Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call Cards

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

steveon wrote: »
    Nice site Nick and thanks for linking to my own S.C.C.C site which I unfortuently havent much time to update due to work pressures.

http://steveon2.tripod.com

Cheers Steve, no problem on the link. Used your card list to number the cards so the least I could do! I actually didn't know your site had a gallery for a good while, mainly as all the search engines picked up were the card list.
    I baught the domain irishcallcards.net and .info today so hopefully the site will be a success when word gets out :) (neither active yet ;)). There does seem to be interest out there and there are a fair few people still collecting, only after a few myself, but have the majority of them.
    At present the site is "incomplete" as the scans are only my own collection, but I am constently adding to the collection and updating the site :)

Cheers

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Fiatgirl

OMG, my kids dont even know what these are.. LOL.. my mother (rip) used to collect these, i have folders and folders or limtied editions, sets i.e coca cola etc, you name it all in mint condition. there are rare one and very rare one.. they are now all still in orginal wrapper and it album stored away in back of wardrobe. its a shame really,, as she did spend alot of money on these, she was joined the club on dame st, dublin and also have internaional cards and set,.. beautiful sets. Once mobiles came they really went out the window

Fiatgirl wrote: »
    OMG, my kids dont even know what these are.. LOL.. my mother (rip) used to collect these, i have folders and folders or limtied editions, sets i.e coca cola etc, you name it all in mint condition. there are rare one and very rare one.. they are now all still in orginal wrapper and it album stored away in back of wardrobe. its a shame really,, as she did spend alot of money on these, she was joined the club on dame st, dublin and also have internaional cards and set,.. beautiful sets. Once mobiles came they really went out the window

Hi Fiatgirl,

Callcards were very collectable during the 90s, early 00's and as you say some fantastic cards were produced. I would keep the collection and pass it down to your kids rather than selling, be a nice thing to keep in the family. I have loads of cards myself, mainly ones I found in callboxes as a kid, I nearly have all the Telecom Eireann/eircom cards that were ever made, have around 400+ Irish cards alone!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 41 L0dgik

I have a collection there over over 150... a lot brand new in wrapper <EDIT>? im just not into collection anymore.

Please familiarise yourself with the forum charter.No buying or selling is permitted on the forum.Moderator

L0dgik wrote: »
    I have a collection there over over 150... a lot brand new in wrapper <EDIT>? im just not into collection anymore.
    Stick them up on www.adverts.ie

Nick

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    Stick them up on www.adverts.ie

Nick

would eBay not be better? start a auction @ 1 euro and see how they go?
    the mint new ones in the wrapper den 3 euro... could b a few bob in dis lol

would eBay not be better? start a auction @ 1 euro and see how they go?
    the mint new ones in the wrapper den 3 euro... could b a few bob in dis lol

Ebay is a gamble, and you have the fees, Adverts is free. You may make more money on ebay, or significantly less. What cards have you got? I'm after all ireland hurling and a few of the world cup ones, put them up on adverts or ebay and sure ill see them there

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Cheers Steve, no problem on the link. Used your card list to number the cards so the least I could do! I actually didn't know your site had a gallery for a good while, mainly as all the search engines picked up were the card list.
    I baught the domain irishcallcards.net and .info today so hopefully the site will be a success when word gets out :) (neither active yet ;)). There does seem to be interest out there and there are a fair few people still collecting, only after a few myself, but have the majority of them.
    At present the site is "incomplete" as the scans are only my own collection, but I am constently adding to the collection and updating the site :)

Cheers

Nick

I get a lot of emails from people but unfortunetly most are trying to sell, I alike you am a collector who never wanted to make anything from callcard collecting it was simply a hobby for me as a kid and I was lucky enough to work for a dealer for a few yrs which helped me build up my collection enormously. I must try and go through a few boxes and see what I have as doubles and let people have them as I hate seeing them wasted ...

steveon wrote: »
    I get a lot of emails from people but unfortunetly most are trying to sell, I alike you am a collector who never wanted to make anything from callcard collecting it was simply a hobby for me as a kid and I was lucky enough to work for a dealer for a few yrs which helped me build up my collection enormously. I must try and go through a few boxes and see what I have as doubles and let people have them as I hate seeing them wasted ...

Steve,

If you have any all Ireland Hurling or Simply Talk/World cup cards spare get in touch. You can see the cards I'm looking for here.

Cheers,

Nick

Steve,

If you have any all Ireland Hurling or Simply Talk/World cup cards spare get in touch. You can see the cards I'm looking for here.

