Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be more sad if your child was a bully or was being bullied?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I am sick and tired of my children having had the following drummed into them in creche and primary school - if another child hits you, do not hit back, tell your teacher what happened.

I just want them to stand up for themselves and defend and if necessary hit back.

I've always told my kids to hop any child's head off the floor if they dare try to bully or hit them...
    They know I'll have their back if teachers made an issue out of them standing up for themselves but luckily they've never had to do this yet:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

What if he tells the teacher, but the teacher blames him, or dismisses what he says? This is common enough - they just dont want the hassle. Or what if the action he takes to change things ends up making things worse? Like if he told his parents and they blamed him for it, or thought less of him. He's a child. He doesn't have a highly developed idea of how things work yet. He learns from what he experiences.

Vocal responses tend to be the strongest defences against most forms of victimisation - especially when you become an adult. Believe me if you're a 6'4 professional boxer, you risk making things a hell of a lot worse for yourself if you use your physical attributes to defend yourself. Especially if your verbal/social skills are not so well developed.

Your sort of attitude would encourage a child to keep quiet about the bullying, rather than to take appropriate action about it. It is likely to cause the very behaviour that you criticise.

What if he tells the teacher, but the teacher blames him, or dismisses what he says?

I'm afraid I'm not following your reasoning.

I'm saying that:
    1.) Bullying can't continue unless the victim *continues* to allow it by indifference or inaction.

2.) I'd be more disappointed in my child for allowing someone to continually bully him, than I would for him bullying someone else.

I don't see how emphasizing the importance of doing SOMETHING (even a misguided something) when faced with injustice is going to lead a child to NOT take action.

If a parent emphasizes the importance of being 'tough' - certainly, I could see how a child who is bullied would feel he/she has failed in 'being tough' and would want to avoid telling anyone. But I'm taking the opposite stance. It's okay, normal, even expected, that someone else is going to be in a position to take advantage of/wrong you/bully you. There is nothing anyone can do to change that.

The only choice a victim has is how to respond to the injustice.

To put it differently; both the bully and the victim know something wrong is going down. The bully is allowing injustice to continue because it benefits him and because he is in a position of power. The victim is allowing injustice to continue because....he's afraid....he's indifferent....he'd rather ignore his problems than face them....something.

Both of them are in the wrong.

But the underlying traits that the bully is exhibiting aren't bad, in themselves. The execution is bad. I'd be ashamed at my child for being a bully, and I'd take actions to remedy the situation. But I'd more more ashamed at my child for exhibiting the traits that allow a bully to continue to bully them. Whether it be fear, or apathy, or whatever else.

I absolutely wouldn't care if my child is physically weaker than someone else. Everyone is physically weaker than someone else.

Neither situation is good. But I do feel one is worse than the other. That's the whole point of this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Robdude wrote: »
    What if he tells the teacher, but the teacher blames him, or dismisses what he says?

I'm afraid I'm not following your reasoning.

I'm saying that:
    1.) Bullying can't continue unless the victim *continues* to allow it by indifference or inaction.

2.) I'd be more disappointed in my child for allowing someone to continually bully him, than I would for him bullying someone else.

I don't see how emphasizing the importance of doing SOMETHING (even a misguided something) when faced with injustice is going to lead a child to NOT take action.

If a parent emphasizes the importance of being 'tough' - certainly, I could see how a child who is bullied would feel he/she has failed in 'being tough' and would want to avoid telling anyone. But I'm taking the opposite stance. It's okay, normal, even expected, that someone else is going to be in a position to take advantage of/wrong you/bully you. There is nothing anyone can do to change that.

The only choice a victim has is how to respond to the injustice.

To put it differently; both the bully and the victim know something wrong is going down. The bully is allowing injustice to continue because it benefits him and because he is in a position of power. The victim is allowing injustice to continue because....he's afraid....he's indifferent....he'd rather ignore his problems than face them....something.

Both of them are in the wrong.

But the underlying traits that the bully is exhibiting aren't bad, in themselves. The execution is bad. I'd be ashamed at my child for being a bully, and I'd take actions to remedy the situation. But I'd more more ashamed at my child for exhibiting the traits that allow a bully to continue to bully them. Whether it be fear, or apathy, or whatever else.

I absolutely wouldn't care if my child is physically weaker than someone else. Everyone is physically weaker than someone else.

Neither situation is good. But I do feel one is worse than the other. That's the whole point of this thread.
    My reasoning is that kids learn from their experiences. So if he tries to address the situation and experiences a negative response, then he might learn not to address the situation.

I dont need the long explanation of your PoV. I already understand what you mean (and I've indicated that clearly tbh). I just disagree with it. I think you're applying adult standards to a child, wrt the victim's possible participation in the bullying.

I strongly disagree with you when you say the traits a bully exhibits aren't bad per sé.

Anyway I'll leave off this debate. You're just repeating yourself and not really trying to get what I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Bullchomper

I may be delusional but I can't recall ever being bullied or bullying anyone else. If I was ever picked on it went straight over my head. From what I have seen, a bully and a person who is bullied are one and the same. A bully needs to exert power and belittle someone to overcome their insecurity and a 'victim' of bullying endures the abuse because of their insecurity. I do not think bullying is a sign of a leader, or being bullied is a sign of a sheep. The most successful people I know are diplomatic and respectful and they know how to get the best out of people. I don't have kids but if I did and I found out they were either of these, I would give them lessons on how to deal with people properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Having been bullied myself I would be devastated if it happened to my child.

I would be even more devastated to think my child was the bully. And I would be ashamed to think I raised such a child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Wattle wrote: »
    If you met the parents of the child that your son or daughter is bullying would you say this to their face?

Also say his own child was being bullied and he met the parents of his childs bully would he still say he doesnt mind children bullying? I think not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

I'd be so sad if my child was being bullied of course, but I'd be raging with them if they ever bullied anyone. Just not on.

Robdude wrote: »
    I'm not saying bullying is a good thing; it isn't. But there are some underlying traits you find in bullies and in those who get bullied.

I'd much rather have a bully for a son than someone who is getting bullied.

Anyone can get into a fight and lose. I'm not talking about that. But when someone is continuously bullied without taking action, that is a reflection on them as well.

The bully, even though I don't support his actions, he has a lot of positive traits he's just not using appropriately. He might be bigger/stronger than other kids. He might be a natural leader. He might have a stronger personality. Those can all be good, positive things, that lead to a life-long success.

The kid being bullied, well, I'm not saying they are doomed to failure; but the traits they are exhibiting aren't good ones.

Clearly you have never been forced to endure being bullied.

In no way are the actions of a bully to be admired. If you think that then you need to have a good hard look at yourself. Bullies are cowards, nothing more, nothing less.

I have been bullied and it is not simply a matter of telling the bully to stop or standing up for yourself.

I can't adequetly put into words how it feels to have some-one constantly chipping away at your confidence and undermining you. Standing up to them seems like the hardest thing in the world to do, not because you have not got the will or desire to so, but because you are fearful of the recriminations if you do.

But as I am guessing you've never been in that position I would not expect you to understand

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

If my child was being bullied I would encourage him/her to fight back as best they can and use whatever means they could. No point telling teachers or speaking to others parents, the only language a bully understands is violence. It's the only way it would stop.

I was both bullied at school, and a bully.
    There was an ingrained culture of bullying at my school right from the teachers down to the pupils.
    Bullying was seen as a way of toughening children up, and admired by the teachers as natural leadership and strength of character.
    I was taught to fight back by my father, and when I was bullied I did so myself.
    I then in turn became a bully, and learned about racketeering and intimidation.
    Little did I know that later in life these skills would serve me well.
    Whether you like it or not, many bullies in life go on to be successful leaders.
    There are some positions in life where one needs to take control and lead.
    I would not have a problem with my child being bully. I would rather that to them being bullied.
    I was always taught to stand up for myself and fight back. It has served me well in life.

Bullying and standing up for yourself are two entirely different things. The former has nothing to do with the latter. It's quite the opposite in fact.

All bullying teaches is that you have put other people down if you want to feel good about yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I guess the question is really the same as asking whether you'd prefer your child to be a criminal or a crime victim, a thief or someone who is stolen from. My wife and I always taught our children that bullying was wrong, that bullies must be reported to parents or the school authorities, that giving in to bullies only encouraged them and meant that others would suffer as well, and that bullies usually ended up friendless and, in all probability, eventually in trouble. I think it worked. If they had turned out to be bullies, their mother and I would both feel a deep sense of failure.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Old Tom wrote: »
    Which eye would you prefer to lose - left or right? I'm actually quite attached to both of them, so 50/50 for me.

But that aint how things happen in the real world.

Give a bully a 50/50 choice and he'll take half of each eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Conchir

Clearly you have never been forced to endure being bullied.

I was just thinking the same thing. I was bullied for about 4 weeks in senior infants, and the one thing I remember most from that experience is the unending fear of the bully, school and, most acutely, the fear of trying to tell someone. I can't understand even now why the thought of telling my teacher or parents filled me with so much fear, but it did. I count the day I finally told my mam as one of the most difficult and important in my life. I just get the feeling you never experienced bullying because if you did you would understand these feelings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

HOS 1997 wrote: »
    If my child was being bullied I would encourage him/her to fight back as best they can and use whatever means they could. No point telling teachers or speaking to others parents, the only language a bully understands is violence. It's the only way it would stop.

Yeah but what if the child being bullied is physically weaker than the bully? Thta's often why they get picked on in the first place. What if there are a group of bullys? Fighting back might only lead to even worse physical punishment.

There were a group of bullys at the school I went to who used to pick on this one kid and give him an unmerciful time. He went to the principal and told him what was going on. The bullys were all threatened with expulsion and hey ho the bullying stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

Yeah but what if the child being bullied is physically weaker than the bully? Thta's often why they get picked on in the first place. What if there are a group of bullys? Fighting back might only lead to even worse physical punishment.

There were a group of bullys at the school I went to who used to pick on this one kid and give him an unmerciful time. He went to the principal and told him what was going on. The bullys were all threatened with expulsion and hey ho the bullying stopped.

I would sign the kid up for boxing, martial arts or something along those lines to improve their fighting skills. I would advise them to use a weapon if it got really bad. One thing is for sure, I would not tell them to turn the other cheek as that only leads them to a sore face.

There was chronic bullying in the school where I went (I suffered it myself for a couple of months in second year). Teachers can only do so much, they can stop it in the classroom but not in the yard or outside of school.

I also realise that bullies are generally cowards and if someone they are bullying stands up for themselves they usually stop and move on to someone more defenseless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

A kid has to be told by some adult to make it simple for himself. He can't go around worrying whether things will get worse. He has to fight back and stand up for himself properly. From memories in school, the kids who got bullied were the ones who didn't fight back, whether or not the bully had the size advantage.

I don't think that violence comes naturally to many people or many children, so for situations like dealing with physical bullying, I think a kid needs to be taken aside (probably by a parent) and told how he should stand up for himself.

That's not the best solution. The best solution is that the kid stands up for himself. That way he has the tools to deal with other bullies that he may encounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I'd be very pissed off with my kid if he/she was a bully. And to the people saying it would serve them well in later life, it wont. It'll get them into trouble because theres always someone bigger and being an asshole to people will eventually get you a bad beating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Depends.

The bullying of today ain't like it was when I was growing up.

I was a bully but only to males. Mostly my own cousins, but a few little boys who I used to play with. They never objected. I think the only time they may have cried was when they got struck by a toy on accident. By me. But, I got in trouble for that. Otherwise, they all pretty much adapted to it and our parents let it go because it pretty much is a part of life. There will be natural leaders, natural followers, natural outsiders, and natural instigators. If my kid was the bully in one of these more natural engagements, I wouldn't bothered.

However, if my kid was participating in the online stalking, hallway intimidation, and constant harassment of another student, then there computer would be taken away. They would be removed from school and they would probably have to work their butt off to earn back my respect and trust. If my kid was the subject of such bullying, someone's parents are going to get a knock at their door.

I'm afraid I can't agree with the sentiments which I've bolded above. What you appear to be saying is that physical bullying is OK, but cyber-bullying isn't. Am I correct?

If so, then it is a blatant contradiction which cannot be condoned.

That's only one possible - and lucky - outcome.

Our daughter was bullied and ostracised between 1st and 3rd year secondary school. There was a ringleader with a small core of "associates". These in turn kept the rest of the class in line.

It wasn't until one of the well-behaved children plucked up the guts to go to the teacher that it escalated. We played it by the book; contacting the school by letter (as it was then) or phone. The school couldn't deal with it. Bully called in, lectured, etc. Things got terribly worse. Our daughter was surrounded by around 20 or so teenagers in a public toilet. She had to lock herself in a cubicle which was almost kicked to pieces by the time the Gardai got there.

Her mobile phone saved her from what could have been a horrific beating - or worse. I swear, by the time I arrived I was fit to do anything. Believe me.

The problem could be traced back to when the girls moved from primary to secondary school, when some genius had the idea of mixing a well-behaved class with what were essentially louts, thinking the good would rehabilitate the bad.:rolleyes:

The outcome was inevitable. Our daughter, who was very quiet and well-behaved, was targetted. Three years of what can only be described as mental and physical torture ensued. Were it not for the fact that she spoke to us about it (which we always encouraged) I honestly don't know what might have become of her.

She is now a very outgoing, independent, and successful 24 year-old, who we love dearly, and with her whole life ahead of her, thank God. The bully? The exact opposite. So while she was the product of her own environment - unfortunately - this cannot be used as an excuse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I have such wonderful memories of school. Sometimes though, I wonder if I might of improved things a bit by donning shades, long black coat and armed to the teeth sprayed my tormentors with a hail of bullets.

• Advertisement

old hippy wrote: »
    I have such wonderful memories of school. Sometimes though, I wonder if I might of improved things a bit by donning shades, long black coat and armed to the teeth sprayed my tormentors with a hail of bullets.

Amen to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Film coming out soon. Looks pretty sad

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Being bullied: teach them about guerilla warfare as practised by the IRA.

Is the bully: find the reason why

the_syco wrote: »
    Being bullied: teach them about guerilla warfare as practised by the IRA.

Is the bully: find the reason why

Easier said than done. Believe me.

old hippy wrote: »

Bad timing! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17182562

FBI officials would not comment on a motive. But 15-year-old Danny Komertz, who witnessed the shooting, said the suspect was known as an outcast who had apparently been bullied.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

My daughter was bullied for a year or so in school it eventually stopped when the bully left the school,all i felt was angry and powerless knowing she had to face it every day

I just wanted to march into the school and grab the bully by the throat but you cant do that:mad:

I was badly bullied in one particular school, it destroyed my confidence and I must have seen like an easy target after that. I don't know if it's connected but since then, I've had a lifetime of depression and bouts of low self esteem. And then you get some random prick saying to you "man up/stop being the victim/you have a chip on your shoulder" etc... most annyoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

My daughter was bullied for a year or so in school it eventually stopped when the bully left the school,all i felt was angry and powerless knowing she had to face it every day

I just wanted to march into the school and grab the bully by the throat but you cant do that:mad:

I know it's not right, but I know I would not be able to stop myself from at least threatening the bully if my daughter was bullied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

The bullies don't know when to stop these days.
    Bullying was give and take in my school. They go to far these days.

• Advertisement

The bullies don't know when to stop these days.
    Bullying was give and take in my school. They go to far these days.

I dunno, the classmate who hit me over the head with a football boot could have held back, ditto the chap who chewed his mars bar and then spat it into my face - ah, the 70s!

Advertisement