Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro12: Munster vs Leinster, Sat 31 March 7:30pm, Live on RTÉ2

• 29-03-2012 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

Leinster.pnglive+stream+RaboDirectPRO12.jpgMunster.png

It's back! Probably the fiercest derby in world rugby! Munster host Leinster in Thomond Park in what is a key Pro12 fixture. Leinster can all but secure top spot and a home semi-final with a win while similarly second place Munster are looking to keep ahead of the chasing pack with a victory. However given the recent history between the sides, the exciting personal battles and the fact that most of the supporters wish to extinguish the harrowing memories of a dismal Six Nations campaign, this game is simply huge.
    Munster-s-Peter-O-Mahony-pro12-2011_2656518.jpgKeith-Earls-Munster-2010_2596407.jpgBrian-O-Driscoll-frustrated_2452006.jpgJonny-Sexton-post-Heineken-cup-semi_2591398.jpg
    Some of the main protagonists.

Munster:
    15 Felix Jones, 14 Johne Murphy, 13 Keith Earls, 12 Lifeimi Mafi, 11 Simon Zebo, 10 Ronan O'Gara (c), 9 Tomas O'Leary,
    8 James Coughlan, 7 Peter O'Mahony, 6 Dave O'Callaghan, 5 Mick O'Driscoll, 4 Donncha O'Callaghan, 3 BJ Botha, 2 Damien Varley, 1 Marcus Horan.

Replacements: 16 Mike Sherry, 17 Wian du Preez, 18 Stephen Archer, 19 Billy Holland, 20 Tom O'Donnell, 21 Duncan Williams, 22 Ian Keatley, 23 Danny Barnes.

Leinster:
    15 Rob Kearney, 14 Isa Nacewa, 13 Brian O'Driscoll, 12 Gordon D'Arcy, 11 Luke Fitzgerald, 10 Jonathan Sexton, 9 Eoin Reddan,
    8 Jamie Heaslip (c), 7 Shane Jennings, 6 Kevin McLaughlin, 5 Devin Toner, 4 Brad Thorn, 3 Mike Ross, 2 Sean Cronin, 1 Heinke van der Merwe.

Replacements: 16 Richardt Strauss, 17 Cian Healy, 18 Jamie Hagan, 19 Leo Cullen, 20 Sean O'Brien, 21 Isaac Boss, 22 Ian Madigan, 23 Fergus McFadden.

The previous meeting back in November, post Rugby World Cup, was a dour affair, with 2 teams both trying to find their feet while re-integrating their internationals back into the provincial setup. Leinster were the better side in a forgettable game ruined by over punitive officiating, their defence held strong while Jonathan Sexton produced a masterclass from the kicking tee. Given that this is a key time in the season, you would expect a much better spectacle this weekend, normally this is what a Thomond Park derby usually delivers, in both quality of rugby and atmosphere.

On paper (for what that's worth), Leinster would appear to be the better side. The arrival of Brad Thorn and the return of Brian O'Driscoll would have brought a huge boost to the squad. There was the matter of a hiccup at home to Ospreys last week, but Leinster would have preferred the bad performance to come in that match rather than over the next 2 months when the key fixtures arrive. The Ospreys loss will serve as a reminder that Leinster are far from infallible, while it can be said that Leinster had rested a few players Ospreys were in the same situation.

Once again, Munster have proved their doubters wrong having been written off once again at the start of the season. It took a few miracle drop goals from Ronan O'Gara to keep the Munster wagon rolling but once Munster found themselves again they haven't looked back. This is however another step up again. They face Ulster the following weekend in what will be Ulster's biggest game since they won the Heineken Cup and is more than a banana skin fixture. Finding form before facing the northern province will prove crucial.
    This game should answer many questions concerning the form and match fitness of many players. Is David Wallace match fit after several cameos and at his age will he get back to his best? Will the legendary Brad Thorn fit into the Leinster setup? Can Brian O'Driscoll regain his status as the world's best outside centre after a long rehabiliation period? After many weeks of criticism, can Jamie Heaslip rediscover his old ball carrying, explosive self or is he evolving into a different type of player? Will Keith Earls continue his upswing in development as a 13?

For Leinster to win, shutting down the 9-10-12 axis of Munster is crucial. Tomas O'Leary is known to struggle when under pressure (particularly if he is playing in front of a beaten pack), Ronan O'Gara's lack of pace and strength if forced to run the ball can be exposed while Lifeimi Mafi, a monstrous tackler on his day, can be a loose cannon. For Munster, matching Leinster's normal high tempo is essential. Their backline has some dangerous runners but they must first win the forward battle. Workhorses like Coughlan and Donncha O'Callaghan are always the principal performers when Munster dominate a game.

Prediction:
    Leinster will have been slightly rocked by the loss to Ospreys, but a loss that brings them back to earth may be a positive in the long run. Munster probably need a result more than Leinster, given the run in of other teams a loss for Munster would seriously threaten their chances of hosting a semi-final. The absence of three key players in O'Connell, Ryan and Murray is a huge loss to the home side and that could prove to be the difference. However a cornered animal is a dangerous animal and Munster have that immortal ability to win games they shouldn't. Munster by a score.

Munster and Leinster logos taken from www.therugbyforum.com RaboDirect Pro12 logo taken from www.rabodirectpro12.com

Player images taken from Planet Rugby & Sky Sports websites.
    Team lineups from here: http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3825_7637164,00.html

Everything else is my personal work.

Prediction? 165 votes

Munster
    0%
    Leinster
    34%
    ^whitey^fenrismoby2101CrowdedHouseSpudmonkeyAuversprospectcastie11811FeederbudhabobBenny CakejolterredvedEvil_ClownpappyodanielCoDy1ScrubsfanChrisacalmenvoymolloyjh 57 votes
    Dylan Hartley
    65%
    CrashMy name is Mud[Deleted User]maddsjustsomeblokeBig NellyhardCopyOtaconrrpc[Jackass]yeraulonerugbug86RandolphEsqcythonDave_The_Sheepwookie0Jellomikedragon32ongariteruamar 108 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Dylan Hartley
    Just target TOL should be the gameplan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

hope it's a cracker looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Leinster
    Great write-up as usual, Thomond. :cool:

POC, Ryan and Murray are huge losses...can home advantage and that almost desperate need for a win here swing it in our favour? I know Leinster lost at the weekend but it looks like things are going right for them at the right time of the season- the return of BOD could be massive, plus Cullen is back and the signing of Thorn. Add them to an already formidable team and a weakened Munster team would have to be worried.

We have to focus on the set-piece, and hope for the best there. I hope our lineout won't be weakened too much, and we have to get at least parity in the scrum. Hopefully ROG can kick his goals and the forwards can bring huge intensity and aggression.

However, despite home advantage, I think that the loss of our first-choice second row will play a big part in the entire game, POC is just vital to the performance of the whole team and with an underperforming TOL at scrum-half, we could be getting slow ball and be put under pressure. I think Leinster will sneak this one :(

EDIT: I just realised I voted Munster in the poll the moment I opened the thread....it must be natural instinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭phog

My mind says Leinster and my heart says Munster, we're missing a lot from our engine room and could possibly struggle to compete.

The ground will be rock hard and it looks like it will be a perfect night for rugby so we'll need to stop Leinster before they start running at us, missed tackles like we had against Aironi and Connacht will cost us dearly with the way the Leinster backs might be running at us.

Leinster will certainly have the advantage in the lineout and could possible have it in the scrum too so we may not have a platform to gain territory or scoring opportunites. If we manage to have parity in both then we could manage to win which will be a huge boost ahead of the 1/4 final the following week and will also strenghten our 2nd place position.

C'mon Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Dylan Hartley
    Bod for first try 14/1, big game in front of irish crowd in munster, his a big game player and wants to prove he still has it and can produce at the top level... leinster could win this even tho i'm a munster fan and i'll be at the game but they have too many players missing.... :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Leinster
    Prediction:
    Leinster will have been slightly rocked by the loss to Ospreys, but a loss that brings them back to earth may be a positive in the long run. Munster probably need a result more than Leinster, given the run in of other teams a loss for Munster would seriously threaten their chances of hosting a semi-final. The absence of three key players in O'Connell, Ryan and Murray is a huge loss to the home side and that could prove to be the difference. However a cornered animal is a dangerous animal and Munster have that immortal ability to win games they shouldn't. Munster by a score.

Great post, fair play.

I'm not sure that the loss to the Ospreys last week will have much of a bearing, tbh, it was one of those games that was more about getting guys a run-out and bringing the full squad back together. However, with the return of 8 or 9 guys from international duty added to the rustiness of O'Driscoll and Cullen and Thorn needing time to bed in, Leinster will be further disrupted this week whereas Munster will have a slightly more settled team despite the loss of O'Connell, Ryan and Murray.

Add to that the advantage Munster have of playing in Thomond and I think they have to be favourites. Paddy Power have Munster at -1 on the handicap, which I think are good odds for any Munsterman looking for a flutter. Munster's obvious weak points are:
    - The loss of O'Connell and Ryan; as good as MOD and DOC are, Munster will miss O'Connell's leadership and Ryan's dynamism
    - Scrum-half; O'Leary will do OK if the Munster scrum can give him go-forward ball and if the game plan is to keep it tight (as I expect it will be). However, if Leinster manage to get a lead and Munster need to chase the game, I think TOL will struggle to provide the service.
    David Wallace is the great unknown obviously. I missed the Connacht game so am in the dark a bit, but it will be a huge boost if he get back to top form, I think even us Leinster fans would be heartened to see that (to a limited extent).

I think the only contentious selection call on either side will be the make-up of the Leinster back-row; whether we see Jennings at 7 with O'Brien at 6, or McLaughlin at 6 with O'Brien at 7 will tell us a lot about how Schmidt intends to approach this game. Personally, I would go with Jennings; the ground will be hard and dry and fast ball will help Leinster's case no end. McLaughlin's lineout ability might swing it in his favour, however.

Hopefully we'll see a bit more entertainment than the last instalment at Lansdowne, I'll be shouting myself hoarse for a Leinster win but this is Munster in Thomond and you'd have to back them for win by 5-7 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Dylan Hartley
    I voted Leinster. I think losing POC and DR means we lose our set-piece, which means the loss of Murray [and the inclusion of TOL] will have a huge bearing on the game.

I cannot see where in this team we can pull a win from. Leinster have equal or better quality in almost all positions.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

GWAN MUNSTER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Had a dream last night. 13-10 Munster, ROG with a penalty at the death. Even in dream world he's a pain in the arse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Dylan Hartley
    I think it's too close to call. If I have to stick my neck out, I'll say Leinster, but can see any more than 3 or 5 points in it.

What I am looking forward to (if Thomond's team predictions are correct) is seeing Fitzy and Zebo's head to head. Zebo has it a rich vein of form recently while Fitzy has a point to prove following the contract circus. I know it's a topic for another thread, but I don't think Fitzy is worth a central contract at the moment, given his bad run of injuries and pretty poor form when he hasn't been injured. If ever there was a moment to restore some belief, now would be good.

One way or the other, this will be a cracker.

Who's got the whistle for this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Dylan Hartley
    I think Munster's home advantage is counter balanced by the loss of POC, Ryan and Murray. I am actually going for a draw on this one.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

Dylan Hartley
    Who's got the whistle for this one?

I think Nigel Owens said it was him on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

could you have found a camper photo of Peter O'Mahoney?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Leinster
    Is it me or is it predominantly Munster fans predicting a Leinster win and vice-versa. Personally I can't see past a Munster win. The Thomond factor cannot be underestimated, nor can the likely rustiness of the Leinster side. It should be close, but I'd fancy Munster to scrape it.

A win for Leinster would be great as it should really seal top spot for us, but it's not essential. So from that point of view I'm more concerned with potential injuries. Do you hear me Mafi, and yes you as well Horan... :P

All the same it's a great game to be leading both teams into the knock-out stages of the HEC. I'm really looking forward to it. I've got that excitement level that only comes with these big games.

COME ON LEINSTER!

Edit: Yeah Nige is the ref for this one. Happy with that one myself as both sides know him well enough at this stage and we know it's not going to be the penalty-fest that we saw in Landsdowne Rd!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Dylan Hartley
    molloyjh wrote: »
    Is it me or is it predominantly Munster fans predicting a Leinster win and vice-versa. Personally I can't see past a Munster win. The Thomond factor cannot be underestimated, nor can the likely rustiness of the Leinster side. It should be close, but I'd fancy Munster to scrape it.

A win for Leinster would be great as it should really seal top spot for us, but it's not essential. So from that point of view I'm more concerned with potential injuries. Do you hear me Mafi, and yes you as well Horan... :P

All the same it's a great game to be leading both teams into the knock-out stages of the HEC. I'm really looking forward to it. I've got that excitement level that only comes with these big games.

COME ON LEINSTER!

Edit: Yeah Nige is the ref for this one. Happy with that one myself as both sides know him well enough at this stage and we know it's not going to be the penalty-fest that we saw in Landsdowne Rd!

It's 'don't get your hopes up and be surprised by the best' I would imagine.

It depends what way you look at it, Leinster have the better team but Munster have Thomond Park. I personally think Leinster will do well to avoid 2 losses in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Blackheath

Leinster
    Anybody know where is a good spot to watch the match in London???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Dylan Hartley
    Can't go to game and can't watch....bro wedding and will be sitting doing speech's at the time kick off:(

I think Leinster got the kick up the ass they needed last week. They where brutal but only lost on a dodgy try been awarded, a dodgy kick been awarded and the video ref not seeing a Leinster try...so even when playing there worst rugby all season they still should of won

The Irish guys coming back will be fired up after playing for Ireland and having to play a crap game plan.

Hope Ross is fully fit, I know Leinster have said hagen should be available but I wouldnt risk him, White only got knock on face so I would guess he will be on bench

Cullen was so off the pace last week it wasn't funny but with a full game behind him and another week of training he will be ready to go

Thorn and Cullen also where not on same wavelenght last week, that should have improved

BOD back and played well last week but needed that game. Expect a better game on Sat

Will be strange to see no Shaggy, everyone at club have always said he was so fired up for Munster matchs.

Great match and can't wait for Sunday to sit down and watch it

A win for Shaggy lads!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Dylan Hartley
    Blackheath wrote: »

porterhouse in convent garden should be showing it

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/olsc/9722.php

London: www.porterhousebrewco.com/bars-london-coventgarden.php
    New York: www.mccormacks.net
    Dubai: www.mcgettigansdubai.com
    Sydney: www.gaelicclub.com.au

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Dylan Hartley
    priority for both teams is a bruising game to bring players up to speed for HC next week. Minimum target for Leinster is a losing BP. With the likes of BOD, Thorn, Cullen and Fitz coming back into the leinster team wheras POC and Ryan are missing for munster i think Leinster have to be favoured.

reddan/boss will be very focused on getting one up on TOL.

Biggest battle of the day will be POM and the Leinster backrow, i'm sure Heaslip & SOB will be out to prove a point and put manners on POM.

Munster pack with Botha, Du Preez, DOC, Wallace, Coughlan and POM is not to be taken lightly.

Something tells me Zebo will be targetted defensively

hope all come through it injury free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭Tefral

Join fellow Munster Supporters and join in the craic at Mustard Bar,(beside St Pauls), 2-3 Old Change Court, Peters Hill, London EC4M 8EN

The Mustard is now called the Yager though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

According to the OLSC the Porterhouse in London is due to show it.

• Advertisement

Dylan Hartley
    Can't see Redden starting this, Boss will play as he is more physical. Redden only played in Magners final last year because Boss was injuryed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Leinster
    Leinster fan here voting for a Munster win.

I concur with the opinion that Munster know they are down key players and need the win more, and things like this can give a mental edge and a result.

Actually, thinking more about this, which pack had the most players training under Kidney over the last few weeks, cause they are probably gonna lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Dylan Hartley
    Been a crappy week in work, really looking forward to this! always a cracker of a game.
    So Dylan Hartley is the new Neil Francis :pac:
    Big Nelly wrote: »
    Can't see Redden starting this, Boss will play as he is more physical. Redden only played in Magners final last year because Boss was injuryed.

Is Boss back from NZ? I'd imagine he'd start if that were the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Leinster
    Boss was in the RDS last week.

Dylan Hartley
    Burgo wrote: »
    Is Boss back from NZ? I'd imagine he'd start if that were the case.

He is unless he dialed in an image of himself to the field last week:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

I am down in Limerick for work today and was seriously thinking of wearing my Leinster jersey into the office to spark a bit of controversy before the game. Unfortunatly it was in the wash so I could not bring it down :(

Come on Leinster!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Thanks for that. Porterhouse it will be then.

From a neutral's point of view, this should be a cracker. Some really interesting match ups. I think the loss of POC and Ryan shouldn't be underestimated. Both of them were playing really well and are a big loss to Munster.

Also its great to see Wallace and BOD back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Dylan Hartley
    Big Nelly wrote: »
    He is unless he dialed in an image of himself to the field last week:p

Shows how overworked I am, was at the game last week and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

I cant believe I had to abandon 2 season tickets for this game..... stupid friend with his stupid wedding.

C'Mon Munster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Munster: F Jones; J Murphy, K Earls, L Mafi, S Zebo; R O’Gara capt, T O'Leary; M Horan, D Varley, BJ Botha; D O’Callaghan,M O'Driscoll; Dave O'Callaghan, P O’Mahony, J Coughlan.

Replacements: M Sherry, W du Preez, S Archer; B Holland, T O’Donnell, D Williams, I Keatley, D Barnes.

Advertisement