Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Bitch about daily life in NUIG!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Went in for a pint 8pm on "christmas day" in college bar...."No more nails" wouldn't stick me aswel to the floor with all the drink dried on it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Lads, apart from early lectures, I think we all know daily life in NUIG is pretty awesome ;)

I feel sorry for the other college's, seriously :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

First semester 2nd year electronic and computer engineering. It's horrible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

po0k wrote: »
    ...?
    Print?
    Email it surely?
    Timestamped, reasonable identify verification, saving paper, free and faster etc.???
    Or is the lecturer fond of tree flesh/afraid of compooters?

Loads of lecturers ask for hard copies of assignments/essays. It's ridiculous, as you say it is a waste of paper, takes more time and effort, is not as accountable or reliable as emailing (see: my lecturer emptying the drop-box and leaving 10 minutes before the deadline). And surely it's easier for them to use TurnItIn than to manually check for plagiarism?

Can't stand the archaic lecturers who don't use Blackboard either. Although it's probably a sneaky way of punishing students who don't go in :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

There are some serious luddites outside of computer studies departments ime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

The ignorant c**ts who hang around outside the Reading Room door chatting and laughing at full volume, even in the late hours. I've been tempted to walk outside and calmly say, "Girls/lads, would ye kindly mind f*cking off over there? Thanks."

Or the people who think that walking through the double doors to the print credit areas in the library suddenly places them in a soundproof bubble. They proceed to chat on the phone in a perfectly audible volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Nuigforce

Lads, apart from early lectures, I think we all know daily life in NUIG is pretty awesome ;)

I feel sorry for the other college's, seriously :D
    Massive thumbs up!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Not liking the Baltic conditions here in the Cairnes study area. Seriously considering bringing in an electric heater tomorrow. 4 good layers, including thermal wear that had me melting out in the snow yesterday and I'm still freezing :mad:. Not a happy bunny!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

Having to Skate/Swim walking from Cois Abhann to Concourse..Ergh.. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Loads of lecturers ask for hard copies of assignments/essays.

My programming lecturer asks for a hardcopy as well as submitting assignments via Blackboard. Reason is, he can mark the paper assignment and give it back so students can get feedback on where they might have gone wrong. The electronic version acts as a receipt and a backup in case the student loses the hardcopy.

• Advertisement

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    Not liking the Baltic conditions here in the Cairnes study area. Seriously considering bringing in an electric heater tomorrow. 4 good layers, including thermal wear that had me melting out in the snow yesterday and I'm still freezing :mad:. Not a happy bunny!
    Really? Are you sure you don't mean the old St Anthony's building? Cairnes is usually roasting (and smells awful) when the weathers bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Really? Are you sure you don't mean the old St Anthony's building? Cairnes is usually roasting (and smells awful) when the weathers bad.

No, I can vouch for this, it's absolutely freezin in the study area upstairs!! Thats what you get with a glass wall when its -2C outside!!

Anyone else hate the way whenever you enter a computer suite or study area, nearly everyone makes a point of turning around to look at you? Nosy sods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

cr0bar wrote: »
    Also the parking arrangements for students irks me - it's like it hasn't changed in a decade. Back then hardly any students had cars so it was grand. Now more and more have wheels. The upside is I'm always in college now at 8am.

8am is not an upside. Ever.

Anyone else hate the way whenever you enter a computer suite or study area, nearly everyone makes a point of turning around to look at you? Nosy sods.

Probably just bored. But also you can get a peek at some very attractive members of the opposite sex (or same if that's your thing) around exam time. They all come out of the wood work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭ciano1

Probably just bored. But also you can get a peek at some very attractive members of the opposite sex (or same if that's your thing) around exam time. They all come out of the wood work.

Noticed that today actually in the IT building!! :D

ciano1 wrote: »
    Noticed that today actually in the IT building!! :D

That's weird, coz, eh, I was in the IT building today:cool::p!

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    That's weird, coz, eh, I was in the IT building today:cool::p!
    Looking at me.

Another thing that's really annoying is this: The people who come into the study space in Cairnes, or the library aswell possibly or the reading room, Def cairnes anyhow, and sit there, the WHOLE day laughing, talking OUT LOUD and just shíte actin in general, píssin off everyone around them and not giving a hoot. These are the same asses that will be giving out when they have to pay for repeat exams!

"I don't know how I failed, mom, I was studying from 9 til 7 every day"

Just because there's a book on the table and a tab with blackboard open in your browser does not mean you are studying!:mad:

Was opposite a girl 2 days ago, no yesterday actually, who spent the whole time giggling and running in and out of the room, and showing the girls beside her (one of whom was trying to study) "funny" videos or whatever and when she was leaving around 7pm, she was talking to someone for all to hear, and I heard her say "I have soooooooo much to do...:(" Bit of advice love, if you come in to study, do that, don't annoy the people who give a crap about their exams!!!:mad::mad::mad:

/rant

Sometimes you just have to have the balls to go over to someone and tell them to shut the fsck up. I've done this in the library and the Ciarnes building. Often in comp suites as well.

They'll be so shocked, that they usually stop whatever it is they're doing.

Plus I'm in final year with real work to do, so I'm older than most of the 1-3rd yrs that inhabit/infest study areas, presuming that postgrads are usually elsewhere. I do quite like lording it over them.

• Advertisement

For all the good the Facebook block does, you could at least just have it open in a tab and flick to it when someone messaged you - not nearly as irritating as the people who sit on a computer for the day with headphones watching Youtube or TV shows. Made even worse when they sit there sniggering (or in the case of most females, laughing uncontrollably).

And also, *puts on racist hat*
    The foreign people who think that because nobody else understands their language, they can shout down the phone or loudly natter away to their mates in Nigerian/Polish/etc. Zamknij się!!

For all the good the Facebook block does, you could at least just have it open in a tab and flick to it when someone messaged you - not nearly as irritating as the people who sit on a computer for the day with headphones watching Youtube or TV shows. Made even worse when they sit there sniggering (or in the case of most females, laughing uncontrollably).

I agree! I don't mind someone sitting down the whole day long doing nothing AS LONG AS they aren't annoying everyone else! I have Facebook open a good bit myself (on my laptop) but it most of the time genuinely is to talk to someone in my class about something in the exams or whatever, at least I'm not disturbing anybody's study but my own!

For the record, I have youtube on now, but I'm just listening to a playlist while I do some Maths, and the volume isn't so high that every Tom, Dick or Harry can hear it, which is another annoying thing!

(I'm not a grouch really!!:D)

As much as I'm opposed to those high-pitched "mosquito" things, I sometimes really wish they'd install one outside the Reading Room. I cannot honestly believe how f*cking ignorant people can be.

I usually have headphones in listening to pink noise. It takes me to my calm place. That said, if you ever see someone with a slight hissing noise coming from his ears and their head turning angrily towards the door every time there's a girly "HAHAHAHAHA LLOLOLOLOL!!!!1" coming from outside, that's probably me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

The men's toilets in the IT Building, ground floor

I know that the IT building is used by more than IT people, but....

Can ye PLEASE stop pissing all over the toilet seats (FFS theres loads of urinals in there)

And can ye please start washing ye're hands. A weird observation I admit but the amount of people i've noticed leaving those toilets without washing their hands is sick (It's study week, I spend a lot of time sitting on the jacks!)

JohnCleary wrote: »
    And can ye please start washing ye're hands. A weird observation I admit but the amount of people i've noticed leaving those toilets without washing their hands is sick (It's study week, I spend a lot of time sitting on the jacks!)

Actually makes more sense to wash your hands before going to the toilet than after. Cert you pick up way more germs by just opening the toilet door than you would touching yer mickey (well I speak for myself, dunno where you've stuck yours).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Actually makes more sense to wash your hands before going to the toilet than after. Cert you pick up way more germs by just opening the toilet door than you would touching yer mickey (well I speak for myself, dunno where you've stuck yours).

^^ true

I wasn't talking about onesies. I've seen a few people go straight from cubicle to door. It makes me cringe knowing that I have to pull the same door handle that they just did

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Unless they're reinacting 2girls1cup by themself, i wouldnt be too worried...

IT building bathrooms are usually pretty bad. Also, the whole ground floor of the IT building smells like piss since they leave the door to the ladies jacks open all the time (no offense ladies, same would apply for the gents). I can't be the only one who's noticed this?

Also, someone of some group of people have a serious issue with Muslims. Every time I go in there there seems to be a new "mohammid is a gayy" graffiti.

• Advertisement

Unless they're reinacting 2girls1cup by themself, i wouldnt be too worried...

Look lad, there's sinks there for a reason.

Wash yer hands when you go to the jacks, its common sense. I wouldn't care if they were keeping their hands to themselves, but the possibility of them using a keyboard etc. with microfragments of sh1te on their fingers - no thanks

Advertisement