Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milan San Remo...

• 03-03-2012 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

I am not from the west but will be in Galway on Paddys day.. Does anyone know of a pub where a group of us could watch the race without it being A. switched over to muck and schtick ball and B. where wont be very crowded and require a tin opener to get into ?

Cheers all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I am not from the west but will be in Galway on Paddys day.. Does anyone know of a pub where a group of us could watch the race without it being A. switched over to muck and schtick ball and B. where wont be very crowded and require a tin opener to get into ?

Cheers all.

Bring a laptop, find a WiFi spot & watch online on <snip> . Otherwise its gonna be a weekend of GAA-TV :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Irish pub, Paddy's Day, GAA and Cheltenham too. Unlikely.
    Search for Italian wine and bistro or similar from room service.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Bring a laptop, find a WiFi spot & watch online on <snip>

We cannot allow any links to potentially copyrighted streams

Any questions, contact SS;)

OK, cool. understood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Most answers are for question a). I'd say that the answer to question b) is "no chance unless you stay in your hotel room (or wherever...)"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

There is also 3 6 nations matches aswell.
    Give Nigel's Cycles a call and ask the lads have they any recommendations. Might know somewhere which might have a television that could be turned over in a corner if there are enough of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭mediwheel

Slight change of subject !
    I'll be in Sanremo for the finish, any tips for the winner ? Was thinking of doing a bet for the kids to make it more interesting for them ??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CtrlAltDelete

Thank you all.

I figured as much.

I will give Nige a call though.Very sound chap. As for the winner.. Freire I reckon if the Poggio is attacked hard enough by the others. Love this race. Kellys decent in 92.. what a rider he was. The general Irish public have no idea of what the man achieved...lets all play bog ball and become a hometown hero !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Kellys decent in 92.. what a rider he was. The general Irish public have no idea of what the man achieved...

I didn't realise until watching Eurosport yesterday, that Roche and Kelly combined won every major race in cycling except Flanders. Amazing.

I wonder why Kelly never won Flanders...:rolleyes:. . . . :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

"Bog ball"? "Muck and schtick ball"?

A love of cycling and a love of Gaelic games aren't mutually incompatible. If you don't have enough love to go around, you're as guilty as the "general Irish public" you're pouring scorn on.

For info, the Cheltenham Festival will finish the day before but there will be the usual saturday racing, England v Ireland in the rugby is at 5pm (preceded by two other matches, including the likely championship decider between Wales and France at a quarter to three), the muck and schtick ball is at 2pm (no Galway team - lucky for you) and the bog ball is at 3.45.

And yes, Kelly's descent off the Poggio in 1992 was unbelievable. Argentin surprised to see anyone but he visibly deflated when he saw who it was. He looked nailed to the ground in the two-up sprint.

I wonder why Kelly never won Flanders...:rolleyes:. . . . :)

And Sean Kelly has said he'd have surrendered one of his Paris-Roubaix or LBL wins to have won Flanders instead. He was second in RvV on three occasions: 84, 87 and 88 - SO close to a full scoop of the Monument classics

hats off manwithaplan..good post.your right..and if I am honest the love does go around and I have the utmost respect for any person that breaks a sweat in a sporting capacity. It just gets to me at times all the coverage certain sports get in Ireland compared to our own sport of cycling for example.

Kelly coming off the Poggio and his calmness in the last km is for me one of the best sporting moments in Irish history.. I am not saying 'the best' because that decision is made on personal opinion but it was unreal. Watch it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL3jQmkj3uI

I believe while being interviewed after the race Kelly was asked about the decent to which he replied ' some days you take more risks than others but today I took them all'. Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭elduggo

hats off manwithaplan..good post.your right..and if I am honest the love does go around and I have the utmost respect for any person that breaks a sweat in a sporting capacity. It just gets to me at times all the coverage certain sports get in Ireland compared to our own sport of cycling for example.

so you think TV stations should show cycling to keep the (relatively) few cycling fans happy? Even though theres already fairly extensive coverage on European channels? Really? Sorry but thats ridiculous.

The club finals will be shown on Tg4, hardly a mainstream channel. Perhaps your problem is moreso with pubs showing GAA over showing cycling. But, seeing as cycling isn't really going to attract punters in to watch it, it makes a whole lot of sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

A love of cycling and a love of Gaelic games aren't mutually incompatible.

Correct - now a love of cycling and a love of golf is a different matter.

elduggo wrote: »
    so you think TV stations should show cycling to keep the (relatively) few cycling fans happy? Even though theres already fairly extensive coverage on European channels? Really? Sorry but thats ridiculous.

The club finals will be shown on Tg4, hardly a mainstream channel. Perhaps your problem is moreso with pubs showing GAA over showing cycling. But, seeing as cycling isn't really going to attract punters in to watch it, it makes a whole lot of sense to me.

elduggo... ya... whatever..:rolleyes: As for the club finals..TG4 is the place for them..in fact I would consider TG4 mainstream.. it is as mainstream in our country as GAA is in Europe..thats just to put it into context for you.. Perhaps we could take a leaf from some other countries books and do as they do in the States for example and show varied sports in different parts of the bar. There are certainly some bars in Galway large enough to do this.

As for 'the punters'.. you might be surprised at the amount of people that would watch an international sport with an a number of Irishmen competing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭furiousox

nak wrote: »
    I didn't realise until watching Eurosport yesterday, that Roche and Kelly combined won every major race in cycling except Flanders. Amazing.

Of the 4 Irish pros in the peloton in 1987 (Kelly, Roche, Earley and Kimmage) Kelly and Roche were 1 & 2 in the UCI rankings.
    Incredible!

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭elduggo

elduggo... ya... whatever..:rolleyes: As for the club finals..TG4 is the place for them..in fact I would consider TG4 mainstream.. it is as mainstream in our country as GAA is in Europe..thats just to put it into context for you.. Perhaps we could take a leaf from some other countries books and do as they do in the States for example and show varied sports in different parts of the bar. There are certainly some bars in Galway large enough to do this.

As for 'the punters'.. you might be surprised at the amount of people that would watch an international sport with an a number of Irishmen competing.

well lets stick with cycling. Please enlighten me.

Your jibes on Tg4 are laughable. Apart from a 30 minute Ras highlights program on RTE, Tg4 is the only Irish station that shows cycling.

Thanks for putting it into context for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Anyone who misses the live coverage of the pro event due to other sports can see me conquer the poggio on the msr sportif on June 10th. Guaranteed to excite and amaze at my (lack of) grace and pace!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭Plastik

****** **** ****, I deliberately didn't check any of the cycling sites today. I set the sky box to flick over the Europort at 7.30 so I could watch and enjoy the highlights. And then RTE news decide that they now cover cycling - so I know who won, and I know where Roche rolled in.

<sigh> suppose I'll watch it anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭happytramp

Plastik wrote: »
    ****** **** ****, I deliberately didn't check any of the cycling sites today. I set the sky box to flick over the Europort at 7.30 so I could watch and enjoy the highlights. And then RTE news decide that they now cover cycling - so I know who won, and I know where Roche rolled in.

<sigh> suppose I'll watch it anyways.

Paris-Nice has been scheduled to be shown on Eurosport 1 today and yesterday. As yet there's still no sign of either of the sets of highlights they promised me :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭Plastik

Eh, I'm watching it on Eurosport at the moment ! Started about 15 minutes behind schedule though.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Please keep comments on Paris/Nice to the relevant thread, and use spoilers as required

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭happytramp

Plastik wrote: »
    Eh, I'm watching it on Eurosport at the moment ! Started about 15 minutes behind schedule though.

I must have some rubbish version of Eurosport that's showing classic wrestling instead :(

Advertisement