Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micilín's Mucky Miles

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Wow running in Paris- I'm so jealous! Well done you for keeping the training up while away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hi there! Training seems to be going well at the halfway point. Best of luck with the next bit :)

I see you were running in Paris there… we're heading over tomorrow for the match for the weekend and will need to do about 20miles over the few days. Have you any recommendations? Looks like it's going to be cold - won't be putting away the thermal running gear just yet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

The route I followed for the 16-miler was a bit too stressful for an LSR with all the junctions and pedestrians etc.

I would have loved to have run to Versailles and back through the woods and hills, but I chickened out due to not knowing the area at all and having no GPS track to follow.

I found this one when I got back (38km)and I reckon it would be a savage run. It could be shortened by using the Metro. If you have a Garmin I would suggest using the route to create a Garmin course format file (.crs) on gpsies.com and uploading it to your watch. I did it for a few runs in the Dublin Mountains for trails I had never run before and I never got lost.

Tuesday

8 miles General Aerobic to the Phoenix Park and back.

Wednesday

8 miles VO2 Max

This was my first time doing a VO2 Max session. The primary focus of the session is to teach the lungs how to take more air in. So this session was 8 miles in total, the first and last 2 miles being a warmup and cooldown. The heart of the workout is 6 x 800m intervals in which I run at my current 5km race time (7:30min/mile), with a 2-3 minute job between each run.

Thursday

Friday

5 miles Recovery

Saturday

8 miles Recovery and Speed up to the Phoenix Park and back.

Sunday

Rest / Laziness

Monday

23km from Dún Laoghaire up to Three Rock and down to Rathmines. This was a very exciting run, as I was running unfamiliar trails in thick fog. I didn't get lost though!

I have finally made the switch to kms from miles. All these intervals are headwrecking trying to convert between the two units!

Tuesday

11km Recovery and Speed. I didn't help me recover and had no speed. Crap run!

Wednesday

18km Lactate Threshold.

Thursday

Rest + 10km on the bike.

Friday

18km Medium-Long Run. I left the house at 7:45 and just got in to work on time. Perfect running conditions plus eerie fog around Dún Laoghaire harbour.

Saturday

8km Recovery. Ran up to the Dodder and ran alongside it for a while and back down through Dartry. Nice route!

Sunday

I pulled a muscle in my leg on Saturday night and wasn't feeling too well so I gave the Clontarf-Howth Boards 20-miler a miss.

Monday

32km by headtorch home from Dún Laoghaire to Rathmines via Three Rock, Two Rock and Tibradden. I felt really good during this run until I stumbled going across to Tibradden. I really hurt my left knee and twisted my right ankle badly but I kept running until I got home. That's the last time I'm running those trails at night on my own, it's not worth the risk.

I iced my knee and my ankle last night and this morning but walking to the bus stop was a real killer. Had to get a taxi instead :mad:

Apart from the injuries, my muscles have no pain in them whatsoever :) I'll take a few days off and see how I get on.

I've also lost a good kg or two in the past few weeks so I'm feeling quite good :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Must get out for one of our promised runs one of these days :)

Im still only around the corner from you :)

Hope the knee and ankle heal up quickly for you micilin. Some great training going on there.

@Vaggabond

Definitely! Maybe even a run to the Park and back. Have you got a headtorch?! I need to do more running on grass!

@Bally8

Thanks :) I'm still jealous of your duathlon/triathlon training though!

I'm more worried about my knee as it's my bad knee that I hurt. I've been putting plenty of Deep Freeze spray on it, which makes my knee feel really minty, if you know what I mean! The ankle seems to have been just a bad sprain. The plan for tonight was a 13km speed session which I think is a bad idea. I'll do the 13km but at a slow speed.

Tuesday
    10km commute on the bike. I could hardly walk, but had no problem cycling.

Wednesday

20km commute on the bike. I took an extra day of rest today to let my knee and ankle heal.

Thursday
    10km bike commute to work.
    Running: 13km VO2 from Dún Laoghaire to Rathfarnham via Ballinteer. I started this run planning to just do 13km recovery, but a few kms in I had no problems with my knee or ankle so I went ahead and did 5 x 600m intervals at 5km race pace. It worked out well, the hardest interval being up Ballinteer Avenue.

Friday
    Running: 19km Medium-Long Run. Despite being late for work, I couldn't bring myself to cut this run short!

Saturday
    Running:8.05km Recovery and Strides. Nice run up to Rathfarnham and along by the Dodder.

Sunday
    The plan was a 8km - 15km race but my knee was too sore.

Monday

Cycling: 10km commute.

Running: The plan called for 27km, so I ran straight home from work, left the bag there and picked up the headtorch and ran to the Phoenix Park for a full loop and back home again. I ran an extra few kms in the Park as I felt really good, so in the end I did 30.75km, all on footpaths and road. Splits were perfect - I picked up the pace in the last few kms and still felt like I could run another 10! My recovery was really fast too - I had no muscle aches on Monday at all.

Tuesday
    Cycle: 20km commuting

Wednesday
    Cycle: 10km commuting

Running: 14.18km General Aerobic home from work. This felt ridiculously slow!

Thursday

Running: 14.58km VO2 Max (5 x 1000m intervals at 5km-race pace) into work.

This run felt great. I did 2 of the intervals on hills: Taney Hill and Mount Anville Hill. I went faster than 5km-race pace for every single interval, including the ones on hills. I was rosy-cheeked for about two hours though!

Cycling: 10km home from work.

Friday

Running: 19.21km Long-Medium Run into work. Despite the run being 3 seconds per mile faster than the fast end of the prescribed pace, my heart rate was below the lowest end of the prescribed heart rate. It must be a combination of an early morning run and general fitness.

Saturday

Running: 8km recovery around the Phoenix Park. Again, my pace at an average HR of 145bpm today was 1 minute/per mile faster than when I started this plan.

Gym: 30 minutes on the bike with medium resistance. Light weights on the Lateral Pulldown, Chest Press and Shoulder Press. It has been a while since I was in the gym. My weight at the end of the session was 77.8kg.

Sunday

Running: 32.37km Long Run. This was supposed to be 27km with 23km at PMP (5:38min/km) but given how good I feel, I thought it would be a good idea to go with Grahamor, Menoscemo and Oisin11178 and run Clontarf to Howth and back at their planned pace of 5:16min/km - 5:35min/km for 20 miles. According to my Garmin the average moving pace was 5:37 in the end but this included the hills.

I'm not used to running with other people so I found it hard to chat. Lucky for me they did all the talking! I only found the running tough at two points: from the Summit down to the village (I was kind of dehydrated I reckon), and then for about 1km after Sutton back to Clontarf (I had a stitch).

It was good to get some advice from the Ultra runners, especially regarding my PMP. I have decided to revise it, from 5:37min/km down to 5:30min/km. It's not a hell of a lot, but at least it gives me room to slow down on the hills in Connemara.

Gym: I went to the gym and did about 15 lengths of 15m breast stroke in the pool. The sauna was the real reason I was there - I tried a bit of contrast therapy (a few minutes in the heat of the sauna, and a minute under a cold shower). I feel quite good now, but I think I may be a little stiff tomorrow.

I also weighed myself again: today I was 75.2kgs. That's nearly 2.5kgs lighter than 24 hours ago! Given that this has been my goal weight for a few years, I'm going to go further and try and drop to 72.5kg at least by the 1st April.

Garmin Link for today's run

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

This was supposed to be 27km with 23km at PMP (5:38min/km)

Good running today, those hills didn't seem to bother you which is a good sign for Conn!!

BTW why were you targetting 5:38/km as pmp? I just checked mcmillan and see 4hr marathon is a 5:42 average. 5:38 would get you 3:57....anyways I think you have a fair chance of 3:50ish based on todays run.

Whats your plan for this week? I need to do a long'ish mid-week run...

menoscemo wrote: »
    Good running today, those hills didn't seem to bother you which is a good sign for Conn!!

BTW why were you targetting 5:38/km as pmp? I just checked mcmillan and see 4hr marathon is a 5:42 average. 5:38 would get you 3:57....anyways I think you have a fair chance of 3:50ish based on todays run.

Thanks! I calculated 5:38/km for 26.4 miles, not 26.2, given that I'll probably not run a straight line. Legs feel fine today, maybe I should have stuck with you and Oisin for the last 2kms!
    Whats your plan for this week? I need to do a long'ish mid-week run...
    I'll be running 18km Wednesday morning at 6:12-6:47min/km, probably the faster end of it though if we're running together! As long as I end up near a DART station I'm happy enough!

Monday
    Cycle: 20km commute to and from work. Very little stiffness from yesterday’s 20-miler.

Tuesday
    Cycle: 10km commute to work. I left the office at 10pm and was in no mood to do a VO2 max session - gave it a miss and got a taxi home.

Wednesday
    Run: 18km Medium-Long Run with Vagga

An eager Vagga had me meet him at Portobello at 6.10am. We headed down the Canal and then out to Poolbeg Lighthouse in Ringsend. I was very distracted by the views of the city, twisted my ankle and hit the ground. A few minutes of a slow jog and I was alright. The South Bull Wall is just OK for running on, not ideal. A lot of potential for ankle twisting! It was a long-overdue run with Vagga so the time went very quickly. Good pace too, 6:04min/km average. Not bad for only 3 weeks back from injury for Vagga!

Run: 13.47km VO2 max session
    I packed extra running gear with me this morning just in case I felt up to last night’s missed VO2 max. Another long day in the office gave me plenty of time to recover. By the time I finished, it only felt like I had run 13km, not 31km for the day! The mystique of double sessions has been broken for me. It’s not as mad as it’s made out to be, although I won’t be doing it every week, just in emergencies! The 5 x 600m intervals felt very comfortable, never breathing faster than 3 steps/breath.

Thursday
    Run: 6km Recovery & Strides. My shortest run in 7 weeks, but the sun's heat made sure I sweated!

Cycle: 10km commute home

Friday
    Run: 10km Race
    Planning of this ‘race’ was done within the time it took the Garmin to find a satellite: I double-checked what my current PB for 10km was (50:36) and set out a plan of running anything faster than 5:00min/km to beat 50 minutes.

The first 5km were difficult because of rush-hour traffic and lights going against me. I tried a new pacing strategy: at each split I added/subtracted from 50 minutes. The first 5km worked out at:

4:49
    4:48
    4:54
    4:45

To be honest I didn’t make a big effort to slow down to 5:00min/km, I just kept going at that pace as I was still running a comfortable 3 steps per breath. By the time I got to 5km, I had a feeling I could keep going to get under 49 minutes. The splits kept coming under 5min/km so by the time I got to 8km I thought I was in with a chance of sub-48. The last 2km I really went for it. Unfortunately the last 500m was a slight uphill and I had a heart rate of 191 (I’ve a maximum of 192bpm) so finished in 48:01 which is close enough!

4:52
    4:53
    4:41
    4:31

I’m happy with the PB, of course, and also glad I have at least one option for calculating my pacing during races. I was never good at calculating on the go.

Saturday
    Run: 27km Long Run. Met up with some Boardsies who were running from Howth to Bray. Was going to do 32km but was under pressure for the afternoon so I just did the 27km that were on the plan. The pace was pretty fast: 5:40min/km which isn't far off my marathon pace of 5:30. Great weather, great company, comfortable running :)

Sunday
    Walk: 8km with the girlfriend from Marlay Park to Stepaside via Three Rock. Mourne Mountains quite visible, but couldn't see Snowdon :(.

Will be more cautious about over-training this week as I'm quite tired from doing a lot of overtime at work. Just one more week until taper :eek:

Distance|Current PB|Goal PB
    5km|00:23:44 (26.12.11)|00:23:00
    5 miles|00:38:53 (26.12.11)|00:38:00
    10km|00:50:24 (26.12.11)|00:50:00
    10 miles|01:27:00 (16.1.11)|01:20:00
    Half Marathon|0[FONT=verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif]1[/FONT]:56:53 (04.09.11)|01:50:00
    Marathon|04:42:04 (31.10.11)|04:30:00

Distance|Current PB|Goal PB
    5km|00:23:44 (26.12.11)|00:23:00
    5 miles|00:38:24 (02.03.12)|00:38:00
    10km|00:48:01 (02.03.12)|00:47:00
    10 miles|01:27:00 (16.1.11)|01:20:00
    Half Marathon|0[FONT=verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif]1[/FONT]:56:53 (04.09.11)|01:50:00
    Marathon|04:42:04 (31.10.11)|04:00:00

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Great running on Saturday, sorry I was a bit behind when you branched off, see you next time.

Monday
    Cycling: 10km into work.

Running: 10km Recovery
    This was supposed to be Recovery and Speed but I was no mood for strides after leaving the office at 9pm.

Tuesday

Running: 16km VO2 Max
    5 x 1200m @5km-race pace. This felt quite good!

Cycling: 10km home.

Wednesday

Day of Rest :cool: (from running)

Cycling: 20km commuting

Thursday

Running: 18km Medium-Long Run with Vagga. Another great morning run out to Poolbeg Lighthouse and down to Blackrock :)

Friday
    Running: 6km Recovery
    Did strides this morning since I missed them on Monday. What a hot morning!

Saturday
    Running: 32km Long Run
    I was all set to go down to Connemara to do the Choose Your Distance event as part of the Connemarathon but was working until late again on Friday night so I reluctantly stayed in Dublin.

I was in no mood for running the mountains, or from Howth to Dún Laoghaire, so I decided to just go out the door, run for 10 miles and come back.

I ran towards the Phoenix Park, but the traffic lights crossing the N4 didn't go in my favour so I went up the N4, into the War Memorial Gardens, saw that there was a nice cycle lane and footpath along the Liffey, ran that to Chapelizod, over Knockmaroon Hill and continued on along the Liffey all the way to Lucan!

I didn't manage my nutrition/hydration well. I didn't drink a sup of water until 14km which really cost me in terms of HR towards the end of the 32km. It was a negative split by 3 minutes, but it felt really difficult.

Sunday
    Another day of rest. It's officially Taper Time :D

Monday

Cycling: 20km commute

Running: 9.87km Recovery
    I actually did this as part of Rith 2012, a relay run around Ireland collecting money for Irish voluntary organisations. Good fun!

Tuesday

Cycling: 10km to work.

Running: Missed my run as I was working until 10pm :(

Wednesday

Running: 13km VO2 Max into work. Good fun!

Cycling: 10km commute home. Was working until 9.30pm :(

Thursday

Cycling: 10km commute into work.

Runnin: 6km Recovery and Speed. I did the strides at quite a clip. My knee was quite sore at the end.

Friday

Running: The plan was a 5-mile time trial into work. I was dehydrated, hungry and tired, and still thought I could get a PB for 5 miles. I gave up less than 4km in as I was just not feeling it, despite being more or less on target. I would usually berate myself for giving up but I think it was a wise move.

In hindsight, I realised:
    • I hadn't eaten since 3pm Thursday
    • I drank less than a litre of water in the previous 24 hours
    • I ran quite hard less than 12 hours previous.
    • I have done 17 hours of overtime over the past 4 days.
    On the one hand I learned nothing about perseverance and seeing the time trial through. On the other, I learned that I haven't been smart about my first week of tapering and looking after myself.

The plan for the weekend is 5-mile time trial tomorrow (with proper nutrition and hydration today) and 26km Long Run on Sunday.

Work has been mental for the past few months and will be for another one or two, so if I want to give myself the best preparation for Connemara, something will have to change. Don't know what yet!

Edit: New shoes for the marathon just arrived. I now have 7 pairs of Brooks Adrenaline GTS!!

Saturday

5 miles Time Trial, Take 2
    Time: 38:50

Much better than Friday's attempt thanks to proper nutrition & hydration. It wasn't a PB but I was very happy with the effort - 38:50 over nearly 100m of climbing (was in Galway and did the route of the Spiddal 8km race).

Sunday

25.61km Long Run

Had a bit of trouble with my stomach this morning - not from drink! I had a bowl of pasta at 9pm last night without any source of protein. Will try having the pasta at 7pm next week with a bit of meat to help absorb the carbs. Had a big bowl of porridge 90 minutes before the run, went down well!

Anyway the run was OK, despite taking a few wrong turns and having to stop to check out the GPS map on my phone. 3 hail showers, some cold spells and a few spells of splitting sunshine - a lot of weather! Legs felt quite sore at the end. I hope it's from the hills today (175m) and the time trial yesterday.

Good luck at the weekend boss - not a bother on you :cool:

• Advertisement

Work has been mental - no time to update log.

Monday

Tuesday
    Running: 11km General Aerobic and Strides

Wednesday
    Running: 13km VO2 Max (3 x 1600m)
    I've seen this session described as 'brutal'. It was grand. I actually really like these sessions!

Thursday
    Cycle: 20km commuting

Friday
    Running: 8km Recovery & Strides

Saturday
    Rest

Sunday
    Running: 19km Medium-Long Run
    Was in Belfast, ran along the Lagan towpath. Beautiful place to run. First time running with Gel belt. Felt really comfortable! I was looking at HR more than pace. HR on target, pace near Marathon Pace :eek: :D Legs kind of sore Sunday evening, may have been from the bus journey back to Dublin.

Garmin Link

Monday
    Cycle: 20km commute

Tuesday
    Running: 10km Recovery
    Had laptop in my running bag!! Hard to keep the HR down because of the weight and the heat.

Wednesday
    Missed my run because of travelling to Belfast, again!

Thursday
    Running: 11km Dress Rehearsal
    3km warmup, 4km PMP, 3km cooldown.
    PMPs felt very comfortable (one breath every four steps)

Have had a mental week so far. Not conducive to tapering or marathon preparation. Big deadlines at work. Did a proofreading course in Belfast on Thursday so have travelled a lot already. Have dropped 4kg in the space of a week :eek: Don't know if that's good. This is the lightest I've been since I was 18 :)

Can't believe the race is 48 hours away :eek::eek: Time to get excited!

Best of luck on Sunday Micilin, you have done some great training. Enjoy it and you will reap the rewards:)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

Go n-eireoidh leat Dé Domhnaigh, bá bhreá liom é a dhéanadh ach b'fhéidir an bhlian seo chugainn nuair a bheidhs mo gluaine in ann aige.

Ádh mór leat!!

Go raibh maith agaibh! On the train now. Missed yesterdays 8km as I didn't want to aggravate my first sore throat in 12 months. Feeling much better and rested today. Moderately large pasta feed for lunch today and then a 6km run.

3:56:08 :-)

Pre-Race

Dodgy stomach (as usual).
    Porridge, toast, coffee and apple juice for breakfast.
    2 bananas in the 2 hours before the start.
    750ml water

Over the race itself I had 4 litres of water and 4 Isogels.

My pacing strategy was to run between 5:30 and 5:41min/km (3:52 – 4:00hr marathon time), running the faster KMs in the first half and giving myself time to tackle the hills at a comfortable pace in the second.

0-10.5km
    These KMs were easy enough. I settled into a rhythm early and remembered what P&D said about conserving mental energy during the first half for the second half. For me this was focusing on the pace and ensuring that I wasn’t going too fast. Quite a lot of people passed me on this section (including a hipster-looking fella wearing Levis 501s and retro glasses), but I was happy to have space for myself, something I didn’t have in the crowds of the DCM.

During the first KM I had a brainwave for an arithmetic plan and I kept with it for nearly all of the race. My first KM was 5:29min, the second at 5:27min. So at the end of the 1st KM I had -1 second in my head, and at the end of the 2nd KM I had -4 seconds to remember. I kept going adding and subtracting each split to this tally, which was to be added to 3hr52min at the end. It didn’t take a lot of energy to do the maths (I am relatively arithmetically challenged!) so it’s something I will use again.

Finished this section congratulating myself on doing 25%! Felt like a big percentage compared to how good my legs felt.

10.5-21km
    The start of this section was the right-hand turn towards Leenane. The first bit was uphill and the rest had a bit of a headwind. I tucked in behind bigger runners for shelter and started passing a few people on the hill. The leading female ultra passed me a little bit before Leenane but wasn’t much faster. I noticed everyone sticking to the right-hand side of the road (probably because of the road traffic), but I took as straight a race-line as possible, moving whenever there was traffic. It started getting very warm at this point. The atmosphere in Leenane was great, plenty of locals out! My time going through the half-marathon mark was bang-on target for 5:30min/km pace which was a nice surprise.

21-31.5km
    From Leenane up to the 20-mile mark was great. My plan was to follow P&D’s guideline of not letting the pace slow down from a lack of concentration. I also wanted to allow myself a little bit of extra time for the hill, but it only amounted to two kilometres of 5:43 and a 5:49. I passed out more and more people, (including the leading female ultra a few times) and before I knew it I had reached the 20-mile mark.

31.5-42km
    I pictured myself running my 10km home from work which made me realise how little was left to the finish line. To be honest, all I can remember from this point was just passing nearly everybody in sight (mostly half-marathoners). There were quite a lot of walkers on the HOTW, more than I saw last year during the half. I allowed myself to slow down by one minute per km and right enough my heart-rate barely went higher than average. The first km down from the HOTW was slower than I had hoped, probably because I had lost my rhythm slightly. But as I felt good I just pushed harder, bringing my pace down to 5:23 and 5:06, and then 4:42 for the final 330 metres (close to my 5-mile race pace!). I think I was only passed by 3 runners (ultras) in the final 20km. The race couldn’t have been more perfect for me - no wall, stomach cramps,twisted ankles or demons telling me I couldn’t do it! One to remember.

Garmin Link

Having had the goal for the past 18 months of completing one marathon and doing a sub-4 marathon, I'm suddenly in no-man's-land. A sub-3 hour marathon would be one thing I would love to achieve some time in my life, but obviously that's not going to happen any time in the next few years! So in the grand scheme of things it's all about bringing down the marathon time bit by bit.

In terms of another goal for 2012, I have been contemplating the Dingle Marathon for a number of reasons: great scenery, tough hills, and it fits in nicely in the calendar, giving me plenty of time to recover from Connemara. No alternative marathons appeal to me for 2012. On the other hand, maybe now would be a good time to take a break from marathons and focus on building speed over shorter distances.

The Dún Laoghaire Bay 10km on the August Bank Holiday would be nice. It's local, there are a few 'hills', and I have my eye on a 12-week plan by P&D. My 10km PB is 48:01 which is my best PB over the various distances according to McMillan. Maybe I could bring that down to 45 or more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Nice report Micilin, congrats on a great race

• Advertisement

Just checked the final results and I got a 60-second PB for Half-Marathon (1:55:53) and got a 45:55-minute Marathon PB of 3:56:09.

Of the four marathoners who passed me in the second half, three had a negative split, one of them by 4 minutes :eek:!

I came in the top 36% of the marathon field :D, much better than my top 74% of DCM 2011!

Edit: And better than my top 93% in DCM 2006!

Advertisement