Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

realweirdo wrote: »
    Ah look. AOS is an outstanding player.

And in all fairness he was concussed for most of the game and was also off as a blood sub for something like 10 minutes.

One average game due mainly to what I just said and suddenly he should be "taken off a pedestal". Get real. For setting up the goal alone he was worth his place on the team.

Any team in the country would be glad to have him, Kerry included.

Outstanding player but would he make Kerry, Dublin or Donegal teams right now.? simple answer, NO.
    For me, only Boyle, Higgins, C.O.C. and S.O.S. would make the other 'big 3' at this point in time.
    In fact I would have S.O.S. yards ahead of his brother as he is a much better team player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

I also forgot to mention O'Shea got polaxed after releasing the ball to COC for the goal. One of the dirtiest tackles I have seen in a long time. Reminded me of the tackle on Mickey Ned Sullivan by two Dublin men in the 1970s. How O'Shea got up from that I'll never know. How Enright didn't get a straight red equally.

washman3 wrote: »
    In fact I would have S.O.S. yards ahead of his brother as he is a much better team player.

Again, another joke. He set up COC for a goal and took a massive hit for the team in the process. Clearly you only watch Mayo the odd time. Right, that's it not going to take any of your further posts seriously.

I for one wasn't celebrating 4 consecutive titles in Connacht. However, we aren't talking about 1 Connacht title, we are talking about a four in a row of provincial titles which even Kerry haven't managed in a while so get off your high horse. I know Connacht doesn't mean much but it does mean something. Did Kerry celebrate winning Munster this year? G'wan yee did, didn't yee.

And as for celebrating, you'd swear Kerry won the AI the way they celebrated Saturday. Pitch invasions and everything. My understanding was AOS was concussed. Your posts are a bit laughable to be honest. Kerry have won nothing yet.

I attended as a neutral as the game was walking distance from me.;)
    But I roared my head off for Mayo as I wanted them to go all the way, and have for years. And I hope Donegal win the final now.
    Munster means very little to Kerry now, they just go thru the motions TBH, same as they do for the league. They might 'celebrate' for 30 mins on the pitch but that's it, for the players anyway.! supporters may be different.

I also forgot to mention O'Shea got polaxed after releasing the ball to COC for the goal. One of the dirtiest tackles I have seen in a long time. Reminded me of the tackle on Mickey Ned Sullivan by two Dublin men in the 1970s. How O'Shea got up from that I'll never know. How Enright didn't get a straight red equally.

If you read mine I mentioned it already..!!
    Enright took him out, should have walked and Mayo would most likely have won. Disgraceful decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

AOS was not concussed, this has been confirmed.
    He simply did not recover from the first game, which doesn't say much for Mayo's S and C regime. Boyle was in the same boat.

The sooner Connacht gets competitive again the better.
    People on here celebrating 3/4 consecutive titles. As it stands now a Connacht medal holds the same value as a McGrath Cup medal would for Kerry/Cork.

AOS or COC may not have been concussed but they were most certainly both fücked after their collision.

Happened right in front of me. Neither looked right afterwards, nevermind the bloody mess it caused. AOS was caught in no man's land so much it wasn't even funny when he returned. The difference was so stark before and after to put it down to conditioning is faintly ridiculous. That one collision probably cost Mayo the match.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

He simply did not recover from the first game, which doesn't say much for Mayo's S and C regime. Boyle was in the same boat.

People on here celebrating 3/4 consecutive titles. As it stands now a Connacht medal holds the same value as a McGrath Cup medal would for Kerry/Cork.

Sorry horseen but he was, confirmed by the man himself.
    As for celebrating Connacht 4 in a row..... where did this come out of?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

yop wrote: »
    Sorry horseen but he was, confirmed by the man himself.
    As for celebrating Connacht 4 in a row..... where did this come out of?

I've been saying since the incident happened that I'll be AMAZED if he was not concussed. He came in for a lot of "treatment" from Kerry again (yes I'm aware it was clash of heads with Cillian that did the most damage ). Got damn all frees despite having lads HANGING off him

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

If what happened to AOS and COC on that field happened in a game of soccer in the Premier League, they would have been rushed to hospital. It was a huge collission, it takes a lot to keep Aidan on the ground and even then he was up fast enough. He is the ultimate warrior, and although he does over-carry the ball in my opinion, he would walk onto any team in the country, Dublin included.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,991 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Your totally oblivious to what winning a provincial championship means in this day and age.

For serious teams winning their province is essential for two reasons.

1. It means that you know exactly when and where you will be playing your next game and you can prepare accordingly.
    2. It means you avoid the other big guns in the competition at the QF stage.
    Put it this way, do you think Monaghan would have preferred to play Dublin or Armagh in the QF this year?

Since 2011 only one provincial champion has lost a QF.
    That's not a coincidence

• Advertisement

jibber5000 wrote: »
    One name I have not seen mentioned who I really feel would be the best man for the job is Rory Gallagher..He's currently managing Kilcar in Donegal and had them in unbelievable shape with super tactics when they won the Comortas Peile na Gaeltachta in June on TG4..He was McGuinness's right hand man for the all ireland and had massive respect from the players..I feel he is the type of manager who would really endere himself with the Mayo players as a young energetic ambitous person..Crucially I feel he would have no preconceptions of some of the Mayo team something which I feel both McStay and McHale have of some current Mayo players..I really believe he would place us in the best position to win Sam over the next few years

Before I'd consider Gallagher I'd like to see him manage a county team (did he manage Fermanagh at one stage, how did he get on ?)

I'd like to see him separated from McGuinness at that level to really judge him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Squatman

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Before I'd consider Gallagher I'd like to see him manage a county team (did he manage Fermanagh at one stage, how did he get on ?)

I'd like to see him separated from McGuinness at that level to really judge him.

As far as I know Gallagher has never managed any team. He's more of a coach/assistant. He's managing Kilcar alongside McHugh and coached the county under 21's alongside Maxi Curran.

I'd say he has a great tactical skills and huge knowledge of the game and would be a benefit to any set up, I wouldn't be sure as a manager on his own.

lmao, that video is brilliant Squatman! :-)

Your totally oblivious to what winning a provincial championship means in this day and age.

For serious teams winning their province is essential for two reasons.

1. It means that you know exactly when and where you will be playing your next game and you can prepare accordingly.
    2. It means you avoid the other big guns in the competition at the QF stage.
    Put it this way, do you think Monaghan would have preferred to play Dublin or Armagh in the QF this year?

Since 2011 only one provincial champion has lost a QF.
    That's not a coincidence

Afraid its you bud that's missing the point.!!
    Like comparing apples and oranges when you compare Monaghan in Ulster with Mayo in Connacht. Ulster is seriously competitive. McGuinness celebrated wildly after the Ulster final as was 100% confident he would beat anything that came through the qualifiers and play Dublin. His plan was totally focused on Dublin and did it pay off.?? His team were battle hardened after leaving Ulster, everything after that was sitting down to focussing on Dublin's weak points and how to exploit them.
    Contrast this with Connacht, Mayo struggled with a meek Roscommon and a Galway side still in the early/mid stages of development. Connacht at this point in time is a dead duck and very poor preparation for Mayo. Proof of this was the lack of a plan for Donaghy.
    Mayo were not battle hardened, an average Cork team exposed this and when both games V Kerry were in the melting pot, Mayo bottled it.
    Just saying its not all their fault, its the system as it stands, whereby some fans are deluded into thinking that winning Connacht is ideal preparation for what lies ahead.

lorenzo87 wrote: »
    If what happened to AOS and COC on that field happened in a game of soccer in the Premier League, they would have been rushed to hospital. It was a huge collission, it takes a lot to keep Aidan on the ground and even then he was up fast enough. He is the ultimate warrior, and although he does over-carry the ball in my opinion, he would walk onto any team in the country, Dublin included.

But we're not playing premiership soccer, we're playing Gaelic Football.
    Cant compare these guys and the pussycats/cheats that play that.
    He is not up there with Kerry's Moran,McCauley/McCarthy, any of the Donegal 'big 4'
    Much the same way as James Horan is not up there with the likes of McGuinness,Fitzmaurice,Gavin,Jack O'Connor etc., if you get my drift.

Afraid its you bud that's missing the point.!!
    Like comparing apples and oranges when you compare Monaghan in Ulster with Mayo in Connacht. Ulster is seriously competitive. McGuinness celebrated wildly after the Ulster final as was 100% confident he would beat anything that came through the qualifiers and play Dublin. His plan was totally focused on Dublin and did it pay off.?? His team were battle hardened after leaving Ulster, everything after that was sitting down to focussing on Dublin's weak points and how to exploit them.
    Contrast this with Connacht, Mayo struggled with a meek Roscommon and a Galway side still in the early/mid stages of development. Connacht at this point in time is a dead duck and very poor preparation for Mayo. Proof of this was the lack of a plan for Donaghy.
    Mayo were not battle hardened, an average Cork team exposed this and when both games V Kerry were in the melting pot, Mayo bottled it.
    Just saying its not all their fault, its the system as it stands, whereby some fans are deluded into thinking that winning Connacht is ideal preparation for what lies ahead.

My point is that people like to overlook the value of provincial title. Suggesting they are no longer valuable to teams anymore, when in fact the opposite is true.
    A Connaught championship is worth the same to Mayo as a Munster title is worth to Kerry.
    It sets them up for the AI Series.

Do you think Kerry would have preferred to meet Kildare or Donegal in the 2012 QF ?

Oh and Mayo beat Galway pretty handy this year,they did not struggle ad you suggested.

But we're not playing premiership soccer, we're playing Gaelic Football.
    Cant compare these guys and the pussycats/cheats that play that.
    He is not up there with Kerry's Moran,McCauley/McCarthy, any of the Donegal 'big 4'
    Much the same way as James Horan is not up there with the likes of McGuinness,Fitzmaurice,Gavin,Jack O'Connor etc., if you get my drift.

