Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life with a 2 year old in Castleknock village

• 17-09-2009 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

We are thinking of moving to Castleknock village. My husband is an absolute workarholic, so I will at home with my 2year old on my own most of the time. Is it a nice place to live? I know that traffic is very bad if you want to get out of Castleknock to go to the playgrounds, creche etc. Is it really that bad? Do you think its a nice place for a young family?Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Hi ,

well i have to say traffic in castleknock is indeed very bad, there are a lot of schools in the area so this has a dramatic effect during the school term.

the village itself is quite small, one pub, petrol station, small spar shop and one or two restaurants and that's about it really. not very interesting at all. in my opinion the people of castleknock are not exactly friendly either. of course the phoenix park is nearby and would be a good place for you and your 2 year old son to visit.

the blanchardstown shopping centre is also nearby, this has almost every shop you need but it is a drive from castleknock, depending on traffic 20mins to 30mins away. roselawn shopping centre is closer, it has tescos, boots pharmacy, a newsagents, and some smaller shops. there is a trainstation in castleknock which is good if you want to leave the car at home and travel into town by train. the number 37, 38 & 39(?) buses go through castleknock into town, single ticket costs 2.20.

that's about it really, hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 FlowerLana

Thanks for your reply. Do you live in Castleknock?
    Traffic .... We went to see the house at 8 pm last night. We couldn't get out on M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I would disagree totally with the original poster. There are a number of pubs within walking distance, some very nice restaurantrs, the canal, and in general a lovely area.

Pubs & restaurants with the 2 year old... mmm - lots of fun I can tell you:) I am more interested in activities, playgrounds, young families around. To me it seemed like a very settled area with older people living there. Am I all wrong?

Do you think traffic will be better when they finish work on N3?

it is a settled area with older people living there, some younger people too, some middle aged people and some pensioners also, what does this have to do with it?

i don't know if traffic will improve when work is finished on the N3, probably not. yes i live in castleknock, oh and i forgot there's also a flower shop in the village :pac::pac::pac:

if you want a safe area to bring up a child then castleknock is safe, well it's all relative, traffic is awful as you know, a young girl was knocked down by a car recently and was killed so you will have to be with your kid all the time.

• Advertisement

Thanks to everybody who replied. I will take it into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I'm sorry, but I cannot agree with who_ru at all.

I Don;t live in Castleknock myself, but one of my sisters has for 19 years, and another sister for the past 7.

Its a lovely area, and I find the people quite friendly.

Blanchardstown shopping centre is in no way 20-30 minutes away!!! Driving, its 10-15 MAX.

While the 'village' itself is fairly small, there are plenty of other pubs / restaurants / shops around, particularly down through Laurel Lodge, and as far down as Luttrellstown.

While its a bit of a trek to the city centre, particularly if driving (public transport is your better option, especially during rush hours), you have everything you need without having to go to the CC anyway, unless you really have to.

There are parks, playgrounds, football pitches, soccer / gaa clubs, the phoenix park, golf clubs, pubs, shops, garages, restaurants all within a small enough area of one another.

So, do I think Castleknock is a nice place to bring a family up?

In my humble opinion, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

There's an awesome playground at the Visitor Centre in the Phoenix Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

OP, you are probably best to post this in the Dublin 15 forum as you are more likely to find someone who lives in castleknock there.

Castleknock is a really nice area.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

How do you live there with such bad traffic? Or possibly yesterday was an exception, wasn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

FlowerLana wrote: »
    How do you live there with such bad traffic? Or possibly yesterday was an exception, wasn't it?
    If the house is right next to the main road in Castleknock village, then yes, the traffic is going to be bad. Especially at peak times.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Traffic in Castleknock is quite heavy- lots of people use it as a rat run to get into the Phoenix Park and elsewhere. Its pretty constant (as you discovered at 8PM last night)- but there is a noticeable drop over the summer months and on school holidays (and whenever the OPW decide to close the Phoenix Park gate-as they are going to so for 9 weeks from the 28th of September).

The village itself is very pleasant- and close to many facilities and amenities- its a bit of a walk- but you could get to the zoo in about 15 mins for example.

It would be accurate to say that its a lot more 'mature' an area than many parts of Blanch/Clonee- if you're really looking for lots of young families etc- you'd really be looking more at Dublin 15/Clonee- but personally I'd take Castleknock any day of the week over any area at all over the other side......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Is there no possibility you could move somewhere where you know people. It's not easy getting to town from Castleknock to meet up with people. I can't stand Castleknock ( Castleknock proper - not Carpenterstown, Laural Lodge etc) It's full of nouveau rich wannanbees but my sister lives there and likes it. She went to Mount Sackville though so she's "local".

Would not recommend at all.

ps. IMHO the zoo is not 15 minutes walk away, it's a good 45. I live the other side of the park and the zoo is the town end.

Grawns wrote: »
    ps. IMHO the zoo is not 15 minutes walk away, it's a good 45. I live the other side of the park and the zoo is the town end.

:D
    The wife is always telling me to slow down- I do like a good march......

You are right- there is an ersatz snob value attached to Castleknock- but the inverse of this is that it is an established area, with a good neighbourly spirit- quite unlike the badlands of Dublin15- where you could live for years without ever saying hello to your neighbours.

I'm not sure that the nouveau rich value Castleknock as much as you're implying- there are far more retired people there- than there are noveau rich.......

Just not my cup of tea at all. I know some nice people from Castleknock but if you've ever been in Myo's you'll know what I'm on about ;)

Ross O' Carroll Kelly types Rosh!!!!!!

Roysh:D Still talking about their schooldays. Pathetic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

who_ru wrote: »
    ..if you want a safe area to bring up a child then castleknock is safe, well it's all relative, traffic is awful as you know, a young girl was knocked down by a car recently and was killed so you will have to be with your kid all the time.

That girl was 12 in secondary school. And it wasn't castleknock it was diswellstown. Wasn't caused by traffic, but running after her dog, and ran out from behind a parked bus. Just beside a pedistrian crossing.

How is that in any relevent in anyway to someone with a 2yr old? Could have happened anywhere, including castleknock.

We are thinking of moving to Castleknock village. My husband is an absolute workarholic, so I will at home with my 2year old on my own most of the time. Is it a nice place to live? I know that traffic is very bad if you want to get out of Castleknock to go to the playgrounds, creche etc. Is it really that bad? Do you think its a nice place for a young family?Thanks in advance.

Why not move somewhere closer to the creche and playgrounds, so you don't have to leave to get to them? Castleknock has very bad traffic at peak. But you won't be going at peak. So not really an issue. The M50 isn't in Castleknock either. But theres traffic everywhere in Dublin but D.15 is especially bad. So if getting on to the M50 at 8pm is important issue, perhaps you might want to move closer to where ever it is you go at that time. I have no problem getting around. But then I don't try to get to the Blanch center at the weekend, or just as the shops close, or in the middle of rush hour. Thats just common sense. Blanch center is 5 mins away when theres no traffic. On a bad day it could be 40 mins. You'll get to Liffey Valley quicker tbh sometimes.

As for the area, its beside the park. What better place could you be beside for kids? Theres loads of young families in D.15 which is why theres so many schools, and all of them have huge waitlists to get into. Creches also are in big demands. You'll find some roads have more young families than others. You'll usually be able to tell this from driving around. Its cyclical, as kids grow up and leave, the parents then resize move out and a new family moves in. The cycle begins again. You just have to pick a road, or estate, area at the right time.

Theres all walks of life in castleknock, people only see what they want to see, for reasons best known to themselves. I assume that bringing a 2yr to a pub and meeting Ross O' Carroll (or Colm Farrell) types isn't going to be an issue. I dunno about the rest of you, but I don't generally go into pubs on my own, trying to make friends all the time. I usually meeting people I already know. While theres certainly a "castleknock crowd" theres vastly more regular joes.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I grew up in Castleknock and many of my friends that I grew up with eventually returned and settled in the area (in fact many never left - going straight from Mammy & Daddy's to their own first house:D).

OK first of all, there are actually two parts to Castleknock - the older part - also called "Lower Castleknock" that comprises the village proper and its immediate environs down to the Phoenix Park and up to the Navan Road. This is now a mature, settled area with the older estates (Like Deerpark, Park View, Georgian Village, College Park and College Grove) coming up on 35 to 40 years in age. Unsurprisingly, houses prices and rents are highest here. This area is full of "empty nester" mature couples, retired couples, and wealthy younger families who can afford the high house prices.

Then there is the "new" Castleknock which is basically Laurel Lodge and Carpenterstown, much of which was developoed in the last 20 years. This contains the younger families and has the best facilities (creches etc.) for small children.

Plusses about Castleknock:

Semi-rural feel and atmosphere. It's very leafy, tidy and well kept with manicured lawns, mature trees and is beside the Phoenix Park, the Liffey Valley & Strawberry Beds. Lots of open spaces and parks.

Close to city centre and airport. Straight run through the Phoenix Park into town. C'nock village is only 5 miles from O'Connell Bridge and a similar distance on the M50 from the airport.

Good schools and good range of schools - from church run private colleges to Educate Together.

Decent enough range of restaurants and eateries. Also the Royal Canal runs along the edge of Castleknock which is a nice amenity.

Now, the negatives:

Atrocious traffic. My dad still lives in Castleknock and every time I visit him the traffic is a disaster. In the 10 years since I moved out of the area the traffic has got unbelievably bad.:( Constant long tailbacks around the village seemingly at all hours of the day.

Poor public transport - only one bus service, the 37, serves
    Castleknock. It's not the most frequent or reliable. If you settle in Carpenterstown, there is the option of a rail link to town or if close to the Navan Road, the more frequent 39.

A stuck up, false, nouveau riche vibe. Whilst many of the original denizens of Castleknock are relatively down to earth, a lot of the people there between 35 and 55 are stuck up and unfriendly. These especially tend to be among the people who have moved into the older estates vacated by the first generation of residents. A lot of the teenagers in the area (often the children of the aforementioned) are utterly spoilt brats.

All in all, Castleknock is not a bad place at all to raise a small child - I was raised there lol - if you can get them into one of the schools and don't mind the traffic. If you're reliant on public transport, I'd forget about it as shopping facilities within easy strolling distance of C'nock vilage are poor - just a couple of spars and such. If you've a car, the excellent Blanchardstown Centre is about 15 mins away, depending on traffic. For weekly groceries, Tesco Roselawn and Superquinn in Blanchardstown village are about 5-10 mins away by car.

• Advertisement

Never heard of "lower castleknock". You won't hear that one from Colm Farrell. Howya bud!

Outside peak the traffic is ok. Peak though is 7~9 and 5~7. I usually pass through outside those and have no problems, unless theres something on somewhere. I bet its going to get 10 times worse when they close the park gate for two months during the worse time of the year. Clever.

BostonB wrote: »
    Never heard of "lower castleknock". You won't hear that one from Colm Farrell. Howya bud!

Outside peak the traffic is ok. Peak though is 7~9 and 5~7. I usually pass through outside those and have no problems, unless theres something on somewhere. I bet its going to get 10 times worse when they close the park gate for two months during the worse time of the year. Clever.

You do have to remember that the Phoenix Park- despite what everyone imagines- is not in fact a public road. Its a private road in a national park maintained by the OPW- and can be closed without any notice whatsoever, indefinitely, if they so choose. It can be very messy- but quite simply, its not a public road.

If they keep acting like morons it won't be park road for long. It's not just a park. It's major transport route. Pretending it's not doesn't make it not one.

BostonB wrote: »
    If they keep acting like morons it won't be park road for long. It's not just a park. It's major transport route. Pretending it's not doesn't make it not one.

Its not 'Park Road' though- its an avenue in a national park that is subject to frequent closure. Many repairs have been postponed several times over the past few years, including the new Deer Run- it is entirely possible that Chesterfield Avenue may be closed for 9 months to a year, while the runs are put in place.

By the way- there were 14 deer killed by motorists in the Park in the last year (along with 3 very scarce red squirrels). The current thinking is to ban through traffic altogether (as they have already done with commercial traffic)- as it is incapable of functioning as a national park in its current format.

Its thought that this would not happen before the M50 roadworks are complete- as much of the traffic would be directed down the Navan Road (N3) and out onto Ushers Quay (which is to get a redesigned junction).

The N3 into the city center IMO is mainly used by traffic coming from Meath. Dublin 15 has a population probably in excess of 100,000 which is bigger than Galway or Limerick. Thats whats coming through the park. You can't suddenly just cut off that many people from their primary route. They've been forced to backtrack on their traffic changes in the park before.

You've got to have some sense of reality about it. You can't have unrestricted development and build massive estates and then have no where for the traffic to go. If you think People are willing to have 2 hr journeys to save 3 squirrels, or deer that are culled anyway I think your are being a bit unrealistic.

The reality is buses and trains are not a viable alternative. There isn't the capacity. The aren't linked. Therefore cars will remain. The only way to divert cars from the Park is to give them a different route to the city center. Considering they reduced the N3 to one lane at ashtown onwards, and Chapel is physically restricted. The only real estate left to provide a solution is the park.

Personally I think they should consider upgrading the roads in the park, either through a improved ring road, or a sunken expressway, but then restrict all traffic from the park itself. But ignoring the traffic isn't going to make it go away.

You can avoid it all by cycling. Only takes 30mins on a bike from Castlenock to city center. However the cycle lanes around D.15 are dire. None lead into to the park. That said cycling through the park is a great way to start the day.

We are back at the national park versus urban road network debate again (10 years later). If you want to upgrade the road network in the park- you have to accept that its no longer a national park- and you will invite half of Lucan as well as Dublin15 into the Park as a route into the city centre. A sunken road network- might have worked when we had the money to build it- but we quite simply don't anymore.

A few dead squirrels and deer? The fact of the matter is the Park is theirs. We are intruders in their habitat. We've invested a lot of time and effort in trying to encourage the few remaining habitats of the red squirrel (the Park featured prominently in the recent Forest Service survey). As for culling the deer- the deer who had to be put down as a result of altercations with unobservant drivers- most certainly are not those that would have featured on cull lists.

Dublin 15 was allowed to grow out of control- I accept that- but the Park is not a public road- full stop- irrespective of what people's personal opinions on the matter may be. The N3 may cater primarily for Meath traffic- we're certainly going to see how capable it is of coping with the bulk of D15 traffic over the next few weeks.

Short of throwing up our hands- admitting we screwed up- and build a whole new ring road around the boundary of the Park- to join up with the exit @ North Circular/Infirmary Road- there isn't really a tenable solution.

What your suggesting has already happened. It happened 10yrs ago tbh. You only have to look at the traffic using strawberry beds/porterstown road to realise that a lot of Lucan traffic is using the park. As is not just half but most of D.15. They intend making it easier by linking from porterstown road into riverwood/laurel lodge anyway, and removing the oneway on clonsilla rd.

It would zero sense for that traffic to head out to the N3 and queue through the blanchardstown center and M50 rounabouts. The new changes above will make castleknock/phoenix park even more attractive. They tried this one way drivel before, it was chaos. I agree there isn't a tenable solution. D.15 has been ruined by over development and they've done nothing to address the transport issues of getting into the city center. They've made it worse in fact.

You could lose the space of ring road around the park and not effect the parks area significantly. There isn't the funds, and tbh I don't think it would help the traffic either. But it would remove it from the park. You don't need it on the cunningham road side. Just one side around the back of the Zoo and improve the junctions on to it. So half a ring road.

It'll never happen. The bicycle or train ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Don't forget about the train station @ Castleknock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

In Blanchardstown. The current station is a replacement for Blanchardstown station which was demolished to make way for the M50.
    This wikipedia entry is interesting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castleknock_railway_station

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I have to agree with BostonB. The idea of closing the Park off to all through traffic is unworkable and unrealistic. There were plans to do that when they started sealing off the side roads in the Park in the late 80s/early 90s but then that was stopped in its tracks.

The reality is that Dublin 15 is grossly overdeverloped and Castleknock is now paying the price and huge amounts of traffic are funnelling through the village. The road my Dad lives on is a nightmarish rat run short cut for commuter motorists.

It will be a complete nightmare when the Castleknock Gate of the Park is closed next week. Wait and see the disaster that will unfold.:( Public transport is just not adequate to replace the car based traffic. Dublin 15 is crying out for a high capacity DART line to the city but after a million empty promises nothing has materialised. The area is suffering from a traffic and transportation nightmare.

I firmly think that, in order to relieve pressure from Castleknock village, that Whites Gate should be re-opened to allow Carpenterstown/Ongar and Lucan traffic to bypass the village to the south. It was madness closing Whites Gate just as massive housing development was getting underway in Carpenterstown in the first place.

Advertisement