Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP! Serious problem/virus.

• 30-10-2011 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi all

I was using my pc desktop yesterday and every thing was fine on it. But when my brother used it something weird happened. A message came up saying something about a virus (or so he say's). And since then when ever i log in as one of the users the computer shuts it's self down after only half a minute or two. It stays on as long as you don't sign in as one of the users. It tried to use the security system ETEA i think it's called but it just says that it's is on a cretin mod and will handle all problems by it's self.
    I'm not sure if it's is the security system shutting it down and i can't turn the security off because 1 it won't let me and 2 the computer usually shuts down before i can get to it. If any one knows or has an idea what it might be please let me know. (sending this from my laptop if your wondering)

Any help would be appreciated Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

First things first
    Try booting it up into Safe Mode
    whatever your PC is pressing F8 or F12 repeatedly during the initial bootup and select Safe Mode from the prompt screen

Then one of two things if you can stay logged in in safe mode
    1) Run a virus scan/Malware scan

2) (only use this 2nd option if the virus scan does not work)
    Perform a system restore back to when it was last working

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Jcarroll07

Pablod wrote: »
    First things first
    whatever your PC is pressing F8 or F12 repeatedly during the initial bootup and select Safe Mode from the prompt screen

Thanks.
    Ill try that. But the scan don't seem to be working. I'm not really good with tech so how to you do a system reset if you could answer thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Jcarroll07

Pablod wrote: »
    First things first

o and can you tell me what a dikette drive 0 seek failure might mean that seem to be popping up quite a bit.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Jcarroll07 wrote: »
    o and can you tell me what a dikette drive 0 seek failure might mean that seem to be popping up quite a bit.

That disk error may be a false one to scare you into buying the malware (Whatever you do do not give any details to the malware. To remove it do the following:
    Download the Kaspersky Live CD on a working computer. Then burn it to a blank CD-R (you can use Imgburn to do this.
    Follow the instructions here to boot from the CD-Rom.
    When the Kaspersky live disc loads and you can move the mouse, click on the kaspersky update tab to update the anti virus. Then run a full scan.
    Not got a CD drive or blank CD rom handy? Click here to see how to install Kasperky Live CD onto a USB key (some older machines may not support booting from a usb key)!
    Once you have finished the Kaspersky scan your computer will not be 100% clean yet quite likely, but hopefully will be able to start normally, when it starts normally after Kaspersky scan, Use Malwarebytes anti Malware free, updating it and run a quick scan of the computer. Then download Super Anti Spyware Free, update it and run a quick scan,
    Finally put a proper anti virus system on your computer (such as free Microsoft Security Essentials and run a scan, make sure to uninstall any others such as McAfee, Norton, AVG etc prior to installing this)

Any problems report back here

Nick

Advertisement