Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ComReg list of DTT transmitters & frequencies.

• 04-08-2008 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Scottish paddy

Saw this on Comreg site.
    Licensing Digital Terrestrial Television
    40 ComReg 07/65
    Appendix A – List of Transmission sites
    The following, List A and List B, are sites where suitable DVB-T frequency
    assignments have been identified. International co-ordination is currently in process
    for List A and List B sites, final technical details are not known at the time of this
    publication. The frequency assignments listed come from Ireland’s GE06 frequency
    plan. Multiplexes (MUX) 1 to 4 are indicated.

LIST A - Main Transmitters MUX 1 - 4
    Cairn Hill 41 44 47 51
    Clermont Carn 53 57 60 63
    Holywell Hill 25 30 32 35
    Dungarvan 55 59 62 65
    Kippure 54 58 61 64
    Maghera 55 48 67 65
    Mt Leinster 39 42 45 49
    Mullaghanish 21 24 25 28
    Spur Hill 45 49 66 68
    Three Rock 54 58 61 64
    Truskmore 52 56 53 57
    Woodcock Hill 41 44 47 51

LIST B MUX 1 - 4
    Achill 41 44 47 51
    Aranmore 41 44 47 51
    Casla 41 44 47 51
    Castlebar 22 25 28 32
    Castletownbere 55 59 62 65
    Clifden 23 26 29 33
    Clonmel 55 59 62 65
    Crosshaven 45 49 66 68
    Drogheda 21 24 27 31
    Kilduff 53 57 60 63
    Fanad 55 59 62 65
    Falcarragh 22 25 28 32
    Greystones 52 56 66 68
    Iorras 22 25 28 32
    Kilkeeveragh 41 44 47 51
    Knockmoyle 52 56 66 68
    Letterkenny 53 57 60 63
    Suir Valley 52 56 66 68
    There are more sites noted, but without channel numbers.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Thanks for list.

I'm curious about Truskmore though. Using 52, 53, 56 and 57. Seems strange having the frequencies so close together, something that couldn't happen with analogue!

I can see trouble for installations that use certain A/E combiners for reception from Brougher and Truskmore. Some Triax 5153 model for example, the "E" side goes from C53-C69, so rejection for C52! Nothing a new combiner won't fix though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I saw that list before, and I think it was referenced to before. Thanks for posting that list.

What alarms me is the bit about Drogheda broadcasting on the same frequencies as Divis, albeit on vertical polarisation.

Still, for those living in the town and south of it, the polarisation will not matter, the Divis signal will be completely overwhelmed. And the somewhat more common setup for NI TV to come from Kilkeel, the high gain amps and grid aerials used for this might have issues dealing with 130 watts ERP from the Lourdes Hospital. Though I'd say Kilkeel reception will be largely unaffected.

What f***ing lunacy is this to put it on that allocation?! It's quite cynical to force this upon unsuspecting people who will wake up to snow on their UK channels without warning. I'll be damned if I see anyone in Drogheda pay money to boxer because of ComReg's arrogance in trying to kill off the overspill.

For the record, the brougher mountain analogue frequencies would work perfectly fine in the area, but not when the Navan relay is to get the allocation I believe. I don't see what's wrong with using Ch 30 32 34 37 as an allocation instead of the Divis ones though?!

It's probably goodbye to Brougher Mtn reception in the Mayo/Roscommon area thanks to Castlebar too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Scottish paddy

I think that most people after UK ASO are going to realise that if they want free UK tv then its got to be Freesat. "Free" tv in Ireland post 2012 will mean a MPEG-4 DTT box for Irish tv and an UK Freesat box, otherwise its cable, $ky, or Boxer. There are not going to be a huge amount of people with useable UK freeview signals.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Dungarvan 55 59 62 65
    Clonmel 55 59 62 65

Looks strange to me that they would give Dungarvan and Clonmel the same frequencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Thought that too as it is only a 20 minute drive between both.

• Advertisement

• Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Thought that too as it is only a 20 minute drive between both.
    Different direction,different polarity and low power and there should not be a problem.

I notice Arfon in Wales have had a major refurbishment on it's UHF aerial stack.
    I was getting worried here as the reception was shoite since last january.
    Within the last 6 weeks or so it's gone like a mirror again which augers well for anyone that wants to use it for UK freeview anywhere from Greystones south to around Gorey/Courtown.
    It won't have the commercial channels,just the pbs muxes but it will give all the BBC's,CH4,CH5,E4 etc.
    Anyone with existing good arfon should be fine as it's not using kippure or Mt Leinsters channels.
    It's going to be only about 2k erp but considering presely can make it over most of the time on half that...it should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

As I've mentioned before, the increase in power for Preseli and the use of a number of the same frequencies can only cause problems (regardless of mpeg2/4 transmission) across the sea.

There are reports of people being able to pick up the Irish test along the Pembrokeshire coast, where they are unable to pick up Preseli. It is clearly being done to avoid spill over, which is a bit pathetic if it could cause loss of signal due to interference.

Interestingly Boxer (in their application document) have highlighted the need for a Wexford town relay (presumably Forth Mountain) but the maps show no coverage improvement when the signal is switched on!

What channel is RTE currently using for DTT from Mt. Leinster?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭In the old days

Surely Kippure and 3 Rock can't be on exactly the same frequencies, can they? I can receive both perfectly from Terenure with an extremely cheap B&Q aerial and I'm sure it's the same for most of Dublin. Would this not cause massive co-channel interference?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

marclt wrote: »
    As I've mentioned before, the increase in power for Preseli and the use of a number of the same frequencies can only cause problems (regardless of mpeg2/4 transmission) across the sea.

There are reports of people being able to pick up the Irish test along the Pembrokeshire coast, where they are unable to pick up Preseli. It is clearly being done to avoid spill over, which is a bit pathetic if it could cause loss of signal due to interference.

Interestingly Boxer (in their application document) have highlighted the need for a Wexford town relay (presumably Forth Mountain) but the maps show no coverage improvement when the signal is switched on!

What channel is RTE currently using for DTT from Mt. Leinster?
    Which document did you find Boxer mentioning the need for a relay in Wexford? A link would be brilliant if you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

Which document did you find Boxer mentioning the need for a relay in Wexford? A link would be brilliant if you have it.

Hi to be confirmed

here it is... http://www.bci.ie/DTT/boxer/licencea_section8_print.pdf the document is on the BCI website... boxer have a number of plans for fill in relays to compliment the higher power sites.... looks quite ambitious... who knows if it will ever happen!!!

marc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Surely Kippure and 3 Rock can't be on exactly the same frequencies, can they? I can receive both perfectly from Terenure with an extremely cheap B&Q aerial and I'm sure it's the same for most of Dublin. Would this not cause massive co-channel interference?

Could be running in an SFN?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭thomasking22008

i find this bci seem interesting about dtt

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Or sectorised. Three rock has no coverage to west & South West.

Kippure could have more than 180 degrees and still not illuminate Three Rock areas. at least half of Kippure's coverage can't be seen by Three Rock at all as hills in the way..
    m-dublin.png

You just need a Kippure aerial with North to East missing...

That would be Chimney/outdoor aerial coverage, or set-top aerial with window view of Three Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Watty,

Do you have a similar map for Clermont Carn?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

coylemj wrote: »

Thanks,but I already seen that map for the analogue signal.

You can compare the 3rock coverage on that site too against the pic in this thread- a big difference between analogue and the DTT.

Hence me looking for the DTT coverage map.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

mullingar wrote: »
    Watty,

Do you have a similar map for Clermont Carn?

Thanks

I don't know the directional features of Clermont Carn.

The maps are "easy"* to make if one has the mast, aerial and power specifications.

(* For anyone familiar with Radio Planning and "Radio Mobile" software).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

That's not for Clermont Carn, that's for Cairn Hill. Irish-tv.com also has a Clermont Carn map. Not sure if it's what you're looking for but might help you in some way, I dunno. Here it is anyway.

http://www.irish-tv.com/clermontplot.jpg

Thanks for all your help, I live in Mullingar and want to get DTT. My local mast is Cairn Hill in Longford, but according to the BCI, it wont go digital for another year. From the map for the analogue signal, I live on the outer fringe for coverage
    clermontplot.jpg

I have a Triax100 already pointing to Brougher mountain with a reasonable analogue BBC pic also a very intermittant Freeview signal, so I must be reasonably high up.
    I am getting my hands on a nearly new Televes DAT45 aerial which I plan to point to Clermont Carn and I wanted to know if it was remotely possible to pick up the DTT from there.

On a side note, does anybody know the polarity for the DTT on ch53 for Clermont Carn? I know the analogue is vertical (Gp C/D).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That picture you posted is the coverage map for Clermont Carn. In Mullingar you're well within the coverage area for Cairn Hill over in Longford.

On the subject of polarity, my understanding is that the polarity of each UHF transmission will not change because the policy is that anybody currently receiving analogue on an indoor or rooftop aerial will just need to purchase a set top box to receive DTT i.e. the aerial will not need to be changed or realigned.

• Advertisement

That picture you posted is the coverage map for Clermont Carn. In Mullingar you're well within the coverage area for Cairn Hill over in Longford.

On the subject of polarity, my understanding is that the polarity of each UHF transmission will not change because the policy is that anybody currently receiving analogue on an indoor or rooftop aerial will just need to purchase a set top box to receive DTT i.e. the aerial will not need to be changed or realigned.

Thanks for your reply, Vertical it is then.

(;)PS I already made reference to Cairn Hill in my previous post ;)),

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭satwyn

wonder if anyone can help i currently receive the rte channels from 9e ka band but i was thinking of trying the kippure transmitter but have no knowledge of the type of antenna needed and if it's possible here in pwllheli north wales coast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

satwyn wrote: »
    wonder if anyone can help i currently receive the rte channels from 9e ka band but i was thinking of trying the kippure transmitter but have no knowledge of the type of antenna needed and if it's possible here in pwllheli north wales coast

If it is possible you need a group C/D high gain UHF aerial mounted horizontally.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭satwyn

thanks do you have advice on a good aerial and i will probably need a pre amp to boost signal

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Blake DMX High Gain range of aerials - http://www.blake-uk.com/12-dmx-high-gain, the new reduced band Group T aerial would be recommended for Kippure to avoid problems with 4g if reception is possible.

Masthead amps - http://www.blake-uk.com/32-masthead-amplifiers-outdoor-low-noise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

Really it depends how high you are. I've received Kippure in a motorhome on the hills just outside Caernarfon with a 10 element wideband and no amplifier.

Advertisement