payments - if it cost 5 million to do - it pays for itself in 12.5 years - not bad for any public capital project in my book. I know this is back of the envelope stuff but these are the kind of figures the government need to look at ....now how much would the train line cost to build ....and how much tourism revenue would it bring in...and how much would it cost to subvent each year..... this is what I mean about the economics of a greenway project.

I know this is anecdotal but someone I met recently told me turnover in a 7/11 store near the end of the GWG in Achill had increased turnover by €1000 a week as a result of the greenway. It really ain't rocket science is it? Think how much of that extra spend goes back to the government in VAT, this store may employ one extra person as a result of greenway spend - they have to pay the social charges and taxes on wages and they in turn spend their wages in the local economy - it ain't rocket science is it?

westtip wrote: »
    Dowling a fair point but did West on Track ask businesses in Gort to pay for the white elephant railway?? [\QUOTE]First I am no defender of what went on with the Ennis-Athenry line as my posting record shows. Second I'm not saying that the businesses in Mayo should pay for the greenway. However there is a tradition in Ireland that tends against local initiative and instead depends on demanding that the Council or better still Dublin pays for everything.

The greenway operators could say for instance, "we're going to set up stations using refurbished shipping containers every 20km or so to offer refreshments/lavatories etc. together with wayfinding to local shops/hotels/B&Bs but these will only be maintained in locations which, on an ongoing basis, have the majority of such businesses contributing to a fair share of the expense of marketing schemes for the greenway as a whole and if the locality stops paying then the stations go on the back of a lorry for somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭Markcheese

In terms of the net-work of cycle routes, there are bike lanes from cork airport and most of the way from ringaskiddy to cork city , a quick train ride to midleton and a disused rail line to youghal, it'd be great for cork midleton and youghal, and would cost not much more than clearing the scrub and weeds and lifting the rotten sleepers... With a bit more imagination a picturesque more challenging route could get u to dungarvan, and on to Waterford along that disused track ( that could be gone now) from a tourisim point of view all of this could be potential gold mines ..... A little bit extra to keep local shops, pubs , b+bs , restaurants going,a customer stream for small Eco and adventure tourism, a longer tourist season ( think April to oct rather than June to aug )
    We just need to use a bit of imagination and give tourists a reason to come..... A lot of the time the best part of the holiday is the journey.....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Dowling a fair point but did West on Track ask businesses in Gort to pay for the white elephant railway?? [\QUOTE]First I am no defender of what went on with the Ennis-Athenry line as my posting record shows. Second I'm not saying that the businesses in Mayo should pay for the greenway. However there is a tradition in Ireland that tends against local initiative and instead depends on demanding that the Council or better still Dublin pays for everything.

The greenway operators could say for instance, "we're going to set up stations using refurbished shipping containers every 20km or so to offer refreshments/lavatories etc. together with wayfinding to local shops/hotels/B&Bs but these will only be maintained in locations which, on an ongoing basis, have the majority of such businesses contributing to a fair share of the expense of marketing schemes for the greenway as a whole and if the locality stops paying then the stations go on the back of a lorry for somewhere else.

Dowling I wasn't suggesting you supported the Ennis Athenry debacle sorry if you read that into my comment! Yes I know your views on that charade! I agree with what you are saying and yes it would be worth doing the kind of thing you mention -- actually I think your idea is a great way of using the old station buildings. Many of the greenways in the UK have done just that retain some of the railway heritage - maybe there is an opportunity for some lateral thinking on this one - how about co-operatives of unemployed to have the opportunity for small business start ups in these buildings to offer refreshments etc - just thinking out loud -but yes you have made a very valid point.

Markcheese all great points - and if we can tie all these fantastic opportunities into an interconnected network nationally imagine how the cycling tourists would roll in....

• Advertisement

Markcheese the Midleton Youghal stretch would be nice and flat for cycling alright, Youghal-Dungarvan something else entirely! The Dungarvan-Waterford stretch would be interrupted at Kilmeaden but I doubt that would be the end of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I don't think railway gradients will bother cyclists. They will still be less steep than average road gradients.

corktina wrote: »
    I don't think railway gradients will bother cyclists. They will still be less steep than average road gradients.

True but there was never a youghal to dungarvan line.... And the narrowish main road hugs the coast for a bit till it starts going up....but with a little imagination a boat across the backwater estuary and small back roads designated as cycle / walking ways to ardmore and helvick then dungarvan and on ....
    Plus to be fair walkers/hikers and most cyclists don't mind a bit of steepness, the challenge is good....and of course once small towns and community's get the ball rolling, providing facilities for cyclists hikers local info to points of interest scenic spots ect, then u give tourists in general a reason to stop in yr town (to get off the motorway) and spend ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Personally I think every disused rail line,/ Coastal path , mountain road should be made as suitable for tourisim as possible... If done on a budget by local communities who have an interest then it'd be the best return on investment ever...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Personally I think every disused rail line,/ Coastal path , mountain road should be made as suitable for tourisim as possible... If done on a budget by local communities who have an interest then it'd be the best return on investment ever...

mark I agree whole heartedly - and agree about the local community bit - but in part it has to be driven by the responsible Minister as a national strategy - if funds were known to be available to develop say greenways - but communities had to prepare a case and present it to the department we might get more done. On the SMG project - all we constantly get is - it must be driven by the county councils; they have role to play but the lack of drive and committment from councils is what concerns me. If Varadkar was to announce so much was available for each region for such projects - we would be hearing more from local communities - central government is afraid to govern on this issue.

mark I agree whole heartedly - and agree about the local community bit - but in part it has to be driven by the responsible Minister as a national strategy - if funds were known to be available to develop say greenways - but communities had to prepare a case and present it to the department we might get more done. On the SMG project - all we constantly get is - it must be driven by the county councils; they have role to play but the lack of drive and committment from councils is what concerns me. If Varadkar was to announce so much was available for each region for such projects - we would be hearing more from local communities - central government is afraid to govern on this issue.
    Funds don't always have to be available!

I remember estate clean-ups years ago where one person would decide on a good sunny day to get out and sweep up the path and within 10minutes everyone would be out cutting grass trimming verges and generally doing a spring clean!

This is ONLY done now by appointment with the local councils and when Skips are provided for the residents to get rid of their household rubbish for free! Everyone wants something for nothing and they are forgetting how to get it for themselves!

corktina wrote: »
    There is no railway alignment to use between Youghal and Dungarvan so up and down the hills it willl be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

yes i know, I read that bit wrong, sorry.

I would think that a cycle route could go via the Gaeltacht area as the road does indeed rise to quite a (very scenic ) height outside Dungarvan, it would stay off the main road that way too largely.

Funds don't always have to be available!

Everyone wants something for nothing and they are forgetting how to get it for themselves!

foggy i get your point - but this greenway network I harp on about would be part of the national infrastucture for tourism - I can't for the like of me see why this shouldn't be planned and executed from a national basis. With local input on routes etc. We all seem to agree there is an opportunity out there for a network to contribute to the tourist industry - why just because it is a footpath/cycleway and leisure facility does it have to be driven by hundreds of separate local campaigns. this will just painfully extrapolate the decision making and implementation process. Varadkar told me it had to be driven locally - but this will be piecemeal, bit of a greenway here a bit there etc - For once can't central government just say - this is a good idea for tourism it won't cost much in real terms - lets get on with it. Take the WRC for example - suppose a local group push for it from say Charlestown to Tubbercurry but nobody does anythin else on the line, do we have to sit and wait for the next local group to link up with the next local group etc - Why can't central govt just say - this is going to happen and this is the impact we think it will have.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Personally I think every disused rail line should be made as suitable for tourisim as possible...
    absolutely, could you imagine the kind of greenway network we could have had if all the closed lines routes had been protected? it would be a gold mine. but no, CIE put in the abandonment orders and left others to the squatters and now a lot has been lost or could be lost if government doesn't get their act together on this issue, yes the people have their part to play.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Advertisement

foggy i get your point -

And I get completly what your point is and agree with it, but I also feel that if small villages and even larger villages and towns got their community spirit in gear the "power of the people" literally will shift a lot more gravel and tarmac onto a greenway than a train load of disinterested stagnating impotent politicians.

If localities however small can create a few miles of cyclepath in areas of local beauty or local/national interest then this will be more valuable an asset than a hundred miles of boring railway allignlent. but all these local sites will need joining up and this is where the old railways are perfect!

more media coverage today - letter by john mulligan in The Irish Times -

http://www.irishtimes.com/letters/index.html#1224317295278

– Your Editorial (May 23rd) celebrates the return of the bicycle.

We are straggling behind the rest of Europe when it comes to cycling tourism. Our 100 or so kilometres of cycle trails pale into insignificance when compared to that of just one German province: North Rhine Westphalia boasts almost 8,000 kilometres of trails and cycle paths. The Mayo Greenway will keep a visitor happy for a day at most, but it will never form the basis of a one- or two-week holiday product. It needs to be massively extended to include disused railway lines all over Mayo and Sligo before we can even begin to compete, but pro-rail lobbyists have managed to block this from ever happening, and the tourists flock to countries with cycling facilities.

A Fáilte Ireland report of 2006 identified the deficit in our cycling tourism business, but despite the exponential growth of this market segment elsewhere, we have not addressed the issue in Ireland, and there are no plans to do so any time soon. – Yours, etc,

JOHN MULLIGAN,

Kiltycreighton,

Boyle,

Co Roscommon.

plus a fantastic two page spread article in the Farming independent supplement on pages 16 and 17 - not yet up on indo website but take a look if you have the paper today - when it comes up on line will post it up. Its a dyanamite article not just about the Sligo Mayo Greenway on the WRC route but a look at the much bigger picture ....read it and you will see what I mean!

john mulligan was on midwest radio talkign about the Sligo mayo greenway and other greenway project today - you can listen to what he had to say here:

http://www.midwestradio.ie/mwr/podcasts.html scroll down to the Tommy marren show podcasts. can we post up a podcast on boards I don't know????!!

Should we have a greenway / cycleway hiking way thread ? Our suggestions for routes and how to get them built / cleared / mapped and not just end up in a beuraucratic swamp of local authority/ dep of environment tennis.... Where all the money goes on feasibility studies,health and safety reports dodgy contracts and small gold plated projects that don't benefit communities/ business .....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭what_traffic

@ Markcheese
    Here is one Community based Greenway project underway here in Galway City/County(its on the boundary) - good blog of this
    http://brenspeedie.blogspot.de/2012/05/exciting-new-community-based-greensways.html

thats a great blog and project - its amazing what people can do unfettered by politicians.

Should we have a greenway / cycleway hiking way thread ? Our suggestions for routes and how to get them built / cleared / mapped and not just end up in a beuraucratic swamp of local authority/ dep of environment tennis.... Where all the money goes on feasibility studies,health and safety reports dodgy contracts and small gold plated projects that don't benefit communities/ business .....

Maybe we shoudl be we should keep the western rail corridor thread going - as the discussion as to whether it should in fact become a greenway instead of even contemplating a railway at this stage is now central to the debate on the whole WRC alignment. T

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

Southern Trail News...
    MIDSUMMER WALK 2012 - GREAT SOUTHERN TRAIL

On Saturday 16th June 2012 the second annual 22 mile [35 Km] MIDSUMMER "BIG WALK" will commence from Rathkeale [Palatine Museum 10.30 a.m.] and travel the route of the old railway to Abbeyfeale.

The walk schedule is as follows:

10.30am: Depart Rathkeale [Palatine Museum]:0 miles
    12.15pm: Ardagh [Old Station]: 5 miles
    1pm:Arrive Newcastle West [Old Station, Bishop Court, Town Centre]: 8 miles
    2pm: Depart Newcastle West after break for lunch
    4pm: Barnagh (highest point on the GST): 14miles
    5.15pm: Picturesque Tullig Wood, Templeglantine: 18miles
    5.30pm: Devon Road Station;19 miles
    6.30pm:Arrive Abbeyfeale: Refreshments and Presentation of Certificates to those who complete the entire 22miles.

Bus Éireann connections with the walk at Rathkeale are from Limerick (9.35am), Adare(9.55am), Tralee (9am), Listowel (9.30am), Abbeyfeale (9.55am) and Newcastle West (10.15am).

Return Bus Éireann services from Abbeyfeale to Limerick(6.55pm and 7.55pm) and to Tralee(6.40pm and 8.40pm). Those using their own transport can park at Rathkeale; the GST will provide complimentary return transport to Rathkeale at 7.30 pm.
    All who complete the entire route on foot will receive a Certificate on condition that they have registered in writing in advance. The registration fee is €10 per person (irrespective of age) and should reach Liam O' Mahony, 9 Bishop St., Newcastle West, Co. Limerick by Monday 11th June. Last year 36 people completed the 22 miles. Those intending the full walk are advised to bring along adequate food/water for the eight hours.
    Of course anyone who wishes to walk or cycle a portion of the route is welcome to join in at any stage along the way. Bí linn agus bain taitneamh as an lá! DENIS MC AULIFFE VICE CHAIR SOUTHERN TRAIL..0872030535...

BTW just as a matter of interest how are the passenger numbers these days on WRC southern branch line????

any improvements since Primetime ripped the facade apart and exposed it for the failure it is???

Not seen much WOT activity on how it is going to transform the economy of the west recently?
    Whatever happened to WOT??

@ Markcheese
    Here is one Community based Greenway project underway here in Galway City/County(its on the boundary) - good blog of this
    http://brenspeedie.blogspot.de/2012/05/exciting-new-community-based-greensways.html

Wooh -whoo, that is impressive !!!! The more of it the better... There's a group near me trying to re-open / open a 12 km Coastal path to ballycotton ...( And genuinely health and safety is the issue, farmers worried about being sued )
    For the former rail lines, a bit of finance even if just to lift the rails/sleepers and a bit of political clout at ministerial level to grease the wheels with Irish rail and local authorities would be nice....might even contact my local TD... But I don't want a hole filled or dug,so might be pointless ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Wooh -whoo, that is impressive !!!! The more of it the better... There's a group near me trying to re-open / open a 12 km Coastal path to ballycotton ...( And genuinely health and safety is the issue, farmers worried about being sued )
    For the former rail lines, a bit of finance even if just to lift the rails/sleepers and a bit of political clout at ministerial level to grease the wheels with Irish rail and local authorities would be nice....might even contact my local TD... But I don't want a hole filled or dug,so might be pointless ....

No it's not pointless - I bet your local TD knows what a success the Great Western Greenway has been, even down there in Ballycotton. It has got huge national coverage. One has to keep selling the merits to both local and national politicians, its cheap and the payback for them is quick. Return on Invest on the Great Western Greenway has been so quick they where planning its extension straight after phase 1 completion. Key is to make a start - even if its just a few KM stretch on quite rural/bog roads either side of a line, put up a few waymarked signs and then suggest that to join them up need to use the disused railway line in between etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement