Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specific exercise to target belly!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭rocky

martomcg wrote: »

let me correct myself "nobody Women/girls should lift heavy." unless they're looking to build/maintain muscle.

That's what the OP is advised to do, build muscle...

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

You and many others are wasting your time.

That's an absolutely ridiculous 'blanket' statement to say i'm wasting my time, along with everyone else who uses high reps.

Different types of training calls for different things, surely a 'mod' of a fitness board would know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

rocky wrote: »
    That's what the OP is advised to do, build muscle...

advised by some, diet is more important that lifting weights is the point i'm trying to put across (albeit maybe not getting my point across in an effective manner)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

high reps are 100% NOT a waste of time - it depends on what youre trying to achieve.

Boxers use high reps.

I worked with an irish rower who competed at Beijing olympics, he used to do 1000 reps at a time! In the top 10 at his event in the world.

This thread has derailed.

Back to OP. Have you ever considered that your body has been conditioned to store food as much as possible? Youre underfeeding it regularly so when you do overeat your body stores as much as possible! Try eating smaller,more frequently for a few months. See if that changes anything.

If not, look for the Intermittent Fasting thread on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Thanks to everyone for their advice. Unfortunately I'm a little bit confused. Sorry if this post is long but there are a few questions I have.
    I'm a 5"6' male who weighs 60kg, with roughly 12-15% b/f and my current calorie intake is only 1400 (on a cut for hols) so as a girl you could comfortably restrict your calories to 1200. My guess is that your not properly portioning your food and so not fully aware of how much your actually eating.

(I was shocked when i started reading calories on foods and weighing pasta/rise, turned out i was eating 20-50% more calories a day than i thought i was.)

Stick with cardio and light weights and get your diet in check and you'll see a massive difference! Drink minimum 2 liters water a day too and it will show a difference - massively reduces water retention = increase in definition.
    For the stomach it really is more about your diet.

Calories out > Calories in

If fat around the abdominals really is more to do with diet then I'm concerned I'll never be able to shift it. Unfortunately, for health reasons, it's just not possible for me to consciously reduce my calorie intake to 1200 a day. I have a health issue that results in regular weight loss and I often fall below the minimum weight for my height very quickly. There have been times I've lost a stone in a week. I have been advised by a dietician and doctors to gain weight so that I have a 'reserve' weight for these situations. Also, I just don't like being thin, as surprising as that may be to some! :cool:

I am aware of portioning and I can guarantee that my calorie intake is very low. I have a terrible appetite and often eat less than what I put up as an example. :(
    O.P can i suggest pilates? i have found my stomach has gotten stronger and leaner and feels flatter after starting it. My diet didn't change too dramatically, although it was pretty good to start. might be worth looking into

Yes I have heard pilates is great for core strength. This is definitely something I will look into. Would doing exercises like the plank and sit-ups be any good?

Back to OP. Have you ever considered that your body has been conditioned to store food as much as possible? Youre underfeeding it regularly so when you do overeat your body stores as much as possible! Try eating smaller,more frequently for a few months. See if that changes anything.

If not, look for the Intermittent Fasting thread on here.

I think this is very possible. I do go through periods where I basically stop eating and then lose weight very fast and when I'm better I try to gain weight quickly so I take loads of shakes and supplements and end up yo-yoing constantly. Now that said my sister and my mum have very similar shapes and neither have health issues so I do think a part of it is genetic.

So I suppose I'm confused as to what to do now. Cutting my calorie intake just can't be an option for me. Sorting out my diet can most definitely and I will check the stickies for diet advice.

If I start with some cardio and hopefully increase my protein as well as doing weights should I see my shape start to change?

And what kind of weights are we talking here? There's dispute over heavy vs. light and tbh I don't even have a notion what weights I would use in either situation. Can you use weights for your tummy? Or should I only use weights on my legs? I want to get stronger (but not very muscly) legs and balance that with a slimmer, flatter tummy. Kind of like the transform pic that was posted but on a much smaller scale.

Also, what is intermittent fasting? The problem with me cutting my meals into sizeable chunks is that I do drink high protein, high energy (prescription) shakes that would be over 300 cals each. I'm in good health at the moment so I'm okay to do exercise and get fit but my appetite just isn't great anyway so these shakes really help me maintain my weight.

Sorry for the long post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78163505

That is the main thread on intermittant fasting

Essentially it works like this

Eat for 8 hours and fast for 16hrs

On your training days eat slightly above maintenance calories
    On non training days eat under the maintenance calories

As for training. Building more muscle burns more fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

This thread is an absolute trainwreck (my post will probably not help this!!! :/)! It can be seen that everyone means well but dear god its mental!! OP, it could be diet, it could be structural, it could be genetics! Looking at your diet I'd be hazarding a guess that it's your main problem!

I do eat a lot of protein but carbs too I suppose.

You really don't eat alot of protein, or anything for that matter. I know you take shakes for health reasons, nothing wrong there but they're supplements & shouldn't be really replacing anything, they should be adding to your diet!
    Daily diet is hard to say as my eating is very erratic tbh.

This doesn't matter (to an extent) aslong as you're getting your calories & macros in, in the day! You could do it in 1 sitting or as many meals as you need, but it can be done. As Ferike has put up the intermittent fasting post, thats an example of a different way of doing things that seems to be getting more & more popular!
    I suppose I'd start with nothing really, I tend to skip brekkie,
    This is a good place to start! Eat something for breakfast! Start with a protein source, eggs & meat! Omelettes & meat are the greatest breakfast food ever....right after steak! :D
    then have a lunch maybe of a toasted sandwich with ham and cheese. That's only sometimes though. I eat the odd yoghurt.

So you never have breakfast & you only sometimes have lunch?? Again,it's not essential, you could fit your diet into intermitent fasting the way this is going, but you still need to eat clean ,the correct amount of calories & macro's! A toasted ham & cheese isn't the best option! Where's the Fruit & veg? How much ham? What type of ham is it? Eat more meat! Steak?
    For dinner I'd always have meat of some kind, usually red meat or poultry and lots of green and orange vege. with potatoes or sometimes rice.

Now we're talking! How much meat? How much Veg?
    Evening I may have eggs of some type.

May? so would you eat something every evening or just eggs occassionly? Steak??

So as advised by most people, start with your diet!

Edit: I have more to write (I probably shouldn't :/) but have to get back to work, for the people in the know what would they suggest in the way of cortisol & how it stores fat in this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

BUMP! :)

I just joined the gym for a trial month. I have my first introductory training session with the PT tomorrow and would like some advice on what to ask for.

Burkatron wrote: »
    This thread is an absolute trainwreck (my post will probably not help this!!! :/)! It can be seen that everyone means well but dear god its mental!! OP, it could be diet, it could be structural, it could be genetics! Looking at your diet I'd be hazarding a guess that it's your main problem!

Sorry for the really late reply Burkatron! Should I be totally clamping down on carbs and processed foods?

You really don't eat alot of protein, or anything for that matter. I know you take shakes for health reasons, nothing wrong there but they're supplements & shouldn't be really replacing anything, they should be adding to your diet!

I realise they're ideally used as supplements; however on days where I don't feel too good I am supposed to use them as meal replacements. It beats me eating nothing. They're nutritionally complete and can be used as a sole source of nutrition so I'd assume they're healthy enough. Of course, I know that eating real good food is much better.

This doesn't matter (to an extent) aslong as you're getting your calories & macros in, in the day! You could do it in 1 sitting or as many meals as you need, but it can be done. As Ferike has put up the intermittent fasting post, thats an example of a different way of doing things that seems to be getting more & more popular!

Great, I think intermittent fasting may actually suit my lifestyle!
    This is a good place to start! Eat something for breakfast! Start with a protein source, eggs & meat! Omelettes & meat are the greatest breakfast food ever....right after steak! :D

So you never have breakfast & you only sometimes have lunch?? Again,it's not essential, you could fit your diet into intermitent fasting the way this is going, but you still need to eat clean ,the correct amount of calories & macro's! A toasted ham & cheese isn't the best option! Where's the Fruit & veg? How much ham? What type of ham is it? Eat more meat! Steak?

Okay I guess I thought my diet was healthier than it actually is... processed sliced ham and no real fruit or vege... :eek: So an overhaul of my diet is necessary, but regarding the exercise regime what specifically should I be doing?

Edit: I have more to write (I probably shouldn't :/) but have to get back to work, for the people in the know what would they suggest in the way of cortisol & how it stores fat in this case?

I'd love a detailed breakdown of what I need to ask my trainer/do in the gym to achieve what I want... a tall order :D

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Doc Daneeka

Be clear with your trainer on what you want and voice your concerns and they should give you good advice.

For what it's worth it sounds to me like you struggle to keep weight on but have that difficult bit that stays on the belly. You most likely need to clean up diet a little bit as previous posters suggest try and add more protein. Particularly if you now go training as a calorie deficit isn't just going to burn fat but muscle too which you won't want. It's not about eating less but more of the right stuff. A high carb diet may be contributing to the belly fat... not sure if there is science to back that up but I'm sure someone can comment.

Cardiovascular only probably will do as you fear and lead to mass loss on legs as well as belly. To change shape you need to incorporate weights and heavy ones. Anything you can do for more than 10 to 12 will only work endurance but not shape. You want better lower body shape... then do weights. No need to worry about getting too muscular... its not easy for women to bulk without added 'supplements'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

It's very hard for women to 'get big' from weight training. Our hormones just don't allow it.

In fairness, its not exactly a piece of cake for men either. If it was there would be more Justin Statham lookalikes wandering around. Many people think a few weights sessions and they will have big arms. I wish it was that easy. I tried getting my girlfriend into weights, but she "didn't want to get too muscular".

When will this myth end?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

syklops wrote: »
    In fairness, its not exactly a piece of cake for men either. If it was there would be more Justin Statham lookalikes wandering around. Many people think a few weights sessions and they will have big arms. I wish it was that easy. I tried getting my girlfriend into weights, but she "didn't want to get too muscular".

When will this myth end?

I think it's getting better but there's still a long way to go.

Thankfully I've found some good trainers lately that are actively encouraging women to use heavier weights.

Advertisement