Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Cup Night - Meydan

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭newuser89

joseph o brien is a great young jockey and will be a top jockey for years to come
    no problems with his performances yesterday
    stop talking through your pocket and get over it
    he will be your best freind at royal ascot probably

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 gcy1980

I disagree with the assertion of him been a top jockey for years to come. Not on the flat anyway! Too much weight will be his problem.
    Also if you can't see faults in his rides yesterday you really are missing something. Did you think that his ride on Await the Dawn was good?? I didn't back any of his horses,by the way. And he probably will be my best friend come Royal Ascot because anything that is strictly not a steering job, I'll be laying!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

gcy1980 wrote: »
    The simple question to ask is "Would Ryan Moore have won on St Nicholas Abbey?" And the simple answer is "More than likely"! The best jockeys in the world can get the second or third best horses in a race to win from time to time but they, 99.99% of the time, win on the best horse in the race. For me Joseph O Brien is not in this category!! And for the biggest breeding operation and stable in the world, that is not good enough. I didn't back him either. I have an aversion to backing horses when I'm worried about a jockey!

I disagree, you assume because Ryan Moore is a more experienced jocked that he isn't constrained by instructions and running styles of his horses. I backed Sooraah in the Winter Derby ridden by Moore. Tell me that he is less responsible for riding the race the way he had to. Sooraah has a way of riding and so does St. Nick. Both horses were beaten by how their races were run.

Incidentally, why are we all slating O'Brien when we could actually be praising Peslier for riding a brilliant race. He did and that doesn't make O'briens ride bad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Please don't insult other posters. Next person who is rude or insulting will receive an infraction. C.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Nulty wrote: »
    Incidentally, why are we all slating O'Brien when we could actually be praising Peslier for riding a brilliant race. He did and that doesn't make O'briens ride bad.

That's what annoys me most about the armchair jockeys... here we had a great horserace, thrilling finish, thoroughly enjoyable to watch... and all the talk afterward is the 'Down with this Sort of Thing' Brigade having a whinge...

Some people just shouldn't gamble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭BangBeater

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    That's what annoys me most about the armchair jockeys... here we had a great horserace, thrilling finish, thoroughly enjoyable to watch... and all the talk afterward is the 'Down with this Sort of Thing' Brigade having a whinge...

Some people just shouldn't gamble.

Spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

I think O Brien is a decent jockey but he wont be a top flat jockey for only one reason, his weight.

He stands 5 10 and has to do 9 stone, there is no way he can much muscle so will be a lot weaker than the smaller jockeys. I am 6 0 and I can get down to about 13st 7 before my muscles start to waste and this is my natural build not muscle I put on in the gym. One of my pals is 6 1 and looks very unhealthy and with little muscle and he is 11st 5.

Big Mc made a good point on ATR about raising the min weights like they have done here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

2 horses shattered front legs and another 1 0r 2 injured on the turf not a good advertisement,was the course watered

Advertisement