Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cat D writeoff

• 13-04-2012 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Looking at an 08 golf tdi in harolds cross tomorrow. Car has good spec as it was ex uk and has come in at a good price. Sales rep told me the car had a new d/s wing and valence but was classed as a cat d writeoff in the uk. Can someone explain what this means and should i just forget about it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,613 ✭✭✭TheBody

You can find info on a cat d write off here:

http://www.cartell.ie/how-it-works/help/write-off-help/#30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭john reilly

the newer the car the more serious the damage can be andstill be registered cat d. as the value of the car means it is economically viable to repair it. an older car could be cat c with very little damage

• Registered Users Posts: 28,003 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

CatD might not be bad but it's got to be reflected in the price. If the same accident happened in ireland now it wouldn't be wrote off or classed cat d. €2000 cheaper than one that 100% on the button?

A car could be a complete write off here and if it doesn't go through insurance you won't know it was once smashed to bits. Like buying any car take someone that knows them and knows how to spot a lemon.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,173 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

CatD might not be bad but it's got to be reflected in the price. If the same accident happened in ireland now it wouldn't be wrote off or classed cat d. €2000 cheaper than one that 100% on the button?

A car could be a complete write off here and if it doesn't go through insurance you won't know it was once smashed to bits. Like buying any car take someone that knows them and knows how to spot a lemon.
    You can be sure its had more damage than a wing. Get it professionally checked, get a history check and if happy get it for 75% of proper price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Cat D is serious no mater what the age of car. I wouldn't even considder it for any price unless i had a full check up done by a garage i trust.
    Has the car been through the VOS to say its ok? If they're selling it and it has the V5, then i assume it does.

• Advertisement

If the bags blew in that car when it got a rap it would of wrote it off I presume. You'd want an engineers report on it.

Senna wrote: »
    Cat D is serious no mater what the age of car. I wouldn't even considder it for any price unless i had a full check up done by a garage i trust.
    Has the car been through the VOS to say its ok? If they're selling it and it has the V5, then i assume it does.
    It used to be possible to get an export cert for all sorts of dodgy UK cars. I think that has been stopped though. Export certs were used to register cars here that would never get back on the road in UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

A car could be a complete write off here and if it doesn't go through insurance you won't know it was once smashed to bits. .

A car could be crashed anywhere and if it doesnt go through the insurance nothign will be recorded.

A car could be crashed anywhere and if it doesnt go through the insurance nothign will be recorded.

Exactly what I said, there's some seriously smashed cars out there that were never written off.
    TBH, I think there should be some parts of AGSC that impounds and writes off cars that are unfit to go back on the road.
    If I car was in an accident it's probably on the Garda computer if it was anyway serious. That information isn't available to the general public though but should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Category D is the least serious write off category in the UK. If the car was no longer capable of being roadworthy as a result of the crash, it'd have been in Cat A or B. Get the car inspected properly by someone who knows what to look for. The cost of replacing 4 airbags at a main dealer could have been enough to get the car put in Cat D so it's not necessarily something to be frightened once it's properly repaired.

• Advertisement

Exactly what I said, .

When you said " A car could be a complete write off here" . Presumably here being Ireland, it would imply we are different. I thought you were sayign they are always recorded elswhere.

Were the same but there different.

Senna wrote: »
    could be very slight damage

mickdw wrote: »
    You can be sure its had more damage than a wing. Get it professionally checked, get a history check and if happy get it for 75% of proper price.
    no you cant be sure

If the bags blew in that car when it got a rap it would of wrote it off I presume. You'd want an engineers report on it.
    you presume wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

All you need to know about Cat D is here:

http://www.mycarcheck.com/help/accidentdamage/

Cat D classes the car as cost of repairing the damage as more than 60% of the value of the car.
    Imo, a Cat D claim on a 1/2/3 year old car means walk away. the car has had significant damage.
    A Cat D claim on a 10 year old car might only mean something like a new wing.

no you cant be sure

Yes I can
    At a minimum, it would have had to be heavy impact at the wing which resulted in airbag deployment as a replacement wing alone is not going to make an 08 golf a cat d.
    If airbag were deployed, the car needs thorough investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

The car may have suffered very litle damage but will you be able to sell it again when the time comes?

I recently was interested in a Focus RS which i ran by carchecker as it was cheaper then the petrol to look myself, cat d write off and i "walked away"

You can't be sure how well the car has been repaired and it COULD be a death trap. Spend your money on a sound car, even if itmeans getting one a year or two older.

Yes I can
    At a minimum, it would have had to be heavy impact at the wing which resulted in airbag deployment as a replacement wing alone is not going to make an 08 golf a cat d.
    wrong on every account

corktina wrote: »
    The car may have suffered very litle damage but will you be able to sell it again when the time comes?

I recently was interested in a Focus RS which i ran by carchecker as it was cheaper then the petrol to look myself, cat d write off and i "walked away"

You can't be sure how well the car has been repaired and it COULD be a death trap. Spend your money on a sound car, even if itmeans getting one a year or two older.
    are one that has been damaged and not recorded

• Advertisement

Yes I can
    wrong on every account
    Explain then how a simple wing replacement will cause a cat d on an 08 golf? You seem very sure that I'm wrong. What cost would you associate with a wing replacement on this car via insurance?
    What value would you put on an 08 golf? Also we don't know when the damage occurred. If it occurred early in its life, the damage would be even more significant to warrant a cat d.

Explain then how a simple wing replacement will cause a cat d on an 08 golf? You seem very sure that I'm wrong. What cost would you associate with a wing replacement on this car via insurance?
    What value would you put on an 08 golf? Also we don't know when the damage occurred. If it occurred early in its life, the damage would be even more significant to warrant a cat d.
    the lowest amount of damage is category d. so if the car has a recorded claim no matter how small it would be cat d. have seen cars with no visible damage listed as cat d and c

the lowest amount of damage is category d. so if the car has a recorded claim no matter how small it would be cat d. have seen cars with no visible damage listed as cat d and c

You came on to this thread and contradicted everyone bluntly telling them they are wrong as if you have great wisdom on this topic. It is now clear that you have no idea what you are talking about. Please go away and educate yourself on the subject before condemning all opinions. Cat d is the lowest level of write off. The cost of damage versus car value that constitutes a cat d was highlighted earlier in this thread. There are many instances of damage to cars that do not result in a cat d or any other category of write off.

the lowest amount of damage is category d. so if the car has a recorded claim no matter how small it would be cat d.

This is one of the few times I'd approved of the use of a Captain Picard facepalm pic.

You came on to this thread and contradicted everyone bluntly telling them they are wrong as if you have great wisdom on this topic. It is now clear that you have no idea what you are talking about. Please go away and educate yourself on the subject before condemning all opinions. Cat d is the lowest level of write off. The cost of damage versus car value that constitutes a cat d was highlighted earlier in this thread. There are many instances of damage to cars that do not result in a cat d or any other category of write off.
    i have bought more cat d cars than you sat in. if you dont want to know the facts i couldnt care less.

This is one of the few times I'd approved of the use of a Captain Picard facepalm pic.
    go for it

Here's a CAT D golf just so eveyone has an idea of what it would be classed like in the UK, frontal damage and airbags blown. I'd suspect the car OP is looking at could have been something similar damage wise.

http://www.usedcarsni.com/84866943

or just for balance it could have been cosmetic just like this one http://www.usedcarsni.com/83578280

Here's a CAT D golf just so eveyone has an idea of what it would be classed like in the UK, frontal damage and airbags blown. I'd suspect the car OP is looking at could have been something similar damage wise.

http://www.usedcarsni.com/84866943

or just for balance it could have been cosmetic just like this one http://www.usedcarsni.com/83578280

it could have been anything from a scratch to a mangle

it could have been anything from a scratch to a mangle

A,B,C,D

Ends in a mangle doesn't start with a scratch though.

• Advertisement

A,B,C,D

Ends in a mangle doesn't start with a scratch though.
    amazingly both cat C and D could be as little as a scratch I have the cars to prove it.

Advertisement