Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Server

• 11-04-2012 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking to pick up a cheap second hand server, basically just to play around with and gain a bit of exposure to the hardware and software. I'm budgetting for about €150 or less for this. Anyone know a good place to pick one up or know anyone who might be selling one?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭tech

hi I have the following
    <SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭tech

or this
    <SNIP>

or

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

Here's a Dell poweredge 1750 for 90 odd. No os though, but 4 gb of memory.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/computers/3171669

Given that tech's machine includes an os, it might suit you better.

Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

make sure it takes x64 OSes(Windows 2008 upward),otherwise you'r stucked in the Server 2003 x32 OSes only !

rolion wrote: »
    make sure it takes x64 OSes(Windows 2008 upward),otherwise you'r stucked in the Server 2003 x32 OSes only !

Windows is not the only Server OS! :D

HP have had deals in the last couple of years with their entry level boxes, might be worth keeping an eye out.

If you cannot get your hands on your desired hardware, in the mean time you can get some exposure to the software end with a simple solution such as VirtualBox with fixed sized storage, bridged, whilst following tutorials such as in Serverwatch and howtoforge and unix.com is one of many sites worth a gander now and then.

For reference it might be beneficial to create an evernote account and clip the relevant notes which have aided you so you can use these again in the future if needed.

And have fun!

• Advertisement
Advertisement