Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Shopping in Belfast? Where's good and Do's & Don'ts

• 02-11-2009 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hi All.

Myself and the Mrs are heading up to Belfast in early December for a spot of Xmas shopping.

Can anyone advise on the best area for clothes shopping.

I've been to Ikea manies a time but I am not familiar with Belfast itself.

We're also hoping to stay the night so any additional info on good restaurtants, pubs, and a good hotel would be great.

Any do's and don't would also be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pixie001

Belfast city centre itself is quite small, and all areas can be reached on foot. There is a shopping centre in the centre of the city called Victoria Square, this is where House of Fraser is. There is also the Castlecourt shopping centre which has Debenhams in it.

I usually bring sterling with me – as far as I know some shops accept Euro, but I’m sure the rate wouldn’t be too favourable.

Deanes restaurant is fabulous, Cayenne (Paul Rankin’s restaurant) is really good, and there is a small seafood restaurant called Mourne Seafood is amazing! All are quite centrally located. For cocktails, I would recommend the Merchant Hotel – has a very extensive cocktail menu. This hotel used to be a bank but was converted a few years ago. It is worth going here for a coffee even, the setting is quite nice!

I think that Belfast is a great city, and is brilliant for shopping. Happy shopping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Raspberryhardon

oldscoil wrote: »
    Hi All.

Myself and the Mrs are heading up to Belfast in early December for a spot of Xmas shopping.

Can anyone advise on the best area for clothes shopping.

I've been to Ikea manies a time but I am not familiar with Belfast itself.

We're also hoping to stay the night so any additional info on good restaurtants, pubs, and a good hotel would be great.

Any do's and don't would also be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance.

Ok the guy above has good advice if you have a bucket load of money. Deanes as the guy said is great but extremley over priced as is the shoppin center he is talking about but its def worth a look.

If your on more of a budget for shopping try the city center as the lad said but try castlecourt shopping center its big and its got everything you need.

For pub grub try the Fountain bar on fountain street in the city center the food is great and very well priced. If your looking a good resturant try anywere in Botanic for good well priced resturants. If you do want to go up market try Zen its great and its cool modern and alo in the city center.

As for somewere to stay try the Malone lodge its new and really nice inside. Your about a 5min drive from the city center.

As for Do's enjoy yourself as for donts dont get on like a paranoid southerner who thinks he going to be killed because of his accent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 harps90

most shops do take euro ,but give you change in sterling. rates are pretty good and are usually displayed in windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Most of the shops you'd find in the retail parks (Boucher Road etc.) also have branches in the city centre so there's no need to head out there unless there's something specific you're after.

Re. hotels the Fitzwilliam is walking distance from town and had some specials on recently. For food Deanes is nice, so is The Northern Whig, and for a bit of 'culture' there's always Made in Belfast (http://www.madeinbelfastni.com/).

Hop up on the big wheel in the evening after your shopping if heights don't phase you. City is beautiful at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Raspberryhardon

pow wow wrote: »
    Most of the shops you'd find in the retail parks (Boucher Road etc.) also have branches in the city centre so there's no need to head out there unless there's something specific you're after.

Re. hotels the Fitzwilliam is walking distance from town and had some specials on recently. For food Deanes is nice, so is The Northern Whig, and for a bit of 'culture' there's always Made in Belfast (http://www.madeinbelfastni.com/).

Hop up on the big wheel in the evening after your shopping if heights don't phase you. City is beautiful at night.

Sorry pow not trying to get on your case but.....again Deanes is nice but very expensive...try this link you should find everything you need here OP.

http://www.viewbelfast.co.uk/default.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

oldscoil wrote: »

What sort of grub / nightlife are you into. Theres lots of variety and any taste is catered for, but it's like anywhere else in the world, you have to know where to look.

If you give more detail we can help, I know a few of the suggestions elsewhere would be unrealistic on a lot of budgets, but you havent said whether your for living it up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Sorry pow not trying to get on your case but.....again Deanes is nice but very expensive.

The OP didn't specify a price range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

Anybody know of a good retail park outside of the city?Whats Boucher Cresent retail park like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

Anybody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

Anybody?

depends what you are looking to buy! boucher road has lots of shops- all the furniture types places, B+Q, clothes shops etc. If you are looking for grocery shops as well look up places like Park centre, westwood shopping centre, kennedy centre which are all near the boucher road. Forestside is another good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Sandraf

Just back from a weekend in Belfast. Stayed in the Europa again. Good deals going on there (£145 for 2 nights including brekkie). Shopping is as already mentioned. Or you could say Castlecourt is like Henry Street and Victoria Square is like Grafton Street. Another restaurant is James Street South -bit pricy but good food. For a mid day snack try the Apartment on Donegall Square (left side of City Hall). Found this by accident but the coffee is really good and lunch is for nothing (compared to Dublin prices!). Happy shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Sorry pow not trying to get on your case but.....again Deanes is nice but very expensive...try this link you should find everything you need here OP.

http://www.viewbelfast.co.uk/default.aspx

Thanks for this link Raspberry.

I'm heading up with the Mrs, and her bor (23) and sis (18), does anyone have any recommendations for a good restayrant with great food (moderately priced....although I have no problems paying good money for good food!!!:)) ...something perhaps with not necessarily a young crowd but an energetic atmosphere...

Thanks Folks.

ps Mourne Seafood was booked out :(

Advertisement