Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moodle for Secondary School

• 01-09-2012 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

Has anyone had any experience of using moodle in a secondary school? Is it practical? Is it utilised fully? Or is it overkill, considering about 50% of the average secondary school staffroom still panic when it comes to entering results online using eportal or its equivalent?

Kind Regards,

cojobt

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ours isn't utilised fully in that every single member of staff doesn't upload to it, but almost everyone uses the sections for their subjects.

It is very useful for the students uploading their work. No more virus-laden memory sticks, or work interfered with in common folders.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

spurious wrote: »
    Ours isn't utilised fully in that every single member of staff doesn't upload to it, but almost everyone uses the sections for their subjects.

It is very useful for the students uploading their work. No more virus-laden memory sticks, or work interfered with in common folders.

Same with us. I have a load of resources up (powerpoints, photos, quizzes etc) so my students can go in and use them for revision and I can use them for class, but there are plenty of teachers who don't use it from one end of the year to the next except for the day when we are getting training/inservice on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

I use Edmodo with my 6th years and they love it.

I put up video clips, articles, online games and links to websites to help reinforce what we do in class. I have a folder for grammar, vocab, oral topics etc. which they can find and use if they are absent / misplace a sheet. I also put up polls for feedback on lessons and the pace we cover the material.

I give almost instant feedback on tests / assignments so they don't have to wait until the next class to learn from their mistakes.

23/26 of my students are registered and log in everyday.

Most of all I find it build on the students' interest in my subject and their motivation to learn!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

our moodle is very popular amongst certain staff who use it with 1-6 years. and its free so how bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

cojobt wrote: »
    Has anyone had any experience of using moodle in a secondary school? Is it practical? Is it utilised fully? Or is it overkill, considering about 50% of the average secondary school staffroom still panic when it comes to entering results online using eportal or its equivalent?

Kind Regards,

cojobt
    I use it for most lessons. Very useful.

Some teachers are IT-phobic full stop but I would say generally, it's under utilised in our place.

By the way, I actually set Moodle up myself in the school. If you want any specific pointers, help, etc please ask!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Also, Moodle 2.3 is by far the easiest to use, 2.0 is a right pain uploading files etc compared to 2.3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

23/26 of my students are registered and log in everyday.
    I'm curious to know about the three who don't use it. Are these kids who don't have broadband or what? Are they missing out on part of their education?

Advertisement