Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Placement In Shannon Airport

• 14-09-2011 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Afternoon chaps,

I just started college today and as part of that I need 15 days work placement (1 day a week for 15 weeks) and I was hoping to do work with airport police in Shannon. What are my chances of that happening? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

I think it is mainly red tape that prevents people from attaining short term work in the airport, especially if you require a pass to go airside. With all the security and background checks that that entails it isnt worth anybodies while Im afraid.

No harm in going down and asking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TPMP

Doesnt sound great, it seems. I might ring them up anyway and ask. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Two chances - slim and none.

Delancey wrote: »
    Two chances - slim and none.

Balls. And is that the same for ground operations too ya? It seems working in an airport is becoming an unrealistic option.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭chewits

What is your experience for and what age are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

no harm in trying, i got a 6 week placement about 4/5 years back and didnt need any background check,just had the employer/sponsor to meet me at security every day to bring me airside altho that stopped after about a week and my visitor pass only needed to be renewed once in that time,If you don't try you wont win

Doing a travel and tourism course and the area I'd like to work in is airports. I'm 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭rayz

TPMP wrote: »
    Afternoon chaps,

I just started college today and as part of that I need 15 days work placement (1 day a week for 15 weeks) and I was hoping to do work with airport police in Shannon. What are my chances of that happening? Thanks in advance.

If I was you lad, I would try Shannon Centre ATC. Plenty of goings on, and I've seen lads on work experience up here before. Dunno what they were doing exactly but if its an area you're interested in, it may be worth a shout. That 1 day a week thing is poorly thought out though. 3 weeks straight is a much more intelligent and beneficial way of going about it. You'd learn nothing going into any place once a week.
    Personally, I wouldnt be as negative on your hopes of getting in with the Fire crew or something like that. We were given a tour down with them before and they seemed to be very open to giving family tours and things like that. I'd say they would be only too happy to accept you as long as it was an unpaid work experience.

Good luck with your search anyway. Hope this helps some bit.

Thanks Rayz

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Any other places in aviation sector that would take people for work experience? except baldonnel as they are not taking any more people this year...
    Any help would greatly be appreciated, as I'm supposed to find some work experience as soon as posible for my PLC course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

I would love to do work experience in the terminal building at Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

Necro thread. Please check the dates before posting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement