Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

so skyline is gone, help me find new car!

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭(F.L.) Anders

theyre just brembo brakes covers. the 6 pot brakes on the opc are good enough standard ;)

i dont know what to make of the dash OP. looks like it flickered alright but it could be the camera too or something. that car has been for sale for a long time. the corsa opc has been also. i was looking at them about 6 months ago and both those 2 were for sale. id offer loooooow.
    there is a normal sri 3 door astra turbo on donedeal for 5k. it has 99k miles though. theyre 170 standard but can be brought up to 200 easily. needs a few upgrades to get the 240 of the opc.

Worth a look anyway,despite the covers (best to remove them for heat dissipation anyway)

You sure the standard brakes are 6 pot? The real Brembos are only 4 pot (perfectly adequate btw)

ShadowHearth, Top of my list mentioned so far would be an opc/vxr or a 3mps.

How about some other hot hatches worth a look- Seat Leon cupra R or mk5 Golf gti or Renaultsport Megane 225 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

the opc i was in had 6 pot although it was a burg. after having a look it seems most are 4 pot actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

That pug is quite lovely! Is that 407 coupe? I newer knew they gone so low in price though. I will need to look in to.

theyre just brembo brakes covers. the 6 pot brakes on the opc are good enough standard ;)

i dont know what to make of the dash OP. looks like it flickered alright but it could be the camera too or something. that car has been for sale for a long time. the corsa opc has been also. i was looking at them about 6 months ago and both those 2 were for sale. id offer loooooow.
    there is a normal sri 3 door astra turbo on donedeal for 5k. it has 99k miles though. theyre 170 standard but can be brought up to 200 easily. needs a few upgrades to get the 240 of the opc.

Did you had a look at it, or only donedeal view? Which corsa was it btw m8?

Na didnt go to view it. The 08 corsa with german plates for 8.9k

• Advertisement

Na didnt go to view it. The 08 corsa with german plates for 8.9k

8.9k is way optimistic for it though, unless he is willing to do a cash deal, I won't even bother.

Btw that pug 407 coupe os growing on me. I will check it in more detail at home by pc. It is not the fastest car out there, but looks like it has amazing sound proofing. I among a fan of 407 reliability, but I still will look in to coupe.

That pug is quite lovely! Is that 407 coupe? I newer knew they gone so low in price though. I will need to look in to.

There's a black one on carzone from a dealer in Dublin, asking 6k

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Kalel

Bought one of these last December.. 2.2 Petrol SV model ..Very nice car to Drive and fully kitted out too.. They also come in a 2.7 Diesel and 3.0 petrol (GT Model) . I have had no issues with mine since I got it. The 35mpg quoted in the ad is a bit optimistic (unless you drive under 100km/h in 6th gear.) .. Normal (slightly heavy footed) driving returns around 28mpg so not too bad.
    Few things to keep in mind when looking at these cars.. Check the dual Climate control , put both on full heat and cold , walk away if either one (mostly Drivers side) stays at the same temperature and doesn't change. These can be very expensive to fix but if you surf the web there are a few quick fixes if you are mechanically minded.Also watch out for Engine tappety noises, Apart from that these are a pretty good car for the money.

Kalel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

How about a mk1 focus Rs? 240bhp as standard, big brakes and major smiles per buck. I've had 2 and they outshine the imprezas and the Hondas. Rare car too with only 4500 of them made.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MagicRon

bmw 530d ( e60 ) as above, but it has quite a twist. i could look past 3.0 tax on it, as i could buy one for 5-6k eu and pay tax for 2-3 years, before i break even with 2.0 in the same time, which will be bought 8k eu. in the end of the day it is diesel engine too, so mpg will be better then anything above, but it will have a good kick too, when i need it. biggest problem - reliability. i know jack shiet about them, how reliable turbos and electronic on these.

I have a E60 530d. Power is unreal.
    Reliability is crap!

Too much computery gadgetry - too many sensors. There is always 'something' going/wrong in it. I let all the little bits and bobs build up over the last 6 months and spent €3000 last week getting everything sorted.

Add 1300 euro a year to that to tax it and a bit more to insure it.

I love the car, and love driving the car, but I would never buy one again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

What about a Chaser? Although this one is slightly over budget.

Full-10379475.jpeg

Other options would be a Galant VR-4

Full-10025409.jpeg

A non-estate Subaru Legacy B4:

Full-11497663.jpeg

Or at the very least, what about a Seat Leon Cupra?

Full-10961074.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

He turned down an STI because it was to similar to a highly modded car so I don't think he'd be mad for any if those bar the Cupra at the minute.

That Galant though, very tasty.

Kalel wrote: »
    Bought one of these last December.. 2.2 Petrol SV model ..Very nice car to Drive and fully kitted out too.. They also come in a 2.7 Diesel and 3.0 petrol (GT Model) . I have had no issues with mine since I got it. The 35mpg quoted in the ad is a bit optimistic (unless you drive under 100km/h in 6th gear.) .. Normal (slightly heavy footed) driving returns around 28mpg so not too bad.
    Few things to keep in mind when looking at these cars.. Check the dual Climate control , put both on full heat and cold , walk away if either one (mostly Drivers side) stays at the same temperature and doesn't change. These can be very expensive to fix but if you surf the web there are a few quick fixes if you are mechanically minded.Also watch out for Engine tappety noises, Apart from that these are a pretty good car for the money.

Kalel

This is fantastic, cheers m8.

Would you buy one again? Or are you bored of it? I know that 2.2 engine is not the most powerfull out there, but is it enough for that heavy body? How's comfort in these? I read that 407 is in its league of its own when it comes to road noise and comfort. I remember our old 406 was damn deadly quite inside even on motorways.

How muc you payed for your one last December if not a secret.

MagicRon wrote: »
    I have a E60 530d. Power is unreal.
    Reliability is crap!

Too much computery gadgetry - too many sensors. There is always 'something' going/wrong in it. I let all the little bits and bobs build up over the last 6 months and spent €3000 last week getting everything sorted.

Add 1300 euro a year to that to tax it and a bit more to insure it.

I love the car, and love driving the car, but I would never buy one again!

Thank you! That's very good info and that was my first fears when I though of 5 series. It just looks like pitched with so much technology in it, it's just screams out to get broken!!!

I guess that 3k bill wasn't even for vital stuff?

I think I will rule out e60 at this stage.

This is fantastic, cheers m8.

Would you buy one again? Or are you bored of it? I know that 2.2 engine is not the most powerfull out there, but is it enough for that heavy body? How's comfort in these? I read that 407 is in its league of its own when it comes to road noise and comfort. I remember our old 406 was damn deadly quite inside even on motorways.

How muc you payed for your one last December if not a secret.

I would def buy again but would go for the 3.0 GT . Very comfortable and as they are basically double glazed very little road noise. The body is heavy (its longer and wider that the 407 saloon/sedan) but the 170 bhp is ok . You been used of the Skyline might need the extra poke of the 3.0l but for every day use they are fine. I paid pout 6.5k last December for a 2006 SV with 95k K/M on the clock. IF you could get the GT with GPS (big screen) its pretty cool. The SV comes with Electric/Heated leather seats as standard. Take one for a spin and see what you think...the interior is a nice place to be.

I would def buy again but would go for the 3.0 GT . Very comfortable and as they are basically double glazed very little road noise. The body is heavy (its longer and wider that the 407 saloon/sedan) but the 170 bhp is ok . You been used of the Skyline might need the extra poke of the 3.0l but for every day use they are fine. I paid pout 6.5k last December for a 2006 SV with 95k K/M on the clock. IF you could get the GT with GPS (big screen) its pretty cool. The SV comes with Electric/Heated leather seats as standard. Take one for a spin and see what you think...the interior is a nice place to be.

6.5k is very good price! Surely these could be even cheaper now.

They come with leather seats as standart ( that's what I read ), though you newer know when it comes to Ireland. 3.0 would be the sweet spot, but I doubt anyone even ordered or in Ireland. :(

So ride quality gets A+?

6.5k is very good price! Surely these could be even cheaper now.

They come with leather seats as standart ( that's what I read ), though you newer know when it comes to Ireland. 3.0 would be the sweet spot, but I doubt anyone even ordered or in Ireland. :(

So ride quality gets A+?

Yes.. Seats are very supportive and comfy. The ride quality in the coupe is on a different level than the saloon. I had a saloon for a few days and did not like it at all. Leather is Standard on the SV and above models. Some of the SE have leather but not all. A lot of the GT's come with Leather covered dash's too.
    The price is dropping on these everyday by the looks of it. no one seems to want a car with a bigger engine than 1.8 anymore.. Which is great as far as I am concerned.
    As far as I am aware the coupe was built in a seperate factory than the other 407 models so reliability is slightly better.
    Take one for a spin and see what you think..

Yes.. Seats are very supportive and comfy. The ride quality in the coupe is on a different level than the saloon. I had a saloon for a few days and did not like it at all. Leather is Standard on the SV and above models. Some of the SE have leather but not all. A lot of the GT's come with Leather covered dash's too.
    The price is dropping on these everyday by the looks of it. no one seems to want a car with a bigger engine than 1.8 anymore.. Which is great as far as I am concerned.
    As far as I am aware the coupe was built in a seperate factory than the other 407 models so reliability is slightly better.
    Take one for a spin and see what you think..
    Only one is at 6.5k there. Others are at 7950eu for 07. A bit on a high side for me if I need to go over 2.0 :(.

Not many 3.0 out there too and waaaay higher price too. I guess those dealerships are chancing it at that price, I can't see many people to be out for a petrol coupe with over 2.0l.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MagicRon

Thank you! That's very good info and that was my first fears when I though of 5 series. It just looks like pitched with so much technology in it, it's just screams out to get broken!!!

I guess that 3k bill wasn't even for vital stuff?

I think I will rule out e60 at this stage.

I was okay with some of it, flywheel was making noise and I was told I was as well to get the clutch done while I was at it.

But, because of sensors and whatnot gone, the car had no traction control, no cruise control, no ABS, and had a warning for "Restraint System Failure". It was also telling me there was a puncture the whole time. There were two red lights and three yellow lights on the dash :)
    There was also a really annoying problem in the boot .. When I'd be driving, either the number plate lights wouldn't work or the boot would randomly open while driving. Turns out there is a common enough problem with the wires in the boot -- because of the way the wires go into the boot lid, the boot opening and closing wears the wires, they eventually expose and cross. Got a full service done and a few other bits too.

Another really annoying problem with my car (and not fixed) is that if I fill the tank with Diesel, some of it will leak out. From reading online it seems to be something to do with a breather pipe ... but it seems that there is a lot of work in getting to it to fix it so it can wait another while.

Car is perfect again though, for now :)

Boss has a 2008 520D, turbo went in his lately and cost him big! I know another lad with a 2006 325i and he has had some bother with his too (some of the same problems as me)... he was able to get a lot of bits fixed under warranty after buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 kyle123

5 series bmws are cracking but im sure you know there not easy on the juice have 2 mates with 530 nd a 525 nd there filling it every week with just short enough drives in it. but when it comes to comfort you could sleep in the things lol i love them just cant afford to keep one lol. i think they look fantastic to. how bout a c180 merc? i think there great looking cars but dont know much about them. the 4 door though

• Advertisement

Thank you so much lads! So far I am narrowing it down:

Astra opc - still on the list, but No many for sale that I could buy. Need some luck or a good price drop.

Corsa opc - quite perfect for me, there are 2 of them in cork ( if not sold ), might give a look on weekend.

Mazda mps - really grew on me. Quite interested in the one on donedeal. 07. 7950eu. Would love to drop that price. It has tax for 3 month, which is handy.

Ford focus ST - okay okay, it did grew on me too. If I am willing to go 2.2, 2.3 then might aswell go 2.5. Though I would like to find one for 7k or less. There were good few of them few months ago, but now they all up in price FFs.

Pug 407 2.2 coupe - that dn thing really got my intrest. It's not a sports car, but all that luxury and toys make up for it. Only 2 for sale at below 6.5k. There are few amazing ones for 7950, but I won't pay that money for it.

Subaru wrx standart. Still like them. Could get 02-04 one for good money too.

Any info on these cars is welcomed.
    Btw lads, how much could I knock off price if I buy from garage. Full cash. If car is listed around 8k?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Btw lads, how much could I knock off price if I buy from garage. Full cash. If car is listed around 8k?

If its something with a bigish petrol engine that they are struggling to shift you would definitely get some money off asking. You'll have to ask some of the real hagglers like LM though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭walus

And what about Legacy 3.0R? http://www.carzone.ie/search/Subaru/Legacy/3.0-A%23T-/201213207518213/advert?channel=CARS. It fits all your requirements. It is cheap to buy too. Cheers.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

99% of the opcs on donedeal have been there for months Shadowh. Id go in with a real cheeky bid for one around the 9k

Pug 407 2.2 coupe - that dn thing really got my intrest. It's not a sports car, but all that luxury and toys make up for it. Only 2 for sale at below 6.5k. There are few amazing ones for 7950, but I won't pay that money for it...............

You might be surprised how much they'd let them go for :)

walus wrote: »
    And what about Legacy 3.0R? http://www.carzone.ie/search/Subaru/Legacy/3.0-A%23T-/201213207518213/advert?channel=CARS. It fits all your requirements. It is cheap to buy too. Cheers.

That one ............

(bastad link won't work)

is effectively €2500 considering the tax with it.

Advertisement