Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Who Led Walking Protest Has His Dole Cut

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭jasonc5432

To quote Wurly...

It is people power and the protest spirit that CREATED this country.
    It may well be a lack of people power standing up for what is RIGHT and a lack of protest against what is WRONG that is DESTROYING this country.

Which side are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

So if someone is competing in a sport and they don't tell social welfare, they will cut their Dole?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

"in protest at austerity measures has had his dole cut." - I know I shouldn't but I laughed at the irony.

This is some jobsworth in the social welfare office trying to make out how valuable they are whilst on the other hand refusing to answer the phone since they are so "busy" with the added workload (seriously, some welfare offices haven't responded to public phone calls since 2008, they're well capable of holding their own protest). In short, a vulgar display of the tiny amount of power someone has.

On a more serious note this could easily be seen as government suppression of legitimate political speech, which is a very dangerous road to travel down. Whats next, revenue audits of everyone that comments adversely on government performance? Don't fool yourselves, they would if they could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    On a more serious note this could easily be seen as government suppression of legitimate political speech, which is a very dangerous road to travel down. Whats next, revenue audits of everyone that comments adversely on government performance? Don't fool yourselves, they would if they could.

see there we go again with the ridiculous government conspiracy nonsense. you really think anyone in government cares enough about one individual who went on a bit of a walk? all he did essentially was achieve less than nothing! he wants to blame the government for his own stupidity in failing to inquire at his social welfare office for his holiday pay to cover him while he was NOT looking for work, but was instead gone for a walk, no ifs, buts, maybes or technically this that or the other about it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

xsiborg wrote: »
    see there we go again with the ridiculous government conspiracy nonsense. you really think anyone in government cares enough about one individual who went on a bit of a walk?
    I didn't say that's what it was, I said it could very easily be seen that way. The public sector needs to be very careful in how it treats politicial speech. Or are you saying that nobody on social welfare has the right to express themselves politically in public?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

I didn't say that's what it was, I said it could very easily be seen that way. The public sector needs to be very careful in how it treats politicial speech. Or are you saying that nobody on social welfare has the right to express themselves politically in public?

They have the right to express themselves and they do. There are organisations who represent the unemployed.

This story about this man has too many holes in it and raises lots of questions, I would not say it is all lies but there is a lot being left out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

They have the right to express themselves and they do. There are organisations who represent the unemployed.

This story about this man has too many holes in it and raises lots of questions, I would not say it is all lies but there is a lot being left out.

the waltzing consumer put it better than i could've done, there are a small section of the unemployed that have a chip on their shoulder about people looking down on them because they are unemployed. people have bigger things to think about! as waltzing consumer said- there are too many in this story and too many versions, and never in my 35 years on this planet, have i ever heard of 'the order came down from dublin to stop my payment, so the staff in the social welfare did a whip around for me', you couldnt make this stuff up, and yet it wouldnt surprise me!

the unemployed have every right to protest, but in my opinion i think they'd just be wasting their time that could be better spent doing voluntary work to improve society from the grassroots level, not from the top down, because you wont change the status quo of the old boys network at the top, but at least you can make a difference in your own community! that's if you REALLY want to change society and not just faff about it in the media bemoaning your lot.

there has been a lot mentioned about how great it was that this guy got a spot on the late late. well i remember too there was a guy not so long ago who couldnt pay his electricity bill, chained himself to the railings of leinster house as far as i can remember, and got himself a spot on the late late. what has happened to him since? the media doesnt give a flying fúck, and neither do most of the general public who have their own concerns!

same thing will happen with this guy, and life moves on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Biggins wrote: »
    To be clear.
    A person on the dole is entitled to a number of days 'off'

LOL, every day on the dole is an off day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

old_aussie wrote: »

I think what this means is that someone who is unemployed can claim dole a certain amount even if they are away or on holidays. They have to inform the SW office and it means they do not lose this money. If someone though just goes away without informing the office, it means they may lose that money as it is not collected.

But who ever heard of the SW office cutting a cheque? I have been on the dole and so have friends and family, none have ever gotten any money directly from the office, it always comes from the post office. I know people who have lost money may go into the office and try and explain and this may result in the money being put back and being able to collect it again from the post office, but I have never heard of any cheques being written in the office. Sounds bizarre. There is probably 5% truth in his story and 95% truth being left out.

The march was against austerity too. Seems a bit of a spit in the face to working people who get no help where as people like this man can well be able to get over 400 a week for family from the Dole, free medical cards, childrens allowance, rent allowance and many other supplements. Compare that to the huge amount of families who work and may live on less money with no assistance from the State.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

old_aussie wrote: »

A day off from being obligated of having to seek work and being available - but I suspect you knew that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭RainbowRose81

jasonc5432 wrote: »
    To quote Wurly...

It is people power and the protest spirit that CREATED this country.
    It may well be a lack of people power standing up for what is RIGHT and a lack of protest against what is WRONG that is DESTROYING this country.

Which side are you on?

I agree but there is very few people like us who see reality and see the way how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pious11

Millicent wrote: »
    So anyone on the dole is not allowed any enjoyment in their lives? Should we stick a fucking bell on them so we know who to spit on as they walk by?

What if they're going down the country somewhere to stay with family? Or dealing with an emergency that's going to be time consuming? Or scraping the pennies together to go away for a short while?

"Sitting on their ass all day"--what a lovely person you are. It sounds like you've never had to deal with the horrible realities of finding yourself unemployed and I sincerely hope you never will. That said, it might help to teach you some empathy.

Damn right, the dole should be cut vastly and they should all be made work for it, i.e. community service or something of the like?

Being unemployed is not enjoyable for anybody, but too many of the dole claimers are lazy and lacking talent and in my opinon undeserving of such generous benefits! Why should we, the working people, pay for a population (the claimants) which are lazy, useless and feel entitled?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭outtagetme

Sounds too conspiracy theoy to me. He was on telly publicly showing he wasn't available for work. Tough luck but if them's the rules.

Aren't you "unavailable" for work when you're sleeping, or on the jacks, or travelling to another interview or in the doctor's office or whatever. What is this definition of "unavailable"? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭outtagetme

pious11 wrote: »
    Damn right, the dole should be cut vastly and they should all be made work for it, i.e. community service or something of the like?

Being unemployed is not enjoyable for anybody, but too many of the dole claimers are lazy and lacking talent and in my opinon undeserving of such generous benefits! Why should we, the working people, pay for a population (the claimants) which are lazy, useless and feel entitled?

What would you propose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Jaysus. What is it with people on Boards! People that are pro legalizing cannabis use the argument that alcohol is more dangerous and is legal and now you are saying ya but the politicians get public money and mess around.

So be angry about both...don't give this guy the a pass because somebody somewhere else is doing something worse. No wonder that country is f**ked

Your arguement makes absolutely no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 johncdub

Hi Guys

I'm currently on a disability payment which has been reduced to E80 per week. The fuel allowance has just ended. I'm Irish and 27.

I have no other income, and I'm unable to pay bills. Having had Cancer 2 years ago, I seem to be extremely sensitive to the cold. I've contacted the SV de P. First time in my life. I need to heat my house, as I've been without heat for 2 months. I'm freezing. I've asked for assistance, and I've told them I'll pay them back when back on my feet.

I wondered if anyone else has ever received assistance from SVP? I'm mortified asking for help, but I have no choice. Do they visit your home, ask for proof of bills, bank account?

PM me if you wish.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

johncdub wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I'm currently on a disability payment which has been reduced to E80 per week. The fuel allowance has just ended. I'm Irish and 27.

I have no other income, and I'm unable to pay bills. Having had Cancer 2 years ago, I seem to be extremely sensitive to the cold. I've contacted the SV de P. First time in my life. I need to heat my house, as I've been without heat for 2 months. I'm freezing. I've asked for assistance, and I've told them I'll pay them back when back on my feet.

I wondered if anyone else has ever received assistance from SVP? I'm mortified asking for help, but I have no choice. Do they visit your home, ask for proof of bills, bank account?

PM me if you wish.

Thanks

hi mate, I would start a new thread on this if I were you. If you start it in AH, you may run the risk of moronic replies, as Im sure you are aware. Where I live, the SVP do call out to people's houses depending on the situation. Not sure about them looking for bank details though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Hi Guys

PM me if you wish.

Thanks

You would be better off asking in here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=861

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Its the same as the time the HSE pulled its adds from Newstalk radio, when they were asking to many questions. This country is rotten to the core.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Hi Guys

PM me if you wish.

Thanks
    You will get replies possibly else where in another forum section - good ones - but I will just briely mention that FIS (Family Income Supplement) might help out too.
    Also, it worth contacting your health board, as sometimes they offer temp or regular financil assistance for people in cases like yourself.

It costs nothing most times to ask anyway. I wish you luck. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement