Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can the midlands support itself and create jobs

• 06-06-2010 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Can the midlands of Ireland support itself and create jobs. Is there those among us with the vision to see gaps in the market that can be exploited. I see a 30mile 50km railway line to Athlone that can be taken up and laid as a walk/bicycle track that could potentially generate jobs and money and a canal that is another jobs and money generator who agrees with me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭baldbear

Politicians don't care about the midlands so we are been left behind.
    Alot of new jobs seem to be going to Cork where Batt o'keefe is. There are no strong politicians in my area that have any clout in the government.
    Also, the roads and all the infrastructures are bad and upgrades are been postponed so it wouldn't really be a major attraction.(The N4 and N5)
    http://www.advertiser.ie/mayo/article/26268

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Rents are lowers, cost of living is lower but the big companies will not move to the midlands as they would be afraid of not being able to attract the best and brightest. Dublin or even some of the smaller cities have the name and there fore the ability to attract talented people from anywhere in the world.

What I would love to see in the midlands is something that would attract some long term jobs but I think you need to think outside the box.

We have the M4, M6 and M7 on our door steps, why were we never considered for a national stadium. You can reach the midlands fairly easily and its central.

There was talks before of a disney land style theme park for north county dublin, yet midlands have more space, cheaper lands and is easier access.

I think the fact that leader and the like push so many people towards starting business ventures that will lead to export is a bit off putting. I'd love to see a fund for people to just setup a company that will be successful, even if its only mildly and local as long as it creates a job or two.

/end ramble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pogna

baldbear wrote: »
    Politicians don't care about the midlands so we are been left behind.
    Alot of new jobs seem to be going to Cork where Batt o'keefe is.
    we need one or 2 good ministers working for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 taytoRking?

you want anything done go to see the new SF td....brian stanley...very good and takes the time to listen n does really care unlike all the other gold diggers...ps im not a SF member or follower.....the 1st thing the midlands need is people in fas and other state bodies to give a damn about their jobs and do them properly....been to fas a hundred times this year and still not 1 course ive been given yet they hand over money to me every week for nothing...whats better handing money for yrs with no return or giving people who want to work courses?????? what do you think has a better chance of a return for our money???upskilled people or dole collectors????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Genghis

The midlands have been neglected for years. Athlone is a possible exception, it seems to attract reasonable interest, but is hardly a shining light. Portlaoise, Tullamore, Mullingar are all examples of towns that have practically no sustainable development.

Not sure I agree with the 'need' to have more powerful politicians - wasn't our previous Taoiseach from the heart of the midlands, and did it make any difference?

Yes there are huge advantages to the Midlands, one of which is the daily 'Brain Train' where 1000s of talented and skilled people commute by car, train or bus to Dublin. However, there is simply too much emphasis on Dublin; I think practically any region in Ireland suffers from this.

It was a real shame that previous governments had a certain visions (decentralisation, national spatial strategy, inland port) that were allowed to wain and then disappear. Yes, that speaks to a certain ineptitude within government, but it also speaks to our society and economy - unions, business leaders, inward investment agencies, civil servants, none of these have demonstrated any desire to move or think beyond the GDA.

As far as the midlands go, I think people generally accept that a 1.5-2hr commute each way is inevitiable for half the working population in the Midlands.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Well we may have the go ahead here in Athlone for China Town, so there may be some potential for spin off companies, that could potentially attract the best and brightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

would love to see something like the Swiss have done, where regions are divided into Cantons and they can compete with each other on tax rates, and therefore compete with each other for jobs, and people. The midlands like the rest of Ireland will always play second fiddle to Dublin, mainly because Dublin has all of the competitive advantages. I hate parish pump politics and 'me feiners', but the one size fits all economic policies within Ireland are as counterproductive as the one size fits all economic policies within the Eurozone. Just my opinion though.

Advertisement