Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scrap yards in Dublin which pay you for your car

• 04-02-2009 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Looking for a couple of names of scrap yards in Dublin which would give you money for a crashed car and if so an idea of how much to expect. It's a 98 Ford Ka so might not be worth anything. Engine is running well but is a write-off from insurance point of view as passenger side is all damaged and estimated at €2500 to repair (front wing and door and back). All head lights are fine and has a couple of virtually new parts (idle control valve; air flow meter) which literally went on a few days before crash.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Dartz

You could try and dismantle it yourself and sell it out on ebay. The engine would be worth something, to somebody. Headlights, undamaged suspension parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

There's no value in it, scrap yards wouldn't pay. You're better off putting it in buy and sell for a few quid or whatever.

Here's an example of one with low mileage for less than 1k http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/KA/1.2-Coll/200905191645649/advert - a written off car is worth nothing when a whole car is this cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭draycottgirlz

if insurance gave you money for it, they own it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

They'll most likely have deducted the highest scrap offer their assessor received from the payout. The insured party will own the car again and will be told to contact whomever made the scrap offer directly to get the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Not always true. We get to keep it in this case (they are substracting a very small amount from settlement).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

put a secondhand door and wing on it you'll get them for 50 or 60 euro and bolt on.

post up a pic

biggus wrote: »
    put a secondhand door and wing on it you'll get them for 50 or 60 euro and bolt on.

post up a pic

Quality is not great as from phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭Top Dog

cgc5483 wrote: »
    Is that all the damage?

If so, I'd say you'd be as well off going to a scrapyard - not to get rid of what you have, but to get a new wing, bumper corner and passenger door. That looks like a very easy fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Generally about 2/3 of an estimate will be labour, so if you do it yourself you'd come out with a well running car assuming no underlying damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

As top Dog says, you should be able to get the parts in a scrap yard and have fitted easily enough. As it is an old car, get a "budget" paint job done on it. You could either sell it on cheaply and maybe make a few quid* or hold on to it.

* depending on what the insurance gave you.

• Advertisement

As top Dog says, you should be able to get the parts in a scrap yard and have fitted easily enough. As it is an old car, get a "budget" paint job done on it. You could either sell it on cheaply and maybe make a few quid* or hold on to it.

* depending on what the insurance gave you.

Yeah that could be a runner. The repair quote came from own of Quinn's own approved assesors. I'm no mechanic so any ideas of ball park figure for repair with parts from scrap yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

NCT might be an issue if the wheel itself was hit badly.

NCT might be an issue if the wheel itself was hit badly.

It has 18 months left so not worried there.

Repair costs probably consisted of brand new Ford wing, door and entire front bumper. Along with main dealer painting and labour prices.

Only one thing about fixing it yourself, if you do you'll have to get an engineers report to confirm that its sound. Otherwise it will remain on the system as a written-off car ;)

Top Dog wrote: »
    Repair costs probably consisted of brand new Ford wing, door and entire front bumper. Along with main dealer painting and labour prices.

Only one thing about fixing it yourself, if you do you'll have to get an engineers report to confirm that its sound. Otherwise it will remain on the system as a written-off car ;)

The only reason would do anything to it would be to keep it on the road for another bit as it's running fine and wouldn't be selling it on. Would €150 to repair it be optimistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭holly8

I had a similar problem last year when my car was deemed to a write off by the insurance company. Once the cost to fix a damaged car exceeds 50% of the book value of the car, it is considered a write-off. But the repair cost is estimated for fixing the car wth brand new parts from an authorised dealer.

So get yourself off to a scrap yard or a cheap(er) panel beater.

My car is a 2000 year car estimated at that time to be worth about €3000. I had completly mangled the front - bumper, all the lights, bonnet, side panels, etc. Estimated cost to repair at the dealer circa €2500.

I got the book value for my car off the insurance company minus the scrap value (estimated at €400). So I bought it back from the insurance company for the €400 (as advised by the insurance assessor at the time), got it panel beated, used scrap parts, etc for €600 and brought my family on a sun holiday with the other €2000.

I still have the car on the road and it looks as good as new!! I hope to get another year out of it at least.

The only reason would do anything to it would be to keep it on the road for another bit as it's running fine and wouldn't be selling it on. Would €150 to repair it be optimistic?
    Probably a little optimistic. You'd almost certainly have the parts for that amount, maybe even find a generous scrappy that'll give you the 3 for 100 quid. But even a cheap paint-job could cost you 100 quid or more.

Then again, if you got very lucky you might come across a black Ka in a scrapyard so all you'd need then is the parts and to get them fitted. So yes, it'd be possible to fix it for €150, but it'd take a bit of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

If I remember correctly the wing and door hinges on a 98 Fiesta are weld on not bolt on, so Ka is probably the same ? Makes a DIY job harder. Also even a "cheap" bodyshop will charge maybe 400 euro to do that. Parts will be very cheap, and job easier if you can get in same colour. 100-150 for the parts I'd guess.

Is it driving okay - no pulling to one side or anything like that ? Did the wheel and suspension take a hit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Well if you decide to scrap it let me know cause I might know someone who would be interested in a few parts including the gear box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Yep the wings are welded on to the valance and under the sill on the Ka's.

• Advertisement

Well if you decide to scrap it let me know cause I might know someone who would be interested in a few parts including the gear box.

If we decide to go down that path I'll drop you a pm. The idle control valve alone was over €100 and only done 300 miles.

I can see your point holly8 but we're kind of thinking that anything more that €150-200 may not make sense and by the sounds of it there is a little bit of work involved that i wouldn't be able to do myslef. Just put €200 into it the week before the crash so thought might get a bit of use out of it. Mechanic told us as well that the camshaft followers are on the way out and would be 600-700 to sort that out so would probably be a bit of a false economy to put must more than that into it. Insure payout is more than we bought it for 9 months ago although we did put about 400 into it and thought it would do as 2nd car until it's next NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭blackbox

holly8 wrote: »

I still have the car on the road and it looks as good as new!! I hope to get another year out of it at least.

Hi Holly8

Who is it insured with now - the original insurer? did you have to get an engineers report?

Advertisement