Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My running log

• 05-02-2012 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Well folks,

time for me to put something down on paper (as such) here and come clean on my ambitions.

Bit of a background first, just over a year ago (beginning of October 2010), a friend of mine got us to sign up for the Sea2summit. First training run, just kept going as far as my leg would take me without stopping to walk, a grand total of 2km. Bit heartbreaking at the time, but it got me started. Last year did a few long cycles (ring of kerry), and a couple of adventure races (Achill Roar (short), and sea2summit again).

None of this was done very fast, but that was never the target, and I was just delighted to finish.

Wanted to keep it up, and this year set the target of a marathon. This is a more daunting challenge, as my knees historically have not been good, and I generally suffered after anything more than 5km (hence the cycling, bit easier on the joints).

So the aim was/is the DCM. An opportunity came up for a nice prep race at the end of April in the US, in Nashville. So over the Christmas, I signed up for that HM.

I started training based on the Hal Higdon Novice training program, but started with the full marathon training. My logic being, worst case, if I have any injuries/illness, I'll still be well able for it, and won't be a wasted trip. Best case scenario, I might actually be able for the full. That's where it all started.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭TopCat01

So, the program is 18 weeks, working back from the date (28th April) landed me squarely in the Christmas... crap!
    Bad start, so decided to start on week 2, rather than at week 1 and try to somehow make up the week. But since then, its been going surprisingly well. Don't get me wrong, some days are tough, a real struggle, but I've hit all my distance without the need to walk, and only missed one short run when I felt completely drained due to a combination of things. And the knees, so far, are holding up. (New, decent, runners and insoles probably helped there, and the more gradual (structured) increase in distances).

Anyway, the log so far...

Jan
    Mon Tue Wed Thurs Fri Sat Sun
    - (-) 3m (28min) 3.1m (30min) 3m (28min) - (-) - (-) 7.8 (75min)
    - (-) 3m (27min) 4.2m (40min) 3m (27min) - (-) 5.5 (50min) - (-)
    - (-) 3m (26min) 4.2m (40min) 3.1m (30min) - (-) 9.1 (90min) - (-)
    - (-) 3m (29min) 5.4m (53min) - (-) - (-) 10.6 (106min) - (-)
    - (-) 3m (27min)
    Feb
    5m (47min) 3m (27min) - (-) 7 (64min) - (-)

It's the most consistent, and most structured training I've ever done, but I can really feel the benefit for it. Would never have believed I'd do 7miles yesterday and feel reasonably comfortable. Fingers crossed it continues!

So (if you're still reading), my first question, and its on nutrition.

I'm just getting to distance and times, which for me anyway, mean I need to start taking on food/drink during the run. I'm due to do 12miles next weekend, and though I could probably just get by without, I reckon its something I should tackle sooner rather than later.

So, any tips for how to introduce this to my training? One of those arm bands with a few energy gels? Water will be available on the day at various points, but I'll probably need to starting bringing a small bottle with me on training runs too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Water on any run over 10 miles is probably a good idea, if you don't want to carry it you could leave it somewhere on the route beforehand and pick it up. As regards to gels, you shouldn't really need gels on any runs less than 16 miles, you can become very dependent on them. I've seen people take gels during a 10k and it's ridiculous, if you need them for that short of a distance you're simply not fit enough to tackle that distance, although some people use them as a placebo as well. It really is a case of just experimenting yourself.
    As regards to nutrition generally, you should just maintain a balanced, healthy diet and make no drastic changes. Lots of fruit, veg, water and as the long runs get closer to 20 miles introduce some more carbohydrates, especially in the day before your long run. Good Luck.

Thanks for that.

Yeah, its not that I need the gels just yet, I was just wondering if I should start getting used to carrying additional weight while I running, so that when I get up to the longer distances, I'll be some way familiar with the weight? I suppose the other thing I'm wondering is if it would be of benefit to getting my body used to having to digest these on the move, or am I over-thinking it? I very much don't what to become over-reliant on gels etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I think you're worrying too much. :) You have plenty of time between now and your race to see if you can stomach the gels, it's all about experimenting with brands etc. As regards to carrying to them, that shouldn't be a problem, I carried three in the back pocket of my shorts during my last marathon no problem. You shouldn't need much more than that in training.

• Advertisement

Thanks pconn062, sometimes you just need to hear that from someone with more experience to stop any questions niggling in the back of your mind. Will keep the head down and keep plodding through the miles so! :)

Ha, looking through some of the other logs here, this is a bit small and unambitious, but it keeps me honest.. :)
    Mon 6th Feb
    3.02miles - 26:32min - 8.47min/m - 160 Avg HR

Tue 7th Feb
    6.10miles - 56.37min - 9.16min/m - 156 Avg HR

Last night felt weird, hard to describe, but didn't feel steady and couldn't get into a rhythm. Might have been due to tiredness after weekend? Knee wasn't feeling 100% today.

But tonight's run was much better. Felt good, and much happier after.

Had a bit of pain below my knee on Wednesday, so decided to give my 3mile run a miss and rest it. Back on the road this morning though.

Fri 10th Feb
    12.50miles - 2h 5m 09s - 10.01min/m - 151 Avg HR

First couple of miles felt crap, but then settled into it. Suffered a bit at 10, but then got back into in and didn't feel too bad at the end.

One thing I did notice though, me knee was very sore for few minutes when I got back. I iced it though, and after my stretches, it felt fine. Worth going to a physio to sus it out?

Mon 13th Feb
    3.02miles - 27m 14s - 9.01min/m

Tue 14th Feb
    6.56miles - 1h 0m 0s - 9.08min/m - 156 Avg HR

Felt good tonight. I'm obviously a bit new to this, but is your medium run meant to be at a similar to the what you will be doing on the day of the marathon? Because judging by how I fell on my longer runs, there's no way I feel I'd be close to that pace for full distance!

Wed 15th Feb
    4.27miles - 34m 41s - 8.49min/m - 157 Avg HR

Sat 18th Feb
    13.66miles - 2h 12m 23s - 9.41min/m - 150 Avg HR

So, bit of a milestone today, up to HM distance. Was keeping an eye on the HR the whole way round and in the 145-155 rate for most of it (pushed on a bit for last mile). Knee was a bit stiff about 10miles in, bit tired to stretch it a bit as I ran and it held up ok for the last half hour. Tired, but feeling really happy after it! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement