Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Seeing as we're in relegation territory, does anyone know what the story is, if ourselves and Galway finish on 4 points each, and Dublin on 2, what decides who will play Dublin - is it points difference between ourselves and Galway, or is it the head-to-head ?

For some reason, I presumed it was points difference, meaning that no matter what, it is ourselves and Dublin in the mix to decide relegation, but if it is the head-to-head, and we win both of our next games and Galway lose to KK in the last round, then it would be a Galway-Dublin relegation decider. A big ask, I know..
    big if

• Registered Users Posts: 10 crackinthewall

it apppears to me that there are a number of problems that are affecting waterfords progress to being realistic all ireland contenders... it is accepted in all sports that every once in a while a weak team will come along and defy the odds and win the championship.... that was the case in waterfords all irelands wins previously, when waterford beat kerry in walsh park in 21 football, when kerry beat waterford in senior munster hurling championship, when offaly beat kerry in all ireland football in the 1980's, denmark winning the europeans championships, and there are manny more.

the problems in waterford in my opinion are as follows:

1. as an outsider the lack of a parish rule has killed the standard of hurling in the county...... when the bigger clubs can pick the upandcoming young star of a small parish will only hinder the competivity between clubs

2. if there is a deeper analysis of the current panel, it shows that there is endless areas of weakness. starting at goalkeeping, the uncertainity of a true no. 1, the stability it brings, the lack of a true and proper no. 1 in the county will not change. in my opinion that o'keeffe lad should be given the outright responsibility and keep one of the other 2. the moving of brick to centre forward has left waterford with zero from the league. when do u put the best cb in the country to cf when cb is the most important position on the field.... i thought waterford folk would have realised that after the mauling in the munster final last year.... the mid field and forwards lack the physical presence the two top teams have.

3. the gaffer has not a clue.... i read recently in one of the papers ( independent i think) the lenghts he went to to justify his hurling "qualification"..... managing a mullinahone team that won a game in the south championship against the davins is not great considering an achievement of winning the county by breaking the toomevara hold of titles would be impressive. However he won a game. the dls county title is attributed to the players and indeed the club itself and not ml ryan. He is a ladies football man, simple. He also claims that being a selector with justin mccarthy prepared him but the dogs in the street know justin makes decisions by himself. waterford are in dire straights and 1b hurling is on the cards for the next couple of years.... further pusing back the progress required to compete at the highest level.

4. the stance that the players lack motivation and drive is absolutely shocking. in a division where 5 games are played and the top 3 finishing teams get through to the knock out stages..... is there any motivation required to get to that finishing position..... there should not be but it appears that the second half performances fail to ignite..... as unpopular davy fitz was they never laid down (they had shocking performances ok but never laid down) and it appears that seem to accept second best at moment.

5. if u look to the munster semi final that scenario could be as follows: waterford have been regulated to 1b after losing all that league games.... clare have been promoted after winning all there games and played a league final?? Throw in the davy fitz element.... 3 years of eating sleeping and breathing waterford hurling he will know what they each have for their breakfast... he will have his team fully briefed on what makes each waterford man tick and know how to get inside their head..... it could be very embarassing for waterford that day in thurles.

in essence the outlook for the next 3 to 5 years are not great... waterford have some fabulous hurlers but as a unit they fail to inspire.. take the county final last year it was nothing more than a challenge match pace which didnt raise the heartbeats of the supporters. OUTLOOK BLEAK

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Just out of curiosity, dose anyone know if Eoin Kelly is back on the panel or not ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Just out of curiosity, dose anyone know if Eoin Kelly is back on the panel or not ?

No but is due back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

0-31 to 2-15. Not good enough, 31 points conceded. serious problems I dont care about injuries or any excuses serious questions should be asked after this

Maybe, but not as bad as 7 goals (21 points) in the Munster Final. Which will be remembered longer.

• Advertisement

Heard the players have requested a meeting with management tonight to address concern re training.
    Training has not been up to the standard required at this level. Hence Ml Ryan is right to be concerned at the fitness levels. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to realise thats down to him. Reminds me a lot of end of Justins reign. Players not happy, and I've heard from people who have attended training sessions that it is more like a Junior B session with players barely breaking sweat.
    I think we're going nowhere fast, but county board dont have the spine to deal with the problem and if there is to be a change they will wait for the players to rebel.
    Agree with the poster who says no benefit to us playing in 1B. When is the right time to bring in new management. Is it after relegation, or after Clare beat us or should we see the year out for the sake of it. I'd say now

If this is true then its best iron these things out now rather than later in the championship. But tbh Its worrying I am losing faith with this management its becoming more and more apparant that the manager is out of his depth and dosent know what hes at. Hes interview after the game yesterday is worrying. While he says he identifies where were going wrong and aims to rectify it any manager worth his salt would have these basics in order right from the start.

Because Davy didn't want to stay.

BEcause he knew he no longer had the support of the majority of the officer board.

Heard the players have requested a meeting with management tonight to address concern re training.
    Training has not been up to the standard required at this level. Hence Ml Ryan is right to be concerned at the fitness levels. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to realise thats down to him. Reminds me a lot of end of Justins reign. Players not happy, and I've heard from people who have attended training sessions that it is more like a Junior B session with players barely breaking sweat.
    I think we're going nowhere fast, but county board dont have the spine to deal with the problem and if there is to be a change they will wait for the players to rebel.
    Agree with the poster who says no benefit to us playing in 1B. When is the right time to bring in new management. Is it after relegation, or after Clare beat us or should we see the year out for the sake of it. I'd say now

I know Michael Ryan is the manager, and the buck lies with the boss/manager, but who takes the training is it Michael Ryan, or Brother Ryan, or Nicky Cashin. Maybe its Pat FLanagan who has trained teams, be it with a bigger ball to win Munster and All-Ireland Finals. Its well known that he is not able to attend every session. What is Jimmy Payne's involvement with the GAA. Did he play at any standard. I would say the training is down to one of the latter two, or maybe they are only doing the fitness work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Ringo hasn't been on the panel for 3 years at least(I think) and yet he's one of the 'main players' that your relying on when he returns? Come on lads. He can't surely be one of the key players to save our season can he?

Our second best option at corner back, very talented hurler that was marginalised under Davy. He could release Darragh Fives to wing back, something which needs to happen for himself and for Waterford.
    Black Suir wrote: »
    I know Michael Ryan is the manager, and the buck lies with the boss/manager, but who takes the training is it Michael Ryan, or Brother Ryan, or Nicky Cashin. Maybe its Pat FLanagan who has trained teams, be it with a bigger ball to win Munster and All-Ireland Finals. Its well known that he is not able to attend every session. What is Jimmy Payne's involvement with the GAA. Did he play at any standard. I would say the training is down to one of the latter two, or maybe they are only doing the fitness work.

Brother Ryan does the hurling side of it I think. Flanagan's role is strictly as a fitness trainer as he has no knowledge of hurling, his background is in football. Didn't even know Payne was still involved.

Ringo hasn't been on the panel for 3 years at least

He was on the panel last year, was injured alright the entire year before but was on the panel, and was a regular starter in 09 so you're completely wrong there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Our second best option at corner back, very talented hurler that was marginalised under Davy. He could release Darragh Fives to wing back, something which needs to happen for himself and for Waterford.

Brother Ryan does the hurling side of it I think. Flanagan's role is strictly as a fitness trainer as he has no knowledge of hurling, his background is in football. Didn't even know Payne was still involved.

Pat Flanagan is only physical fitness, but his backround is athletics, involvment with football is due to his physical training with kerry teams, as far as I know played some hurling with Mount sion underage many years ago , Paynes job is to implement Flanagans programme during the week,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

Ringo hasn't been on the panel for 3 years at least

He was on the panel last year, was injured alright the entire year before but was on the panel, and was a regular starter in 09 so you're completely wrong there

How can you be on the panel if your injured all year?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

players had a lenghty meeting last night in carriganore,management were not involved for a good bit of that time,

Are u serious? He was an official panel member. Just because he got injured didnt mean he was omitted from the squad that would be an awful way to treat someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DeiseX

players had a lenghty meeting last night in carriganore,management were not involved for a good bit of that time,

Go on.....

BEcause he knew he no longer had the support of the majority of the officer board.

He also knew he didn't have the support of the majority of the Waterford supporters or the players, and that he wouldn't be able to spend as freely as before.

(1) Brother Ryan does the hurling side of it I think. Flanagan's role is strictly as a fitness trainer as he has no knowledge of hurling, his background is in football. (2) Didn't even know Payne was still involved.

1. Maybe here-in lies the problem. I dont know the man so cant comment. I have only ever seen him attend a few games here and there. He was also involved with Davy Last years, I dont think he was involved in previous years. As I said i dont know the man, never spoken to him, and could be doing him an injustice.

2. Ya he is involved. He stands in for Pat Flanagan when he cant make it down from his base in Tralee.

He also knew he didn't have the support of the majority of the Waterford supporters or the players, and that he wouldn't be able to spend as freely as before.

Did what the Waterford suppurters think ever come into it. If it did, i dont think Davy would have had the job in 2011. If the supporters were listened to, the county board would have set up a sub committee with no member of the county board on it (without the chairman anyway) as some had gone public to say that Davy should be re-appointed.

Did what the Waterford suppurters think ever come into it. If it did, i dont think Davy would have had the job in 2011. If the supporters were listened to, the county board would have set up a sub committee with no member of the county board on it (without the chairman anyway) as some had gone public to say that Davy should be re-appointed.

Agreed but I'd say he had enough of the abuse and the Clare job was going to be there for him, and that's what he wanted anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

If we pull of a win on Sunday all will be forgiven, I for one would love to see that happen. We are all down right now and I can assure you the Team and management must be feeling the heat. This League has been a disaster for us so far and we badly need a win, next Sunday will tell us a lot about where we are going.Lets hope for the best. I suggest all the panel read some of the comments over on the Galway website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

kelly must be in good shape

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    If we pull of a win on Sunday all will be forgiven, I for one would love to see that happen. We are all down right now and I can assure you the Team and management must be feeling the heat. This League has been a disaster for us so far and we badly need a win, next Sunday will tell us a lot about where we are going.Lets hope for the best. I suggest all the panel read some of the comments over on the Galway website.

I think we'll need more than a win on Sunday to get us back on track, although a win on Sunday would be a timely boost and just the fuel we need for a recovery from this mess we are currently in. Staying in 1A has to be the priority, I think, and that means defeating Galway and the Dubs, which right now seems like quite a tall order.

Still though, the return of Mullane and Kelly is a timely boost, and will be hoping we can turn it around.

O Riain wrote: »
    kelly must be in good shape

Or else Skully just feeling the heat. he needs everyone he can get at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

I'm seeing on twitter that Nicky Cashin has stepped down as a selector.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

solarith wrote: »
    I'm seeing on twitter that Nicky Cashin has stepped down as a selector.

Christ, any detail?

I see Ryan was in the media again today cribbing about the huge amount of injured players that are unavailable to him. He just doesn't inspire any confidence either on or off the field at present.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Christ, any detail?

I see Ryan was in the media again today cribbing about the huge amount of injured players that are unavailable to him. He just doesn't inspire any confidence either on or off the field at present.
    Unverified rumours of "Ken McGrath coming on board as a coach" and "much dissatisfaction also with the county board" - whatever that means.

tweets were from: @ballyhea14, @johnfogartyirl and @damienrte

I don't think Ryan ever inspired confidence. He's being found out big time.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Christ, any detail?

Yeah his performance at full forward was shockin the last day...
    solarith wrote: »
    Unverified rumours of "Ken McGrath coming on board as a coach" and "much dissatisfaction also with the county board" - whatever that means.

tweets were from: johnfogartyirl and @damienrte

I don't think Ryan ever inspired confidence. He's being found out big time.

Now, where have I heard that name before :rolleyes:

?

Facts being facts, what's your point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Yeah his performance at full forward was shockin the last day...

Well I'd consider on the field to be his performance on the line.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement