Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

recommendations and advice on my plan

• 07-05-2012 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hi,

going to the gym now for about 5 weeks never went before, im feeling good so ready to step it up a bit. i have a new plan and started it last week, weaknesses i have would be my biceps and quads everything else is progressing fine.

ok so stats, im 26, 5'8, 81kg 17%bf smoke 20 a day for over a decade now

shoulders: 46
    chest: 40
    biceps: 13
    forearm: 11
    waist: 38
    hip: 36
    thigh: 22.5
    calf: 15

Mon,wed,friday evening: chest, back and legs

Bench press, 3 sets 10/8/6 at 35/40/45 kg

peck deck, 3 sets 10/8/6 at 35/40/45 lbs

incline chest press dumbells, 3 sets 10/8/6 at 14/16/18 kg

flat chest press dumbells, 3 sets 10/8/6 at 14/16/18 kg

supine fly, 3 sets 10/8/6 at 10/12/14 kg

lattpulldowns, 3 sets 10/8/6 at 45/50/55 lbs

seated row, 3 sets 10/8/6 at 45/50/55 lbs

prone fly, 3 sets 10/8/6 at 6/8/10 kg

prone row, 3 sets 10/8/6 at 8/10/12 kg

leg extensions, 3 sets 10/8/6 at 30/35/40 lbs

smith machine squat, 3 sets 10 reps at 30 kg

alternate stepups, 3 sets 10 reps at 15 kg

single leg stepups, 3 sets 15 reps at 15 kg

leg press, 3 sets 15 reps at 70 lbs

repeater lunges, 3 sets 10 reps at 15 kg

leg curls, 3 sets 10/8/6 at 45/50/55 lbs

Romanian dead lift, 3 sets at 20 kg

barbell squats, 3 sets 10 reps at 20 kg

alternate lunges, 3 sets 10 reps at 15 kg

deadlift, 3 sets 10 reps at 20 kg

calf raises, 3 sets 10 reps at 20 kg

tue, thur, sat shoulders and arms

seated shoulder press dumbells, 3 sets 10/8/6 at 12/14/16 kg

frontal raises, 3 sets 10/8/6 at 8/10/12 kg

shoulder shrugs, 3 sets 10/8/6 at 20/25/30 kg

upright row, 3 sets 10/8/6 at 40/45/50 kg

lateral raises cable machine, 3 sets 10 reps at 10 lbs

bicep curls cable machine, 3 sets 10/8/6 at 30/35/40 lbs

tricep pulldowns cable machine, 3 sets 10/8/6 at 40/45/50 lbs

hammer curls, 3 sets 10/8/6 at 8/10/12 kg

ez bar 21's, 3 sets 7 reps at 18 kg

bicep curls dumbells, 3 sets 10/8/6 at 6/8/10 kg

skull crushers, 3 sets at 20 kg

preacher curls ez bar, 3 sets at 18 kg

concentration curls, 3 sets 15 reps at 8 kg

after every session i do core work

ab crunch machine, 3 sets 20 reps at 55 lbs

russian twist, 2 sets 20 reps with medicine ball

medicine ball crunch, 2 sets 12 reps

planks, 2 sets at 30 seconds

will be introducing an hour of cardio in the mornings in about 3 weeks as i'll be out of work for a while so im focusing in on my strength at the minute

changing the diet gradually started up the myfitnesspal thing today so hopefully that will be a good guide, my goal would be to drop a bit of weight not a whole lot im not bothered by it the training and diet will look after that id be more intrested in dropping the body fat and getting lean fit and strong so any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

How long does a workout take you?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭sparks24

the shoulders and arms night takes about an hour and 15

the chest, back and legs takes an hour 45

Seems like a huge amount of exercises. Why are you doing smith machine squats and barbell squats? I think you could handle more weight on your lifts. Have you looked at strong lifts 5*5?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 cavan4liam

I'm sure you've heard of it before but I think the chest/tri/shoulders back/bicep and leg day is the best. One piece of advice to help with the chest (and shoulders by resting them for military presses) is doing flyes before bench press. People will tell you to start with compound movements to help with testosterone but they will also tell you to have brown rice instead of white rice.

Seems like a huge amount of exercises. Why are you doing smith machine squats and barbell squats? I think you could handle more weight on your lifts. Have you looked at strong lifts 5*5?

only started doing squats with this new program last week never did them before. feel i can do more alright im just trying to get my form good so i dont do an injury had a problem with my lower back years ago so dont want to push it too quick but it hasn't being an issue so far

so you think i should cut out alot of the exercises and just up the weight for strong lifts?

• Advertisement

cavan4liam wrote: »
    I'm sure you've heard of it before but I think the chest/tri/shoulders back/bicep and leg day is the best. One piece of advice to help with the chest (and shoulders by resting them for military presses) is doing flyes before bench press. People will tell you to start with compound movements to help with testosterone but they will also tell you to have brown rice instead of white rice.

you can be sure i haven't heard it before very new the weightlifting, so doing the chest/tri/shoulders the same day would be a better combination?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Are you saying flyes are good for the chest because they pre fatigue them before the bench press but also good because they rest the shoulders before military pressing??

OP what do you want to do?? Your program is like a bodybuilder type one but isnt great really. You need to know what you want to do and then program according to that

cc87 wrote: »
    Are you saying flyes are good for the chest because they pre fatigue them before the bench press but also good because they rest the shoulders before military pressing??

OP what do you want to do?? Your program is like a bodybuilder type one but isnt great really. You need to know what you want to do and then program according to that

well i can only do what im told i have no experience with weightlifting untill now

what i want is to be fit and lean with a good shape and definition i wouldn't be bodybuilding in the sense of putting on fake tan and looking at my self in the mirror not my thing

The best thing to do is find a good personal trainer or instructor in your gym and ask them to design you a program and get them to show you how to perform the exercises in it properly.

You will get all sorts of programs recommended on here but if you dont know how to safely perform the exercises on them you are working towards injury

As a beginner you stand to make the most progress in a small space of time if you apply yourself.

think of it as push and pull motions. pushing movements with chest and triceps excercises, pulling movements with bicep and back excercises. If you imagine the excercises in your head youll know what I mean. so all your pushing excercises use the same muscles as does your pulling excercises. use that to your advantage, if u do chest and triceps monday, back and biceps wednesday and legs friday, you're giving all your muscles a weeks rest. of course ur going to be using other muscles each day u excercise but not majorly. I honestly dont think sets and reps dont matter that much its total reps more than anything, if its hard it will do something. I just think of the size of sprinters and marathon runners, high sets and mid range reps work best for me. 2 years ago when I got into weightlifting properly I used to drink 4 litres of milk a day, the pure amount i did each night i worked out meant i didn put on fat, but people couldnt get over the size i gained. A Polish man I worked with even asked me if I was taking steroids!!

In regards to flyes first, my chest is alot stronger than triceps and my arms use to give up before my chest when doing bench press.

Sorry if that doesnt make sense, its rushed!

• Advertisement

ya got the guy in the gym to make me a program thats the second one he did for me, i can do all the exercises with good form he spent a good bit of time with me going through them. was just looking for advice if it was any good or could it be improved or what not because as it stands its the best im going to get as i couldn't design my own for obvious reasons.

I'm giving it a good lash going on nearly two months now and plan a doing alot of cardio with it while i have the few weeks off with no work so i want to make the best of it and do it right

Just saw that you smoke, no one ever mentions that, so do I!

Just saw that you smoke, no one ever mentions that, so do I!

ya not so bad weightlifting but cardio is a bitch over it, thats next for the chopping block after i get the rest sorted out dont want to be trying too much at once

sparks24 wrote: »
    ya got the guy in the gym to make me a program thats the second one he did for me, i can do all the exercises with good form he spent a good bit of time with me going through them. was just looking for advice if it was any good or could it be improved or what not because as it stands its the best im going to get as i couldn't design my own for obvious reasons.

I'm giving it a good lash going on nearly two months now and plan a doing alot of cardio with it while i have the few weeks off with no work so i want to make the best of it and do it right

You are doing way too much work with little weight and its in no real order

Focus on the exercises that get you the biggest bang for your buck

Yes the push/pull, upper/lower body way is good way to choose exercises but not if you are doing it to pick isolation exercises.

Do something like squat +bench+something for your core one day and deadlift+press+something else for your core another day.

If you want to get some gunzz through in some isolation work at the end

If you want to throw in some form of aerobic work then at the end.

Squat, bench, deadlift heavy. At the moment you are benching more that you squat and deadlift.

I play football too but the way I look at it, if your 85% lung capacity is the same as someone elses 100%, what about it!? Hopin to give them up myself this summer, new job, dont tell anyone I smoke so there'll be no temptation! Feel free to ask questions, I love weightlifting but none of my friends do so it'd be great to get talkin to sum1 about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

Lads weightlifting is reserved for Olympic weightlifting, swinging weights around a gym is called weight lifting.

I honestly don't know where to start your programme, was it really constructed by a PT? It looks like you do every exercise in the gym. How long is it taking? 1hr and a 30?

I think it's been said before but I agree you should switch to a compound oriented programme based around the 3 lifts and work some isolation exercises as appropriate around them. Throw some cardio in at the end.

Good lad!

Lads weightlifting is reserved for Olympic weightlifting, swinging weights around a gym is called weight lifting.

:confused:

Advertisement