Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iceland - Ballyfermot

• 10-11-2008 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody know what's going on with the Iceland up there? Just noticed last week that they put up a new sign and the shutter was up . Is it reopening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 aman

It is, within the next two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

As Iceland? Are they coming back into Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

aman wrote: »
    It is, within the next two weeks.

wow cool! Thanks

Onkle wrote: »
    As Iceland? Are they coming back into Ireland?

Yes a new Iceland store (under franchise) is scheduled to open on the 19th November.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Will Kerry Katona be coming over for the opening?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Definitely not!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

does anyone know if any of the others are re-opening? namely dun laoghaire and edenmore

I know the owner of the franchise & it's only Ballyfermot opening at the moment.

I noticed this and was wondering what's going on. I guessed Iceland must be coming back if they had the new logos on the building, why else would they do it?

I have a feeling they had always intended to come back, their stores on the Navan Road and Talbot Street were never sold. I don't know about the Talbot Street store but the one on the Navan Road still bears the old Iceland signage. I also noticed www.iceland.ie has been reserved. Maybe they're seeing the recession as a gap in the market for another discounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

phasers wrote: »
    wow cool! Thanks
    LOL :D How appropriate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Not surprised at the high level of interest in Iceland. ;)

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Nice one! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

fry-see-what-you-did-there-scaled.jpg

:D

Karsini wrote: »
    II have a feeling they had always intended to come back, their stores on the Navan Road and Talbot Street were never sold. I don't know about the Talbot Street store but the one on the Navan Road still bears the old Iceland signage. I also noticed www.iceland.ie has been reserved. Maybe they're seeing the recession as a gap in the market for another discounter.

They didn't really have any plans for coming back into Ireland for the foreseeable future. They were unable to sell the leases on the stores including Ballyfermot. The franchisee approached them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Kershaw.D

They have opened today
    Everything's really cheap today
    But V Busy
    And yes kerry katona was there

She was? Aww I wish I'd been there...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

phasers wrote: »
    She was? Aww I wish I'd been there...

Too punch her in the face im guessing?

I can't believe that any franchise holder would consider that trollop an asset at the opening of their business, given her recent erratic behaviour. Maybe the grannies of Ballyfermot still love her.

She was NOT there - Chinese whispers I'm afraid (or not:)).

It was really busy though.

Too punch her in the face im guessing?
    How did you know? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 rockchick101

aman wrote: »
    Yes a new Iceland store (under franchise) is scheduled to open on the 19th November.
    and i for one am delighted t see them coming back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭aingeal_croi

can someone tell me where it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Grange cross,drive straight up ballyfermot road,you can't miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

Big Iceland fan used to use the one in Ballyfermot untill it closed, it was one of the cheapest shopping you could do as nearly everything was on deal.

Went to the new store on the open day thinking that I ws going to be doing my shopping in Dublin again and was very disappointed. The store is a complete rip off. Items priced for £ 1 sterling they were selling for € 1.75, items 3 for £ 5 they were charging 3 for € 9. Taking the worst conversion rate in the last 4 months at .75 to sterling this would convert to € 6.67 not €9. How can they justify this type of markup.

Some of the items in the fridges were not priced, in the 2 coke fridges nothing was priced but 1 of these roller sheet had been pulled down.

I think I will go to Newry in future

That is obscene! Given that the store has only just opened there is no excuse for using sterling rates of earlier in the year, and even if there was, it's a long time since the rate was €1.75 to the pound.

With greed like that, I hope this store gets treated with contempt by those who consider shopping there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

That is obscene! Given that the store has only just opened there is no excuse for using sterling rates of earlier in the year, and even if there was, it's a long time since the rate was €1.75 to the pound.

With greed like that, I hope this store gets treated with contempt by those who consider shopping there.
    It was never at 1.75. 1.72 is the high.

Regardless you can't compare like (uk) with like (irl).

I was in there today, it's absolute muck.

Gutted :(

Regardless you can't compare like (uk) with like (irl).
    +1

For a start, the VAT rates are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I'd guess nothing to do with the vat rate or the exchange rate but the fact it's now a franchisee and not run by the company themselves and being the only store in ROI now you can only compare prices to UK or NI ones.

• Advertisement

Seriously? You think the VAT rate explains why a price in Euro which should be 1.2 times the sterling price is actually 1.75 times the price?

You're having a laugh.

It's no wonder people are shopping in the North in their droves when this level of greed is on display down here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement