Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Wallace to retire

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

I was already having a bad day, gutted to come on here and hear about this. What an absolute legend of the game and such a shame to see another player forced into retirement through injury. Wish him all the best with whatever he does after rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

twinytwo wrote: »
    i believe it was kidney that said, that wallace was the ony player he had ever seen who got fitter and stronger as he got older.

It was true though!

I wish him the best in whatever he does next, incredible player for Munster & Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

I was genuinely upset when this news broke today. I suppose we all knew it was on the cards but it doesn't make it easier to take... My interest in playing/watching rugby coincided with the beginning of Wallaces career & he has long since been a favourite of mine. Never brash or arrogant, no controversial interviews, no bullsh*t, just 100% commitment each and every day.
    Had the pleasure of a pint with him in Kilkenny recently and he is every but the gentleman you would expect.

Best of luck Wally, a true Munster & Irish legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Super player...........the rest of the family weren't bad either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Fantastic player, best of luck to him in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I just have memories of Wally running into what we now call "choke tackles" and literally thrashing furiously to break through, he didn't look for space, he created it. And he had the pace to use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Absolutely incredible player and its a great shame that he had a couple of seasons cut from the twilight of his career.

I won't be able to do him justice, but I will say that he has been criminally underrated during his career and it is only recently that we've realised how good a player he really is. He would have seamlessly slotted into any backrow in the world in his prime, but he was wrongly never rated as an equal to BOD/POC/ROG.

A player of his sheer power and pace doesn't come around very often, and it'll take a long time before we can replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

My favourite ever Munster player. Best of luck to him.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭fitz

Absolutely incredible player and its a great shame that he a couple of seasons cut from the twilight of his career.

I won't be able to do him justice, but I will say that he has been criminally underrated during his career and it is only recently that we've realised how good a player he really is. He would have seamlessly slotted into any backrow in the world in his prime, but he was wrongly never rated as an equal to BOD/POC/ROG.

A player of his sheer power and pace doesn't come around very often, and it'll take a long time before we can replace it.

Some great examples there of what I love about him as a player: just when you think the tackle has stopped him, he breaks out of it, or just powers on, or finds a gap. I don't think there are many players who were ever able to make as much ground as Wally after a tackle came in. Just astonishing.

My wife asked that I also point out that he's f*cking gorgeous.... That is all....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Benny Cake wrote: »
    My wife asked that I also point out that he's f*cking gorgeous.... That is all....

That was the consensus in the office today....,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Annabella1 wrote: »
    Super player...........the rest of the family weren't bad either!
    Any other family able to claim three brothers who are internationals, I mean other the Tuilagis there can't me many more out there. Is there any kids in the Wallace family likely to run out at a professional level?

Any other family able to claim three brothers who are internationals, I mean other the Tuilagis there can't me many more out there. Is there any kids in the Wallace family likely to run out at a professional level?

All 3 played for the Lions in fact...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

And Richard is Ireland's all time leader in tries scored!

At sevens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Any other family able to claim three brothers who are internationals, I mean other the Tuilagis there can't me many more out there.

The Ella brothers (Gary, Glen and Mark) all played for Australia in the early 80s. Don't think any more than two of them shared the pitch at the same time but all of them were capped in the same season, I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Ligind, hell of a player, he had pace, strength, good hands and a nice step
    Didnt seem to have many off days either

Benny Cake wrote: »
    durkadurka wrote: »
    That was the consensus in the office today....,

Id shag him and Im not even that way inclined

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Of course there's the Tuilagis.

Manu, Freddy, Andy, Vavae, Henry and Alessano are all capped, just not all for the same country!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

And Richard is Ireland's all time leader in tries scored!

At sevens
    Really I thought he was only the all time leader in tries scored in the 7s RWC not overall 7s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Absolutely incredible player and its a great shame that he had a couple of seasons cut from the twilight of his career.

The handoff at 1:20 is actually Buckley, it was on simon shaw against Wasps in 07, one of my favourite clips, searched for it many times but it isnt on rugbydump anymore. Favourite Wallace try is the one against Clermont at Thomond a few years back, ran into a wall of Clermont defenders 5 yards out and still made the line. Best season was 08/09 IMO, he was unstoppable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Always think of this, and williams is no slouch!

Good luck to wally, top class in his day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Watching the video makes me feel sad we'll never see that again. Wally making yards and scoring tries with players hanging off him is one of my favourite sights in rugby.

And he didn't even get a last World Cup or a last shot at a Heineken Cup final :(

I feel sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Everything a buddy rugby player should aim to be. Will be sadly missed. No doubt he will do well in whatever career he chooses to pursue.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

SomeFool wrote: »
    Always think of this, and williams is no slouch!

Good luck to wally, top class in his day!

my memory may be flawed

but I recall him being second only to Hickey for pace back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

I was gutted for him when he was injured in the England game pre-RWC.

Fantastic player, loved watching him play for Ireland and dreaded seeing him on teamsheets for games against Leinster.

Best of luck in the future.

I'll never forget that game, he went down right in front of where I was sitting. It was obvious straight away something was really wrong.

Best of luck in the future +1

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

I heard about this on the radio earlier today and i was genuinely sad.

Wally was always an inspiration to me not only because he was such a great player, but also the way he carried himself. He always gave 100% and was a gentleman.

It's such a shame his career had to end the way it did.

One of the true legends of Irish rugby.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Wish him all the best. Quality quality player. Sad to see him have to retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I hope he has a great retirement. A genuine Irish legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

Not just a fantastic player, an absolute gentleman. In all his years playing I don't remember any incidents of niggle, or bad tackling etc.

That clip of him chasing down Shane Williams is one of my favourite rugby videos of all time. He did it without breaking a sweat, made the tackle, dragged him to the touchline and was back on his feet instantly, ready to get the next guy.

Hero

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

One of my all time favourite Irish players.

All said before - pace, strength, rugby brain....Legend!

Was guuted for years waiting for him to be called up to the Irish team...then when he did the impact was immense!!

Thank you David Wallace!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

A great player, never needed to get involved in stupid niggly stuff that a lot of aging back-rowers get up to as their physical powers wane, he could stilll rely on his power and pace.

It's a shame he only got to play in one World Cup, but when you look back at the 2003 squad, the back-rows were Miller, Costello, Gleeson, Easterby, Foley and Quinlan. We have some conveyor of back-row forwards.

Advertisement