Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New DIT Campus - Grangegorman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    Dude, why the personal attacks and all the aggression ????
    There were no insults or attacks, no aggression, just observations.

The majority of posters feel your location issues are nothing short of ridiculous and perhaps if you articulated your concerns a little better rather than f'ing and blinding then your points may have been debated a little and who knows where the thread may have gone.

How and ever whats done is done, I don't want to drag this thread further off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 nijel

I have read most of these comments here and am still unsure... is this development going ahead??? i know it my not be finished in 5 years(the time it will take me to finish architecture there) but i still think it would be great to be part of it and would really be a big plus for me to go trheir in september,.,. any one know ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

Grangegorman is a kip in a ****ty part of the city, close to Smithfield another kip in a ****ty part of the city. But hey, that's just an opinion :-)

It's never gonna happen so don't get too excited!

Haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It's never gonna happen so don't get too excited!
    irishtimes.com - Last Updated: Monday, July 26, 2010, 08:45
    Metro, Dart link included in €39bn revised capital plan

HARRY MCGEE Political Correspondent

The Government has announced a new €39 billion capital investment plan until 2016 that prioritises major projects such as Metro North, the Dart interconnector and the new DIT campus in Grangegorman but will result in delays for other promised infrastructure projects.

The major plan to bring all the colleges of the Dublin Institute of Technology together in once campus at Grangegorman will still go ahead.

Time to start getting excited?

excited yes :D ... but any word on completion date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭markpb

nijel wrote: »
    excited yes :D ... but any word on completion date?

Hold your horses there. First, we have to get word on a start date :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

The original plan for Grangegorman expected expenditure of 1.4 bn.

The "new" NDP proposes expenditure of 650m over five years for all third level capital expenditure. This would include all work at universities and other institutes of technology e.g. a project of 30m was recently announced for St. Pat's Drumcondra.

So how much money is available for Grangegorman? Is it a PPP? Is it based on the sale of DIT's other buildings? How much will they get for them in the current market??????

@ nowecant ... 2010 = 395!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

nijel wrote: »
    @ nowecant ... 2010 = 395!
    What?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Son of Stupido

Original costings were in boom time currency.

Construction costs down 40-50% now, as are consultancy costs.

You get much more for your buck these days.

Grangegorman is a great idea, and will kickstart investment in that part of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Original costings were in boom time currency.

Construction costs down 40-50% now, as are consultancy costs.

You get much more for your buck these days.

Grangegorman is a great idea, and will kickstart investment in that part of the city.
    I totally agree and I also think it could have a positive effect on Smithfield as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

On RTE this morning - http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0921/dit.html

450 new construction jobs at Grangegorman site
    Tuesday, 21 September 2010 11:48
    450 construction jobs are to be created in a development project on the Grangegorman site in Dublin's north inner city.

The €486m project is expected to be given the final go-ahead at this morning's meeting of the Cabinet - it will be formally announced by the Taoiseach and the Tánaiste this afternoon.

The former psychiatric hospital is to be replaced by a new facility for Dublin Institute of Technology, which will bring 22 of its 27 schools together on a single site.

A new primary school will also be built along with modern facilities for mental health patients.

The first stage of the project will take ten years, with potential for further development at a later stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Godge wrote: »
    The "new" NDP proposes expenditure of 650m over five years for all third level capital expenditure. This would include all work at universities and other institutes of technology e.g. a project of 30m was recently announced for St. Pat's Drumcondra.

Tell me this is to knock the wall and move the prefabs so a bus lane can go in across from the Cat and Cage....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Tell me this is to knock the wall and move the prefabs so a bus lane can go in across from the Cat and Cage....

http://www.spd.dcu.ie/main/news/PressRelease.shtml

doesn't say anything about that but it might get rid of the prefabs:)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭nowecant

A much needed update to this Thread, Careers Portal reports that construction work is starting onsite.

http://www.careersportal.ie/news/news.php?Heading=Project+builds+a+Third-level+giant&ID=31051101

"The campus will also be home to a Health Service Executive outpost, including the redeveloped St. Brendan's hospital and sheltered housing for elderly people. Construction of these facilities is to start next week with the arrival on site of the first crane to be erected in Dublin in three years. Construction work on the DIT buildings will start next year."

At the time this was the government saying that they were going to go ahead with the development

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0921/dit.html

This is the DIT saying the project is still going ahead as of 22 September 2010

http://dit.ie/news/archive2010/grangegormanlaunch/

The page also has a very good video about the project

There are also some very detailed new plans on the GDA website

http://www.grangegormandevelopmentagency.ie/reports.html

A lot of reading though

This is the latest news on the topic that i could find

"The Government will support the relocation of DIT to Grangegorman 'as resources permit' and says it will explore the establishment of a multi campus Technical University in the south east."

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0306/programmeforgovernment.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Nowecant, thanks for the update, however in the future could you just post most of these updates into "one update" (to rule them all) instead of multiple bumps.

While the Sunday Business article i posted above mentioned cranes going up i have yet to see any there. I have however seen a new site entrance being opened on the NCR side nearest where the new HSE Mental Health Replacement Facility is to be placed. At least its movement even if it is slow.

Also apparently sources close to Leo Varadkar, the Minister for transport are reporting that the luas Line BDX will be going ahead... if they are thinking about the big picture this will be great news for the Campus.

"'BDX will be going ahead to serve the Grangegorman campus where all the DIT colleges will be relocated. It's the most deliverable at the moment."

I'm certainly for this development going ahead now, but I keep wondering as I go though that area why the culture doesn't exist in this country that you see elsewhere in Europe and kind of cool "lefty" cities in the US of urban re-development.

There are some beautiful houses on the North Circular Road down that area near the park - it's actually a fantastic street as you look down towards the Wellington Monument. In fact, there are also some really nice places on the Old and New Cabra Roads...

I know there is a seedy element there, but it's chicken and egg a bit isn't it? Would regeneration improve the area or is regeneration not happening because of the bad element?

It all raises to my mind, will this development spark or spur a regeneration of that area, or will it simply end up like the Smithfield wasteland?
    Also, why does this culture of regeneration not exist in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

There have been many Irish regeneration projects with varying outcomes. For a while Temple Bar Properties hosted a long sequence of foreign academics, documentary makers, and government officials to view how they had transformed a rundown area.

Smithfield was part of a less successful regeneration program accompanied by tax incentives, Luas line, cash for physical improvements, arthouse cinema etc

One view of regeneration is that it is a process of taking the poor people in an area and moving them off somewhere else, then doing up their homes and selling them to hipsters.

Temple Bar Properties has social housing - for example in West Temple Bar but they agreed with the council that the flats would be occupied by elderly people and empty nesters to avoid the social problems that accompany the young poor.

Grangegorman is not a bad area at all and the north circular road is not that rough.

dynamick wrote: »
    There have been many Irish regeneration projects with varying outcomes. For a while Temple Bar Properties hosted a long sequence of foreign academics, documentary makers, and government officials to view how they had transformed a rundown area.
    I kind of forgot about Temple Bar tbh.
    Smithfield was part of a less successful regeneration program accompanied by tax incentives, Luas line, cash for physical improvements, arthouse cinema etc
    I would view this as a pretty poor example of regeneration in comparison to efforts of other cities.
    One view of regeneration is that it is a process of taking the poor people in an area and moving them off somewhere else, then doing up their homes and selling them to hipsters.

Temple Bar Properties has social housing - for example in West Temple Bar but they agreed with the council that the flats would be occupied by elderly people and empty nesters to avoid the social problems that accompany the young poor.
    I think regeneration of areas is about maximising the space potential of areas and reinvigorating them (for lack of a better word) to make the area more inviting to young couples, professionals and even families.
    It involves housing, transport, social and some sense of community.

It's lacking from Smithfield, because if you take one loop out of the chain it fails. Smithfield is an example of high-cost, low-quality apartments, no social life, poor facilities, etc. Basically there was a general mismanagement.
    Grangegorman is not a bad area at all and the north circular road is not that rough.
    Grangegorman isn't bad I agree, but NCR past there towards the park is not a nice area.
    I'm saying that the houses along there are beautiful though and should be restored.

I think as a regeneration project this might work, in many other projects they hype the fact that simply doing it up and making it a nicer place to live move people will come and increase the amount of activity etc.

This development will literally bring 20,000 students to the area, many will be attending evening class, and there will be a huge amount of jobs not only in the construction but also in the running of the institution. These jobs will be at all levels thus creating a full range for the community.

I believe for a regeneration to work one of the main things is evening and night time activity, from the plan I know they are trying to centralize the activity in the campus to create a better night life for this students, I also hope that there is more life in the surrounding areas of Phibsborough, Smithfield and Stonnybatter

Its also worth noting the majority of local community groups etc. are in favor of this as it has very little direct impact, that is they are not moving people out of their homes and are increasing the amount of amenities.

Regarding many of the run down properties in this area one of the main issues with them is that many of them were bought as investment properties and are now unoccupied, many of those that are occupied are divided into terrible bed sits etc. I believe that with the influx of students looking for accommodation that there will not only be an increase in occupancy as land lords decide to upgrade existing unused spaces but also that a better community spirit will be accommodated, similar to that found in Rathmines.

The other thing I forgot to mention is the other development work going on which will increases the likelihood of this being a successful regeneration, these include,,,

The building of the national children’s hospital (whether you agree with the site or not, will massively improve that part of Phibsborough. Combined with the likely long term plan to move the Rotunda maternity hospital up to the same site will create one of the biggest if not the biggest and most advanced hospital complex in the country.

The movement of Montjoy Prison, which will also likely go-ahead long term, will also improve the area. That part of the NCR is almost sterile with absolutely no activity.

The development of the Luas BXD line will most likely have a similar effect as the Luas has had in other areas it has serviced.

The development of the Constitution hill Dublin Bus garage (which from some of the videos of the Grangegorman development looks like a likely stage 2 addition to the new campus)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Rock of Gibraltar

Is there any talk of doing something with the old Broadstone Station to complement the new campus. Other than the luas line
    Seems like an enormous waste of space and of a building to have the Bus Eireann depot in there. Given it's central Dublin location.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Is there any talk of doing something with the old Broadstone Station to complement the new campus. Other than the luas line
    Seems like an enormous waste of space and of a building to have the Bus Eireann depot in there. Given it's central Dublin location.
    Im sure CIE has many hair-brained plans for Broadstone Station, all of which have the same objective; making sure nobody else gets to use it. CIE dont want anyone else on their patch. IR even have their own plans for the Broadstone line trackbed to make sure that RPA dont get to use it for the Luas. Im sure any plans to do anything with the station will be met with plenty of opposition from CIE.

• Advertisement

I have not heard or seen any mention of it. However from looking at the videos about the project it looks like there has been some planning for future integration with this site. If you take a look at the 2008 video here in the first minute where the hand comes up there are a few access points to the campus, which cut across the Broadstone bus garage.

There is the main entrance which seems to be exactly where there Maxoil stations is on Constitution Hill, there is also a second one which exists the site in the north east corner near "Marne Villas" off "Rathdown Road" and comes out on Phibsborough Road. I believe from looking at the map that this will be beside a small church south of "Monck Place" This will break up the bus garage and frame the site for future development. This entrance would be perfect for any students trying to access the college from the Phibsborough direction.

Also if you look to the end of this video, about a minute from the end id say there is a section about the Broadstone entrance, they call it "Key Master plan Principle 6 Broadstone: A City Space" when the video changes over to the artists view of the entrance it appears that there is a lot more development of the buss garage than a simple entrance.

The recent 2011 video here also seems to suggest future expansion into the bus garage.

I do remember hearing something once about CIE/Iarnród Éireann not wanting to give RPA and Luas access to the site saying that they had long term plans for reintroducing the railway there. However the Minister for transport at the time... Seamus Brennen I believe came out strongly against their idea.

Advertisement