Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BEER REVIEWS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

i had a bottle of Curim on saturday night that i got in Tescos. it was the last one though, anyone got any idea where else might stock this or other Carlow Brewery beers?

Don't worry Fred you can pick them up in most places. It's not a bad beer at all, and good to see more Irish beers on the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭turtleshead

Dont know if anyone has tasted it or if its available in Ireland but Dos Equis Amber is probably the best dark beer I have tasted, its a dark Mexican beer, nice malt flavour to it.

Anyone ever had it or know where in Ireland its available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pacman.podge

HOEGAARDEN!!!! O belgium beer!!!! soooo soooo wort the 30 euro in dunnes for like 6 bottle!! bu a rip off considerin its only like a euro for a huge tankard of it in bulguim!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

What do people make of the new ice cold budweiser?? Either tap or bottle?? The new bottles deadly i think....

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

focus_mad wrote: »
    What do people make of the new ice cold budweiser?? Either tap or bottle?? The new bottles deadly i think....

ariGTFO.gif

• Advertisement

whats that all about???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I think her is referring to the fact that Bud is a crap beer, Chilling beer too much takes away what little flavour a beer like Bud has so a super chilled Bud would be like icewater with some beer flavour added in.
    It is a marketing gimmick just like coors light and their mountain that turns blue on the bottle.

Now I will admit that a cold beer is more refreshing than a slightly chilled or room temp beer but the difference in taste is is considerable.
    A cold Guinness has little flavour but a room temp Guinness reveals what is hidden, still not a patch on O' Haras stout but the same goes for any beer. Warmer beer = more flavour but less refreshment on a warm day.

ah right, I can see what you mean. I just wanted to see what people thought because in the bar I work in our main clentele are students and the bottles and kegs are flying out now that they are chilled at -5.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭caspermccormack

corona, pure ****e! is the lime a mexican thing to keep the flies away? nothing to do with the flavor.

Like the rice beers, very refreshing. Also like moosehead not bad at a barby! But can't fault auld Arthur! Should be the patron saint in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

corona, pure ****e! is the lime a mexican thing to keep the flies away? nothing to do with the flavor.

No, it make you look cool:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

May or may not have been mentioned here previously, but I was in the Spar in Saggart last weekend and picked up a 6 pack of Duff Beer. Wasn't a bad beer at all either. I have a photo of it on the mobile (but don't have the software to hook it up to the computer so can't upload it at the mo. Will if I get the chance). Anyway was a decent beer, Belgian, the packaging was all spot on, exactly like on the Simpsons. 5% abv. A bit steep though €12.99 for 6 pack!

6.99 for a 6 pack in Sweeney's Wine Merchants in Phibsboro (Glasnevin actually but anyway...) didn't think it was a bad beer at all, cheap anyway. I think they have 24 bottles for 24euro also.

Any Franziskaner lovers out there?

jozi wrote: »

Any Franziskaner lovers out there?

yup

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

Recent tastings:

Kalnapilis - Lithuanian cheap and rough enough taste to it
    Fullers ESB - Not a fan too spicey for my liking
    Old Empire India Pale Ale - Quite nice enjoyed it
    Affligem - Cheap version of Duvel but its a nice beer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Hi all, my first post in BGRH and possibly slightly off topic but here's my problem:

I just bought one of those 5 litre Graffenwalder mini-kegs in Lidl and in my eagerness to sample the contents I've broken the valve on top of the keg which needs to be closed again to prevent the beer going flat. What is the wisdom and advice of BGRH members? Should I drink the lot tonight and ring in sick to work tomorrow or stop after a couple of litres and let the rest go to waste? A mate said something about taping over the broken valve but that sounds a bit risky - it might still go flat.

Just to stay on topic, the beer isn't too bad but a little bit bland for a hefe weissbier. Good value for the price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Think I've an addiction to Erdinger Dunkel. Even though it's almost summer, getting warm for a dose of heavy beer like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I like this alot ,although it is a sipping beer to be enjoyed over a extended period of time.I ended up polishing it off over a few nights.Would'nt mind another bottle.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055561128

€150 worth of beer? Jaysus Fullers Vintage reserve is a bargain at €10 compared to that :D
    I think I would like to try some.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

normally im a big wine drinker but every now and then i get a gra from some beer. I like those Belgian beers the best. At the moment im drinking something called Tyskie i think its Polish its nice i got it in disco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ronan o'meara

If i can i buy Sam Adams in an offy. Lovely stuff. Bit of an acquired taste but good.

My faves though are Pilsner Urquell & Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Never seen either for sale here though which is a pain in the balls :( Acquired a taste for Urquell on a stag weekend in Prague and fell in love with it. Strong tasty stuff but no hangover = the perfect beer.

That said i do enjoy me pint of Carlsberg when its nice and bubbly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

My faves though are Pilsner Urquell & Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Never seen either for sale here though which is a pain in the balls .

Available in good off licences and pubs around the country

This map will give go a good Idea where to look around the country

HERE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Picked up some Schofferhoffer Weisen in Aldi earlier - just under €2.Really nice beer,first time I've seen it in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭schmel22

Dont know if anyone has tasted it or if its available in Ireland but Dos Equis Amber is probably the best dark beer I have tasted, its a dark Mexican beer, nice malt flavour to it.

Anyone ever had it or know where in Ireland its available?

Hey,my boyfriend is american and I am trying to find Dos Equis as a surprise for his birthday - have you found out where it is available?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

Pilsner Urquell & Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Never seen either for sale here though which is a pain in the balls :( Acquired a taste for Urquell on a stag weekend in Prague and fell in love with it. Strong tasty stuff but no hangover = the perfect beer.

got me a 4 pack of Urquell in Dunnes at the weekend, 7 euro odd. Dunnes actually have a good seslection of beers now

SINK THE BISMARK

Worlds strongest beer?.
    Has anyone tried this beer?.Just curious as to what its like.
    Last week tThe local off licence had 2 bottles in stock @ €70 each,but sold both of them.Told me they were 40%+

No.not to me.:(

http://www.brewdog.com/product/sink-the-bismarck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Picked up some Schofferhoffer Weisen in Aldi earlier - just under €2.Really nice beer,first time I've seen it in Ireland.

Another thumbs up. Had in in Germany and was very pleased to see it in Aldi.

Aventinus in the Porterhouse is still my favourite beer. But even compared to Rochefort 12 or Westmalle Tripel I have to be careful drinking it, probably because it's strong and coming in pints.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Carrig lager. I tried it for the first (and second) time yesterday. The taste is great. That's my review.

Anyone else tried this one?.
    Just had a couple ,very tasty...............lots of flavour.Pretty expensive as beers go,but ok for a special occasion.One thing you can say for Monks,they know how to make a decent beer.:D

Don't know if I would drink too many of them,but nice if you were only in the mood for a couple.

Many beer drinkers rank Westvleteren 12 among their favourite beers.[9][10] The 8 and the Blonde also rank highly on beer-rating websites.
    In June 2005, when Westvleteren 12 was again highlighted as "Best Beer in the World", news organizations followed this up and articles appeared in the international press, highlighting the beer ranking and the unusual business policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭10-10-20

3 Monts from Brasserie St-Sylvestre in the Flanders area of North France along the Belgian border. It's named after three mounds which are found on the border, and not after three months of conditioning like I thought it was...!

It's a heady 8.5% and is sold in 75cl bottles, usually for ~€6 or so.

I think it's fantastic. You can find it in Molloys anyhow. I have a bottle on chill at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Having read through this thread a few days ago I decided to buy me a few bottles of different beers.

First one I'm sipping now - Innis & Gunn (mentioned on here already) - really lovely beer. Its dark and smooth. Can't remember the price but its a 75cl bottle. Got it in Super Valu. Would highly recommend.

Have a few more in the fridge for tasting. One old favourite is Erdinger wheat beer.

Funny and true story about Erdinger. Myself and a mate developed a taste for it and persuaded our local publican to get it in. He proudly told us a few days later that he had gotten in a few cases of it. Grand job, we drank it that night. And the next night. The third night we came in we asked for two bottles of the stuff and he told us he was out of it. We asked who else was drinking it, he said no-one was. We told him he couldn't be out of it so. We kept at him until he admitted that he wasn't out of it but wouldn't serve us anymore of it. When we pressed him on why he told us:

'Ye used to come in here before and drink 8 or 10 pints, now ye go home wheeling after four bottles of that stuff - shur I'm making nothing off ye.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Well's Waggle Dance.

A 5% honey beer. Got it in Super Valu. Was expecting it to be really sweet obviously but its not at all sweet. Very refreshing, would drink it again but not necessarily buy it again. Decent beer though.

Advertisement