Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC build help (~€600)

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Markd250 wrote: »
    Actually, if you're getting the 2500K, an aftermarket cooler will allow you to overclock it more safely/quietly. Something like the artic cooling freezer pro?
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=49255&agid=669

What do u guys make of this? I would like to try overclocking. I'll be using PSU (Termaltake TR2-470). Would this be loud? Worth getting or i'll be alright?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well 2500k is overclockers dream. Getting it and not ocing it is a sin. If you still got some budget left for aftermarket CPU cooler then get it, thought if money tight, then stick with stock for now.
    You still can pc it up to safe 4.0 on stock cooler. To be honest there is nothing there that will max out even stock clock... ( game wise )

Dunno about psu though, I newer came across that brand, but if it can handle that system and 6870 them it has to have room for some light OC.

Cheers. I'm worried the PSU i already have won't be up to the task of this new PC...

Here's the specs of the Termaltake TR2-470W
    Model W0089
    Type ATX 12V 2.0
    Color Black
    Dimension 14cmx15cmx8.6cm
    PFC Power Factor Correction PFC
    Power Good Signal 100-500 ms
    Hold Up Time 8ms minimum at 80%
    Net Weight 1.93 kg
    Input current 9.0A / 5.0A
    Input Frequency Range 47 ~ 63 Hz
    Input Voltage 115 VAC / 230 VAC
    Cooling System One 12cm Fan :
    - SPEED : 2400 RPM (+/-10%)
    - DIMENSION : 120 x 120 x 25 mm
    - TEMP. AUTO CONTROL
    1525 rpm at 28.6 C ~2393 rpm at 64.8 C
    Noise 19dB at 2000RPM
    Efficiency > 70%
    Safety Approval UL, CUL, TUV, CE, and CB certification
    Certification N/A

Do u think i should get a new PSU? If so, can u recommend one?

Sorry to go on, looking to order this today :D Is there a way to check wattage required for the pc build?
    Do u think 470w would be ok? If not, how about 550w?
    (Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W) - €54.94

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Sorry to go on, looking to order this today :D Is there a way to check wattage required for the pc build?
    Do u think 470w would be ok? If not, how about 550w?
    (Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W) - €54.94

if you got spare cash, go for new PSU.

remember that PSU might be even most important part of your pc, so newer cheap out on that. if it goes, it can take all of other components with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

29A on the 12V rails is fairly poor. That's worse than even the 450W amazon. It would probably be enough but it would be no harm to upgrade to a newer, more efficient PSU.

thanks guys, what PSU would u recommend; what wattage would be enough?

I was reading norrie rugger got the 550W (with an i5-2500; z68; Radeon 6850) and it tripped the circuit box; so worried the PSU is inadequate. What do u think of these?

Super-Flower SF650P14P 650W €42.23

Super-Flower SF700A14A Gamer Edition 700W (€61.79)

I'm curious about these Kiss Quiet brands, are they reliable? -- but it is on the cheap side, so i'm skeptical
    Kiss Quiet 620W €32.83
    Kiss Quiet 850W €53.32

Would u recommend something else? I would like it to be as quiet as i can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

thanks guys, what PSU would u recommend; what wattage would be enough?

I was reading norrie rugger got the 550W (with an i5-2500; z68; Radeon 6850) and it tripped the circuit box; so worried the PSU is inadequate. What do u think of these?

Super-Flower SF650P14P 650W €42.23

Super-Flower SF700A14A Gamer Edition 700W (€61.79)

I'm curious about these Kiss Quiet brands, are they reliable? -- but it is on the cheap side, so i'm skeptical
    Kiss Quiet 620W €32.83
    Kiss Quiet 850W €53.32

Would u recommend something else? I would like it to be as quiet as i can get it.
    If you want a new PSU get the sf Amazon 550 watt. The other sf aren't good at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bonesy.

i think they are packies
    Did nobody see this comment?:eek:

Just report/ignore the troll comment bonesy.
    Eboggles wrote: »
    If you want a new PSU get the sf Amazon 550 watt. The other sf aren't good at all.

Thanks man - would it be safer to get the 550w rather than the 650w (for an extra €15)? 550w the one norrie rugger got - i'm worried it won't be enough as we have practically the same build and I don't wanna risk frying the computer.

Should i be getting a processor fan? Like the one Markd250 mentioned
    ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 13 Pro

• Advertisement

550w is more then enough m8. you can jam 7970 on that sort of psu...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Just report/ignore the troll comment bonesy.

Thanks man - would it be safer to get the 550w rather than the 650w (for an extra €15)? 550w the one norrie rugger got - i'm worried it won't be enough as we have practically the same build and I don't wanna risk frying the computer.

Should i be getting a processor fan? Like the one Markd250 mentioned
    ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 13 Pro

Funny you should mention that fan, I have it myself and it's a beaut, get it if you want a nice overclock and/or a quiet(er) system. The 550 will run almost every single new graphics card out there including the 7970! Only pulls (the system) under 400 watts at full load.

Edit: Didn't realise Shadowhearth mentioned it a post above, silly me.

Cheers guys, ordered from HWVS.de there! Awaiting e-mail conformation, hopefully it'll come in time to nip to the bank 2m.

So stoked. Absolutely can't wait!! :eek: :o

All in including the PSU & Processor fan + P&P was €870....far above my 600 but hey, overclocking awaits :D Gotta stay ahead of the new Xbox etc :pac:

Cheers guys, ordered from HWVS.de there! Awaiting e-mail conformation, hopefully it'll come in time to nip to the bank 2m.

So stoked. Absolutely can't wait!! :eek: :o

All in including the PSU & Processor fan + P&P was €870....far above my 600 but hey, overclocking awaits :D Gotta stay ahead of the new Xbox etc :pac:

after you will start up your babe, you wont come back to xblender m8.

Just got this in an e-mail, they've given two bank account details - Deutsche Postbank AG Dortmund and another for Sparkasse Soest. Is either grand - "Intended Purpose" # but different everything else; BIC SWIFT, IBAN, Bank code etc.

It says "Payment type: prepayment
    Please pay on credit transfer to successional account.
    Please use exclusively one of these accounts, even if you know further admits of accounts." :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Markd250

Yep, choose one. I've used the Deutsche Postbank AG Dortmund account before, no problems.

Just remember to put your reference number in so they know who the money is coming from! :D

Markd250 wrote: »
    Just remember to put your reference number in so they know who the money is coming from! :D
    Is the order # or the intended purporse # the right one to put in?

Here's what i got to take to the bank

Order No. 150231xxxx (after i ordered on HWVS.ie)
    Intended purpose: V1829865-143xxxx (in the e-mail i got)

Beneficiary Country: Germany
    Beneficiary Name: hardwareversand.de GmbH
    Beneficiary Address 1: Daimlerweg 4,
    Beneficiary Address 2: Registergericht Arnsberg
    Beneficiary Address 3: HRB 5956, 59821 Arnsberg
    International Bank Account Number (IBAN): DE73440100460731239469
    Swift Address (BIC): PBNKDEFF
    Beneficiary Bank Name: DEUTSCHE POSTBANK AG
    Beneficiary Bank Address 1: Deutsche Postbank AG
    Beneficiary Bank City: Dortmund

I just want it done on my side :)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Markd250

Intended purpose - I had forgotten what wording they use for it!

Got the bank transfer done today. And now we play the waiting game

9f07_064.jpg

Oh my God i'm dying!

Hey guys, been reading up on constructing PCs over the last few days. Have a few Qs -

1. i'm getting a i5 2500k & a Z68 mobo. Does the monitor cable go into the mobo or graphics card?

2. I have an external dvd drive, a working (old) PC, and a Win 7 install DVD. What's the best way to install Win 7 on a new, blank SSD for the new PC? (I worry a new computer can't recognise an external DVD-drive without windows so i'll have to use the old PC in some way.)

3. Can you guys recommend an expansion slot for usbs? Will any do? How about this? Em, would USB 3.0 slots make 2.0 USB external hard drives read/transfer faster?

Thanks for reading :)

• Advertisement

1. You connect pc in to gpu.

2. I have no idea how it work to be honest. I know for sure I couldn't install it as win7 did not liked any USB devices plugged in while installing.

3. It will work faster only if drive USB 3.0 too. If its 2.0 it will work as 2.0

With Z68 boards you can connect to either, but you should probably connect to the card for better performance. If you connect to the board, you can take advantage of the Lucid Virtu technology which allows you to switch between the onboard and dedicated GPUs. It could be handy for video conversion and power savings, but realistically you don't save a whole lot although it could depend on how you use your system.

You could try installing from a USB flash drive.

What SH says about USB is true. You can't upgrade existing USB ports. They only give you two normally, and possibly an onboard header for more with most motherboards. If you want more USB 3 ports, you have make sure that it's USB 3 expansion ports that you're buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

You could download a .iso of windows 7, Install via USB then use your product key from your current windows to activate it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Yeah, its way better to install windows 7 off a flash drive. download a iso off the microsoft website (make sure it matches the version of windows you bought) and then use the windows 7 download tool to mount it to the usb drive.

Thanks guys. I'm convinced my current/old computer is sentient. It knows I've ordered a new computer - I've lost two hard drives in the last two weeks. One external, one internal; 2.5TB gone :(

the internal sata was grand, then the computer turned itself off for a split second and started reloading windows, secondary SATA not found; won't spin up at all. Tried changing the sata cable and power lead (with a hdd that works - the cables work) and nothing :(

anything i can do?

With the external one, you could open up the enclosure and connect it to the SATA ports inside the PC, unless it's an older drive. It might void warranty though.

If there's any specific thing that could be causing problems like a dying PSU, it might be worth your while to wait until you have the new PC in your hands.

Cheers, i'll put the kaput HDD in the new comp; hopefully; but i think it's brown bread. Sigh! Hey, do i need to buy thermal paste separately when building a pc? Does it not come with the processor/processor fans?

HWVS money cleared with this this morning; hope they send it off 2n/2m morn :)

Yeah, you do get some if you ordered a separate heatsink or you get a thermal pad sort of thing or stuff already on the heatsink if you go with the stock Intel one.

Would it be worth putting my sb live sound card in the new CPU with the z68 mobo in? Like which would sound better?

• Advertisement

Sound quality has increased over the years for integrated cards and is enough for most people. Dedicated cards are certainly better if you have a keen ear or are doing professional work.

If the card is a bit older there may be very little difference in quality and you should give the onboard sound a go. If you're not happy with the quality, switch in your old card. It's handy to have a spare in case something wrong happens down the line.

Advertisement