Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Repairing demister on Nissan Almera

• 10-12-2007 8:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    My demister for the back window on my Almera just went.

Went into the dealers thinking it'd be a nice handy job to repair but they tell me the whole console that houses the heater dials/radio/demister etc would need to be replaced costing 230 euro.
    That's outside of an 80 euro diagnostic and labour costs.

So could be 400 euro or more to get it done.

Anyone know any cheaper alternative to get this fixed?
    Maybe some Almera owners could shed some light on this.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Try a breakers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Why don't you try take the console into a TV/Video repair place (if you can find one) and ask if they can do a repair. Often it's only a PCB track or single component or switch which needs work, a complete console replacement is a WASTE!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Try this chap on ebay. He's helped me out with a few small bits & pieces and he's genuine

His ebay name is nissanautoparts

http://myworld.ebay.com/nissanautoparts

• Registered Users Posts: 23,198 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Have you tried the basic stuff like fuses and relays. If you can remove the switch and have a good look around, do. It may be an ordinary on/off switch or something more advanced. If it is a simple switch you could easily bypass it to check if it works. The nissan main stealer, sorry dealer are probably just chancing their arm hoping you will say go ahead and fix. Does the switch light up? Are there any other electrical items not working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Why don't you try take the console into a TV/Video repair place (if you can find one) and ask if they can do a repair. Often it's only a PCB track or single component or switch which needs work, a complete console replacement is a WASTE!

Thanks for the replies lads.
    A local mechanic had a quick look and told me all that is needed is a switch and if I got the part he'd fit it for me.
    You suggest that a switch would be easy to source or fix is that right?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

Try this chap on ebay. He's helped me out with a few small bits & pieces and he's genuine His ebay name is nissanautoparts http://myworld.ebay.com/nissanautoparts

Thanks.
    I checked the link and he does have switches for 95-99 Almeras listed. Mine is a '02 but he says on the site he does other years as well.
    Thanks.

I'll send him a message tomorrow.
    If it works i'll have saved myself close to 400 quid :)

mickdw wrote: »
    Have you tried the basic stuff like fuses and relays. If you can remove the switch and have a good look around, do. It may be an ordinary on/off switch or something more advanced. If it is a simple switch you could easily bypass it to check if it works. The nissan main stealer, sorry dealer are probably just chancing their arm hoping you will say go ahead and fix. Does the switch light up? Are there any other electrical items not working?
    No the switch doesn't light up as it should (even though it does flicker very occasionally when pressed).
    A local mechanic took a quick look and told me it was the switch that needed to be fixed. All I needed to do was buy the part and he'd fit it. All the other electrics seem ok. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Not too surprised with the back windows...if they have swivels I'd seriously doubt their full auto capabilities unless someone in nissan has fitted the wrong doors on the production line. ;)

Trying to charge for diagnostics and repair is a bit rich though. Wondering if they charge for the use of screwdrivers and spanners as well....Because diagnostic are a tool to find the source and a potential fix for a problem. A bit like eyes, a human brain and a number 13 ratchet spanner

Not too surprised with the back windows...if they have swivels I'd seriously doubt their full auto capabilities unless someone in nissan has fitted the wrong doors on the production line. ;) Trying to charge for diagnostics and repair is a bit rich though. Wondering if they charge for the use of screwdrivers and spanners as well....Because diagnostic are a tool to find the source and a potential fix for a problem. A bit like eyes, a human brain and a number 13 ratchet spanner

Actually you're right. Scratch everything I said about the back windows not working-
    they're not meant to be electric, d'oh!
    So AFAIK that means everything works OK from an electronics point of view apart from the demister.

Advertisement