Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Game podcasts

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Syferus wrote: »
    Weekend Confirmed is hosted by Garnett Lee, the host of 1UP Yours back in in its heyday. Jeff Cannata and him make a good core pairing for the show and you'll here plenty of familiar voices from the 1UP days popping up now and then, even if they have a little too much time for comedians-turned-games-commentators.

On the whole it's good. Garnett and Jeff know their stuff and a very passionate. "Indie" Jeff Matthas is now a regular too and is a good contributor. Sometimes they get industry people on which makes for a lively debate. But yeah they have a habit of recurring guests who are pretty weak. Its still one of the better games podcasts out there and one I would try not to miss.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

If any of you have any interest in League of Legends, i recommend trying Low Elo, hosted by a few guys/gals from the states and can be a little childish at times but some good topics covered and they try stay in touch with their reviewers etc which is quite good :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Podtoid (destructoid's podcast) is really good these days. They have a fine balance between off-the-wall lunacy (such as Wiliem Defoe movie pitches and constant anal sex references :P) to brilliant games analysis (such as an hour long discussion on art-games and David Cage).

Hosted by Jim Sterling (angry British man who does The Jimquisition over on The Escapist) and co-hosted by Johnathan Holmes (who's ethnicity is a long running mystery) and often guests from the destructoid team.

It has an explicit tag for a reason, if you're easily offended then steer well clear. But personally I think it's great.

Apart from that, I've really gotten into The Geekbox. Totally different to Podtoid. Very straight, serious news type show, but they still can go off topic and have a laugh as well.

I'll give a +1 to the IGN UK Podcast, and also another plug for the AU Pubcast, which is fast becoming the best of the IGN podcasts.
    I recommended IGN Unlocked before, but they've got a new head editor in from OXM and I haven't warmed to him at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Agricola wrote: »
    On the whole it's good. Garnett and Jeff know their stuff and a very passionate. "Indie" Jeff Matthas is now a regular too and is a good contributor. Sometimes they get industry people on which makes for a lively debate. But yeah they have a habit of recurring guests who are pretty weak. Its still one of the better games podcasts out there and one I would try not to miss.

100% agree. It's strange because in the last few episodes they've appeared Christian Spicer especially, and Andrea Rene, have been continually rubbished by Garnett and the Jeffs. It was worse last year when they seemed to be letting them away with clangers left right and center. There's a morbid fun in listening to them essentially explaining why they're so wrong it physically hurts.

Garnett deserves such a massive amount of credit for the show - ever since the 1UP Yours days he's been able to find interesting voices and draw out the best from them, and it's certainly continued into Weekend Confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Chools

Thought I'd Chime in, Although a few of my favourites have been mentioned already, such as GameScoop, Podcast Beyond and Giant Bombcast.

Highly recommend The Game 'Shroom on Irishpodcastnetwork.com , Entertaining and fairly unique in it's structure, the lads each do a spoiler free review of games new and old every week, and they have some craic.

The Comedy Button isn't really games related, but it's hilarious and its hosts include 2 IGN guys and Max Scoville from Destructoid. It's the spiritual successor to the gamespy debriefings too, although that wasn't really games related either at times.

Rebel fm is good too, more informal chats about games.

Also a tip, If you want to listen to the gamespy debriefings, I suggest from around ep. 110 on, when it gets really funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 ByronFrump

cloud493 wrote: »
    A life well wasted is fantastic
    Rebel FM
    Podcast beyond
    The old gamespy debriefings..

And you should listen to the comedy button.

Perfect set of suggestions. Would also add, that if you don't mind listening to out of date stuff, the Rebel FM crew and others were involved in 1UpYours, and 2Guys1Up back in the day.

There's also 'Out Of The Game' - hasn't been updated recently, but truly excellent show, also by ex 1up folks.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I must say, I was wrong about Ryan McCaffrey. He's really made IGN Unlocked his own in the last few months, and I'm really starting to like it. Some of the interviews he's done have been nothing short of top class. In particular, his interview with Randy Pitchford last week was amazing, an hour and fifteen minutes of fascinating discussion.

Advertisement