Horan not up there with Fitzmaurice? Who only has 1 provincial to his name? Ah right. :confused: Sorry, you don't have a solitary clue about football if you think Horan is not a brilliant manager, and I am a Limerick man so am completely neutral.

A provincial title in Connaught is the same as winning one in Ulster.
    They are never easy to win, as Roscommon showed Mayo. I'd go as far to say that Connaught is more difficult to win than Munster in the football. Leinster is horrendously bad too, the standard is shocking given the amount of counties in the province.

I personally think the Provincials should not be linked to the All-Ireland, a new system has to be designed, because the current back door system has sucked the life out of the provincial titles. If you lose, it doesn't matter, because you are still in the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Horan not up there with Fitzmaurice? Who only has 1 provincial to his name? Ah right. :confused: Sorry, you don't have a solitary clue about football if you think Horan is not a brilliant manager, and I am a Limerick man so am completely neutral.

Two provincials.

• Advertisement

I really hope Kevin McStay is the next manager. He's proven as a manager at least at club level as James Horan was before him. And his analysis of games is second to none. An intelligent insightful man, and he'd make a good tactician which is what we really want now more than ever. The team has all the ingredients but is missing some tactical knowhow of the type Jim McGuinness and Eamon Fitzmaurice have and Jim Gavin had last year.

As Donegal showed against Dublin, you don't need a team of individual superstars, just a team that sticks to a well crafted gameplan and has a way to deal with what their opponents throw at them. Footballing wise Mayo have been the equal of any the last few years. It's the tactics that let them down.

This is Mayo however and the most suitable candidate doesn't always get the job. I'm a bit worried about some of the connections Holmes has on the County Board which might give him an edge. In my view Holmes was an average manager when he managed Mayo and apart from a National League which is a second rate tournament did little more.

http://www.westernpeople.com/2014/09/02/mcstay-and-holmes-front-runners-to-replace-horan/

McStay more than deserves to be given his chance. Let's hope the Mayo Board get this right, pick the best candidate and not the candidate who has the right connections.

A provincial title in Connaught is the same as winning one in Ulster.
    They are never easy to win, as Roscommon showed Mayo. I'd go as far to say that Connaught is more difficult to win than Munster in the football. Leinster is horrendously bad too, the standard is shocking given the amount of counties in the province.

I personally think the Provincials should not be linked to the All-Ireland, a new system has to be designed, because the current back door system has sucked the life out of the provincial titles. If you lose, it doesn't matter, because you are still in the championship.

This is not the case.
    Since Cork won in 2010 via the back door only one back door team has got to even a SF.

Serious teams win their provinces for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

Its very hard to come through the back door these days. You can be playing 3 or 4 weeks in a row and then meet a provincial winner in the QFs with sometimes only a week turnaround. Granted Cork went close this year as did Armagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

donie Buckley gone to Kerry u,21s from next season apparently
    big blow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It does matter, because if you win it, you are guaranteed to avoid one of the other provincial winners in the quarter finals. The provincial set up does need to be tweaked though. Having provinces of 12, 9, 6 & 5 makes it ridiculously lopsided.

km79 wrote: »
    donie Buckley gone to Kerry u,21s from next season apparently
    big blow

Yep, but it was as always on the cards.
    Hopefully the others in the backroom and the players learned from him while he was involved

He's there 2 years and has 2 provincial titles. He doesn't do bluff and bluster like some other managers. Just look at the hoe he conducted himself all last week after the drawn game in Croker. Not a bad word from him, just got on with the job of getting his team in even better shape. Genuine nice guy too.
    I'm also neutral and from Limerick and incidentally cannot recall a single post from you on the Limerick Gaa forum, or at least a constructive one anyway.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

holmes has ruled himself out from the running , he doesnt have the time according to a quote in the mayo news.

The rumour the senior players dont like mcstay is incorrect, its who he will bring in on his coaching staff that might be a problem.

He's there 2 years and has 2 provincial titles. He doesn't do bluff and bluster like some other managers. Just look at the hoe he conducted himself all last week after the drawn game in Croker. Not a bad word from him, just got on with the job of getting his team in even better shape. Genuine nice guy too.
    I'm also neutral and from Limerick and incidentally cannot recall a single post from you on the Limerick Gaa forum, or at least a constructive one anyway.!!

That's because I am on the Limerick Senior football panel, I don't need to air my opinions in there. ;)

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    holmes has ruled himself out from the running , he doesnt have the time according to a quote in the mayo news.

The rumour the senior players dont like mcstay is incorrect, its who he will bring in on his coaching staff that might be a problem.

Well that has to be the way clear for McStay so.

It's a 3 year project for any manager who comes in anyways. The first year will be a case of getting to know the players and vice versa. I know they know each other well at the moment, but it will be in terms of style of play.

I know Buckley is gone, but these players shouldn't struggle with fitness or conditioning and are familar with the Buckley methods anyways.

What is needed is a tactically astute manager. And a full back who can deal with the high ball into the big man, something that has cost us over recent years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement