Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

30 30 lever action

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

4gun wrote: »
    grant letter received to day, should be able to pick up mine in the next few days :D:D
    ...last day of deer season too, sobb :(

Long summer of clays and bottles and the like ahead with it, and perhaps a rabbit or two? I'd be curious to see whether it'd be tidy enough on them. I suspect not, but would make good sport anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

Long summer of clays and bottles and the like ahead with it, and perhaps a rabbit or two? I'd be curious to see whether it'd be tidy enough on them. I suspect not, but would make good sport anyway.

watch this space ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

tac foley wrote: »
    It is most certainly NOT a myth, else ammunition would not be marked 'NOT suitable for use in arms with tubular magazines'.

Nor is the rounded/flat nose of the bullet intended for use in any lever action tube magazine firearm there as a designer whim.

You will notice that the flat on the bullet - or even the radius of the semi-round nose, is larger than the diameter of the primer.

This is NOT an accident.

When these guns were originally designed - see the Volcanic Repeating Arms Co. Inc - ALL bullets were round-nosed.

My inspired guess is that one upon a time a guy with more adventure than brains thought it would be interesting to see what happened when you put a pointy bullet in such a gun, and found out the hard way.

In firearms design, there are some things that you really DO have to take on trust, so trust me on this one, eh?

And when the RoI finally gets reloading for all - PLEASE don't try it. We really don't want to read about you in the Darwin Awards columns.

tac, Winchester Model 94 shooter since 1956.

When the french wanted to use spitzer bullets in their tube fed lebel design, they cut a ring into the base of the cartridge encircling the primer.
    That way when the rounds where pushed up against each other tip to base, the point of the bullet would seemingly find its way into the groove and be held there away from the primer.
    I always wonder how they could guarantee this, how was it that the tip would not go into the groove where the primer meets the brass?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

harmoniums wrote: »
    how was it that the tip would not go into the groove where the primer meets the brass?

...perhaps an outward and deepening extension of that very groove?..

only way I could see that working - but it could definitely work alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

grant letter received to day, should be able to pick up mine in the next few days :D:D
    ...last day of deer season too, sobb :(

lucky man, i've been waiting months now. i'm going mad the missus put in an application for her first rifle .22 after i did and got it in a couple of weeks, no questions asked or anyone rang nothing:rolleyes:. mine on the other hand was lost for eight weeks and is now sitting in a pile forgotten about somewhere.:(:mad::mad: looking forward to seeing a few pics etc.. :D:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭clivej

juice1304 wrote: »
    lucky man, i've been waiting months now. i'm going mad the missus put in an application for her first rifle .22 after i did and got it in a couple of weeks, no questions asked or anyone rang nothing:rolleyes:. mine on the other hand was lost for eight weeks and is now sitting in a pile forgotten about somewhere.:(:mad::mad: looking forward to seeing a few pics etc.. :D:)

If your app. is taking months to process its time to start phoning up the FO and getting a move on it. or it will be left there in the 'To Do' pile.

I'm going to leave it untill Monday, then i'll ring again. I'm hoping to go boar or maybe roe/muntjac hunting for my birthday so i don't want to push too hard and just be told no. How are you getting on with your new baby? i'm thinking of getting another 94 in 45lc for gr:D:D:p

I'm going to leave it untill Monday, then i'll ring again. I'm hoping to go boar or maybe roe/muntjac hunting for my birthday so i don't want to push too hard and just be told no. How are you getting on with your new baby? i'm thinking of getting another 94 in 45lc for gr:D:D:p

My 1894 is lovely to shoot, with a nice soft recoil. With the Magtec ammo I found the round nose bullets feed better than the Cowboy ammo and are just as accurate and cheaper. Waiting on a hammer spur and sling swivels, front tube mag attachment type, to come in from the US.

I think the bigger cal. 1894 is 44mag that the lads use for gallery comps. I got to shoot one last week. You get a BIG bang for your buck with them :):)

clivej wrote: »
    My 1894 is lovely to shoot, with a nice soft recoil. With the Magtec ammo I found the round nose bullets feed better than the Cowboy ammo and are just as accurate and cheaper. Waiting on a hammer spur and sling swivels, front tube mag attachment type, to come in from the US.

I think the bigger cal. 1894 is 44mag that the lads use for gallery comps. I got to shoot one last week. You get a BIG bang for your buck with them :):)

waaaaaaaaaaaa.....I wana a 44mag........waaaaaaaaaaa

Then join a club and do centrefire gallery rifle.

• Advertisement

Then join a club and do centrefire gallery rifle.

I try that when I can no longer stalk deer

Although Its the only competition shooting that I may actually interested in
    pity they don't allow cowboy action shooting here

And you get a VERY BIG bullet as well

194846.jpg
    ammo guide image 1.jpg

pity they don't allow cowboy action shooting here

Yeah i'd love to docowboy action shooting, got forbid people could be seen enjoying themselves shooting though, we don't want all those criminals to be trained how to use those single action assault pistols.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Would love if cowboy action caught on here too. I've always wanted a nice single action revolver :D

haha, I like this: 'single action assault pistols'

well it was military issue back in 1873:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Yeah i'd love to docowboy action
    Hibrion wrote: »
    Would love if cowboy action caught on here too.

Brokeback Mountain!

lol:D

more like this but alot slower, this frlla should be classed as an assault weapon of some sort. AMAZING:eek::eek::cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Sadly, Sir - it was not military issue at all. If it had been, then the Little Big Horn would have been remembered as a great American victory instead of a great American massacre.

The native American opposition had many Henry and Winchester repeating rifles in numerous calibres, and the poor old 'yellow legs' had only their trusty singel-shot 'trapdoor' Springfields in 45-70 govt - a real thumper, but no match for the instant reload seven and eight shot repeaters of the natives.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Yeah i'd love to docowboy action shooting, got forbid people could be seen enjoying themselves shooting though, we don't want all those criminals to be trained how to use those single action assault pistols.

Is cowboy action shooting actually banned or is it that no one ever got around to organizing it in ireland ?

Sadly, Sir - it was not military issue at all. If it had been, then the Little Big Horn would have been remembered as a great American victory instead of a great American massacre.

The native American opposition had many Henry and Winchester repeating rifles in numerous calibres, and the poor old 'yellow legs' had only their trusty singel-shot 'trapdoor' Springfields in 45-70 govt - a real thumper, but no match for the instant reload seven and eight shot repeaters of the natives.

tac

I think he was talking about the single action revolver, rather than the 30-30.

• Advertisement

Brokeback Mountain!

never actually saw that movie....:p

True Grit, be more my style of western :cool:

yeeehaaa....

rowa wrote: »
    Is cowboy action shooting actually banned or is it that no one ever got around to organizing it in ireland ?

That's a good question. It isn't really practical shooting, is it?
    It'd be hard to do it without the right pistols and black powder though :(

rowa wrote: »

't would have to be an oirish interpretation of the sport, rim fire calibres only, :o.

At a typical Cowboy shoot, most ranges are set up to shoot between five and seven stages in one day. The stages are set up to simulate a different old west shoot out scenario. Each time you go to a Cowboy shoot, the scenarios change. One time you might be at the O.K. Corral shooting it out with the Clantons and McLowerys. The next time you go, you may have to get on a saddled wooden horse, rifle in scabbard, sixgun in hand and shoot your way out of an ambush. The targets you shoot are usually steel plates. Guns are loaded at a designated loading area set up next to each stage. An appointed range safety person supervises the loading of all guns prior to the contestant shooting that stage. Unloading is done in the same manner.

The guns that are used are the same type your great-great grandfather (or maybe great-great grandmother) may have used. Single Action revolvers, double barrel shotguns and lever action rifles (chambered in a pistol caliber) are guns most often used in these matches.

Oh yeah, one of the most important rules is come dressed as a cowboy. Come join in on the fastest growing shooting sport. You'll have one heck of a great time and meet some of the nicest folks around.

this was taken from this link

http://www.atlanticguns.com/cowboyaction.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Hibrion wrote: »
    That's a good question. It isn't really practical shooting, is it?
    It'd be hard to do it without the right pistols and black powder though :(

Yup.

Not many cowboys/gals had .22/9mm/.357 Tanfoglios/Berettas/Walthers/Smith & Wessons...

Without that cloud of white smoke getting in your eyes in the rapid shooting sections, who knows how well you might be shooting?

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Cowboy axtion shooting sounds like great fun and what i have seen on youtube of it , looks to be great fun , so knowing the mindset of the ptb it must be banned.

thought I'd stick this up there for those who are interested

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/100726101057000

you can find out the year it was made here

http://www.savage99.com/winchester1894_dates.htm

you wont get cheaper than that

Sadly, Sir - it was not military issue at all.
    tac

sorry i should have made my post clearer, i meant the single action army.
    i'd love a single action army and another 94 chambered in 45lc:cool::cool::cool:

picked mine up to day,
    put a box of rounds through it to see how it fired and all I have to say is,.. amazing
    it had a scope on it and I'd say we (Poulo and I)were easily getting 11/2" groups at 100yds
    we spent the rest of the evening completely dismantling it and gave it a thorough clean

anyone know where we can get some 30-30 ammo in a hurry

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Wonder how we would manage with the Oirish cowboy action shooting with our rather long barrelled,as required by law here double barrel shotguns,or 1897 Winchester pump or 1893 lever action shotguns??:(
    Anywhere else they can be 20 or 18 in long.Not exactly gunfighter lengths now.

A comparision would be
    [With all due deference to those fans of Irish country&western music here.]
    I just doesnt look and sound right!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

could it not come under classic rifle shooting....strong argument for as the are among the oldest repeating rifles

even thinking of Irish C&W music makes me cringe :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement