Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Work

• 18-04-2012 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi there! I have my place for Masters in social work 2012/2014. Just wondering if anyone can tell me a bit more about the timetable of the course, I know there is a placement in each year and the course is full time - Im just curious to know what full time means in relation to hours monday -friday.

I am a mum of one and will be commuting so I want to be as prepared as possible. Also how accommodating are UCD in relation to placement location - as I will be commuting from Laois I was just wondering if it would be possible to get my placement a bit closer than dublin - obviously I will go wherever I am told to go but if it was possible to get somewhere a bit closer to home it would be a massive help.

On another note anyone who is completing the course at the moment have any tips on helpful texts I can look up before I start - or any advice in general /things you would do differently if you started again! I am in nerd mode - but worked really hard to get the place - I want to give it my best shot!

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

jennyanne wrote: »
    Hi there! I have my place for Masters in social work 2012/2014. Just wondering if anyone can tell me a bit more about the timetable of the course, I know there is a placement in each year and the course is full time - Im just curious to know what full time means in relation to hours monday -friday.

I am a mum of one and will be commuting so I want to be as prepared as possible. Also how accommodating are UCD in relation to placement location - as I will be commuting from Laois I was just wondering if it would be possible to get my placement a bit closer than dublin - obviously I will go wherever I am told to go but if it was possible to get somewhere a bit closer to home it would be a massive help.

On another note anyone who is completing the course at the moment have any tips on helpful texts I can look up before I start - or any advice in general /things you would do differently if you started again! I am in nerd mode - but worked really hard to get the place - I want to give it my best shot!

Thanks!
    Howdy.
    Well done on getting the place. My girlfriend is completing the course now so I'll send her in the direction of this thread to give you more specific tips.
    Offhand, the placement is like a full time job from January to April (pretty much 9-5) although you get every second Friday off (or alternatively a half day every Friday I think).
    And you do have input on where you're put. I'd be surprised if they didn't accommodate you in regards to placement closer to home given your situation.
    The course itself seems pretty full on from September - December and missing/skipping too many lectures is a big no-no so make sure you have your commute timed right (parking in UCD is a disaster).

I can't help with the rest but I'll get my girlfriend to give you more help about books etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jennyanne

thank you so much - that would be greatly appreciated! I can drive if completely necessary but a bus goes from near my house and arrives at half 8 in UCD - so I think that is my best option - I have been up there and parking is a nightmare! Thanks so much again!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Hiya, I finished the masters last year, but I'm currently on my phone so il reply in detail later. If you have any specific questions give me a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Marceyb

Thanks!

hiya
    i'm I also got a place starting september in Galway, I would be very grateful if I could get the same info please as I'm in a similar situation ( have a child) congrats on getting ur place also. Any help would help lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 terri24

Hi guys! I have just finished the Masters in UCD so my info is limited for the person starting in Galway (sorry!) but i'll try send someone in the Galway course towards this post!!

UCD do lectures from September to December and then placement is January to April.
    September to December, UCD expect full attendance, they take a list of who's there in each class & told us they have to tell CORU (the social work registration board when you're qualified) how many days you've missed. It's pretty much 9-5 Monday-Friday... we had a good few Fridays off in first year and every Friday off in 2nd year but you'll need them for assignments so don't see them as days off. The workload is fairly heavy essay and thesis wise but its dooable!

Placement is like a full-time job. You do 9-5 or whatever the agency work (if you work extra hours you get to take it back though). During placement you get every second Friday/ a half day every Friday as a study day as you will have essays during placement. You get to request that your placement is near home and they do their best to accomodate you with it. A good few girls in my class were able to do placements nearer home in both years..... Galway do placements differently. They do their first year placement January - April and then second year is September - December i think!!

As for texts to get, I'd advise you to buy Trevithick's book 'social work skills' as they tell you to buy it in first year anyway. Other books I found useful were Lindsay 'Social Work Intervention'
    Miller 'Counselling Skills for Social Work'
    Howe 'A Brief Introduction to Social Work Theory'
    Thompson 'Understanding Social Work'... they'd be good for introducing you to the different social work theories and methods. Don't get too caught up in reading though.... enjoy your summer, next summer you'll have to be writing your thesis!!!
    Well done on getting your place! If you have any more questions just ask!

• Advertisement

Thank you so much - I really appreciate that - ! I bought the trevithick and the coulshed and orme book to study for the interview so I have both of them to make a start! Congratulations on finishing and enjoy your summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Marceyb

Thank you so much - I really appreciate that - ! I bought the trevithick and the coulshed and orme book to study for the interview so I have both of them to make a start! Congratulations on finishing and enjoy your summer!

thanks a million I think I'm going to relax for the summer lol

I wouldnt go mad on buying books. Most of what you need is only chapters that are either put on Blackboard or photocopied and handied out.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Roberta88

Hi all,

I am applying again for my masters in social work and I was just wondering how you all went about achieving successful places as ill be gutted if I don't get it this year?

Any advice or tips?would be so helpful anything at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mamatee12

hi everyone, i need your help pls because am so confused. i had my HND(higher national diploma) in health and social care in 2009 and trying to do my degree in social work. my challenge is if any school would give me an exemption for one year at least or do i have to start all over again? or do anyone have any idea of any school doing part time in social work? .thanks

• Advertisement

mamatee12 wrote: »
    hi everyone, i need your help pls because am so confused. i had my HND(higher national diploma) in health and social care in 2009 and trying to do my degree in social work. my challenge is if any school would give me an exemption for one year at least or do i have to start all over again? or do anyone have any idea of any school doing part time in social work? .thanks

Hiya,

Your best bet would be to contact the social work adminstration office

(http://www.ucd.ie/appsocsc/postgraduateprogrammes/msocscsocialwork/)

The course is really intensive and I honestly doubt they would give a years exemption. Lots of people come into the Masters course with your diploma.

The course in UCD is a Masters level course. If you are looking for a social work degree, you would need to apply possibly to Trinity, as UCD doesn't offer Social Work at the level 8 degree.

As I mentioned, the social work course is very intensive, and I am unfamiliar of any college offering a part time course in it.

Hope this helps!

thanks. what about social science degree in ucd?

i think UCD offer degree course as social science level 8. in 2yr student can now choose the field they want. like social work, social policy.

Im not sure about social science second years getting to choose their field - but I am pretty positive that you need a masters of social work to register as a social worker and work in Ireland? which would mean an undergrad course (3yrs) and then Masters (2) -

checking with the college is your best best -I dont know where the HND fits on the scale but I know to get into the masters you need a background in social policy and an undergrad- which comes as part of the social science, and I know UCD do provide more coursework that links to social work compared to other colleges providing the social science course!

mamatee12 wrote: »
    i think UCD offer degree course as social science level 8. in 2yr student can now choose the field they want. like social work, social policy.

Not exactly true. If you want to be a social worker, and complete the masters programme in UCD, you need to have a social policy course done. This can be done as part of the Social Science degree course (in UCD) as a major, or as a seperate diploma.

Advertisement