Cheers,

Nick

I have a few football n gaa there

how much do the limerick trial cards go for?

• Advertisement

I have a few football n gaa there

how much do the limerick trial cards go for?

Around €60-70, maybe less for a full set, that is 5u-100u cards. The lower the cards the less valueable they are obviously, so the 100u alone may get €40 while the 10u may get €4-5. It all depends though.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Just to remind everyone that no buying or selling is permitted on this forum and all sales can be conducted on www.adverts.ie ,please check the forum charter for further info.Moderator

Around €60-70, maybe less for a full set, that is 5u-100u cards. The lower the cards the less valueable they are obviously, so the 100u alone may get €40 while the 10u may get €4-5. It all depends though.

Nick

how can you tell the difference?

how can you tell the difference?

Well the cards say how many units are on the card (The limerick Autelca cards are a flimsy kind of plastic with a green arrow, see here). A large amount of the trial cards are likely mint as well, especially the Galway trial ones which didn't last long.
    Its hard to tell you if you put the set on ebay you'd get €70, if you put it up with a starting bit of €1 it may only reach €30-€40 if even, its really hard to guess. I've seen some quite rare cards like the Shamrock going for €5 and the Royal Hospital card €33 on ebay, the royal hospital card used to go for well over €100 a few years ago and around €70-€80 the last while. I got it for €46.
    Your best bet is to put the cards up on adverts, at least with that you have control of the prices, and don't have to sell if you don't want to. Ebay also has listing fees, adverts doesn't.
    My 2cs anyways!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Collection of about 400 put up on Adverts.

Found them under the bed.

http://www.adverts.ie/1432805

• Registered Users Posts: 2 indiel

I put my collection up here http://www.adverts.ie/1448738

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

I have thousands of callcards from the 90s, is there anyway if people are looking for certain cards that they can post a picture of it. I wouldn't have a clue what half of them are called but I know my collection is extremely vast.

I know I have 1 or 2 that were of only 1000 produced.

What cards are considered the most valuable? I will definitely put them up on adverts but would need to do a bit of research on them first as it's been a long time since I have looked at them

EDIT:
    Just some samples of the 5units and 100units I have (again not looking at selling just looking at valuation first)

MINT
    3 Eagle Stars
    1 Four Courts Dublin
    1 CAN
    1 Yesteryear

USED
    Blank eircom callcard
    Call for justice
    Kellogg's
    An Slua Muiri
    Bloomsday
    Suzuki Method
    Oisin
    Feis Ceoil
    Butterfly
    Castle
    Teilifis na Gaeilge
    An tOireachtas
    Department of health
    Economy

3 Eagle Stars €15-€30. Heard of it going for as low as €10
    1 Four Courts Dublin 10-15€
    1 CAN ""
    1 Yesteryear 3-5€

USED
    Blank eircom callcard 5-10€
    Call for justice 3-5€
    Kellogg's 0 (unless part of a lot/not valuable)
    An Slua Muiri 3-10€
    Bloomsday ""
    Suzuki Method ""
    Oisin Gemplus Chip more common than sclum/still not sure you'd get much for either
    Feis Ceoil ""
    Butterfly ""
    Castle Is this the rock of cashel? Its worth a few quid, could be worth €20 in good used condition
    Teilifis na Gaeilge 4-10€
    An tOireachtas 0
    Department of health 3-10€
    Economy Schlum chip is rarer, only 10, 000 made. Stilt not sure its worth much

I am basing the above off ebay prices. I've seen the Eagle Star go for ridiculous money, you have some nice cards in that collection :) . "" means as price above btw

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 32 babouska

I have a callcard collection ranging from common to very rare both used and mint (about 15 albums). I was thinking about putting some doubles up on adverts to make some holiday money, can anyone give me a link to a good site for callcard valuation and does anyone know how much the global chipcard alliance card series 1998 set is worth as I have a few of these sets. As far as I can remember it was a set comprising of 10 cards designed by 10 different countries, 1000 released world wide with 100 sets only in Ireland. Many thanks

babouska wrote: »
    I have a callcard collection ranging from common to very rare both used and mint (about 15 albums). I was thinking about putting some doubles up on adverts to make some holiday money, can anyone give me a link to a good site for callcard valuation and does anyone know how much the global chipcard alliance card series 1998 set is worth as I have a few of these sets. As far as I can remember it was a set comprising of 10 cards designed by 10 different countries, 1000 released world wide with 100 sets only in Ireland. Many thanks

If you want details of the print runs you can use my site www.irishcallcards.net for an idea. Throw up a few pics on adverts and see how you get on, A mint gca set could get you €50 easily maybe more I'd say, it all depends on who wants the card though, if you need advice on any particular cards just post up a list of what you have on here!

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 babouska

Thank you :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Just going through my collection of used callcards tonight. I have about 150 of the horses (10unit) and 100 of the cottage (20 unit).

I noticed at least one cottage card with a very defined serrated edge along the top, and one horses with a very slight serrated edge also along the top (I'd have to check the rest thoroughly to be sure there are no more).

From my recollection, I think I came across this a bit on other cards, and so its probably pretty common.

Any one else encountered this? And does anyone have an explanation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Danco

Just going through my collection of used callcards tonight. I have about 150 of the horses (10unit) and 100 of the cottage (20 unit).

I noticed at least one cottage card with a very defined serrated edge along the top, and one horses with a very slight serrated edge also along the top (I'd have to check the rest thoroughly to be sure there are no more).

From my recollection, I think I came across this a bit on other cards, and so its probably pretty common.

Any one else encountered this? And does anyone have an explanation?

These cards are common enough. The serrated edge was created either when the card was being packed in it's plastic wrapper or when it was originally being cut from a larger sheet of plastic with many cards printed on it. If a card was a few millimetres out of place when being packed or cut, the machinery used would give it a serrated edge.

For cards like the Cottage and Irish Horse Racing there will be numerous examples of cards with serrated edges out there because so many of these cards were printed. Generally there would be a few serrated edge cards in every batch printed.

The World Cup '94 and Trinity 400 cards also turn up with a serrated edges quite often. These cards are not hugely valuable, but people do collect them so if you have a card that is more serrated than normal, or one that is in unusually good condition you'd probably get something for it. I'd imagine a sealed example of a serrated card would be a big deal for some collectors too, as would a serrated version of a card that was issued in a small print run.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

A few snaps of my rares as I had a look through my collection as someone pm'ed me asking me about the Communications '93 one. I did notice that the older ones that I have haven't aged well at all. Even some of the mint ones in their plastic wrapper appear very faded...

th_Communications93-Cover.jpg
    th_Communications93-inside.jpg
    th_eircomnamechange-inside.jpg
    th_eircomnamechange-cover.jpg
    th_esop-cover.jpg
    th_esop-inside.jpg
    th_JFK-WalletandHalfpennyBridgeatNight.jpg

Lister1 wrote: »
    A few snaps of my rares as I had a look through my collection as someone pm'ed me asking me about the Communications '93 one. I did notice that the older ones that I have haven't aged well at all. Even some of the mint ones in their plastic wrapper appear very faded...

Do you still have the mint JFK 100u with the wallet? That card could be worth a few quid for you mint with wallet. If your interested in selling then put them up on adverts, should be able to get a few quid for each of the mint ones in their folders.
    I'm after a different run of the dublin millenium with the white spot on the notch so unfortunately none there I need

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Do you still have the mint JFK 100u with the wallet?
    Nick

Afraid not, I have two wallets but no cards. Either way I dont plan on parting with these. Memories of my early years collecting them are worth more then money....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 scullyxxx

my dad owns a call card from 1992. its a great irish famine walk event card. any body have any idea of its value?

scullyxxx wrote: »
    my dad owns a call card from 1992. its a great irish famine walk event card. any body have any idea of its value?

Do you have a picture, its not this one:
    phoca_thumb_m_cobh.jpg
    is it?
    That card had 125, 000 made and is very common, it would be worth a few euro mint, but nothing used. I'm not aware of any other famine related card (although its possible there is a different brand/non chipped remote memory cards out there ;) ),

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

A friend was asking Me if I knew how to get Call cards valued, So I said I would ask the Good and kind people of "boards.ie" So any help would be great, He has a few books of Cards, Mostly Irish some Mint, a lot of European and middle east and some Japanese.
    Ware is the best place to find a value for them?? Thanks In advance :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Check eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=irish+phonecard&_sacat=See-All-Categories to see what prices identical ones are fetching? In general they don't appear particularly valuable as there were so many produced. The big interest in callcards seems to have passed and even up to date catalogues seem to have petered out years ago but I could be wrong.

Here's a relatively recent Irish phonecard website but it's still fairly quiet.

http://www.irishcallcards.net/ :)

Advertisement