Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Phonewatch Alarm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,612 ✭✭✭✭altor

Will do Altor, on another topic, do you know anything about astec alarms? A friend has one, he said the battery needed replacing. He replaced it and the system locked, he tried to reset the factory settings. He says the system is now in suspend mode showing C fault on both keypads. Any advice would be greatly received.
    rgds,
    S

As koolkid said powering down the system and powering it back up might clear the fault but to be honest he may need to replace the panel. With replacing the battery in the astec panel it should always be powered down as a shorting of the circuit board can lock the panel which is what i suspect happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Springsteen

Altor,
    The new batteries are in the eircom sensors 5 or 6 days now and are working perfectly. For the first time since moving in to this house 3 years ago, the alarm works perfectly, no status messages or false alarms. Many thanks for all the advice and time, you're a gent. Regarding my mates astec alarm, I have not seen him in a while. I passed on your advice. When I hear back i'll let you know. I fear he may have burnt out a circuit board while changing the battery with the power on!
    Rgds
    Springsteen

Altor,
    The new batteries are in the eircom sensors 5 or 6 days now and are working perfectly. For the first time since moving in to this house 3 years ago, the alarm works perfectly, no status messages or false alarms. Many thanks for all the advice and time, you're a gent. Regarding my mates astec alarm, I have not seen him in a while. I passed on your advice. When I hear back i'll let you know. I fear he may have burnt out a circuit board while changing the battery with the power on!
    Rgds
    Springsteen

Hi Springsteen,

Your welcome, i am happy it is all working for you now. Like they say, its easy when you know how. If you ever have any problems dont hesitate to ask..

Kind regards,

Altor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sarahmurphy

Hi, sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm urgently looking for some help with an eircom phonewatch system as well. I moved into this house 4 years ago and the system was in place but the phone line disconnected. I have the code to turn off the alarm but not the 4 digit code to work the control panel and the previous home owners say they have forgotten it. I have had several problems, which I have mostly got round, but now me and my three kids are being woken every night at 3am with a message about 'system low battery'. Why does it go off at 3am? What can I do. Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Springsteen

Hi Sarah, I had the same problem. On advice from this forum, I removed the front panel from the control pad ( be careful, live electrics, turn off power at fuse box first ), I took out the battery, and went looking for a replacement. My alarm is a concorde style control panel, and the battery was a NP2.1-12 12V,2.1Ah (It was about 6 inches by 2 inches) It cost approx 20euro. It is very easy to replace, just plug it in. The ' System low battery ' warning disappeared. Google concord alarm panel for a picture to see if you have the same system ( the panel is approx 6inches by 7 inches ).
    Good luck,
    Rgds
    S.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your reply! Mine is made by Interactive Technologies, but it is also connected to the mains - great to see that others have tackled this anyway, will have a go at removing cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ray27

Thanks for your reply! Mine is made by Interactive Technologies, but it is also connected to the mains - great to see that others have tackled this anyway, will have a go at removing cover.

i would recommend you pm altor

ray27 wrote: »
    i would recommend you pm altor

Thanks ray27.

Hi, sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm urgently looking for some help with an eircom phonewatch system as well. I moved into this house 4 years ago and the system was in place but the phone line disconnected. I have the code to turn off the alarm but not the 4 digit code to work the control panel and the previous home owners say they have forgotten it. I have had several problems, which I have mostly got round, but now me and my three kids are being woken every night at 3am with a message about 'system low battery'. Why does it go off at 3am? What can I do. Any help appreciated.

Hi sarahmurphy,

This is one of there older alarms. The battery is in the back of the alarm so you will have to take the panel off the wall to get at the battery. You need to release the screws at the bottom and push the panel up off the plate at the back. The alarm is set up that way, thats why it tells you this at 3am. This panel is not in use anymore so getting parts for it is a nightmare.

Thanks Altor! Finally got it sorted, got new battery easily and everything working again. Really delighted :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Altor! Finally got it sorted, got new battery easily and everything working again. Really delighted :)

Your welcome sarahmurphy, glad it all worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cruachan7

Altor - I hope you dont mind another question. I have phonewatch and am looking to lower the volume the beeps make when I set the alarm, when i select "motions on" when Im going out it beeps for a few seconds - at night this is too loud and must be disturbing my neighbours. The panel I have has no display - it is all voice.

Also - I was just looking at your website, I have a fake bellbox on my house with no flashing red lights, would it be possible to have flashing red lights installed but keep it as a fake?

cruachan7 wrote: »
    Altor - I hope you dont mind another question. I have phonewatch and am looking to lower the volume the beeps make when I set the alarm, when i select "motions on" when Im going out it beeps for a few seconds - at night this is too loud and must be disturbing my neighbours. The panel I have has no display - it is all voice.

Always happy to answer questions.

I take it you have a SIMON installed. If you drop the lid on the panel and enter your user code. It will say, please select from start menu, press delete, press option, then enter 01. Press done to accept the change. Any problems let me know.
    Also - I was just looking at your website, I have a fake bellbox on my house with no flashing red lights, would it be possible to have flashing red lights installed but keep it as a fake?

Yes you can. They last about 2 - 3 years.

altor wrote: »
    Always happy to answer questions.

I take it you have a SIMON installed. If you drop the lid on the panel and enter your user code. It will say, please select from start menu, press delete, press option, then enter 01. Press done to accept the change. Any problems let me know.

Yes you can. They last about 2 - 3 years.

Hi Altor, that didnt work. When I enter 01 it says "press again for next option or DONE to delete". I also went to option 42 for speaker volume and ended up pressing done, now the voice is 10 times louder. Do you have any ideas - its a terrible stupid panel.

ignore - i got it, thanks for the help

Hi Altor, that didnt work. When I enter 01 it says "press again for next option or DONE to delete". I also went to option 42 for speaker volume and ended up pressing done, now the voice is 10 times louder. Do you have any ideas - its a terrible stupid panel.

With the speaker volume you need to enter add option 42, 1-8 "04 is standard 08 is loud" done. I could talk you through anything on that panel, you just need to know the codes and how to program it.
    ignore - i got it, thanks for the help

Your welcome, always happy to help..

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

One more for you altor if you wouldn't mind.

I have an old Interactive Technologies PhoneWatch unit installed in 2003. While the unit works well I would like to potentially try and upgrade the unit in a number of ways and was wondering whether any / all of these are possible :

- The unit is currently unmonitored but I am aware that when the monitoring is switched on, then the unit will call the monitoring station when the alarm is triggered. Is it possible to configure the phone number(s) that this unit calls -I would like to have it call my mobile for instance when the unit is triggered. Is this possible ?

- I would like to get an external bell retrofitted. Does this involve direct wiring from the outside bell unit back to the panel, or is the bell unit simply powered and triggered wirelessly by the panel itself ?

Thanks in advance...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

You can just beam it over with a beamer wirelessly, altor correct me!.

re the digi you can add one dat will txt u when activated and also communicate with monitoring station too..
    altor should be able to correct you more.

Kace wrote: »
    One more for you altor if you wouldn't mind.

I have an old Interactive Technologies PhoneWatch unit installed in 2003. While the unit works well I would like to potentially try and upgrade the unit in a number of ways and was wondering whether any / all of these are possible :

- The unit is currently unmonitored but I am aware that when the monitoring is switched on, then the unit will call the monitoring station when the alarm is triggered. Is it possible to configure the phone number(s) that this unit calls -I would like to have it call my mobile for instance when the unit is triggered. Is this possible ?

- I would like to get an external bell retrofitted. Does this involve direct wiring from the outside bell unit back to the panel, or is the bell unit simply powered and triggered wirelessly by the panel itself ?

Thanks in advance...

Hi Kace,

Can you post a picture of the panel you have installed so i can give you more info ? With regard the external bell there would need to be a cable from the panel to the outside bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

Thanks altor - this is the unit.

DSC00344.jpg

DSC00350.jpg

DSC00349.jpg

• Advertisement

Kace wrote: »
    Thanks altor - this is the unit.

Hi Kace,

That is a concord panel. The panel has a dialer built in that can be programmed to dial your phone and emit a series of alarm tones. It will only contact one phone.

The external bell can also be added on to this alarm but a cable will need to be brought from the panel location to where you are putting the external bell.

All the above is possible to do but you will need engineer access to the alarm to change the settings for this to work. I will PM you details of how to get your engineer code off the alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Hello,

We currently have an eircom phonewatch alarm installed at the house, but it's a huge nucience.

A couple of times a day, it starts speaking and says 'Phonecall okay' and disconnects the internet. I also have a feeling that it's making an outgoing call because there are a few numbers unrecognised on the bill ( Could be the monitoring centre)

how do I Stop it from disconnecting the internet? I've no knowledge of this particular alarm as just moved into this house, and I will probably be getting it replaced as it looks ancient.

I'm not 100% sure of the model number, but it's a telecom phonewatch alarm, no screen and was installed on the 25/6/99. it also has a phonewatch sav sticker which says 19/05/06.

Am I better getting a new alarm system installed? (is this one outdated)

cheers,

Kevin.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If its installed since 1999 then replacing would be my recommendation. For now disconnect the phone line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 slutsagusslags

Hi Altor,

I have the same alarm as KACE and I too would like to know how to change some of the settings as the alarm I have inheritted from the previous owner(not now connected to eircom) is beeping and the alarm panel is saying "phone failure trouble".

How do I make the alarm know I want it to now be a standalone alarm.

Thanks for any help in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I have seen something similar happen when no dsl filter was fitted to the alarm

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

sounds like the old da system, for some reason its reporting to the monitoring station. probably will show up 2 numbers a digit or two apart on your bill, primary and secondary numbers. the panel could be goin a bit wonky if its started doin it all by itself but phonewatch could tell you how to switch the reporting off. there are loads of diferant reasons why it would report, ie low batteries, mains fault, phone fault ect.

Kevin! wrote: »
    Hello,

We currently have an eircom phonewatch alarm installed at the house, but it's a huge nucience.

A couple of times a day, it starts speaking and says 'Phonecall okay' and disconnects the internet. I also have a feeling that it's making an outgoing call because there are a few numbers unrecognised on the bill ( Could be the monitoring centre)

how do I Stop it from disconnecting the internet? I've no knowledge of this particular alarm as just moved into this house, and I will probably be getting it replaced as it looks ancient.

I'm not 100% sure of the model number, but it's a telecom phonewatch alarm, no screen and was installed on the 25/6/99. it also has a phonewatch sav sticker which says 19/05/06.

Am I better getting a new alarm system installed? (is this one outdated)

cheers,

Kevin.

Hi Kevin,

It is one of there older alarm systems, you could get them to take the phone numbers out of the alarm so it wont dial into them which is what the alarm is doing.

With regard your internet going this is because no broadband filter is fitted. Your main line goes into the alarm panel and then to the other phones in the house. When it dials into the monitoring station it cuts the line to the other phones so the internet goes down to. With a broadband filter fitted it separates the phone and dsl line so the internet wont go down.

You could get them to install a concord with a receiver that will pick up on the sensors off the old alarm if you wanted to upgrade the alarm.

Hi Altor,

I have the same alarm as KACE and I too would like to know how to change some of the settings as the alarm I have inheritted from the previous owner(not now connected to eircom) is beeping and the alarm panel is saying "phone failure trouble".

How do I make the alarm know I want it to now be a standalone alarm.

Thanks for any help in advance

Hi slutsagusslags,

That is no problem. It is saying that because the alarm is trying to ring the monitoring station but is not seeing a phone line in the panel. You will need engineer access to the alarm to change settings you need changed. Have you any paper work off the alarm or can you get some off the previous owner for me to help you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

altor wrote: »
    Hi Kevin,

It is one of there older alarm systems, you could get them to take the phone numbers out of the alarm so it wont dial into them which is what the alarm is doing.

With regard your internet going this is because no broadband filter is fitted. Your main line goes into the alarm panel and then to the other phones in the house. When it dials into the monitoring station it cuts the line to the other phones so the internet goes down to. With a broadband filter fitted it separates the phone and dsl line so the internet wont go down.

You could get them to install a concord with a receiver that will pick up on the sensors off the old alarm if you wanted to upgrade the alarm.

mm, If I was replacing the alarm how much would it cost to replace the window sensors ect? about 13 windows and two doors. and then maybe a couple of IR, hall downstairs,kitchen and upstairs?

also, maybe three wireless smoke alarms connected to panel >> centre

cheers mate,

Kev

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

give pw a ring and get it sorted over the phone, they will tel you how to remove it from the system, also u should really get it upgraded, all the wires (i persume) are der or holes so not much prob there.. old systems can cause problems, most prob dont meat standards though..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement